Old 08-06-2007, 04:48 PM   #1  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 260/170/140

Height: 5'5

Default First Post Ever! woo.

I just wanted to introduce myself! I'm 22, recent college graduate and my name is Mandy. I have been lurking here for awhile. It has helped so much, and I wanted to join in. Lets see, I have always been obese. Anywhere from 200-250 pounds. I don't know anything else. I have almost always been oblivious actually. Growing up, I gained most of my self worth from being smart, making good grades, having good friends and parents. And my parents, both of normal weight, always hinted that I should do something about my weight for health reasons. But they never shared the real reality of how harsh the world is for somebody who is fat. I guess maybe they just didn't know! It sounds peculiar, but until my third year in college, I just lived in a bubble on this subject. I am lucky to have friends and family who love me, every inch of me and have never made me feel inferior. The more I lose, the more I realize the more extra weight you carry, the smaller and more insignificant you are in so many people's eyes. Its very discouraging.

I am not so sure what woke me up. I recieved a diagnosis of PCOS, and was told that if I lost weight, there was a list of things that I would benefit. I had always "tried" to lose weight. But never gave it a full shot. I never was doing it for and my body---more to appease others. I started last Thanksgiving. And am down a good amount, and can't wait for more. I really want to keep getting more and more fit. I love how much better I feel, how more healthy my body feels.

However, psychologically things are not getting prettier. Recently, I have been having alot of self acceptance, body image problems. I have a hard time thinking of my body at the end of this weight loss and ever being able to accept it as not fat. I think about the loose skin, stretch marks, saggy boobs. Too much thinking--I believe is the problem. I obsess over what I eat sometimes to the point that I catch myself. Or when I have something bad, or binge. I beat myself up pretty badly.

Its vey difficult. And its interesting how much of it is all in our heads. And nobody sees what we, or I struggle so hard with.

Hope everybody had great days.

Last edited by Addicted5915; 08-06-2007 at 08:57 PM.
Addicted5915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/186.5/130

Height: 5'3

Welcome!!! And congratulations on your weight loss!!!
staciec878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:22 PM   #3  
change

S/C/G: 169/ticker/healthy

Height: 5'3" ish?

Welcome, Mandy! Here, here for self-worth through brains Why think of saggy boobs and stretch marks? Think of loving your body no matter what. Now and then! Have you ever heard of Dove's Love Your Body Campaign? Google it, just reading about it helped me tremendously.

Now I have to pick your brain. I'll be in Charleston next weekend for a concert and have a night and a day there. Never been. Anything fabulous I must do?

Again, welcome, and I'm glad to be jumping on this chick-thing with ya!
ollie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Welcome Addict! I also have PCOS and our starting weight and goal weights are only 5 pounds different! That's awesome!
Congrats on your loss so far!
As for the "head fat", I totally get it. I'm a total over-doer. I over think everything and I have major body image issues as well as some irrational fears related to losing weight. It's not uncommon from what I understand, but it's it's rough for sure...
Best of luck, hope to see you around. <3
Vanessa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:48 PM   #5  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

WELCOME! Don't worry about what your body will look like at goal. You have youth on your side, meaning you are likely to have very few of the mentioned problems. Hope to see you around!

Mary
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:56 PM   #6  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Hi and !

As someone who started just a bit less than where you are starting who struggled with PCOS, I can tell you that you are thinking too much about these "consequences" of losing weight! If you poke around these boards, you will hear from maintainers and big losers over and over and over again how they wouldn't trade some stretch marks or loose skin for for how far they've come- me included! You need to focus on being healthy and setting up a plan that you can do long term.

As for the bingeing, many of us struggle with that and this is a wonderful support system to help you cope. You are not alone!

I was diagnosed symptomatic for PCOS and losing weight has made all of my symptoms disappear. At my last appt, my dr said that I was essentially preserving my fertility by maintaining a healthy weight and that really stuck with me, loose skin or not.

Anywa, welcome to 3fc

Last edited by junebug41; 08-06-2007 at 09:58 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:51 PM   #7  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 260/170/140

Height: 5'5

thank all of you for all of your encouragement and for sharing! you guys are great!
Addicted5915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:36 PM   #8  
~~Joanne~~

S/C/G: 178/151/150

Height: 5'3

welcome!! Congrats ont he weight loss so far!
wateraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 238/227/150

Height: 5'6"

Glad to have you aboard.
sgregg is offline   Reply With Quote