Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-11-2007, 11:27 PM   #1  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

Default to my fellow horse lovers

I found a place near me to take lessons and it's reasonably priced! I start in 2-ish weeks once I get child care lined up. I am so darned excited!

They also have a lease program which has a discount for military, so I think that may have to be my Christmas present if I am near my target weight!

The next few weeks can't go by fast enough! I can't wait to be in the saddle again.

Guess I better go do some lunges to prep! LOL!!!
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 153.5/107.5/105

Height: 5'0"

That's awesome!!! Yay for you!! Getting into riding again a few years ago has changed my life...completely. Best thing I could've done and I know you'll be glad you made the decision. It's definitely the most fun exercise there is!!

My bratty mare bucked on me last night when I was riding. Hopefully you'll get one to ride that's a little better behaved than that.

Keep us posted on how it goes!!
goinforthegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:19 AM   #3  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Oh cakses, I'm so happy for you - and more than a little envious!! My original mini-goal reward regarding riding was to start lessons again when I dropped below 200lbs... but hubby and I made a deal that I would take up riding sometime next year when I am closer to, or at, my goal weight... (sort of to balance the treadmill purchase and so on...) I'm looking forward to it, and looking forward to buying all new gear (part of the deal! ) and I tell myself: Heather, you haven't done any serious riding for ten years - you won't miss another few months!

Good for you - that's awesome!!

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:52 AM   #4  
Starting Over

Yeah I was going to wait too but my husband is deployed and we have some extra money and darn it I deserve something for myself for taking care of my two kids alone! The lease program is what I am going to focus on being my final weight goal. And that is a HUGE motivator for me, I can't wait!!!
Old 08-12-2007, 12:06 PM   #5  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinforthegold View Post
My bratty mare bucked on me last night when I was riding. Hopefully you'll get one to ride that's a little better behaved than that.
Personally I love it when the horse isn't perfectly trained and bomb proof, I enjoy the "hotter" horses with a sassy attitude and totally enjoy a good buck!

I'm jealous that you're going to be able to ride, I just can't afford it right now, which is too bad because it's such good exercise! Have fun when you start your lessons again!
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 06:33 PM   #6  

Hi Cakses!

How are the horseback riding lessons going? Hope you are enjoying riding again!

Also, I have some articles on Pilates for equestrians if you
and the other members are interested.

Last edited by jahra; 09-15-2007 at 09:38 PM.
jahra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 06:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i hope you have fun. i love riding. my sister currenly has my horse since dh is in school and boarding a horse in atlanta is insane...but i miss it. She took him from me in july...i miss him. i'm probably going to go this week to go ride him (he's about 4 hrs away). Its a great form of exercise. I also highly recommend doing yoga too..it really will help your riding. I use to have an instructor whos dream it was to open a barn where you first did an hr of yoga than an hr lesson...it really does help. I love riding. I miss my pony...heres a pic of me and my pony
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sheslo...e2.jpg&.src=ph

enjoy your riding...you will find muscles you didn't know existed
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:46 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 153.5/107.5/105

Height: 5'0"

WOW, love the beach pics! I'm so jealous. I'd love to have a big huge beach to ride on like that. I'm stuck doing it in my backyard. I've got enough room to lope/canter around a bit but haven't gone galloping like that in an open area in probably a year or so...man I miss it.

And wisher, I know what you mean. I'm the same way. I won't ride anything bomb proof, drives me nuts, I find it so boring. We had my current mare's dam when I was a kid and she was the stereotypical crazy arabian that gives all other Arabs a bad name (course now I know it was more lack of training than being crazy) but I loved riding her. She took care of me when I was on her, making sure I never got hurt and although she was hyper and more than a little unpredictable, she was so much FUN!

I've been working on retraining my current mare for over a year now. She was 17 when I got her and barely even green broke. Worse than even just being really green, she had been allowed to get away with whatever she wanted her life. Her previous owners didn't expect or even require any kind of respect or anything. She went where she wanted when she wanted and at the speed she wanted...and they never worked at changing that I assume b/c they didn't know how. So, when I got her, she was spoiled, head strong, stubborn and a speed demon who thought she was the boss. And why shouldn't she? She had 17 years of history that said she was.

It's going slow b/c I don't have a lot of space and don't have an indoor, but she was doing beautifully! When I got her, she couldn't/wouldn't even whoa, never mind stand still. It was bad. We had a few really scary days in the beginning. There was no collection happening at all and no impulsion from behind. To get a lope/canter, she was just like a youngster, needing to fly around at about a mach 9 trot for 5 minutes before finally transitioning up. But I kept it up and she's now stopping beautifully with my seat/leg aids and an ever so slight amount of rein. She turns on a dime, and because of all the circling/balancing work I've done, our lope/canter transition is 100% better, she can go from a slow jog right into it and almost from a walk. She's also doing very well with leg yeilding and giving to the bit.

So, after all this work/improvement she decided about a month or so ago that she's just to darn old to be retrained and she's taken a huge step backwards. She's jigging non-stop again, flinging her head around and UP (which I had gotten her stop completely for close to a year), she's dancing and pitching fits on the spot and has decided to start bucking a little (which was something I didn't think she'd EVER do). It's bothering me so much b/c of all the work I've done to stop this behaviour and how far she had come. It's just frustrating b/c instead of continuing on in the training and bringing her even farther, I have to go back to the basics again and start from scratch.

Oops, sorry that got kinda long. Can you tell I'm kinda passionate about my baby?
goinforthegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:34 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

goforthegold - i love that place..its called Hunting island SC. You can ride your horses on the beach from Dec-Feb...it use to be only 1.5 hr drive from the barn. A great day trip. I miss my horse terribly. But at some point he'll be back. I'm like you, i like a horse with a bit more spunk. He's a QH but sometimes act like a thouroughbred.

i have a ton more pics of him but i figured i wouldn't bore anyone LMAO

cakses...let us know how the lessons go!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 01:35 PM   #10  
Starting Over

Dang, I wish I had an awesome update but I had to put lessons on the backburner due to childcare and about 101 other things. I am going to do my best starting in October to take 1-2 lessons. Once I move (which at the rate the Army is going might take all school year, gee thanks) and I am withint 10 minutes of the barn instead of 45 and the daycare is on post where I will be, things will get easier. For now I am still running 3 days a week adn walking 3 days a week and one off day. I am trying to strengthen my legs so that when I get back into riding, it won't be as much of a shock to the legs haha.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:00 PM   #11  
It's never too late

S/C/G: 187.8/146.8/133

Height: 5'0

It is so nice to see a thread with other riders on here! I rode/owned horses for most of my childhood through highschool, but then gave it up once I went to college (it was college or the horses - I had to choose college). I've been wanting to get back into ever since I graduated 2 years ago, but haven't been able to find the money. There are a lot of farms around where I live in Northern VA, but it is hard to find a cheap enough place when money is very tight (just bought a house this year so most of my money goes towards the house at this point). I just started a new job this past month and am hoping to get a raise in the next 6 months, then I might look around for somewhere to ride if my paycheck gets a little better. I miss riding so much! I definitely miss the exercise it gave me, especially my legs.
NoVaVTFan is offline   Reply With Quote