General chatter - icky problem:"going" issues :(

View Full Version : icky problem:"going" issues :(

lipidful
08-08-2007, 02:02 PM
I'm having an icky issue and I'm not sure where to post it because it's not about weight loss.
For the past couple of weeks, I've been having issues of not being able to "go" and I'm starting to feel generally unwell all over. :(
I just don't get it. I eat a TON of fiber-whole grain hot cereals, fruits, vegetables, I drink a TON of water, I eat yogurt every day. Then suddenly, my system decided to just halt. I've only found relief by taking a laxative, which sends me into terrible cramps, but at least I go. :(
I don't want to get into that habit, so I haven't taken one for 3 days, and nothing. I don't know how long it's supposed to take to work, but the "softener" I took yesterday at 4pm hasn't done a thing. Is there anything else I can do? Anyone have any ideas? Sorry this is so gross. I'm really suffering here.

StillTryin
08-08-2007, 02:09 PM
I have a similar problem. If I dont take something I will go WEEKS without having a BM. I drink a 16oz cup of Senna Tea every day. If I dont do that, I dont go.

lipidful
08-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Sounds awful. :(
The thing is, I never had this problem before. Could I be consuming too MUCH fiber?
One thing that changed was consumption of Scandinavian crispbread. I think perhaps too many of them. :(
I've seen the senna tea online. It really works? Is it harmful longterm?

srmb60
08-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Softeners take time and extra water. Lots of folks take a softener every evening to keep them regular.
Is the high fiber thing new ... it takes a while to adjust.
Exercise, like walking can help.
A couple of things that might signal a need to consult your doc ... Is this a sudden and unexplained difference in bowel habit? Are you still passing flatus? Do you have a family history of bowel trouble?

FrouFrou
08-08-2007, 02:16 PM
My DD eats activia (yogurt) when she feels irregular and it works for her.

lipidful
08-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Flatus hahaha funny word. :D Is it a good or a bad sign to be doing that?
I think the crispbread is super duper fiber, so maybe it's too much.
I'm going to get even MORE water when I finish typing this.
Activia really works? I never go a day without eating yogurt, and it's usually Stonyfield.

elmuyloco5
08-08-2007, 02:35 PM
X

lipidful
08-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Well, I don't eat a ton of fat, but I do eat peanut butter and/or almond butter every day. Maybe I need more fat???!??!! :?:

alinnell
08-08-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm pretty regular, but if I go overboard with fiber, it actually stops me up for a day or so--even without changing my water intake. I have to be careful not to eat Fiber One more than once a week because of this.

lipidful
08-08-2007, 03:07 PM
This is so interesting, because like so many other people, I NEVER would have thought too much fiber would have such an effect.

JazzyNurse
08-08-2007, 03:30 PM
I give my patient's warm prune juice when they haven't been in a few days, works great. If you can drink it as warm as possible, the better. It's gross but works for most people. I hope this helps.

alinnell
08-08-2007, 04:13 PM
I give my patient's warm prune juice when they haven't been in a few days, works great. If you can drink it as warm as possible, the better. It's gross but works for most people. I hope this helps.

I belong to another board that has a cute little smilie called puke. I immediately thought of that when I read warm prune juice! Why would it have to be warm?

BlueToBlue
08-08-2007, 05:00 PM
Apple juice can also help. Pruce juice would be better, but apple juice would taste better.

There are also some yoga poses (http://www.helpforibs.com/yoga/poses.asp#poses) you can do that are supposed to help with constipation. I'm not sure the effect is immediate, but if you made them part of your regular exercise/stretching routine, over time I think they would help. I've had bowel trouble in the past that has gotten better since I've started exercising and I'm sure some of it is the stretching.

It does sound like some of you might want to consult your doctors, though.

ANOther
08-08-2007, 05:06 PM
I belong to another board that has a cute little smilie called puke. I immediately thought of that when I read warm prune juice! Why would it have to be warm?

Use barf: :barf: they mean the same don't they? :D

alinnell
08-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Use barf: :barf: they mean the same don't they? :D

Not even close!!! It starts out normal, turns kind of greenish blue, and the spews all over. It's really quite funny!

srmb60
08-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Funny thread! Yes, it's normal to pass flatus ... ya sure don't want it staying inside ya!
Yoga poses? Really.

elmuyloco5
08-08-2007, 09:52 PM
X

lizziness
08-08-2007, 11:51 PM
A lot of people I knew that were doing south beach and especially Atkins had this problem & would drink a cup of tea every day.

Sadly- I will never EVER have this problem. :(

normaljones
08-08-2007, 11:58 PM
for years i have only gone once about every four days. i heard it wasn't normal, but it was 'normal' for me. only recently (im talking in the past few weeks) have i started eating almonds and i've been having a movement everyday.

however, if you have always had regular movements and then suddenly stopped.. maybe you should see a doctor??

newFannie07
08-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Try cutting down the fiber. It really isn't a "laxative" like it says. It just adds bulk to the stool. And if the bowels are moving slowly then the bulk just sits there. Keep with the stool softeners too. They do take a couple of days to work. You might consider some Miralax (you can get it at the drug store). It just went over-the-counter from prescription and is very effective (again might take a couple of days). As far as the senna tea goes, senna is a good laxative also. If you don't want to find the tea (not readily available) then you can get senna tablets at the drug store. But remember it is a laxative, so you can get dependent on it after a while. A few days isn't a big deal, but a few weeks would make you dependent.
I also agree to get it checked out, especially if cutting down the fiber doesn't help.

Kerri

MangoKitty
08-09-2007, 04:23 AM
I've found that drinking a cup of white tea in the mornings helps me stay regular.

aphil
08-09-2007, 07:57 AM
If the regular laxatives give you cramps, then I definitely would not recommend the senna tea. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend using a laxative approach like Ex-lax, Correctol, Senna tea, etc. because your body can get dependant on them, to where you have trouble going without them. They are only for occasional use.

Metamucil, and other fiber supplements are only for if you are not getting enough fiber in your diet naturally-so I wouldn't take those, either.

The best thing you can do is change some of your fiber SOURCES. If most of your fiber is from oatmeal, crispbreads, breads, pastas, etc. than you can get stopped up. Try to switch some of the fiber grams out from those sources (although you still want some fiber from whole grains!) in exchange for some fiber grams that come from fruit, which will naturally provide fiber, but also provide "softening" of the stool as an extra benefit.

Avoid bananas and applesauce for the time being, because they are commonly known "binding" foods. Try grapes, cantalaupe, peaches, etc. instead a couple times a day, and see how that goes. A small serving of apple juice would help as well.

I am just really against taking meds or supplements if it is unnecessary.

hidingtazz
08-09-2007, 01:30 PM
I think the only one of those poses I could manage right now is the 'corpse pose'. :yes: