WW Clubs and Groups - No Carbonated Beverage Challenge

View Full Version : No Carbonated Beverage Challenge

MistySeptember
08-13-2007, 10:13 AM
Whether you call it pop, or soda, or if it is diet or regular for some of us it doesn't really fit into our healthier lives. So here's a challenge, we'll post our streak of days without the bubbly stuff and see how long we can last.

For me personally I can't drink diet b/c I can't have artificial sweeteners. Mt dew is my afternoon pick me up, but a can has turned into a bottle into two bottles into my secret stash of 24 ounce 6 packs in the veggie crispers in the fridge at work. I order out constantly. I am a gatoraid junkie as well, but I am starting with the Dew. I will still allow myself sweetened, flavored beverages just no pop.

Anyone with me?

modkittn
08-13-2007, 10:26 AM
I never drink soda anymore! Its always water, tea, or coffee for me :) So this won't be much of a challenge! :lol:

jar1965
08-13-2007, 11:25 AM
Hey Misty! count me in! I was just telling my DH that I have to lay off sodas!!! I am a diet pepsi/diet mt. dew freak!!!! I drink way way too much! This last week, I have started to drink a lot of water and the generic version of the crystal lite packets that you add to your water bottle. My fav. is the morning orange breakfast drink from Wal-Mart!
Anyways.........I'll keep you posted too!:carrot:

PS - Misty - I hope I didn't offend you on my other post, I really was trying to be helpful!!!!:goodvibes I'm behind you 100% girl!!! Good Luck! And, did you sleep on the job situation over the weekend and make any decisions?

jar1965
08-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Thanx Lori! I'll check out some of those threads! Probably the 40 - 50's! Ahhhhhh! lol, so just kidding!

ValentineNicole
08-13-2007, 12:26 PM
I haven't touched a soda since April 1 :) I did just buy two though... *blush* They're japanese imported soda, however, so it's not a normal occurence for me - and I'm saving them for a special occasion!

MistySeptember
08-13-2007, 06:25 PM
YAY! Thanks for joining me Jeanne! You did not offend me in anyway. I just got to thinking that here I am whining about my job when there is so much worse out there. I lived a blessed life. It would take a lot to offend me!

WAY TO GO LORI and NICOLE! You are both an inspiration!

I made it through a day at work. I have a caffeine headache, or maybe it's a trapped in a room with 6 kids that sounded like 50 kids on a hot summer's day headache. ;)

MistySeptember
08-14-2007, 09:14 AM
Day 1 officially down. Onto day two! I even drank 10 cups of water yesterday!

jar1965
08-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Hi! Day one down for me as well! NO SODA yesterday at all! Woooosh! It was tough - but - that challenge was weighing on me! Yay!

MistySeptember
08-15-2007, 09:24 AM
Day Two down! The Pepsi in the fridge at work is KILLING me! I'm not typically a Pepsi drinker but all those shiny blue cans all lined up for the taking were so tempting! But I stocked the veggie crisper with water and drank 10 cups yesterday! I did have a sweetened tea, but it's not pop! Besides after seeing the scale today I don't know that I'll buy that any more either!

jar1965
08-15-2007, 09:52 AM
I made it through day two as well with only 1/4 of a diet coke! I really really tried, but I had an upset stomach all day. I don't usually drink coke products - I'm a diet pepsi girl all the way - well anyways, because of the challenge I went into SubWay beside where I work and chose diet coke, because I knew I would only drink a little bit! So....................this is really big for me!
Misty - I love sweet tea! Have you tried McDonalds Sweet Tea - if you haven't - DON'T! lol! It is really good! Do you like the diet sweet teas? I personally like fresh brewed with lemon and sweetner when it comes to ice tea.

jar1965
08-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Well we had to be at the hosptial at 6:00 a.m. this morning because DH had minor surgery. He is doing well. It was outpatient and we are home! However, I went to the vending machine for a bottle of water and came back with a diet pepsi! And........I drank every last drop! Ahhhhh! I was doing so well, but I was restless!

MistySeptember
08-17-2007, 08:28 PM
I hope DH is doing ok. Great job at Subway!

I don't like McD's sweet tea. It's too sweet. I can't have anything diet. Splenda, Nutrasweet ect give me migraines. I am trying to adapt myself to plain tea again. I used to drink plain iced tea a lot. I ordered it when we went out to dinner on Wednesday and Today at Lunch.

