Support Groups - Home of the Loozing Floozies, #26

View Full Version : Home of the Loozing Floozies, #26

4myloves
08-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Here at McSkinneys, our mission is to motivate, support and lose those pounds & inches. We must keep those Loozing Floozies losing!!
Feel free to join our group of wonderful ladies. Come on in.....Give us YOUR motivation,support and ideas. We would love to have you!!

:welcome: :welcome2:

4myloves
08-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Hey, ladies.

Gayle, so sorry about Liz's friend's fiance. That is really sad. :(

Suzy, great news about Travis.

EVERYONE--y'all are doing such a great job! I stuck the five-pound challenge thread.

Deelite
08-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Gayle how did your mom's heart check up go? You are so lucky to be able to take her to this appointment. It is just amazing what she made it through.
I have had a heart monitor on for two weeks now. Hopefully they will be able to see what is going on.
When is the funeral. That is really sad.

Suzy I am so happy to hear that Travis is moving closer. I take it for granted that my kids live a mile or less away.

You girls are doing great. It is nice to see that the board is active again.

Our dinner party was so much fun. Nobody had been to a clam bake before. It cooked up perfect. I would definitely do it again.

Saturday when we were getting ready for the dinner Dez called. She was at Ashely's parents place. Her Dad feel out of a tree and was injured. Nobody was with him so she stayed with him in the hospital. Debbie his wife came later and Dez stayed with her. He broke two ribs, his wrist, hand, dislocated his shoulder and has some bleeding. They aren't sure if it is just from the fall or is there is internal injuries. We were so worried about him. He is lucky that is all that happened.
Also on Saturday night a good girlfriend of mine, the one that hosted all the tea times had a heart attack. She will be going for angiogram and probably a shunt in the next few days. She had been having problems for the last month but asumed it was her new meds that was making her nausiated. (sp?)

What I learned from this is you never know what is going to happen the next minute. Love while you can.

xox

ShelleyM
08-14-2007, 07:08 AM
Dee-That is so true. Prayers to all your friends. I didn't know you were having heart problems again. You have suffered so long with it, plus your back. Do they think maybe your back problems are connected to the heart problems? Have they ever checked that out? Please let us know what happens with the monitoring.

SuzyMc
08-14-2007, 10:35 PM
What I learned from this is you never know what is going to happen the next minute. Love while you can.

You are so right Dee!

Deelite
08-15-2007, 10:49 PM
Pretty quiet here today. I hope that there is some losers out there!

Good news! My girlfriend went for her angiogram and they found that she needs only meds. They also found out yesterday that she has had at least 2 out heart attacks beside the one she had on the weekend. It is amazing what they can find out from your blood.

I am bring back my heart monitor tomorrow because something is wrong with it. Hopefully they captured what is going on. I am also going for my ct scan tomorrow to check if I had a stroke. I doubt that I did but the dr is airing on the side of caution.

Shelley my back problems are not linked with my heart problems. One is disk and the other one is a fast and irregular heart beat. Good thinking though.

Ashley's dad is feeling a lot of pain. He has the most pain in his shoulder and they don't even know what is wrong with it because it is so swollen. When it goes down they will be able to check it out better.

I am so tired today. I think that I am going to lie down with a magazine. Night all.

alinnell
08-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Prayers needed.

Last night, my Buddy dog had either a stroke or a seizure. He threw up and is having difficulty walking. He's 13-14 years old, and we've noticed some neurological deterioration in his hind legs in the past few months. But this is so sudden. He won't eat this morning (and he is a chow hound--loves his food).

Then, this morning after my run, I noticed that Chico has some weird head twitch. He stops when I talk to him, but it's quite noticeable.

I'm wondering if they ate something poisonous.

Deelite
08-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Oh no Allison! You should have them checked out. They both shouldn't be sick.

Well my ct scan is over with, now I have to wait for results. I checked in on my girlfriend in the hospital and they released her.
I had a good day today. I went shopping and bought Larry's birthday gifts. Monday to Wednesday I am taking a trip down to Minnisoda's casion with Gail, Thomaz and Dez. I love the water park and where can you go to a hotel with suite for $15 a night. Gail even gets $20 a day to gamble and the meals are big enough to share and cost only $10. Cheap, cheap, cheap.
Larry's birthday is thursday and Jay bought us all ball tickets so that will be a nice evening.
Amigo my doggie is crying to go out so I bet run.

One more thing Gayle how did Liz make out at the funeral? I was thinking of her yesterday. My prayers are still with his family and friends.

ShelleyM
08-17-2007, 06:58 AM
Allison-I am sending prayers for your beloved pets.

Dee-Happy Birthday to Larry!

I was put on Zocor yesterday because of high cholestral. When I told her I don't eat fat, she asked if I exercise. Of course, the answer was yes. Since I am doing everything right, the only other option was med. Oh well, another disadvantage of growing old:(

Deelite
08-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Shelley is there someone else in your family that has high colestral? Can you imagine if you didn't watch your diet and didn't exercise what it would be like? It is a good thing you take care yourself.

