Exercise! - Coool Runners - August

View Full Version : Coool Runners - August

HeatherAngel
08-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Wow! What a milestone for me to start an exercise thread!

Goal this month is to do four 5K runs a week - starting today :)

Pushed myself a little farther on Tuesday to do 3.25 miles so that I had done a full 5K. I have decided not to worry about speed, but to build up my endurance with 5K runs. A friend who does triathlons (crazy woman! :lol:) told me that 5.2mph is a very good speed for someone who has been running only a couple of months - and it was good to hear! ;)

Heather :D

LisaMarie71
08-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Heather, you're doing awesome!! And I want to thank you again for all the support you've given me on the coaching thing! :hug:

Speaking of that, our first practice is tonight. It will be just a short, slow jog and sort of a meeting with the kids, so we'll see how it goes. The problem is that I just had a root canal this morning so I'm not feeling that great!

I still don't have a working computer at home -- this is my work laptop and I'm in a cafe. I miss my running friends on 3FC!! I hope to get up and running at least within a week or two, but who knows? I'm not sure when I can get back online!

I had a great 9-mile run yesterday -- it felt good to get back to a fairly long run. I'm supposed to do 14 tomorrow -- eek!

HeatherAngel
08-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Good luck tonight, Lisa - and remember: YOU are the coach (okay, assistant!) - don't forget it! :D Rotten luck about the root canal - yuck!

shananigans
08-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Keep up the great work Heather. Before long you'll be a pro :)

LisaMarie - Good luck at practice! I had a root canal last year, it was no fun. Hope you're feeling better soon.

I wish it weren't so dang hot out! I didn't get more than 5 hours of sleep last night, but I might try to go out for a run after it cools off this evening. Still pretty steamy even after the sun goes down these days though. If not I'll just do my strength workout tonight and get up for an early morning run tomorrow.

onthetee
08-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Death in DH's family, so I did not run this week. Going at 3 and plan to do as much as I can over 12 minutes, then 2 walking, then run as much as I can, then take two and hopefully get a full 30 in of running. Maybe a bit ambitious since I have not been able to get back in the groove after vaca.

Lovestorun
08-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Hello Everyone! Mind if I join this thread?

Heatherangel- Iam with you - My goal for the month of
August is going to also be min. of 4-5ks a week. :carrot::carrot:
also trying to build up some more endurance :D

Monday and Tuesday (July) I did 5ks both days early in the AM
as it is way hot here in Florida. :dizzy: Now yesterday Aug. 01 I
did not make it out as it was raining and lots of lightening. (not
a fan :mad:) Today however, I had somewhat of a stroke of luck
I woke up at 5am for my run and it was raining yet again :mad:
waited a while and it stopped took off on my 5k (completed :carrot:)
walked in the door and the flood gates opened again and are still
open as we speak.:?:

Well good luck to everyone this month and I hope to post often. :hug:

ennay
08-02-2007, 01:14 PM
onthetee - so sorry :hug:

7 hot miles this morning - was nice to have a decent run though. I hadnt realized how sleep deprived I was while my mom was visiting.

So....My mom had said she wanted to come up for ds birthday (10/3) and stay through the marathon (10/7) - this past week reminded me in glaring terms that I dont sleep well with other people here. So I am going to either have to put her in a hotel or to come earlier or later. This is not going to be a pleasant conversation.

Lovestorun
08-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Onthetee- So sorry for the loss in your family :hug:
take care :hug:

royalsfan1
08-02-2007, 02:05 PM
Ran 2 miles this morning. Had to cut it short because I needed to get the kids ready for school. I can't believe that they went back today!!! Anyway, I'm going to need to get up even earlier if I'm going to run before they leave. And that's what I want to do because it gets too darn hot if I wait much later.

Question - Does TOM affect your running? Today was an issue for me and it seemed like my run was MUCH harder than usual. I don't know if it was because of it or just a coincidence.

HeatherAngel
08-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Tricia - I'll let you know! I'm having a small amount of trouble (:lol:) dragging myself to run - ToM started this morning - makes me sleepy. :(

Stacey - :welcome: Glad you're with us!

Shenanigans - I hear ya - the heat is a real problem!

Ennay - it seems no matter how old we get, mothers are mothers... and hard work! Good luck with THAT conversation!!

onthetee - sorry for your loss :hug: Hope things pick up for you soon - and keep running! :hug:

onthetee
08-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the condolences, everyone.

I said it was a head thing, not a body thing. One good People mag to keep me going on the treadmill, and ta-da. I did 20.

I was sooooo tempted to continue, but sense I have not been a tight schedule, I hated to push it. I went to a really easy yoga class last night, but I see no reason to risk injury. I think I will do the 20 again on Saturday, then pick up the next week of C25K on Monday.

It is like a cloud has been lifted.......

HeatherAngel
08-02-2007, 08:28 PM
:cheer: Yay onthetee!!!! :cheer:
:cheer2:

WindyCityChick
08-02-2007, 11:37 PM
Thanks everyone for your marathon advice (on last month's thread). Wndranne, I am definitely doing this for me, not because my friend suggested it - he did put the idea to leave Chicago in my head, but that's because he's heard me talk about having to wait untill next year to do Chicago because registration is already full this year. Gulp - I think I going to do it!

Ennay, I'm very excited to hear we'll be in the same race! I'm wondering if you've run Portland before? One thing I'm a little nervous about is coming from the flatlands of Chicago to a terrain with actual hills. I looked at the course map and it looks like there's only one major hill. But, wondering if you can confirm that from your first hand experience.

onthetee
08-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Racheel-there is a full marathon and a couple minis a year down here in Indy. Not a bad drive down bleak I-65 and not so crazy competitive either!

