Old 08-08-2007, 12:36 PM   #1  

Default Starvation Mode?

I'm a recovered ED-NOS. I have demonstrated characteristics of every eating disorder in the book, from overeating/binging (Leaving me at 180+ lbs), anorexia (leaving me at 75- lbs), and bulimic tendancies (though never diagnosed with bulimia).
I have recovered. I do not even read calories at all, to avoid any sort of trigger. I purchased a scale recently, for the first time in 2 years. I am comfortable using it once or twice a week to keep myself in check.
Since my recovery, in the beginning my weight would shift dramatically. During hard work weeks, I'd hit low points and look too thin. During vacation times, my weight would go up what I would figure to be about 10 pounds. Eventually, it stopped moving. If I work out normally and eat healthy, I stay the same shape as I do if I eat everything I see.
According to my scale, I am 136.5 on a 5'4 frame. Ideally, I would like to be 120-125 lbs. I have a little pouch at my lower belly, and my arms could use some toning. I'm not wanting to drop drastically - I just want to feel healthier. Sometimes I actually feel I had more energy and could workout longer while eating less healthy (in the beginning, not at my overly high or low weights) than I can now, and that scares me. I want to be able to say, "I am a good, solid, healthy weight, and I can keep up with everyone."
However, diet and exercise are not seeing any change with me. I have yet to join a gym, but that is my next step. I do, however, ride my bike and walk/jog almost every day for 30 minutes to a couple hours, depending on the intensity (I can walk 2 hours, but I will only jog for 30 minutes).
My typical day of eating (while trying to eat healthy) would be something like this (I try to eat mostly organic if I can):

Breakfast: A cup and a half roughly of fruit - mostly pineapple, berries, or melon. Occasionally a grapefruit, instead. Or sometimes, just a turkey sandwich on a 100% whole grain pita w/ as many veggies as I can pile on, but no cheese or spread). Hot green or white tea unsweetened, or a lightly sweetened Honest Tea (Sublime Mate is my favorite).

Lunch: Either a turkey sandwich just like the one above, a can of Amy's soup (Minestrone or Blackbean), a salad with loads of veggies drizzled w/ regular vinegarette style dressing or salsa, a frozen Amy's entree, or 1 cup of brown rice w/ a cup of veggies and a small portion (2-4oz) or a protein.

Dinner: Same as lunch, but occasionally something more special, like a pasta dish or tacos. I try to balance those w/ a salad or veggies though.

I also eat an organic Julie's dark chocolate/balckberry ice cream bar once a day, or something similar. And occasionally (once or twice a week), I'll just eat a couple good old fashioned gummy candies or a few pita chips as a snack.

Am I doing anything wrong? I'm debating hiring a nutritionalist to just help me work out why my weight isn't more healthy for my frame, years later...
ValentineNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:38 PM   #2  

Also, I drink about 2-3 liters of water a day; probably a liter or so of unsweetened green or white tea; and either one POM tea or Honest Tea sweetened drink (or occasionally a bottled organic fruit juice or smoothie with breakfast)
Old 08-08-2007, 01:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

For breakfast instead of just fruit I would add cereal or an egg or 2.I give you a lot of credit for trying to improve your health.I think your goal weight is reasonable for your height.

don't think your goal weight is unreasonable at all.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

oops, I have to type with one hand as I have a broken shoulder, one hand typing brings some suprising results.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

If you are doing mostly walking, biking, etc. as exercise, but you are unhappy with your arms and belly pooch, then it sounds like what you actually need is some strength training. The walking and biking is giving your lower body lots of exercise, but the areas that aren't getting enough aren't looking so great, correct?

It isn't really about your diet at this point, if you are eating well, maintaining your weight in the 130's etc. Losing a couple more pounds won't really get rid of a poochy belly or jiggly arms-it sounds like you need some muscle tone in those areas, and the exercise that you are doing isn't providing it.

I am all for you to continue the biking/walking-but I would look into some exercise that will provide more for your abs and upper body, such as strength training. It might be just what you need-and something to concentrate on besides scales and calories, given your history.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:20 PM   #6  

Hmmm...strength training sounds like a good plan to me. I'm always afraid to try that, because I'm so weak, lol. I don't want to be the girl just lifting the bar or something. But, once I join my gym, I think that actually may be perfect.
Also, I bought some Kashi cereal and organic milk today - I figure I'll try eating a bowl of that with a smaller portion of fruit instead. Hopefully that will help.
Thanks for the advice!