Larry has the afternoon off today. It is a nice sunny day. Every second friday he gets off so we try a new restaurant for lunch. Not sure where we will be heading yet but I would like to sit on the patio.

Time to get my butt in gear and go swim.
Have a good weekend everyone.

gdeann
08-17-2007, 12:37 PM
My mom is on Zocor Shelley. She has reduced her level down to 1/2 tab every other evening. I know diet will help, but I'm really not sure how much. For her the change in diet worked.

Allison, I hope the pups are ok. Do you have something out that they could of gotten into? I know some bugs are even toxic to animals. I hope they are ok and you can figure out what is causing the problem.

Dee, Liz did ok at the funeral. He had to be cremated and that is hard for all of his friends to deal with. They said with a body or even a closed casket, there seems to be more closure. Amanda, bless her heart, is just young enough, she didn't realize until the family told her, he would need to be cremated. She is having a very difficult time, not sleeping, eating etc. I think I'm going to call a few girls I know at our Hospice and see if they will call her just to talk. It may help her to get involved in a grief support group.

Suzy, I hope things are going ok and your dad is still doing well.

All the other Floozies, I am here, just super busy and not enough time to post.

Mom had her annual heart appointment and the doc is very impressed with her progress. Now they are more concerned about her age catching up with her. They want her setup with a Lifeline so if she needs help and I'm not available. Try convincing a stubborn, independant 81 year old that it can be a good thing. LOL!

Well, I need to go! I have 3 golden bronze stud of men on top of me taking all of my attention! (Roofers are here today!) :-)

coles
08-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Prayers to you all. I have just been catching up.
Gayle how tragic such a young life. God needed him for something else.
Allison - let us know how your two dogs are doing. I know how you must be feeling both my dogs are fourteen.

gdeann
08-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Dee, I hope Larry had a happy B-day!

Janice, join us on the challenge thread! Nice to see you again!

Busy day today, I have relatives visiting, church and Steve is helping BIL shingle his house. Never a dull moment around here...

I hope everyone is having a GREAT weekend!

alinnell
08-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Buddy is slowly getting better. He still throws up if he drinks too much water, so we try to keep an eye on that (but when we're not home, what can you do?). His nystagmus (eyes not focusing) seems to be pretty much resolved. He still tilts his head to the right, but it seems to be less prominent. He still walks like a drunken sailor (not quite in a straight line) but isn't falling as much. He still refuses dog food (as well as chicken and steak) but I found a recipe that he will eat--it has a ton of calories, so I don't need to give him much and small amounts of food seem to be better for his tummy. Hopefully within the week he'll be even better.

4myloves
08-20-2007, 04:22 PM
What about Chico?

alinnell
08-20-2007, 05:32 PM
Oh, it turns out I was out of my mind. Either that or Chico was having sympathetic symptoms!!! He checked out just fine and the weird thing that I saw him do on those 2 occasions has not recurred. But at the time, I though it was poisoning. Buddy has something called Idiopathic Vestibular Disease--something that is very common in old dogs, cats and even people. It wasn't poisoning or a stroke or a seizure.

gdeann
08-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Happy to hear the pups will be ok Allison.

Shelley, I just read on a forum about red rice yeast (Walmart) I'm not sure where you will find it in the store. If taken on a regular basis, it can reduce your cholestrol without medication. A lady posted that her husband had extremely high cholestrol, started taking it and now is within normal range. Just thought I would share and you might want to research it. I know Zocor can be expensive!

gdeann
08-21-2007, 12:16 PM
Tried taking my own pic today. Did I tell you I look horrible in photo's? Guess I really don't need to... here I am, the good, the bad and the ugly! Good thing I have such a stunning personality.... :-)

4myloves
08-21-2007, 03:40 PM
I think you're bee-yoo-tiful!!

Deelite
08-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Gayle I don't think that I would recognize you face to face even though I have seen other pics of you. I like the close up you like nice in green.

Allison I am glad that your dogs were not poisoned.

Not much happenning around here.

I just got home last night from a three day trip to the states with Gail, Dez and Thomaz. We had a nie time.
Larry's birthday is today. We will be going to the ball game soon. Dez took him out golfing and Jay is paying for everyone to go to the game.

Dez went through some medical tests so that she could start taking her schooling for nursing. Her TB test came back positive. She went for an chest x-ray today to see what is happening. Her Hep A and B test also is a concern. She won't know what is happening for awhile til our doctor gets back in two weeks. She is pretty worried. She isn't sick so I am not worried. We will just have to wait and see.

Well time to go get ready. Have a good night.

ShelleyM
08-24-2007, 06:36 AM
Allison-I'm glad your babies are okay. All the prayers here must have helped.

Gayle-I love your picture. I think I would know you if I saw you in person.

Dee-My mom has tested positive for TB because she worked in a hospital. I'm sure Dez will be fine.

I have been super busy what with school beginning this past week. TGIF!!

gdeann
08-24-2007, 10:25 AM
I'll be thinking of Dez and hoping all works out ok! Tell Larry HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! You two go have fun!

Shelley, I knew you were probably busy with school starting. Are you going to do the afternoon job this year?

Cheryl, the baby is looking more like a baby each week. How are you feeling, hon? How is the grouchy MIL treating you?

I'm staying on plan and actually it is easier then any other plan I have ever tried. I am not fighting cravings which I now know came from the sugar. I have gave sugar and almost all processed foods the heave-ho. The most processed I will get is condiments such as dressings, ketchup etc. No more hamburger helper, mac & cheese... bread is not bothering me at all... the only thing I get a huge desire for is wine. A glass or two a night sounds so nice. I am day 47 wine free! Once I reach a weight I am happy with, I will add a small glass or two a night but use extreme moderation.

I hope all is going well for everyone!

4myloves
08-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Just wanted to drop in and give more than a one-line post!

Stewart went to my last Dr.'s appt. with me. I'm so glad he finally went to one--it'll be the ONLY one he gets to go to, unless he goes with me in December/January because he's about to start harvest hours at work (12 hour days/seven days a week).

We heard the baby's heartbeat for the 1st time, 161 beats/minute. I've had some people tell me that means the baby is a girl and others tell me it's a boy :?: I'll be happy either way.

My next visit is my 16-week appt. At that point, if the baby is in the right position, the Dr. MAY be able to tell me the gender :)

Deelite
08-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Cheryl it is so exciting to share your pregnancy with you. Pretty neat to hear the baby's heart beat. I am glad that Steward was able to hear it too.

Gayle I am glad that you found a program that works for you. I know that it is hard to lose and hard to maintain. It is a choice that we have to make.
Thanks for the birthday wishes for Larry. We had a really great time at the ball game with the whole family. Ashley's Dad is doing much better. Still in pain but not nearly as bad as a week ago.

Shelley I think that Dez will be fine too. Did your mom have to have any treatments for testing positive?
School here doesn't start til after the september long weekend which is the first weekend of september.
Did Mike have any luck with a job yet? Gee I wished you lived closer, Larry's company is crying for more employees.

My brother and his family are coming home tomorrow for 10 days. They only come once a year. It will be my Dad's 75th birthday on the 3rd so we are having a pig roast. We are hoping for about 50 people for dinner.

Did my cleanning for the weekend, now to go finish the laundry and I will only have to make meals this weekend.

gdeann
08-25-2007, 03:20 PM
Cheryl, I'm like Dee, it is exciting to share your pregnancy with you! I'm glad Stewart made it for the doctor visit. Are you going to try having the baby el' natural with no meds or have you thought that far yet?

Dee, I keep forgetting your parents are younger then my mom. I hope your dad has fun! The pig roast sounds yummy, how do you cook it? Around here some people dig a pit, start a fire, cover it back up and cook the piggie under the soil. It's all wrapped up of course.

Girls, do any of you have spider veins on your legs? I have some on one outer knee. They have been there forever, but today I noticed they are getting very dark and very noticable. Is there something I can use, like a cream to fade them? Surgery is not an option. I have some too on my inner knee's but the only one looking close enough to see those are Steve.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

ShelleyM
08-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Gayle-I have lots of spider veins. I don't do anything to stop them. I think I developed them from working out with heavy weights years ago. I would notice new ones after a rough workout. I love your new picture. I am still working the daycare.

Cheryl-It is exciting to go through your pregnancy with you. I can't wait to find out what you are having. I'm glad Stewart went with you to your appointment. I hope he is making tons of $$$ with the hrs. he is working.

Dee-No job yet for Mike. He is even sending resumes to Georgia and North Carolina. If he can find something, he'll commute from there to home a couple of times per month. I am still praying he finds something. I don't think we will be able to go on much longer.

SuzyMc
08-27-2007, 05:31 AM
Hi everyone!

Just a quick update on what is going on here. My dad's health is continuing to decline and he can no longer walk. He can sit in a wheelchair for short periods of time though and does enjoy getting out and sitting in the sunshine for a few minutes here and there. I have been spending quite a bit of time there and helping as much as I can.

I was there yesterday afternoon cutting grass when Tim called and said that his Aunt Hazel had fallen at a picnic and broken her hip (she is the same aunt that I stayed with last October when she was ill). They will hopefully be doing a hip replacement at some point today. She knows that she will most likely have to go to a nursing home for rehab and says that she won't fight it this time. It's a good thing because I don't think there is any way that I can take care of her and my dad, and the girls too. Tim and I are really her only family, so we'll have to work something out...I just don't know how we are going to manage it all yet. Things do have a way of working themselves out though, so hopefully everything will fall into place.

I can't remember if I told you all or not, but Travis' re-enlistment went through and he and dil will be moving to Cherry Point, NC in February! I'm so excited...NC seems like right next door compared to California! That's the one bright spot that is getting me through all this other stuff right now...that and ice cream. :^: SO much for my big 5 pound challenge, huh? :lol:

Cheryl ~ I'm glad that things are going well! 16 weeks is a little early to tell if it's a boy or girl. They told my dil when she had her ultra sound that they don't like to predict before 20 weeks, but you may be able to find out if baby is cooperative!