WindyCityChick
08-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Onthetee - I actually looked into the Indy marathon (and believe me, I know that I-65 drive so well - I grew up in Lafayette, and went to college in Bloomington). But that weekend already had something else scheduled that I couldn't move, so I had to find a different alternative. Portland's going to work out fine, because I have some good friends there who I don't get to see much of, so this will be a nice excuse to spend some time with them as well. Perhaps I'll do Indy next year!

ennay
08-03-2007, 01:59 AM
Thanks everyone for your marathon advice (on last month's thread). Wndranne, I am definitely doing this for me, not because my friend suggested it - he did put the idea to leave Chicago in my head, but that's because he's heard me talk about having to wait untill next year to do Chicago because registration is already full this year. Gulp - I think I going to do it!

Ennay, I'm very excited to hear we'll be in the same race! I'm wondering if you've run Portland before? One thing I'm a little nervous about is coming from the flatlands of Chicago to a terrain with actual hills. I looked at the course map and it looks like there's only one major hill. But, wondering if you can confirm that from your first hand experience.

I've not run it before but the only REAL hill is the st johns bridge from what I hear. Now I have done races downtown and there are a couple small hills in the middle that coming from chicago might feel a bit like hills. Not steep but long. A little hill work between now and then might be prudent. OR if you cant do hill work, do a little speed work, it helps.

Quite frankly I find gently rolling easier than totally flat, it gives different muscles work during the race instead of always the same ones.

So you are going to do it? Yippee!!! I just registered yesterday actually, decided to get off my can and commit!

Lovestorun
08-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Good Day everyone! TGIF!!!!!:carrot::carrot:

Somehow I managed to get my 5k in this morning! :carrot:
I was having a bit of trouble with my Ipod and I am one of those
people that have to have it!!!! No question! But, I got if figured
out and ended up having a great run!
So, for the week I did get in my goal of 4-5k's Yeah!:carrot:
Going to north Georiga on Sunday for a whole week to visit
family and I am going to take my gear so I hope to still get
in my running. Wish me luck! :o Not at all used to running
in the mountians cause here in Central Florida it is flat as
a pancake.:dizzy:

Have a great weekend everyone-and I will check in when
I return from Vacation!!!!!:carrot::carrot::carrot:

HeatherAngel
08-03-2007, 09:35 AM
Morning all! :wave:

Stacey - I definitely have my Auntie Flo here - I read your post and thought: "flat as a pancake...mmmmm....pancakes..." :joker: Have a great vacation!

Ran 3.25 miles yesterday, and feeling good :) Had lunch with a friend and started asking her about when she thought I should add a fourth run in per week, and she started at me oddly and said: "Heather, just run every OTHER day - that's fifteen runs a month, and 75KM!" :doh: I felt pretty stupid! :o

Ennay and Windy - way to go - you'll have fun, too! :)

Have a wonderful day, all!

shananigans
08-03-2007, 11:37 AM
onthetee Ė so sorry to hear about the family loss. But, congratulations on breaking the big 20! :cheer2:

Rachel Ė A marathon, wow! I donít know that Iíll ever run a marathon, I am in awe. Good luck with training. So cool that you and ennay will be in the same race.

Stacey Ė Congrats on making your weekly goal. I always have a hard time keeping up with my routine when I travel. But running in the mountains sounds lovely and scenic if a bit hard. Enjoy your trip.

Heather Ė Iím still a beginner and prefer to run every other day (I wonít even pretend I literally run every other day, but almost never two days in a row). I donít know at what point itís prudent to start running consecutive days. Maybe some of the seasoned runners here have some advice?

3.25 this morning in about 34 min, felt pretty good. Probably my longest run since my little "hiatus". Hoping to get out to picnic point for a scenic run by the lake this Sunday.

I finally got a stopwatch to time my runs (you'd think I would already have one by now, but you'd be wrong). I also got some capri length running pants, so much better than being too hot in pants or dealing with the shorts riding up. I won't say they're flattering, but it's so much more comfortable. Do any of you girls have advice about VPL in tight running clothes?

onthetee
08-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Onthetee - I actually looked into the Indy marathon (and believe me, I know that I-65 drive so well - I grew up in Lafayette, and went to college in Bloomington). But that weekend already had something else scheduled that I couldn't move, so I had to find a different alternative. Portland's going to work out fine, because I have some good friends there who I don't get to see much of, so this will be a nice excuse to spend some time with them as well. Perhaps I'll do Indy next year!

I also am an IU grad.

I don't ever plan to run a marathon, even with a year to prepare. :)

cakses
08-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Well, I finished out week 5 of C25K today with a 20 minute, 1.5 mile run (no stopping) and was pretty amazed I didn't pass out, throw up, or trip over myself! It was a struggle at about the 10 minute mark but I put a magazine that I had no intention to read over the screen on the treadmill and guessed that after 2 songs I would be close to done, and I was right I only had about 3 minutes left at that point and what's 3 minutes after 17?

So onto my question. I have two pain spots - my lower back is on fire with pain and my right hip. When I run I don't feel either, but any other time I do. Is this just because of my weight, or should I be scheduling a doctor's appointment. The back pain is so bad, and I am not one to complain much about pain, but it's been 2 weeks of this and it hurts! The hip is more of an annoyance, like getting in and out of the car, stairs, or getting up from the chair, couch, etc. If anyone has exercises even that I can do to stretch and strengthen these areas, I am all ears!

Thanks everyone for listening. I swear if I didn't have this awesome site I would have quit running the second it got hard or I had any pain! I love you guys!

HeatherAngel
08-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Hmmm - I am no expert, but that doesn't sound good... the running 20 minutes does! :bravo: but not the pain :(

Are you doing any strength training? Do you stretch? I find when my lower back hurts a bit (though it hasn't from running) I lie on the floor and do the pelvic twist, but this may not help you - depends what hurts and why. I think you might want to ask a doctor? I'd be especially concerned about the hip...

