General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-08-2007, 06:25 PM   #1  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

Default Job Advice

I want to get a job as a waitress or hostess at a restaurant, but I have no experience doing it. Should I just get dolled up and take in a resume looking as nice as possible? I have other job experience, but I don't know if it would count for anything. Any tips?
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:33 PM   #2  

Yes! Go for it!

Just because you do not have any actual experience in waitressing.. does not mean that you don't have the skills to do the job.

You resume will tell of skills that you can use for the job you desire. And.. even if you have experience as a waitress.. the new job is going to re-train you their way, anyway.

My advise?? If its what you want?? Go for it!!

Good Luck
diannawv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/145

Height: 5'7

I would say so. Definately get dressed up if the restuarant is more fancy. No matter what kind of restaurant look nice, but look especially nice if its fancy
Rhighlan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:46 PM   #4  
I have less blubber!

I have about 6 different restaurants I am going to apply at. 2 are really fancy...but the rest are like Chili's type restaurants (one is Chili's LOL). Should I go for my hair down and cute, or up and more professional? All of the restaurants here (college town) seem to go for the cute sexy college girls LOL.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Down and cute. All the jobs I've applied to I tried to look cute.
Rhighlan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:11 PM   #6  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Mary - good luck! You can wear your hair down if you want to, but be sure it is neatly off your face, especially if it is long. It's a wise idea to pull it back when applying for any position in the food industry (trust me -there were a LOT of years waitressing and hostessing between acting jobs! )

Let us know how you get on!

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:38 PM   #7  
I have less blubber!

OOOhh and I am debating whether or not I should keep my nose stud in (tiny little diamond). It's the ONLY facial jewelry I wear (don't wear earrings), so it's not like I have an overwhelming amount of metal on my face. I wore it to my current job at a church and still got hired LOL. I know it's supposedly unprofessional in the eyes of many potential employers..
Old 08-08-2007, 07:56 PM   #8  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

I'm still going to stick my nose in again and say don't worry about the nose stud - it sounds very tasteful. Focus on the hair!

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:16 AM   #9  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I'm not sure about the nose ring MARY...they don't bother me at all...heck if those things did there wouldn't be too many kids hanging around my house ...but I do know (although it is becoming less and less) some places have policies against facial jewelry. I would suggest if you don't always wear it...and wouldn't IF the job policies were against it...(my son couldn't wear his ear rings at the sporting goods store he worked at through high school and college) that you don't wear it to the interview. If it's ok then you can wear it after getting hired. Just my opinion....but what I really want to say is...

JUST BE YOURSELF MARY ~ YOU ARE AWESOME! THEY WOULD BE FOOLS TO NOT HIRE YOU!!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/189/156

Height: 5'10"

Good Luck!! I think you'll do fine!!

My 2 Cents: a first impression is everything and being polished and confident is key!

I get that you have a wonderful sense of humor, so I'm sure you'll shine!
aymster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:15 PM   #11  
I have less blubber!

I am planning on going out tomorrow and looking..But I talked to my friend who is the hostess at Chili's..she said they only hire waitresses with 6 months experience....and that alot of restaurants are like that in town. HOW DO I GET A FREAKIN CHANCE if all the jobs require previous waitressing experience? Will they atleast consider me for a bus boy, and then give me the chance to advance? Anywhooooo. Just thought I would share.