Dee ~ I hope that all goes well for Dez! That is scary...please keep us posted!

Shelley ~ I don't know how you all are managing...I hope Mike finds something soon. When do you go back to school?

Allison ~ I'm so glad to hear that your dogs are ok and that all is well.

Gayle ~ I love your new picture! It was so nice to sign in here and see your smiling face!

Janice ~ How are things going for you?

Has anone heard from Sherry and how things are for her?

Well I'm going to go back to bed for a couple more hours...I'll try and check in and let you know how today's surgery goes later on this evening.

ShelleyM
08-27-2007, 06:55 AM
Suzy-I am sending more prayers to your dad and Aunt Hazel. I had an Aunt Hazel whom I loved dearly. I really miss her. She passed away quite a few years ago.

Lynneye
08-27-2007, 07:11 AM
Suzy, keeping Aunt Hazel and the rest of your family in my prayers! Take it day by day and if need be, hour by hour!

Shelley, Hoping Mike finds something soon!

Dee, how was your Dad's party? It sounded like a great time!

Today is my first day back to work, so cutting this short! Classes don't start till next Tuesday, but teachers are back this week, to get things ready. Hope all are well and hi to everyone!!

4myloves
08-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Are you going to try having the baby el' natural with no meds

Heck NO!! They can knock me out for all I care!!! But I do want to at least TRY to breastfeed, so I guess I need to be awake when the baby comes and is ready to eat for the first time!

Deelite
08-27-2007, 02:05 PM
Shelley I often think of you and pray that things will improve financially. I am sure that this puts a stress on your marraige. It has to be tough to be the one working two jobs.

Gayle we will be cooking the pig in a barrow on a spit. We have cooked in a hole on the ground before and it was really good.
I don't have spider veins but I know that there are creams you can use. I don't know if they work though. Even avon has a cream.
How is the wedding plans going?

Suzy I am glad that you are able to spend time with your Dad. That is good that he still enjoys going out for a bit. Enjoy every moment that you have with him.
I am sorry to hear that Aunt Hazel has broken her hip. That is a tough surgery to recover from at her age. My prayers are with her and your Dad. Let us know how the surgery goes.
What were you doing up at 3:30 besides posting to us?

PUT THAT ICECREAM DOWN!

Debbi back to school means summer is drawing to an end. I am sure that the next couple of weeks are going to be really busy for you.
Dad's birthday party is next saturday but the whole family got together yesterday for dinner at mom and dad's. It was a lot of fun. Mom was just glowing as she said that this is her children and grandchildren. She was so pround of all 19 of us!

Cheryl I tried to go drug free with Jason but that didn't last long. I was induced so when the pain started to hit me I turned chicken. With Dez I knew better I took what ever they offered me. I am glad that you will try breast feeding. It gives the baby a much better start.

So what is everyone up to that is missing? Sherry, Janice, Vouge, Doni, Carol, who else am I missing?

Larry went to Huston bright and early this morning. He won't be home til midnight wednesday. It is nice not having to make lunch and supper for a few days. I was really lazy this morning. I stayed in bed til 9:30 and didn't even go to the gym. I mam planning on walking later but don't know if I will swim or do any weights. My back is really sore so if is wise just to take it easy put my feet up and read my book.

alinnell
08-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Drug free labor? What's that? I was more like, "how soon can I get an epidural?" I do recommend breast feeding, though. (but the first few days can be painful).

Sorry to hear about your Dad and Aunt, Suzy. But I'll repeat Dee's "put that ice cream down!"

Shelley~best of luck to your DH that he finds work soon. It's got to be stressful.

The kids head back to school next week, meanwhile Dana is stretching her wings. Yesterday, she and some friend drove to Newport for a concert and she didn't get back until 2 AM. I understand she is planning a trip to Long Beach in October to visit her girlfriend who is starting college this fall. Hmmm, my baby is growing up!

SuzyMc
08-27-2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks everyone! They will hopefully do surgery tomorrow (Tuesday 8/28) afternoon to replace the hip. They couldn't do surgery today as she is on Coumadin and needs to take medication to thicken her blood before the surgery. We made arrangements today for her to go back to the same rehab that she was in last October. The doctor says that if all goes well tomorrow that she will be moved to the rehab on Thursday or Friday.

Dee ~ I was up solving the problems of the world this morning...I tend to do that on occasion. I rarely get anything solved though! :lol:

As for the ice cream (a.k.a. frozen prozac)...I'm trying, but it really is better than drinking! ;)

4myloves
08-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Have any of you ever heard of Shaklee?