Heather :hug:

cakses
08-03-2007, 10:26 PM
I know! I totally feel like I am geting old prematurely or something. My husband didn't seem too concerned and said it might just be from the shock of going from no exercise (or very little) to all this running and the kinks will work themselves out.

I stretch religiously every day and especially before and after the runs and I do weights twice a week. So I don't think it's lack of stretching. I really wish I had enough money for a sports massage at the gym or a chiro appt to pop my back. I will figure it out though. So far I am still mobile, so I am not going to freak out over it.

HeatherAngel
08-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Well, good luck Cakses, you sound like you are absolutely doing everything right - and of course continue to be sensible - if it starts to hurt too much, get thyself to the doctor! :)

I signed up for a 5K in mid-October - doing it with a friend who is currently on week 6 of C25K... kind of exciting!

Another 3.25 miles today. Going to stick to running every other day.

settie
08-04-2007, 11:00 AM
I started back running a little while ago. I'd been walking for a long time before that. The road that I'm on is a 1.9k/lap and I'm doing 3+ laps (I go a bit further to make an hour). I'm up to mostly running although I still need to walk a bit every so often.

My question; Is there something more/different I should be doing to get faster/have more endurance? Should I continue with this until I feel really good running the full hour. I'm new to this so any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks,

HeatherAngel
08-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Hi Denise! :wave:

I'm a no expert - I've only just finished the C25K programme, and I would strongly suggest doing what you are doing until you feel you can do more... it doesn't always have to be comfortable, but it shouldn't hurt! :) If you aren't already doing so, break your time up into clearly timed running sessions and walking sessions, then add 30 seconds or a minute to your running every few days, and decrease your walking by the same amount.

You'll find you're running farther, for longer, in no time at all!

YP1
08-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Hello, I've been quiet recently with not running, so welcome to any new faces who have joined the thread while I've been giving it the silent treatment!

I'm kind of back on track. I did 17 miles today, which I should be pleased with I suppose, but I was hoping for more. I think because I used to be able to run more than that I sometimes forget that I need to build back up again. It feels like I should be able to do it, just because I could a few months ago. anyway, I got to 17 and decided that I could either stop there and know I ran all the way, or carry on for another couple of miles but probably need to take walk breaks. I figure I've got enough time before my marathon that I can get some good long runs in, so I called it a day.

MariaMaria
08-04-2007, 01:34 PM
If you aren't already doing so, break your time up into clearly timed running sessions and walking sessions, then add 30 seconds or a minute to your running every few days, and decrease your walking by the same amount.]

This is one way to do it but not the only way. Running until you need to walk, then walking until you're ready to run again is just as valid a way to build running fitness.

An hour is really ambitious for a beginning runner. Any reason you've chosen that as how long you should be running on a regular basis?

HeatherAngel
08-04-2007, 01:43 PM
I agree with Maria - either way will work; it was just one suggestion! :)

ennay
08-04-2007, 03:01 PM
crud - today was supposed to be my 20 miler and I am sick sick sick. Thank god its the weekend. With breaks to nurse ds - who I suspect is also a bit sick, I slept until 10:30. dh has just taken both kids to the park.

Next weekend is the last one I can reasonably do a 20 until after hood to coast, so I guess my 10K next weekend is gonna get bumped. Pooh. Unless I feel miraculously better by this evening.

The other option I considered is seeing if my babysitter is willing to come ridiculously early on wednesday or thursday and I could do it midweek. Do teenagers get up that early? They would have to be here by 7 I think so dh could go to work.

settie
08-04-2007, 03:30 PM
An hour is really ambitious for a beginning runner. Any reason you've chosen that as how long you should be running on a regular basis?

I guess I've always done an hour of walking, biking, so it just seemed to be what to do. I don't feel I'm overdoing it. I think my body would 'speak up' if I were.

Thanks to you and Heather for your responses. ;)

onthetee
08-04-2007, 08:04 PM
crud - today was supposed to be my 20 miler and I am sick sick sick. Thank god its the weekend. With breaks to nurse ds - who I suspect is also a bit sick, I slept until 10:30. dh has just taken both kids to the park.

Next weekend is the last one I can reasonably do a 20 until after hood to coast, so I guess my 10K next weekend is gonna get bumped. Pooh. Unless I feel miraculously better by this evening.

The other option I considered is seeing if my babysitter is willing to come ridiculously early on wednesday or thursday and I could do it midweek. Do teenagers get up that early? They would have to be here by 7 I think so dh could go to work.

My mom and her best friend used to walk in the mornings. I would get there at 7:20 to watch her kids, so I know teens used to get up that early. The earliest I have asked my sitter to come is 8.

Sorry you are sick and baby as well.

onthetee
08-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Ran 15 walked 2 ran 5 today. Had some clothing issues, which I have never experience in years and years of walking.

My regular shorts were in the wash, so I grabbed a pair of 14s (I am now an almost-10). By the end of my run, I had a huge welt at my underwear line, inner thigh; almost 2 inches long and 1/8 inch wide. It was like a bikini wax gone wrong. Plus, I had a bunch of other welty marks on all around the area. With the sweat, it stung like &*%$#.

Obviously, I won't wear those shorts again, which solves the problem, but how long will it take something like this to heal? I can't just sit around all day with no panties, letting it heal.

HeatherAngel
08-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Morning all - I ate like a :moo: last night when we went to a neighbour's for dinner, and am up a pound and a half this morning - probably salt :(

I might run today, even though it is not a 'running day' - just boost the old body and have a little run... I figure it will lift my spirits...