MistySeptember
08-20-2007, 09:23 PM
I MADE IT A WHOLE WEEK! Uh-Huh, Uh-Huh, Uh-Huh Insert Dancing Llama here...seriously why don't we have a dancing Llama? Ok I guess a broccoli will have to do:broc: or maybe a cow I guess that's closer to a Llama :moo:

So yeah anyway I made it a week. :carrot:

jar1965
08-22-2007, 08:13 AM
Yay Misty!!!!!! And look what I found for you
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/XBlaze_photo/llllllllama0wl1rc.gif
it's suppose to be a dancing lalma
heehee!

I did extremely well - I didn't make it cold turkey so to speak - but definately drank a lot less soda than usual!

MistySeptember
08-25-2007, 12:12 PM
JEANNE I LOVE IT!!!!!

Great job to you too. Just cutting back is a big step. I had a rough day yesterday. It was so hot. I was really grumpy, we were short staffed b/c the college kids have left our director had the day off and one of the nursery workers went home with a migraine. But I made it! Monday will be two weeks!

MistySeptember
08-28-2007, 08:29 AM
14 days!

jar1965
08-28-2007, 01:49 PM
14 Dayssssss!!!!!!!!! Wooohooo! Good For You!

modkittn
08-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Well I'm not on the challenge, but I have to say that I had a soda yesterday and thought of all of you. First time in 2-3 months! I'm not usually tempted by them, but I just felt like I really needed one yesterday :)

ThinGirl in FatBody
08-28-2007, 02:28 PM
I've had 4 diet sodas since May 5th. 2 teas and 1 coffee - other than that I've only had water, 8 bottles a day.

jar1965
08-28-2007, 05:11 PM
Hi thingirl! OMG 34 pounds is awesome!!!! great job! How long did it take you to loose the 34#? Great job on the non carbonated beverage challenge!

ThinGirl in FatBody
08-28-2007, 05:32 PM
I started my diet on May 5th, and by August 5th I was down 30lbs :)

30lbs in 3 months!

My next official weigh in is this Saturday, but I know I'm at 40lbs lost now - so I can safely say 40lbs in 4 months!

Thanks for the good wishes, giving up pop/tea/coffee etc was rough the first couple of weeks but I am so over it now.

MistySeptember
08-29-2007, 08:09 AM
WOW ThinGirl!!! Awesome job! what program do you use? I've made it two weeks without pop, but now I need to give up the flavored iced green tea that I have started to replace the pop with :o It's lower in calories than pop, but it's still useless points. I am getting in 5-6 bottles of water a day at work, which would equal 10-12 cups; plus 1-2 bottles of tea.

I need to drink unsweetened decaf. tea, which I have been doing when we eat out, now I just need to do that all the time.

ThinGirl in FatBody
08-29-2007, 08:28 AM
I found out I was diabetic on May 1st, saw a dietitian on May 5th who put me on a diet that is good for diabetics. No white flour, no sugar, no salt, low fat - 3 meals a day + 3 snacks. I feel like I'm eating all the time. Also, I do an hour of cardio a day, but when I started I could only do 15 minutes, I've worked up to an hour since.

I drink 8 x 591ml bottles of water a day which is about 20 cups of water. I don't drink soda, teas - just water.

Also, I started taking Alli in July, I averaged 2lbs lost a week, when I started taking Alli it went to 2.5-3 lbs a week.

jar1965
08-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Hi ThinGirl! We were just talking about Alli recently. Is there anything you can tell us?

MistySeptember
08-29-2007, 08:07 PM
Great job! It'd be interesting to hear your perspective on Alli.

I had a green tea with ginseng and honey today. I feel like I need something sweet to get me through my afternoons. I don't know what it is. Green Tea is way better than a snicker and mt dew though, right? Small steps LOL

ThinGirl in FatBody
08-29-2007, 09:42 PM
Well, as you probably know, Alli is the half strength dosage of Xenical, half the strength but apparently 85% as effective. It works in your intestines, it doesn't go into your blood stream or organs like a regular drug.

It prevents you from absorbing 25-30% of the fat you are eating. So if you are having a dinner with 15 grams of fat, you will only absorb around 10 grams!

You can eat more with alli, be a little more generous (ie) I put some parmesan cheese on my wholewheat pasta/sauce now, therefore my meal tastes better, I enjoy it more, I don't feel deprived and I'm more satisfied with what I am eating.

You don't need to take it with low fat meals (ie) my 1.5 gram bowl of cereal for breakfast, it would only prevent me from absorbing .5 of a gram so it's really a waste of a pill. I take them with dinner and lunch only.

Now, the other good thing about Alli is it has some 'Treatment effects' if you go over the fat gram limit. A lot of people are horrified at the thought, but really it's a great insentive to stay on your plan - you don't want orange oil leaking out your butt, right?? so you think twice about binging on quarter pounders with cheese.