One of my friends in Minnesota used the vitamins while she was pregnant and has suggested them to me, since my DR hasn't ever recommended a pre-natal vite for me. I just wondered if any of you have any stories or comments.

alinnell
08-28-2007, 02:31 PM
Yes, I heard of Shaklee years ago.....it's in the same realm of, what is it called? It starts with an 'A' I think.....Oh, yeah, Amway. No magic here. Just hype. You should be able to find a sufficient multi vitamin at just about any store. For pregnancy, look for extra Folic Acid, iron and calcium.

gdeann
08-28-2007, 03:01 PM
I agree with Allison, Cheryl. When checking for one, make sure it isn't loaded with fillers. You might want to take it mid-day after eating, the extra iron seemed to always upset my tummy. Of course this is coming from someone who puked the first 7 months!!! Learn the word EPIDURAL very well! Have Stewart learn the word EPIDURAL very well! Ask your doctor if he/she knows what an EPIDURAL is... I had Liz natural (not my choice) so, when I became PG with Allison, on my first visit to the doc (different doc) I discussed pain management. Every visit after, I reminded him too! LOL! We don't want to scare you, but there really is no need in suffering, you will love your baby regardless if you feel pain or not. BTW: I could never nurse, I filled up, but nothing ever came out. Imagine me after birth with a machine hooked on each breast trying to suck something out! After about a day or two of that, I said forget it! Formula will be just fine! LOL!

Suzy, prayers sent sweetie! I wish I could be there to help you out. Steve the ice cream man giggled over your frozen prozac theory! LOL!

Gotta go! Just came in from mowing, spraying weeds and bug killer around the house!

SuzyMc
08-28-2007, 11:00 PM
Aunt Hazel's surgery today went very well and she says that she feels "wonderful"! Seriously...she said "wonderful" several times tonight! They said that she will be up and bearing weight and sitting in a chair tomorrow and taking a few steps. She will probably move to the rehab on Thursday or Friday at the latest as long as she continues to do well.

Gayle ~ There is something you could do...send Steve and a loaded ice cream truck to Pennsylvania! :lol:

Cheryl ~ I agree with the other girls, stick to the FDA guidelines for your prenatal vitamins. Now is not the time to experiment!

alinnell
08-29-2007, 12:22 PM
I had an aunt who broke her hip twice (once per side) and the only complication she had with one was that she got a urinary tract infection after she was discharged. That really got her down and more than once she said that she wondered if she was going to die. She was staying with us at the time and I remember my Mom being really worried. But once they figured out what her problem was and she got on antibiotics, she was feeling 100% better! Mind you, she was 94 years old with the first break and 97 with the second! I think it was the 2nd break that she got the UTI. It was so weird how the 2nd break happened, too. My Mom was visiting her (she lived alone in a Senior housing apartment) and they were walking from her apartment to the elevator when my Mom HEARD it crack/break and that caused her to fall. She didn't fall and break it like you would think.

gdeann
08-29-2007, 05:50 PM
Suzy, Aunt Hazel sounds like a very spunky lady. Good for her! Wishing her best and a speedy recovery!

4myloves
08-30-2007, 12:20 PM
I did something that I HATE when other people do to me-----I asked for advice and then I didn't take it!!!

I went ahead and ordered some Shaklee products. I ordered 4 months worth of vitamins and some laundry detergent. Don't ask me why.

Actually, I'm hoping the laundry soap will be comparable to the Watkins laundry soap I get every year at the state fair---I LOVE it and it lasts forever! When I read the description on the computer, it sounded kind of the same.

I'll let y'all know. Believe me, if it's NOT WORTH IT I won't be buying anymore, because it's danged expensive!

gdeann
08-30-2007, 06:40 PM
I had something really nice happen today!!! Not one single person other then my family has made a comment about my weight loss. This morning I finally had a client notice! I was so excited, I had to give her a hug! Then, this afternoon I had 2 staff members mention I had lost weight and was looking good! I'm on cloud 9!!! About time someone noticed! LOL!

Cheryl, I'm sure the vitamins are really good. Everything I ever heard about Watkins/Shaklee has been positive. In fact, my mom use to buy a flavored powder in large canisters from Shaklee. One could measure it out and make WONDERFUL homemade pudding! This was when I was younger and instant pudding wasn't heard of. I still LOVE warm pudding!!!! Oh, my gosh!!! I had to think about it, didn't I??? I better go drink more water! :-)

gdeann
08-30-2007, 06:41 PM
Cheryl, were did our baby ticker go to??? I wanna see the little bugger!

gdeann
08-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Where is our sweet little Shelley????

SuzyMc
08-30-2007, 10:55 PM
There was a change in plans today. The hospital called me just before 10 this morning and said that they would be moving Aunt Hazel to the rehab at 10! I got to the hospital just in time to gather her things and follow them to the rehab. She's all settled in and has even had her first round of PT! I went back and checked on her this evening and she said she didn't think she would have any trouble sleeping tonight...she was "pooped"!

gdeann
08-30-2007, 11:26 PM
YEAH for Aunt Hazel! Glad to hear she is on the mend!

Lynneye
08-31-2007, 01:58 AM
So glad to hear Aunt Hazel is all settled in and I am sure she isn't the only one in the family who is "pooped" tonight! I think you will sleep well too, Suzy!

First week back is to school is over for me! (I am taking Friday off this week and making a nice long weekend!) Next week students are back. I am looking forward to the start of the new semester! For me, it is easier to diet when I have a more rigid schedule. I am hoping to start losing again, now!

SuzyMc
08-31-2007, 09:26 AM
So much for a good nights sleep for me...I had some of the worst leg cramps last night that I have ever had in my life! I've been doing a lot of sitting this week, so I'm not sure if it was from that or from not drinking as much water as I usually do. Either way, I plan on getting out for an easy walk today and drinking a lot of water to see if I can work the soreness out. Does anyone else get leg cramps?

gdeann
08-31-2007, 10:23 AM
Suzy, go to Walmart and pick up a potassium supplement ** I use Natures Valley. I get KILLER leg cramps on the outside of one leg, starting at the ankle and working up into the calf area. Pure agony! Since I have been popping a potassium every so often, I'm not having problems. I upped my water intake too. If potassium doesn't work, try a magnesium supplement with zinc. Maybe your having sympathy pains with Aunt Hazel. LOL!

Debbi, enjoy your long weekend! Nice to see you here posting!

4myloves
08-31-2007, 11:28 AM
Wow, y'all were a busy group last night!!

Glad to hear Aunt Hazel is doing fine. She sounds spunky! Those leg cramps are a bummer--hope you find something that works for you in getting rid of them.

Debbi, a part of me wishes I were going to school again this semester. The part of me that's not sick and exhausted all the time!!! The last two times I've gone to the Dr. he's told me I should be getting over this, but I'm NOT! I've resigned myself to being sick for 9 months :) :barf:

Gayle, my beautiful darling, of COURSE people are going to notice that you've lost weight! And isn't it great motivation when they do? The baby ticker is back (as of now). I think the web-site was having problems yesterday.

Love you all!!!!!!

Cheryl

Deelite
08-31-2007, 01:50 PM
It has been a busy week. Phew I sure had my ups and downs. Dez went back to the dr, he said that there is an 85% chance that she will become sick with TB if she was infected in the last two years, still no ct scan for her overy (sp? stressful week can't spell) her hand was probably broken a couple of weeks ago but she left it too long and she wouldn't show the sexy dr her butt ( her cyst is growing back). My neice was here and there was a screw up with picking her and dropping her off. I was suppeaned (Ahhh Sp?) to go to court yesterday for our dog's liscence expiring. This is really stressing me out. I am not sleeping well. Sheeeesh I wish it wasn't me that had to go to court. My little ticker isn't doing so well.
On the good side of things we had a wonderful family bbq sunday at mom and dad's another one last night in the country at Gail's, and Dad's surprise party is tomorrow. Larry made it safely home from Texas. Larry has the afternoon off and we are going out to have a picnic onthe beach and go out for fish for supper. I need the meditation time. It is a long weekend so I am going to try to keep my mind off the negitive. Oh yeah and there is another good thing. Larry was called into the office yesterday and they gave him an extra $2000 bonus. Now if I can concentrate on the positve I can let the stress.

Can't say this week had been boring!

4myloves
08-31-2007, 02:29 PM
Yee-ow-za, Dee!!!

Grrrrlllll.......Slow down and take a deep breath, lord knows you need it!

All that with Dez would be enough to stress a momma out, but add everything else to it and you're in need of a VACATION!!!

Why do you have to go to court for your dog's license expiring? Is it like his rabies vaccines or something? I don't get it.

I take it your neice is gone again now? Well at least that's one thing you don't have to worry about anymore. I'm sure once she got into the family gathering she wasn't too worried about the mix-up in the scheduling!

ShelleyM
09-02-2007, 07:49 AM
I am so sorry I have been MIA! It has been so busy for these first 2 weeks of school, and Mom and Dad moved back in while their mold problem in the condo is being fixed. Today is my mom's 84th birthday, so we are just going to barbecue some chicken and Patty is going to make her a low-fat ice cream sandwich cake. I do so enjoy having them here.

Dee-I can't believe that cyst is growing back in Dez's booty. Do they say why? Can they maybe do laser this time instead of removing it with all the discomfort involved? You have had a rough week and I hope things get better for you.

Gayle-How nice that so many people have noticed your weight loss. I'm sure you are looking wonderful! I'm so proud of you. BTW, I had one of those machines trying to suck the milk out of me too. I gave up and didn't even try with Patty.

Cheryl-I had an epidural with Patty and it was the best thing that I ever had. I had her over the weekend, so I didn't really get it until I was dilated to 7, but when I did it was wonderful!

Suzy-I am so glad your Aunt Hazel is doing well. What a relief for everyone!

Debbi-Good luck with school. Mine has been a madhouse. Things just settled down a bit on Friday.

Hi, Allison!

