Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 01:52 PM   #1  
It's a Working Progress

S/C/G: 188/see ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Smile Just looking for Support

I have struggled with my weight for years, and now I'm finally starting to get back in the swing of working out. I really didn't even know about this online support group until I was googling Hoodia. I've tried bunches, but none seem to work for me, or they had nasty side effects of nausea. If anyone can give me some insight on the Hoodia patches, I'd appreciate it. I'd hate to go spend a bunch of money on yet again another fad diet that didn't work at all. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2007, 03:08 PM   #2  

There is a reason these things don't work for you. They don't work for anyone. If patches, pills, gadgets, etc. were truly that effective, health care professionals would recommend them to their patients, everyone would know about it, it would be all over the news, insurance would happily pay for it, and no one would be fat. There are no weight loss secrets - if a product really worked, it wouldn't stay a secret long and manufacturers wouldn't have to beg you to buy it - its results would sell it.

Fad diets don't work (at least not in the long-term). Creams, patches, pills, oils, sprays, powders, and other gimmicks don't work. The only thing that works is taking in fewer calories than your body needs to maintain its current weight. If you look at the advertisements they ALL say "when combined with diet and exercise..." OF COURSE - that's because diet and exercise is what is causing the weight loss.

Don't waste your money - skip the hoodia.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My understanding of Hoodia is that it might show promise eventually, but all of the products currently being sold are bogus, and do not even contain enough of the plant to even possibly be of help. Besides the side effects of hoodia, especially used regularly are completely unknown. This is a plant that I believe the natives using it, use it only during long hunting trips and I believe times of famine. This is a lot different use than for weight control, so there's a lot of research that still has to be done.

In the meantime, if you're looking for a diet that helps control hunger, you might try South Beach or other diets that eliminate processed and simple carbs. This has helped me alot, but it's still only a tool.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:25 PM   #4  
It's a Working Progress

S/C/G: 188/see ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

I had used some patches before called Dermaloss...they worked ok, of course I was also taking Stackers and exercising too, so don't know which was actually working (lol). Above all, I've cut back on my soda intake almost entirely and I think that has helped a lot. I've switched to whole wheat bread and added more fruits and veggies to my diet.

Thanks for the input!
Closed Thread