Old 08-10-2007, 02:27 PM   #1  

Default New to board and this forum

Hello everyone,

I just sent an into the main forum; and saw this one and knew I had to be here. I am a diabetic; on glucovance 2 pills 2 times a day. My doctor recently added Actos (which I have not yet started) because my numbers have gone up. Here is the scoop on me.

This year, I have lost 61 pounds so far. Due to my size that is doing it slowly; because I am morbidly obese. I know being on Glucovance makes weight loss even more difficult. So before my current weight loss; my average bg was 136; right around the time I had lost 40 of the 60; my numbers were averaging 260's daily. Sometimes I even went into the 300's which is very high for me. So after the blood test and that showing daily average of 264; my doctor prescribed Actos. Also my tri's which of course are high; went down about 60 points. but here is another thing that happened. My cholesteral which was perfect; now went up about 50 points so my doctor also wrote a script for some kind of cholesteral drug.

I am trying to find out why this is happening. The doctor didn't have any answers. My research on the internet shows that the fat cells hold toxins.... so I'm thinking my organs are not processing those toxins and getting them out; instead some are staying within me. So anyway, I am doing a cleanse right now and will be on it for 2-4 weeks; depending on how it works; then I'll revisit this issue and see if I need to add Actos.

I always hesitate with new meds because I tend to go into an anaphalactic (spelling?) shock with some meds; and I dread starting a new one.

Any suggestions? Ideas? What has been your experiences with actos? And I think Crestor is the cholesteral drug; anyone on that?

Take care all and thankyou for letting me be here.

Angel
Angel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:52 PM   #2  

Cool

Hi, Angel. Welcome to 3FatChicks and the support forum. Please come join us on the dieting with diabetes thread. There is lots of information and support there. I'm Type II and take Glucophage and Actos (15 mg). Glucophage does not interfere with weight loss but Actos in the higher dosages makes it harder to lose. I started out at 40 mg and my ankles swelled up. I have good control on the lower dosages. Unfortunately diabetics have difficulty with cholesterol levels. I take Zocor which has brought my cholesterol under control. I also take a high blood pressure drug. If your blood sugar is high you should follow your doctor's advice and take the Actos. Maybe you should call him and discuss your concerns about allergic reactions. Congratulations on losing all that weight! Stick with your program and you'll continue to lose.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:14 PM   #3  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi there ANGEL . . . to the Diabetes Support Forum and too. So glad to have you joining us, Chickie. You've definitely come to the right place for lots, and lots of support as you travel the lond winding road to better health and fitness.

Be sure to have a look at the Sticky "Getting to Know You" at the top of the forum . . . there you will read a lot of background information on some of us who are regulars around here. Then, as already mentioned by Rosetta, come on over and join us in the regular monthly chat thread "Dieting with Diabetes" where we all usually hang out and talk about everything under the sun including our shared disease.

Hope to see you over there on a regular basis and congratulations on the wonderful loss you've had so far this year. You are doing great. Just losing that much weight so far this year, can be causing your BGL and Cholesterol to do some strange things as your body adjusts.

See you soon . . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:15 PM   #4  

I'm going to go and find that dieting/diabetes board right now. The thing with the cholesteral is I never ever had a problem with it until I lost this most current weight. My ankles and feet always swell; so a water pill was prescribed for that last year; also to help with the blood pressure.

My doctor does know my concerns; his answer was to start the actos first; give it a couple of weeks; if my ankles swelled even more then he'd increase the lasix. If the side effects of actos were bearable after a couple of weeks then start the cholesterol drug.

I'm wondering when is it time to see an endocrinologist? I've only been on glucovance; but each time my bg is up the doctors first words are insulin. I feel I should be tried on other meds before we go that route. Am I wrong on that?

Ok off to find that list! I really enjoy what I'm seeing on here. Wish I found it ages ago!

Angel
Angel12 is offline   Reply With Quote