Sherry, I know you are out there somewhere! Jump in and say hello. Same to Janice and all the other missing Floozies (Doni, Debbie, Carol, Ramona, etc)

SuzyMc
09-02-2007, 11:25 AM
I figured out the leg cramp problem...my back is out. I didn't think much about it at the time, but Thursday I ran into the door as I was stepping into the house. I hit my arm hard. It really hurt and left a gigantic bruise, so was just worried about my arm. That night was when I had the leg cramps and then the next day my back and neck started hurting, so I must have twisted my back when I hit my arm on the door. I called my chiropractor's office, but they closed Friday at noon and won't reopen until Tuesday morning, so I'm just trying to take it as easy as I can until I can get an appointment.

gdeann
09-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Dee, go to your pharmacy and ask for a black drawing salve, it can go by several names, just make sure it is Ichthammol (around 20%). We grew up calling it black salve. It should be called miracle salve. Cover Dez's boil area with the stuff, then cover with a bandage. Do this for a week or so and it SHOULD draw all the yucky stuff out! This will sound gross but one time a friend of mine had a huge abcess on his back, we pin pricked the top just to have an escape route then we covered the abcess for a few days. When I removed the bandage, most of the gunk just flowed from the spot. I could lightly apply pressure around the area and gunk continued to come out. After covering and doing that for about another week, the spot was empty! Gross, huh? But it works! It is dirt cheap too!
I hope life gets better! When it rains, it pours!

Suzy, get well sweetie!!! I hope you can get into the doc soon!

Deelite
09-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Thanks Gayle I will check it out. It sure beats surgery!

Suzy take care of that back. Rest up.

Shelley Happy Birthday to mom. I hope that your family had a wonderful time today.

Yesterday was Dad's party. It was awesome. We had about 55 people for the pig roast. The weather was perfect. I had so many compliments my head is about to busrt....hehe

Cheryl we are heading back to mom and dad's now. My brother's family leaves tomorrow. It sure had been a busy last 10 days.

Gtg Larry is ready.

ShelleyM
09-03-2007, 07:21 AM
Suzy-Healing vibes being sent your way...

gdeann
09-03-2007, 12:55 PM
:broc:DOWN 2 MORE POUNDS!:broc:

Deelite
09-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Gayle you are doing awesome. Shake it up baby!

Being that today is labour day I told Larry that he better do labour. Summer is over and there are lots of projects that needs doing. He is working on taking down one side of an old fence and rebuilding it today. He won't be able to finish it but hopefully by next weekend it will be done. We have to get started on renovating the bathroom. Yesterday we filled up the hot tub. The evenings are getting cooler so I am looking forward to using it. Just about time to close our pool too.
My brother and his family left this morning. It is sad because it will be a couple of years before we see them again. I was just getting to know the kids again. They are 18 and 16.

I am still in my jamies....I better go get changed.

alinnell
09-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Gayle~WTG!!!

Our labor day has been full of labor so far!! DH and I got up at 6 AM and spent 2 hours cleaning our patio, furniture and BBQ. It's so nice and clean now, but still too hot to eat out there.

I'm going shopping this afternoon. I cleaned out my closet and my dresser yesterday (I even cleaned out my cosmetics!). I got rid of so much old, icky stuff, so I have room for more!! I wish I had lost weight rather than gained 4 pounds so that clothes shopping would be more fun. Oh, well.

gdeann
09-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Thank you for the nice comments.

Allison, I cleaned out my closet yesterday too.

I found this great article about fat cells, water retention and weightloss and I thought everyone else might find it interesting too.

WHY THE SCALES CAN LIE:

We ve been told over an over again that daily weighing is unnecessary, yet many of us can t resist peeking at that number every morning. If you just can t bring yourself to toss the scale in the trash, you should definitely familiarize yourself with the factors that influence it s readings. From water retention to glycogen storage and changes in lean body mass, daily weight fluctuations are normal. They are not indicators of your success or failure. Once you understand how these mechanisms work, you can free yourself from the daily battle with the bathroom scale.

Water makes up about 60% of total body mass. Normal fluctuations in the body s water content can send scale-watchers into a tailspin if they don t understand what s happening. Two factors influencing water retention are water consumption and salt intake. Strange as it sounds, the less water you drink, the more of it your body retains. If you are even slightly dehydrated your body will hang onto it s water supplies with a vengeance, possibly causing the number on the scale to inch upward. The solution is to drink plenty of water.

A biologist at Berkeley shared something very revealing on the low-carb BBS system about 4 years ago that helps us all through the erratic weight fluctuations you invariably encounter:

"Fat cells are resilient, stubborn little creatures that do not want to give up their actual cell volume. Over a period of weeks, maybe months of "proper dieting", each of your fat cells may have actually lost a good percentage of the actual fat contained in those cells. But the fat cells themselves, stubborn little guys, replace that lost fat with water to retain their size. That is, instead of shrinking to match the reduced amount of fat in the cell, they stay the same size! Result - you weigh the same, look the same, maybe even gained some scale weight, even though you have actually lost some serious fat."

This is what we have been telling folks. You lose inches but not pounds because your body plumps the fat cells. I tell them it is a complicated biochemical process that your body replaces the fat molecules with water and fluids until you exceed your bodies predetermined fluid level. Then your body will release a chemical that releases all this stored water and you get a sudden overnight loss of several pounds. Then the cycle starts over again with inches gone and the scales lag behind.

