Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 03:52 PM   #1  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Default One Year Today!

I don't post on this forum as often as I used to, but I did want to stop in and post a thread for some of the newbies on here.

One year ago today I left my doctors office crying and determined to do something for myself. I went home and joined WW and started following the program that very day. As of today, I'm down 90 pounds, with only 11 more to go to reach my WW goal!

There are so many of us in the same boat, with so much to lose that you feel overwhelmed and wonder if it's even possible to get down to a healthy weight. To that I loudly shout YES IT IS!!!! When I started out I knew I wanted to lose 100 pounds, but realistically was hoping to be able to drop 20 pounds. I've had a couple challenges and struggles in the last year, and heaven knows this last 20 pounds is coming off soooo slowly, but each and every one of you can do it!!

Hang in there!!!!
Old 08-08-2007, 04:00 PM   #2  
Finally Taking Care of ME

S/C/G: 283/ticker/183

Height: 5'9"

Thank you for posting that. It's the "pick me up" I needed today. Congrats on your success, you've done wonderfully.

Angie
Old 08-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #3  
Rachie Baby!

S/C/G: 311/303.5/165

Height: 5'7

Congrats on your success!
Old 08-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #4  
padawan

Height: 6'

Thanks for the encouragement and congrats on your stamina. When I look at my own sig line, it's so easy to feel like I'm wasting my time. It's motivating to hear from someone like you having such incredible success!
Old 08-08-2007, 05:50 PM   #5  

Hello Kelly

This is the VERY post I was hoping to find. I joined WW yesterday and I have been wondering if WW really works. I currently weigh 244 and I have been given 28 food points to eat. Isn't that a lot of food? How could I really lose weight eating that much?

I guess I am looking for encouragement and assurance that WW is going to work. The program seems to be so flexible and fun. I am used to being told when beginning a weight loss program that I've signed up for a tuff time.

I'd love to hear your story.

Dianna Stamper
WV
Old 08-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #6  
Kelly M

First off, thank you all for your words of congratulations! I've learned slowly over the past year to accept the praise, congrats, and compliments that come with substantial weight loss.....in fact I'm still working on it! People like all of you (who all happen to be alot like me) are the reason for the post. My first day on WW was also my first day on 3FC. Be sure to come here often, whether it's the WW threads or the 100lb. threads (that I frequent the most) because it has been a major part of my success. When no one else in your life understands exactly what you're going through....from cravings to overwhelming joy at losing 1/2 pound....the people here do know how important it is to you. These are the people who understand your joy, frustration, and every emotion in between!

Diana, you CAN do this!!!! Like I said originally, I knew I wanted/needed to lose 100 pounds, but in the back of my mind I was hoping and praying that I could drop 20 pounds. You are so close, only 2 pounds away, from where I was on August 8th last year, and you can be where I am today. It might take you six months, it might take you two years (everyone loses at a different rate), but if you follow the WW plan you WILL LOSE THE WEIGHT!!! 28 points...yep, that's where I started and I agree, it felt like so much food! After about 3 weeks I found myself eating only about 21 or 22 points because I wasn't hungry, but my leader insisted I eat at least the 28 points per day so I began drinking an extra glass of milk or something along those lines to use up the points if I still had some left at the end of the day. You'll get used to it! When I hit 225 I did as instructed by WW and lowered my points to 26. I never did eat my extra 35 flex points because I was already working to get all the daily points in. Several people on here strongly urge you to use those flex points as they will help determine how much you'll be able to have once your on maintenance. Based on that fact, I've not lowered my points as I reached new weight milestones. At 156 pounds I'm still eating 26 points per day. By doing this, I've been able to gradually work those 35 points into my routine.....by doing 26 per day in reality I'm having the 22 points that I should have for my weight plus 4 flex points every day. It's worked out fine for me!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to minimize the effort that everyone puts into their weight loss, but don't look at this as gearing up for a tuff time! For me, this has been easy. I was determined to give it my best shot, and I don't feel like it has been a struggle. Yes, there are days when I don't feel like working out, but once I get up and get moving, I'm always glad I did! There's a tv show I don't want to miss? No problem! Instead of walking out doors, I'll walk on my treadmill or use the elliptical machine, both of which are facing a television in our basement. No excuses!

Are you going to meetings? I started with WW online and did that for about 2-3 weeks before I went to my first meeting. I went to that meeting because I was sure there was info that I was missing, so I was just going to attend one meeting, get the info, and be good to go. Wrong! It took just that one meeting for me to be hooked! I've missed only 5 of my Saturday meetings in the last year, each of those because I was out of town. Some of those weeks I went to a different meeting midweek because I didn't want to miss! On weeks when I needed an extra shot of motivation, I went to a second meeting. Lots of people are successful on WW without the meetings, but I feel my success has been greater because I've had a great leader all the way through. In fact, she even sent me a postcard this week congratulating me on 90 pounds lost. It's now hanging on my fridge, and I'll be sure to tell her on Saturday how touched I was by her thoughtfullness!