And I refuse to change my ticker!! :stress:

Heather

ennay
08-05-2007, 03:36 PM
Ran 15 walked 2 ran 5 today. Had some clothing issues, which I have never experience in years and years of walking.

My regular shorts were in the wash, so I grabbed a pair of 14s (I am now an almost-10). By the end of my run, I had a huge welt at my underwear line, inner thigh; almost 2 inches long and 1/8 inch wide. It was like a bikini wax gone wrong. Plus, I had a bunch of other welty marks on all around the area. With the sweat, it stung like &*%$#.

Obviously, I won't wear those shorts again, which solves the problem, but how long will it take something like this to heal? I can't just sit around all day with no panties, letting it heal.

Ahh the terrors of chafe. Bodyglide or vaseline can help you get through until it heals but keep a close eye on it. If the skin is broken you may want to do a bit of preventative neosporin. Whenever you can keep it clean, dry and aired out. Which means commando at night for sure.

Chafe in the bikini line is particularly susceptible to infections - bacterial, fungal, yeast. If it gets worse instead of better a mix of gynelotrimin (anti fungal) monistat (anti yeast) and neosporin (antibacterial) will clear it up.

royalsfan1
08-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Cakes - sorry about your pain. I also had hip pain that I self-diagnosed as sciatica. I've got a good friend who is an occupational therapist and she gave me a stretch which cured me! :) I'll see if I can explain it at all.

My pain was in my left hip so here is what I do. I get on my knees and hands, face down. I then take my left leg and bring it in front of me so that it is kind of indian style....the ankle in front of my right knee. Then I start to slide my right leg back so my entire body is moving to the ground and it stretches my left hip further into that indian style or butterfly stretch. I can't tell if I've described it at all in a manner in which you could attempt it but if you are feeling what I was feeling this could help!

WindyCityChick
08-05-2007, 11:16 PM
Hello coolrunners - sounds like a tough weekend all around. I had some stomach issues today, but managed to ride it out and get through my 17 miler. It was also quite hot and humid today, so to say this was a challenging run is to put it mildly. But, I made it through.

And, most exciting news of the weekend, I am officially registered for the Portland marathon!

HeatherAngel
08-05-2007, 11:21 PM
Yay, Rachel - great news!! (the registering, NOT the feeling ill!!) :cheer:

I did an hour on the treadmill - ran my 3.25 miles and felt a WHOLE lot better about my :ink: last night!

royalsfan1
08-06-2007, 07:34 AM
Well, today was my first run after having the flu and while it was a short one (only 2 miles) it was quicker than usual. I ran 12.4 min/mil. That's quick for me! :) I'm glad to be back in the game! It was a little tough, though, and my stomach hurt most of the time I was out there. I'm feeling better now, though, and am glad I went ahead and did it.

AnneWonders
08-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Well, I am sick and it is raining, so my backside is firmly planted in the chair. I'm debating on work. I feel like a train wreck.

So my goal this week was to run MWF, swim either T or Th, and then get a long bike at least once on the weekend. I'm cutting myself some slack for the sickness, but I need to get more consistent. Can I ask for an official :kickbutt: on Wednesday? ennay?

I'm also signing up for my anniversary 5K, which is on Sept 16 this year. The first race I ever ran, back in 2003. Race on calendar = instant motivation.

Rachel, congrats on registering for Portland. I know you'll do great!

onthetee, we use LOTS of Bodyglide around here. Collar bones, upper arms, around HRM and bra, liberally in the nether regions, DH puts it on nipples! Anywhere there is even the potential for chafe. We should buy stock.

Hi everybody else, I'll try to be more social and interactive when I get myself together. I think I'm calling in sick. Ugh.

Anne

shananigans
08-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Yikes, sorry to hear so many of you are deling with pain/feeling icky. A quick recovery to all.

Bodyglide is the best, I never get foot blisters anymore.

Got a great run in at picnic point yesterday. I don't like that I can't use mapmyrun.com to track my distance on trail runs, I just go by time and my pedometer to estimate. I think I did around 3.5 miles. It was blessedly overcast and coolish, but the humidity! Felt like I was running through a swamp. I also looked like mother nature chewed me up by the end of it, it was a bit wet so I got kind of muddy and I had nettles and seeds stuck to my clothes from all the brush. Beats the boring old streets though, I love running out in the woods by the lake.

Hope everyone has a good week, plan to run early tomorrow am.

LisaMarie71
08-06-2007, 01:14 PM
I've been planning on buying some Bodyglide -- my husband has some chafed nipple issues himself! I hope he doesn't mind my telling people that! :lol:

Anyway, it's good to be back, even though I'll only be online for an hour or two. Still don't have internet access at home. :(

I had a pretty crappy 8 mile run this morning. I think my body is seriously rebelling or that I've possibly overtrained for my half marathon. Part of it is running too fast with the kids during the two cross country practices we've had so far, and sandwiched between those two runs was a 14-mile run! Way too much in those three days. We have cross country practice tomorrow night but my husband and I are BOTH sitting that one out and just letting the kids run on their own. We're both simply worn out and we're trying to make sure we don't hurt ourselves before the race.

Training for a half is tougher than I thought it would be, and I'm not entirely sure how people do it while they're working full-time. Having the summer off has helped me tremendously because I can just lie around on the couch all day if I need to! That will be over VERY soon, though!

It looks like everyone's doing a great job with their running and dealing with the aches and pains as they come. Good luck to everyone and I hope to be able to check in again soon!

YP1
08-06-2007, 04:14 PM
You're doing great Lisa, and it will be easier the second time ;)

I had a good 7 mile run with running club tonight, I ended up running with the fast lads :rofl: We were nearly home, and a couple of the boys at the front headed off through the woods. I followed them, but no-one behind me did so it was just me and a few really fast people who ended up doing another mile while everyone else took the significantly easier route back! I'm still alive though, which is good...