The good news is that this water replacement is temporary. It's a defensive measure to keep your body from changing too rapidly. It allows the fat cell to counter the rapid change in cell composition, allowing for a slow, gradual reduction in cell size. The problem is, most people are frustrated with their apparent lack of success, assume they have lost nothing, and stop dieting. However, if you give those fat cells some time, like 4-6 months, and ignore the scale weight fluctuations, your real weight/shape will slowly begin to show.

Excess salt (sodium) can also play a big role in water retention. A single teaspoon of salt contains over 2,000 mg of sodium. Generally, we should only eat between 1,000 and 3,000 mg of sodium a day, so it s easy to go overboard. Sodium is a sneaky substance. You would expect it to be most highly concentrated in salty chips, nuts, and crackers. However, a food doesn t have to taste salty to be loaded with sodium. A half cup of instant pudding actually contains nearly four times as much sodium as an ounce of salted nuts, 460 mg in the pudding versus 123 mg in the nuts. The more highly processed a food is, the more likely it is to have a high sodium content. That s why, when it comes to eating, it s wise to stick mainly to the basics: fruits, vegetables, lean meat, beans, and whole grains. Be sure to read the labels on canned foods, boxed mixes, and frozen dinners.

Women may also retain several pounds of water prior to menstruation. This is very common and the weight will likely disappear as quickly as it arrives. Pre-menstrual water-weight gain can be minimized by drinking plenty of water, maintaining an exercise program, and keeping high-sodium processed foods to a minimum.

Another factor that can influence the scale is glycogen. Think of glycogen as a fuel tank full of stored carbohydrate. Some glycogen is stored in the liver and some is stored the muscles themselves. This energy reserve weighs more than a pound and it s packaged with 3-4 pounds of water when it s stored. Your glycogen supply will shrink during the day if you fail to take in enough carbohydrates. As the glycogen supply shrinks you will experience a small imperceptible increase in appetite and your body will restore this fuel reserve along with it s associated water. It s normal to experience glycogen and water weight shifts of up to 2 pounds per day even with no changes in your calorie intake or activity level. These fluctuations have nothing to do with fat loss, although they can make for some unnecessarily dramatic weigh-ins if you re prone to obsessing over the number on the scale.

Otherwise rational people also tend to forget about the actual weight of the food they eat. For this reason, it s wise to weigh yourself first thing in the morning before you ve had anything to eat or drink. Swallowing a bunch of food before you step on the scale is no different than putting a bunch of rocks in your pocket. The 5 pounds that you gain right after a huge dinner is not fat. It s the actual weight of everything you ve had to eat and drink. The added weight of the meal will be gone several hours later when you ve finished digesting it.

Exercise physiologists tell us that in order to store one pound of fat, you need to eat 3,500 calories more than your body is able to burn. In other words, to actually store the above dinner as 5 pounds of fat, it would have to contain a whopping 17,500 calories. This is not likely, in fact it s not humanly possible. So when the scale goes up 3 or 4 pounds overnight, rest easy, it s likely to be water, glycogen, and the weight of your dinner. Keep in mind that the 3,500 calorie rule works in reverse also. In order to lose one pound of fat you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in. Generally, it s only possible to lose 1-2 pounds of fat per week. When you follow a very low calorie diet that causes your weight to drop 10 pounds in 7 days, it s physically impossible for all of that to be fat. What you re really losing is water, glycogen, and muscle.

This brings us to the scale s sneakiest attribute. It doesn t just weigh fat. It weighs muscle, bone, water, internal organs and all. When you lose "weight," that doesn t necessarily mean that you ve lost fat. In fact, the scale has no way of telling you what you ve lost (or gained). Losing muscle is nothing to celebrate. Muscle is a metabolically active tissue. The more muscle you have the more calories your body burns, even when you re just sitting around. That s one reason why a fit, active person is able to eat considerably more food than the dieter who is unwittingly destroying muscle tissue.

Robin Landis, author of "Body Fueling," compares fat and muscles to feathers and gold. One pound of fat is like a big fluffy, lumpy bunch of feathers, and one pound of muscle is small and valuable like a piece of gold. Obviously, you want to lose the dumpy, bulky feathers and keep the sleek beautiful gold. The problem with the scale is that it doesn t differentiate between the two. It can t tell you how much of your total body weight is lean tissue and how much is fat. There are several other measuring techniques that can accomplish this, although they vary in convenience, accuracy, and cost. Skin-fold calipers pinch and measure fat folds at various locations on the body, hydrostatic (or underwater) weighing involves exhaling all of the air from your lungs before being lowered into a tank of water, and bioelectrical impedance measures the degree to which your body fat impedes a mild electrical current.

If the thought of being pinched, dunked, or gently zapped just doesn t appeal to you, don t worry. The best measurement tool of all turns out to be your very own eyes. How do you look? How do you feel? How do your clothes fit? Are your rings looser? Do your muscles feel firmer? These are the true measurements of success. If you are exercising and eating right, don t be discouraged by a small gain on the scale. Fluctuations are perfectly normal. Expect them to happen and take them in stride. It s a matter of mind over scale.

by Renee Cloe,
ACE Certified Personal Trainer

4myloves
09-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Please STOP!!!!

A new thread has been started (finally)!!!