Diana, I'm not sure if this info helps you or not, or answers some questions for you or not, but I hope so! If you need help or have questions, please don't hesitate to post or to PM me! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!
Old 08-08-2007, 10:32 PM   #7  
Mrs. S.

Default Wow!

Congrats, Kelly, on 90 pounds lost! What an inspiration you are! I have kept off 30 pounds for nearly two years now, and I have found that associating with like-minded people is so important. A co-worker of mine just moved away, and I will really miss her because we're both life-time members and were a daily source of support for each other. I will rely on this board for support in between meetings now!

Susan
Old 08-10-2007, 05:41 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 199.5/186/135

I just had to pop in here Kelly and say Congrats! I came back to 3fatchicks on August 26, 2006. You were here when I started and you are one of the people who give me incentive to keep at this. I haven't had the great success you have but I know why that is. I have lost 25 lbs this past year and I get compliments all the time on that 25 lbs. My siggie and profile show a smaller loss because it's my official WW weigh in weight. I checked with my doctor's office and my highest weight last year was 205. It's okay. I'm back to picking up the reins this week and to work this program the way it should be worked. If I hadn't stopped by here and started posting, who knows where my weight would be now!
Old 08-10-2007, 03:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 240/ST/140

Way to go Kelly, that is so awesome! I like you am a firm believer in WW. It really works. I am at 26 points right now and it is hard for me to get them in some days. Exercising and water are key too and it all falls into place after awhile. Congrats on your success. You go GIRL!!
Dianna, Stick with WW and follow the pla, it does work. Don't forget the dreaded water It will make a difference. keep an eye on all the little nibbles and bites they add up fast! You can do it. We will be seeing your success post this time next year
Tiffanie
Old 08-10-2007, 03:50 PM   #10  

Thank you, Kelly and Tiffanie

I'd like to Thank you for your support. I really need it right now. My life is happy. I have 3 beautiful children and a Wonderful Hubby. I am 41 and I need to finally get myself put together. I have no "real" reason why I am over weight. I sat down and had a long talk with myself and could only come up with that I am lazy in preparing my menu and not cooking healthy meals. I have not been a very good role model for my children, but they are still young, so we still have time to teach them the correct way.

My first day on WW was Tuesday and I've done well,... I think. I was able to get all my water in yesterday and I'm on my way to getting it all in today. Boy do I have to pee alot. LOL Will my body adjust to that?

I went over my daily points allowance on Tuesday and again on Wednesday, but I still have 15 Flex Points left. Dinner was too good. LOL I figured out how to fix that.. I started to add up the points for each item for my meal, then sit down at the table with my journal to fill it in. It feels so good to have a full daily journal. I see success and am beginning to feel control over what I am eating.

The scales at home shows that I have gained a pound. Maybe my body is trying to get used to what I'm doing? I know I'm trying too.. LOL

I am anxious to see what the scales tell me on Tuesday morning. It sure would be nice to at least lose 1/2 a pound.

I'm trying not to look at all that I have to lose and trying not to concentrate on the fact my weight loss will take at least a year.... but its hard not to.

I bought a 12 week program, so I can try to break my progress down into 3 month goals.

I am feeling better while eating healthier foods and am looking forward to begin exercising. Where shall I start? Any suggestions?
Old 08-11-2007, 09:56 AM   #11  
Amy

S/C/G: 233/188/155

Height: 5'6"

Hello Kelly! It's been a long time. I am from the let's track thread that you posted on way back in the day. The thread has been on and off as the weight of most of us over there. I just wanted to say congratulations! What a great accomplishment! I have been maintaining about 16 pounds away from goal since February. I kept going to the meetings and paying each week. I wasn't journaling or putting my heart into it. A budget review two weeks ago made me re-evaluate my meetings. I decided to quit going and have not been to a meeting in about a month. However, this scared me! I know I need those meetings. So, I have been back at it and journaling and doing great. I am back to losing and plan to keep going until I hit goal and a bit below. I have 14 to go.

I plan on some vigorous exercise over the next several months, as I am going to try a triathlon sprint in May.

Best of luck to you. Hope to see you on some maintainer threads in the short future.

--Amy
Old 08-12-2007, 11:58 PM   #12  
Kelly M

Susan, thanks! It must be difficult for you with your support system moving away, but hang in there with 3FC and your meetings and you'll do just fine!