I'm definitely feeling a lot fresher after my rest over the past couple of weeks, so hopefully my running mojo is back now.

onthetee
08-06-2007, 04:44 PM
You're doing great Lisa, and it will be easier the second time ;)

I had a good 7 mile run with running club tonight, I ended up running with the fast lads :rofl: We were nearly home, and a couple of the boys at the front headed off through the woods. I followed them, but no-one behind me did so it was just me and a few really fast people who ended up doing another mile while everyone else took the significantly easier route back! I'm still alive though, which is good...

I'm definitely feeling a lot fresher after my rest over the past couple of weeks, so hopefully my running mojo is back now.

When I see people take off for the woods, I assume they have to potty. ;)

cakses
08-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Did 2.5 miles today, still on the C25K program so part of that was walking. Finished 2 miles in 27:36. I am really excited to see what my time is for 2 miles without the walking in there as well. Wednesday is the alst interval day of teh program then it's 25+ min runs from there on out. As hard as the 20 mins was last week, it seems almost easier than stopping and having to pick it up again after a few minutes of walking. I am still running at 5mph which is pretty slow but it's all I can do right now and not fall over and die. I am hoping once I finish the program that I can add in a 4th day of running and speed up gradually to boost my metabolism.

ennay
08-07-2007, 01:16 PM
arrrrgh havent run since thursday. Still so sick that I am making dh stay home from work to take care of the kids. At this rate I dont think I will get my 20 in before HTC:(

HeatherAngel
08-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Awww, ennay, sorry to hear you are still so unwell :( :hug: Get well soon!! (that's an order!)

Ran 3.25 miles this morning.

WindyCityChick
08-07-2007, 11:57 PM
Ennay, sorry to hear you are still not feeling well - rest up!

I ran 6 very sweaty miles today - I am missing those cold January runs, the heat and humidity totally saps my energy.

Looking forward to this weekend...I have a reunion weekend with my college buddies in NYC, and we're planning a short run in Central Park Saturday morning - well short for me these days (probably 3-4 miles). It's so strange to me that I'm the endurance runner of the group now - in college, I was the least athletic gal in the group!

HeatherAngel
08-08-2007, 09:41 AM
I didn't stretch properly after yesterday's run - and BOY can I feel it today! :no: Baaaaad girl, Heather. Chalk this up to a learning experience! No running for me today - and not tomorrow either if these legs still hurt - what a stupid thing to do. :doh:

I'll do my strength training today instead :)

LisaMarie71
08-08-2007, 10:46 AM
I've made that mistake many times, Heather, and I always paid for it!! You'll be right back on track tomorrow!

Today I ran 13 miles and it was pretty tough, mostly because of the heat. I started at 6:07 am and it was already 80 degrees, with something like 92% humidity. The run took 2 hours and 53 minutes, so by the end the sun was blazing pretty high in the sky and it was considerably hotter. It's about 10:40 right now and it's already 93 degrees or so. Supposed to get over 100 today. UGH! I hate the heat when I'm just doing NOTHING in it, but running in it is miserable. Tomorrow morning I have to run with the cross country team at 7:30am, so that should be kind of tough, especially since I'll still be recovering from today's long run. I hope I can make it!! We're only doing 3 miles, but I run much faster with them so it's difficult.

Things are going well, though -- in spite of the icky heat!!

shananigans
08-08-2007, 11:26 AM
ennay - hope you're feeling better, what a rotten time to get sick!

I hear y’all on the heat and humidity front. T-storms kept me in bed yesterday morning, so I went out after work and it did not feel good! Took me forever to do three miles, I had to stop three times to water my dog and walk to cool down a little. I always worry I’m gonna give him heat stroke when it’s so hot/humid, so I slow down to whatever pace he seems to want to go and take lots of h2o breaks. Still, glad I got it done!

I had about 15 minutes to get ready for an appointment at David’s Bridal after we got home and was still sweating after a quick cold shower. I had to drive over there with the AC blasting.

Hope tomorrow is better for am running. Strength training tonight.

royalsfan1
08-08-2007, 11:35 AM
It's so HHOOOOTTTTTT! Oh my gosh! I ran 2 miles and thought I was going to stroke out. I wanted to do 3.2 but there was no way I could keep going. It's 100 degrees and the heat index is 105-110 (depending on who you listen to). The sun is brutal and there was no shade where I was running. Is it normal for this to slow you down a lot? Because it did slow me down!

Lisa - I can't even fathom 13 miles in this hellishness they call summer. Kudos to you, girl!

Sheila53
08-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Ennay, so sorry to hear you're sick. Hope that you start feeling better soon.

Yeesh--13 miles in that kind of heat and humidity! You must have felt like a wrung-out dish rag after that. Hope your workout with the kids goes well, Lisa.

So I'm curious about long distance running--when you run for a couple of hours, do you take potty breaks? Frankly, even after running 3.5 miles, I need a bathroom. Maybe that's just a mid-50s age thing. :)

YP1
08-08-2007, 04:34 PM
It's not hot here. I don't think we're getting a proper summer this year! Well done to everyone who is running in heat and humidity.

I sometimes need a loo break, but sometimes the fact that I'm sweating more means that I don't need to. It also depends how much I've been drinking on the way round.

I had a really good run today - just over 10k, and faaaaast. My legs feel a lot fresher since I had my little mini break, and I really felt strong today for the first time in ages. At one point I was running under 8 minute miles which is fast for a training run.

I'm still having a relatively low mileage week this week, I'll do my long run at the weekend but not as many of the "filler" midweek runs. I like this fresh feeling!

