Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 08-10-2007, 05:52 AM   #1  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5˝

Default Shopping as a Birthday Gift

My mother is giving me an online shopping trip of $150 - $200. The reason mainly for this is because I really don’t like the styles here in NL for fuller women (too “old”, too conservative, too “blech” – just not my style). She’s suggested Lane Bryant, which I did see quite a few things (tops especially) that I could go for.

The only problem is, I don’t know what the sizing is like at LB. Normally, here in NL I’m a 48 which is a general equivalent of a size 18. I’ve bought things before online thinking I was an 18 or a 1X or a 2X and each time it’s different (I bought a top for example from Von Mozart which was a 2X, fits perfectly, but then in another brand a 2X was absolutely HUGE on me). I worry that I’m going to buy all this stuff, my mom will send it to me and then it will end up not fitting!

More examples:: I have Torrid tops of 1X and 2X and they fit the same, only a dfifferent brand. I have a pair of Dickies jeans in an 18 and they practically fall off of me. Here in NL I have size 48’s though (18) which are tight!

This sizing thing drives me absolutely nuts! I would love to have some cute, flattering tops to go into the fall with but really afraid it’s going to be a disaster!

How can I shop online with the feeling that I’ll be getting a true size? What are your experiences with Lane Bryant as far as sizing goes?

I'd be happy to also take other suggestions besides Lane Bryant if you have them

TIA
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:03 AM   #2  
Meg

Renee, how fun -- an online shopping trip! I can't help you with LB specifically but -- based on how insane sizing seems to be generally -- I have two suggestions: first, take your measurements and check out the LB size chart. At least you'll know what size you theoretically are in their clothes. Second, order more than one size if you're unsure, with the idea that you'll return the one that doesn't fit. I do that all the time if I'm undecided between sizes. The only wrinkle I see with that is you're in Europe, so postage might make that option unrealistic.

Hopefully there will be some others who can give you real world experience with some of the sites.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:10 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/147/?135?

Height: 5ft4 (163 cm)

Hi velveteen,

I'm dutch too and i was wondering if you considered going for online shopping on some dutch sites, they usually have some decent stuff in the larger sizes and it will be problably a lot easier to return if it doesn't fit. this site --> has most of the dutch online clothing site gathered up http://www.kledingwinkels.nl/?gclid=...FQvllAodgRfGvw
Maybe there is something there for you? At least it could save you from a dreadfull day walking around town, i see you're from Arnhem and i used to live close there (Zevenaar), i know it isn't the best city for shopping! Good luck shopping! (oh and have fun too!) Doeg!
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

Most women's clothing sites have their own measurements/size chart that they go by. I would definitely have your own sizes on hand at the ready as meg suggested!

I love shopping at Torrid, they have the best stuff! And I know that once their size 12 doesnt fit me anymore (currently I am a size 12 at Torrid) I can slip into Hot Topic clothes again!

I would definitely just search around, but make sure you have your own measurements! It makes life a lot easier when shopping online
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:56 AM   #5  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Hi Meg, thanks - I will have my DF measure me tonight

Hi Mars, thanks for the link. I'm not that fond of clothes shopping in NL which is why I'm looking to buy online in the States. Not to mention the selection is better (in my opinion). I did check your link though and what's available for plus sizes I've already tried before time and time again.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:02 AM   #6  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Thanks Cassandra I love Torrid stuff too! My experience though is that even their stuff varies! I have a size "0" top from there that fits like a 2X in different top! Makes my head spin! When I was still a size 50 NL / 20 US I bought a pair of jeans from Torrid - they nearly fell OFF of me!

Definitely going to measure tonight