Laura, so good to hear from you! 25 pounds is nothing to sneeze at as we all know! Good for you for picking those reins back up, you can do this, each of us can!

Tiffanie, thank you for the encouragement! You, too, are making awesome progress, keep it up!

Diana, you can do this! That first week is the hardest, then things will start to fall into place. Are you measuring your food? I still measure everything (except free veggies) for a single portion, and figure if I'm still hungry I can always measure an additional 1/2 portion, etc. It really makes you stop and think before you put a little bit more on your plate, even if it is delicious! A good example of this for me would be spaghetti....one of my greatest weaknesses. I measure 1 cup of cooked noodles and 1/2 cup of sauce for my meal. The other things that I've changed about this meal are 1) I use the larger pasta bowl for my salad, and the smaller salad bowl for my pasta. Opposite of the rest of my family, but it works for me, and 2) in addition to that I ALWAYS fix green beans with this meal now, and have those right along side. I didn't used to think that they went with the pasta meal, but they're free and filling, and make the pasta in my bowl last longer! As for the exercising, I started with walking. In fact, I think I started with walking about 3/4 of a mile at a time, and was all sweaty and gross and tired when I was finished. Each week I added a little bit to it, like going around one more block or culdesac in my subdivision. Now on average I walk about 4 miles at a time. It's a great way to exercise and also fabulous as a stress reliever...give it a try!

Amy, hello! Wow, way to go on the maintenance....I think that's the part that scares me the most! I've often thought about the cost involved in the meetings as well, but decided that I was worth the investment as I know it's something I need to keep going. I missed two meetings in a row between July/August, and was freaking out the whole time. 3 weeks away from the scale was too long for my comfort level! I am so looking forward to not paying for meetings anymore, though, and that's where my current motivation lies. I want to be lifetime so I can attend those weekly meetings for FREE!!! Wow, a triathalon! I am so impressed, I really don't think I have the stamina to do that...good luck to you! Oh, and I cannot wait to spend time with you on the maintainer's threads!
Old 08-13-2007, 10:45 AM   #13  

Thank you, Kelly

You asked earlier if I am going to meetings. Yes, I am.. my first WI is tomorrow morning. I am so excited! And, Yes, I am measuring my servings out and I am so surprised with how much 1 Cup actually is. LOL That's a great tip for spaghetti. Spaghetti and pizza are my weaknesses, too.

I called the YMCA just now and learned that a single membership would fit into my budget. I am going to go in tomorrow and sign up! Yipee! My husband always takes our kids in to school every morning. So, this year, what I plan on doing is me taking them to school, pop on over to the Y for maybe an hour and my day will be set! I know I will feel better.. its just hard to get started. So, tomorrow, I will.

I am beginning to learn how it feels for my tummy to be comfortably full. Not too full and not too hungry. Comfortably full feels good! I know that sounds funny, but by sharing this with y'all... I know you will know what I am talking about. LOL Ok, here's my question.

Its easy to tell my kids No. Its easy to um.. tell my husband No. LOL *but* I would like to learn how to tell myself "no" to that extra something that I know I shouldn't. Last night, I had already eaten dinner, and the family chose to eat chicken pot pies. I was not hungry. I kept busy and stayed in another room. I later went to the kitchen to clean up for the night and there it was. One last pot pie. Not enough for the family to have for the next day. and, I swear it talked to me. I thought that if I would check the points it would help. It was an incredible 9 points! Did that stop me? No. I heated it up and ate it anyway. Why? it was good, but why? I need to learn how to tell myself no.

Ok.. yes, it did us some flex points. I have flex points left and this is my last day for the week. So, I am still ok. But... honestly, I should be able to tell my self no. Is this something I'll learn?

I'll check in tomorrow and let y'all know how my WI went!
Old 08-13-2007, 01:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 275/202/140

Height: 5'2"

Congratulations Kelly,
Reading through this post really made me think about the things that I am doing wrong as well as the things I am doing right with WW. It is a good program and it works, but you have to work the program. I've done okay but I know I can and would have done better if I stick to the program better. I will work on those things. Congratulations and thank you for your encouraging and inspirational post.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:41 PM   #15  
Kelly M

Diana, yep, it gets easier! Hang in there, and you'll surprise yourself one of these days by not even really liking something that right now you think you LOVE! You'll find that you have a few extra points and think "well, I can have a small portion of that whatever, and I haven't had it in so long".....you'll even measure it out and put it on your plate. You'll sit down all comfy-cozy to enjoy your indulgence and bam! You'll have about two bites and be thinking "wow, this isn't nearly as good as I remember". After that, you'll be all set. It gets easier and easier to say no!

Sharon, hang in there and read back over your own signature line "Believe in yourself".....go get 'em girl, you can do this!
Closed Thread