I've also got a video of my last marathon to watch tomorrow, someone else who ran it ordered one and has lent me a copy so I can see myself crossing the line.

shananigans
08-09-2007, 09:51 AM
3.25 mi in about 33 min this morning, in the rain. Figured it was better to get wet this morning than to melt trying to run in the muggy heat this evening. The humidity is still bad, but it's bearable before the sun's up.

HeatherAngel
08-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Morning!

Helen, my MIL lives in York, and she's stopped even ASKING about the Canadian weather this year - she's so fed up with your rotten summer... it makes me giggle every time she calls - ! :devil:

Going to hit the treadmill today and aim for some hill work.

LeedaRenee
08-09-2007, 10:04 AM
I need to move to Canada! I live in Mississippi and it's 80 degrees at 7 am and gets up to 102, not counting the humidity. I'm sweating buckets just doing week 3 of C25k. I can't imagine if I were full our running.

onthetee
08-09-2007, 10:13 AM
I hear ya on the humidity. I swear, it is like trying to breathe through pudding.

I have toyed with the idea of an early morning run, but I think it is just easier for me to go to the gym and get on the treadmill.

LisaMarie71
08-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Yes, the heat is getting crazy. It ended up getting to 104 yesterday! I really dread when school starts and I'll have to run with my cross country kids at 4:00pm every day. That seems to be the hottest time of day here.

Sheila -- as for potty breaks on long runs, I've only had a problem twice so far. One time I had to go into the woods, which was pretty unpleasant! The other time, I stopped to pee in a little convenience store. I have a small bladder or something, because I've always had to pee more than anyone I know, but for some reason on long runs I just don't feel like I have to go. My husband says your bladder just seems to leave you alone when you're running for a while, and that's been true for me except that one time. It's shocking to me that I can go three hours without peeing! :lol:

I had a GREAT running experience this morning during cross country practice. I was actually able to teach the kids something -- by example!! I still can't get over it. We did an easy 3 mile run, and I knew I'd be way behind them even if I pushed it a little. Well, I was behind but I also got to run with a student for a bit and talk to her, which was nice. By the end of the run, I was ahead of all the girls and some boys and I was the only female who didn't have to walk. My husband and I used this to teach them about pacing yourself. We talked about how when we started the run I was hanging behind everyone but I ended up passing them all because I didn't overdo it on my pace. They're having a hard time not pushing themselves in the beginning and we're trying to get them to work on that. We'll do speed work later, after all. We're trying to get them to the point that they don't have to stop and walk, so even though it was hot and I was tired from yesterday's 13 miles, I made sure I ran the whole thing to show them that you can do it if you pace yourself correctly.

I'm still astonished that the kids could actually learn something from me! :carrot:

cakses
08-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Woo Hoo Lisa! You go girl!!! I love hearing about your endavours!

I am having a hard week getting motivated. My runs have been harder than usual even though it's the same pace I've been doing the whole time. I guess I won't always feel amazing.

I think I am starting to lose weight finally though. I tallied up the amount of inches I have lost overall and it's 9.25" in 6 weeks. Now I know I would lose more if I ate better, so I am trying to work on that. I am a one thing at a time person though. Too many drastic changes and I end up quitting. So I did the quitting smoking thing, now the running thing and once I am done with the 9 week program and running on a regular schedule I think it will be way easier to cut out the bad foods.

HeatherAngel
08-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Cakses - an EXCELLENT plan, and way to go giving up smoking - tough one, that! :)

Lisa - you ROCK! SOOOOO glad you took the coaching job! :hug:

Onthetee - your 'breathing through pudding' made me snort! Disgusting, but that's what it feels like some days in high humidity! YUCK!

Hi :wave: to everyone else!

YP1
08-10-2007, 01:52 AM
Well done Lisa!

I've just done 4.4 miles fartlek (or attempted to). I ran to the park, did some sprint sections in the park, then ran home. I can't believe how fast I am at the moment though, that rest is really paying off. I averaged 8 minute miles over the route, including the slower sections. Phew!

Hopefully I'll be doing a long run tomorrow.

royalsfan1
08-10-2007, 07:04 AM
I did 2.2 miles this morning and I managed them both as 12 minute miles. Getting better...

HeatherAngel
08-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Slow Coach the Snail here... still running at 5.2mph, and absolutely not ready to speed up - :lol:

3.25 miles yesterday again - planning to maintain that time and distance for the rest of August.

YP1
08-11-2007, 07:18 AM
Hmm, I've got mixed feelings about my run this morning. I had to take a lot of walk breaks, it was warmer than I was used to, and the hills just seem to defeat me. It felt really hard. Then I got home, measured my route online and realised that not only was it 19.2 miles instead of the 18 I'd thought, I did it at about 45 seconds over marathon pace which is pretty much the speed I should be doing it, walk breaks or not. So even though I hated it all the way round, I'm a bit more positive about it now thankfully!

I'm off to stay with a friend tonight, we're going out for a meal so at least I can be sure I've earned it ;)

onthetee
08-11-2007, 08:10 PM
I did 25 minutes today. That wraps up week 6!

It is so strange. When I am on it, it is like a pleasant jaunt. When I am pushing it, I seriously check the clock every 10-12 seconds.