Now, say you do binge - well you are going to get the orange oil, but it's your friend, not your enemy as it's the fat coming out of your body that could have gone to your chin or thighs.

I recommend Alli, it helps me stay on plan, it lowers my fat absorption and it takes the fat away if I eat a high fat item.

jar1965
08-29-2007, 09:57 PM
hmmmmm, orange stuff coming out my butt is my friend!?!?!? lol
Just kidding ThinGirl! I have heard that.........and I also heard that you get explosive direahea if you eat that quarter pounder with cheese! I am sure that mentally you would have to prepare and definately want to stay OP! Those are the same stats (25%-30%) that I have read about. Well I think it is absolutely awesome how well that it is working for you! I'm very excited for you on 34# you have lost! Keep it up!

ThinGirl in FatBody
08-29-2007, 11:13 PM
I've never had the explosive episodes, just the orange oil (remember, it's your friend :) )

Alli is definitely helping me stay on track. Thanks for the good wishes, my next weigh in is on Saturday, I am hoping to hit the 40lbs lost mark.

MistySeptember
08-30-2007, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the info! Sounds like it is working for you then. Great job!!!!!!! Best of luck on your weigh in!

Have you had any negative side effects of reducing your fat that much? I know it's not reducing your fat 100%, but if you are already eating low fat and decreasing it farther that is quite a reduction. I had a ww leader who ate very little fat when she first started the program. Then all her hair fell out, not just some I mean almost all! She started following the WW guidelines more closely and included the healthy fats and her hair slowly came back. She went low fat not non fat on some of her foods as well. So if you are already focusing on lower fat foods, are you noticing any side effects by having the fat reduced farther?

If you are out and McD's or other fast food is your only choice, which is often an issue with me and where we live what do you choose? If you don't take the pill with the meal do you still have issues with orange oil? I can't have salads from fast food places I get sick.

I am really enjoying the benefits of not drinking pop. Not to share TMI, but I probably will.... I was struggling with IBS with diarrhea symptoms. It was effecting me at work, at home, when I was shopping or out and about. I'd eat and have to run, sometimes I didn't make it :(. It was horrible when that happened at work and I had to go home...luckily there was also a flu bug going around and I could blame it on that. But even if I didn't drink pop with the meal, like breakfast I had problems. And it hurt, it felt like my guts were gonna fall out. I had sort of linked it to drinking fountain pop at restaurants, but didn't realize that drinking it from the bottle or can seemed to be effecting me as well. That didn't seem to be a 1:1 correlation like drinking it at McD's seemed to be. I asked the dr about it and it was so embarrassing. He did some tests and then suggested samples....that's where I drew the line! I quit drinking pop altogether and haven't had a problem at all! I still avoid lettuce b/c that also seems to trigger issues. I eat all my salads without lettuce.

SO not drinking pop is helping me in more than one way! Have a great day everyone!

modkittn
08-30-2007, 10:01 AM
Hi Misty! A great choice at McD's is the grilled chicken sandwhich, hold the mayo! That is what I will get if I HAVE to eat at McD's. That and a yogurt parfait. Nice, healthy and filling meal :)

ThinGirl in FatBody
08-30-2007, 07:16 PM
Best of luck on your weigh in!

Thanks!

Have you had any negative side effects of reducing your fat that much?

Not at all, I'm feeling great, my hair is thick and nice, no problems at all.

For breakfast I only have 2 grams of fat in my cereal/milk. For lunch I have 10 grams with a pill, so it's more like 6 grams. And dinner 15 grams which is more like 10. I also have 2 glasses of milk a day that I'm not counting in those meals - so that's some more fat. Also my snacks often include cottage cheese or yoghurt that I'm not counting.

If you don't take the pill with the meal do you still have issues with orange oil?

Yes, you may well have issues because to my experience Alli stays inthe system for a while, and you may digest your food slowly. (ie) if you have a micdonalds lunch with no Alli, and then take an Alli with dinner or breakfast the next day - that mcdonalds in your system can still be affected.

To tell you the truth I have not had any mcdonalds or other fast foods since May. The only time I went over my fat grams and had the orange oil was when I went to a party and had greasy appetizers and brownies :o and once when I was having the worst day ever at work and had a Mrs Fields cookie (okay 2!)

On the general diets forum there is an Alli thread that lots of people post on, good place for questions. :)

MistySeptember
09-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the info!!!!!

I'm still doing great in my challenge not to drink Pop. I feel much better since I stopped. So why not keep going?