Lovestorun
08-12-2007, 08:09 AM
Hello everyone! Got back from my vacation last night! It's always
nice to go away but I also Love to come home.;)

Well, I got absolutly NO running done in the mountians. I had
very very good intentions however, we arrived on Sunday and
on Monday morning I awoke got dressed got my ipod set up,
running shoes on, pepper spray in hand and went out the door.
At the end of the driveway was a huge (and I mean huge) black
dog loose just meandering around. :mad: Why Why do people
let their dogs out to rome the neighboor hood? I have been
chased and jumped on by so many dogs that I am scared to
run anymore. The big problem in Georiga was that I did not
know the neighboor hood and after seeing that dog how many
more were out there? I do carry pepper spray but for some
reason I have a hard time putting to much faith in it. Has
anyone else have this fear and what do you do about it?
I wanted to run however I didnot wish to be mauled by dogs!
I also could not believe the heat up there!!! If you were gonna
run it had to be done early if you wanted to make it back.:dizzy:

The good news was I keep my eating in check and as of this
morning my weight has remained the same. :)

Well, congrats to everyone on their running I cannot believe
the miles you ladies cover!!! Great Job. :carrot:

Monday will be my start again day!! Goal this week at least
4-5k. Have a great Sunday!!!!

YP1
08-13-2007, 03:45 AM
I've just noticed that I've now run over 1000 miles so far this year :carrot:

Club run for me tonight, I'll either do 7 or 10 depending how I feel.

shygrly
08-13-2007, 04:12 AM
Recently I started training for a half-marathon. i'm in the 3rd week of training. I was going for 5 miles today, but right b4 the 4th mile, I twisted my foot. I sat out for a bit, but I'm icing it right now. I hope its not too bad tommarow. Cause right now, its not that bad, but i guess i'll have to wait and see.
Congrats to everybody with their runs.

AnneWonders
08-13-2007, 09:32 AM
I've just noticed that I've now run over 1000 miles so far this year :carrot:

Wow!! Good for you Helen.

I've still got the dregs of this cold. Going to walk today.

Anne

ennay
08-13-2007, 10:41 AM
4.8 ish this morning. 1st run in 10 days:dizzy:

YP1
08-13-2007, 04:05 PM
Well done for getting out there ennay, you'll be back on track in no time.

I did 7.7 in the end this evening, fast again. I'm feeling good about my running again now :)

LisaMarie71
08-13-2007, 10:08 PM
Great job on all the running, you guys!

Stacey -- I have the same fears about dogs. I live in the country but I'm lucky in that most people keep their dogs restrained in some way. My husband usually scopes out a route before I try it and he tells me what the dog situation is. I carry pepper spray in case of a surprise, but I'm not sure what would happen if I were actually chased by a dog.

I was staying with my mom in my hometown the last four or five days, but I got two runs in. Three speedy miles (29 minutes -- it's good for my slow self!) at the park in my hometown on Saturday, and then I went back this morning and did a 6-mile run. Tomorrow I'll have to run cross country practice all by myself (eek!) because my husband has to attend a meeting all day for lead teachers.

My six miles this morning felt REALLY good, even though I ate too much all weekend and expected to feel heavy and slow. I felt like I could go much longer, and I'd intended to run 8, but my niece and nephew were coming over and I wanted to hang out with them before I had to leave, so I cut it short. I hope I feel that good tomorrow morning when I run with the kids.

shananigans
08-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Still way too humid, but the heat seems to be taking a bit of a break, at least from the highs in the 90s, now theyíre in the mid 80s.

Stacey Ė Welcome back! Canít say you didnít try, too bad you got all ready only to have your plans ruined. I also canít stand irresponsible dog owners. Iíve had friendly dogs bolt out of their yards to greet my dog, which is kind of annoying since it disrupts my run and dangerous for the dog (donít people worry about their dogs getting hit by cars?), but I havenít come across any aggressive dogs that werenít contained by a fence or tied down. Just that coyote that one time, but thatís no oneís fault.

Helen Ė Congrats on breaking 1000! What a ďmileĒstone

shygrly Ė Hope the foot is better soon.

Ennay Ė Glad youíre feeling better! It can be hard getting back in the swing of things, but youíll get there before you know it.

Lisa Ė Sounds like the running and coaching are going great. Iím still trying for a sub 30 5k, donít think Iím consistent enough to be gaining speed yet.

Took a couple days off, did 3 miles in about 32 yesterday. Not bad for an evening run, itís so gross outside I come back just soaked, but at least it was overcast so there was no direct sun to deal with.

My left knee is making a clicking noise, hoping itís nothing that wonít take care of itself.

cakses
08-15-2007, 01:46 PM
I had a bad Monday and ended up stopping due to pain. Tuesday I got in my 2 miles well 2.1 miles to be exact in 25 mins. Today is a much needed rest day, then tomorrow and Friday will be runs. trying to speed up a little so I can do 2.5 miles in 25 minutes. We'll see though. Right now I am just thrilled to make it 25 minutes without dying!

WindyCityChick
08-16-2007, 12:21 AM
Hello my running friends! Haven't been around much lately, but I have been running, I promise (better be, now that I've signed up for a marathon:fr:). I was in NYC last weekend for a mini-vacation and went for a run in Central Park with my girlfriends. We didn't go far, maybe 3 miles in total, but it was a lot of fun! The jogging path there is just crazy - way too many people zipping along with not enough space (suppose that's true of Manhatten as a general rule), so I don't know that I could make it my regular running route if I lived there, but it was fun to try it out. And being New York, there was also a fashion shoot going on righ next to the jogging path!

Lisa, I am soooo excited to read your coaching reports. I think it is amazing that you decided to do this, and I am very proud of you (as is your hubby, I'm sure).

royalsfan1
08-16-2007, 07:00 AM
Broke the 12 minute barrier! :)

I ran 2.2. miles in 25 minutes. Better and better each run.

It's got to be said. You all are SO inspiring!!!

jaxjob
08-16-2007, 08:03 AM
Grrrrrrr...

No running for me for a while. :( I tripped over the puppy when taking him for a walk yesterday and wrenched my ankle. It's not to bad (iced and rested it) and I can walk if I keep it in the same position, but no running for now. No aerobics DVDs either. Yuk! :?:

Ah well, nothing much I can do about it. Keep running everyone (who can!).

Snuggles,
Jax

LisaMarie71
08-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Aww Jax -- I'm sorry about your ankle! But it will heal and you'll be back out there! :hug:

Tricia, you're doing so great!! :carrot:

Rachel, I'm proud of you too -- a marathon, wow!! I don't know if I'll ever get to that point. I had a moment during my 13-mile run this morning when I thought...hey, I'm pretty comfortable with these longer runs now, so maybe I'll eventually get to the point where I can train for a marathon. Then, in my 13th mile, I sort of crashed. :lol: It was a REALLY good run for the most part, though -- I ended up with an average pace of 11:47, which is good for me when I'm doing more than 10 miles. I felt pretty strong.

I had to skip cross country practice to get my long run in, but I'll be with the kids again on Saturday. It's fun, even if most of them can leave me in the dust! I'm still working on getting the girls to stop all that walking and to pace themselves.

Fitting my runs in will be pretty tough from now on, as today is my last day off. School is here again -- eek!

cakses
08-16-2007, 06:53 PM
I did 2.15 miles in 25 minutes today. Just a tiny bit better speed wise. Tomorrow is my last 25 minute run and I am going to try to do 2.2-2.4 miles, but we'll see. I am still just happy finishing the runs at this point.

YP1
08-17-2007, 03:42 AM
I had a really good run on Monday, and followed it up on Tuesday morning with a gentler and slower recovery run. Then on Tuesday evening I made the mistake of getting very drunk, which really killed me on my run on Wednesday evening which was an 11 mile off road route which I had no way of getting out of doing, even though I really wanted to. It was a recce for a race in a couple of weeks which isn't marshalled and involves you following quite complicated directions, so you really need to run the route beforehand to know where you're going, and I didn't have the mobile numbers of the people I was doing it with to rearrange. I got to half way and begged them to let me stop, but the second half was actually better than the first, thankfully! No running yesterday, I wasn't hungover any more but was very tired after being out three nights in a row, and I went out and did another 4.4 this morning which did feel a lot better so hopefully the tiredness has worn off a bit. Tomorrow is my rest day, and I'm planning a long run on Sunday.

shananigans
08-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Yikes, sounds like a rough go Helen. I can't do much on a hangover, let alone an 11 mile run!

Did not enjoy my 3.25 yesterday. It wasn't that hot, but I ended up having to take a considerable walk break because my dog just refused to keep pace with me at some point. He didn't look so good and I didn't want him to overheat. Anyway, it was one of those runs where by the end you're thinking, "please god just let it be over I want to die now". And I had a side stitch. Blah! Anyway, got it done.

Supposed to be cool and perhaps a bit rainy tomorrow, going for an early morning trail run by the lake.

HeatherAngel
08-17-2007, 01:28 PM
Awww, crap... tried to up my speed on the treadmill today to 6mph (not exactly Speedy Gonzales!), managed 10 minutes and then walked. Tried to run again after five minutes walking - nope, today is NOT a running day. I bet I feel more 'up to it' tomorrow :)

Hope all are well! :)

Heather

cakses
08-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Oh man Heather we must be cosmically connected. I tried to start out at 5.6 made it about 10 minutes and forced those last 15 out so I didn't have to repeat. Went down to 5.3, choked, went to 5.2, died, went to 5.0 and pushed it. Went back up to 5.6 for the last 2 minutes but man I shouldn't have tried to start out that fast. Big time mistake.

I am entering week 8 of C25K on Monday. Three extra monutes isn't going to effect me much, but when I am going to be conditioned enough to not be puffing and panting after 5 minutes of running? I thought by now I would be doing less heavy breathing.

LisaMarie71
08-18-2007, 09:55 AM
I know I've said it many times before, but seriously...you guys doing C25K really shouldn't worry so much about speed. You'll get faster in time. Heck, you're already going faster than I do half the time, and I've been running a bit longer. I worried a lot about speed at first but I've seen that with time you really do get faster sort of naturally as you build up your mileage, so I'm trying to be patient about it now. It's better to do slower, easier runs at a pace that you can sustain for a while. You can do those intense shorter runs later after you've built up mileage. And keep in mind -- you're doing GREAT! I'm very impressed by the progress you've made. :yay:

I did 3.5 miles with the cross country team this morning through lots of wet grass and dirt and such. There were big storms here the other day, so we were leaping over lots of fallen tree limbs -- it was quite a little adventure! I probably shouldn't have done it, though, because I'm having some pain in my right ankle (the one I broke a few years ago). It's been hurting since my 13 mile run on Thursday, so I need to keep an eye on it.

HeatherAngel
08-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks, Lisa - I REALLY needed to hear that today! :hug: You know, I'm sure I promised myself I'd do 3.25 miles three to four times a week at 5.2mph for ALL of August... so why did I try to push it? Bizarre. :shrug:

Okay - if you guys see me posting that I put the speed up on my treadmill, please give me a good, swift :frypan: or :kickbutt:! Come on, :coach:!

Of course, if I happen to sneak up the incline, that's another story! :rofl:

PS - Cakses - I'm not running today either - I walked the dog this morning, and MAN, my calves are KILLING me!! I'll try again tomorrow :)

onthetee
08-18-2007, 06:03 PM
Cakses--I am with you on the breathing thing. I did 25 today, and I did pretty well, though I admit to coming to a full stop to wait for traffic both directions when crossing a busy road. I was grateful for everyone of those cars, thank you very much. None of that running in place stuff for me!

shananigans
08-18-2007, 09:21 PM
Slow down you guys! :lol: I really don't carefully track my distance or speed a lot of the time. I have a couple 3 to 3.25 mi routes near my home that I run and use my watch, but on trail runs I wouldn't even know how to figure distance accurately. I figure I can pace myself to get through the amount of time I want to run, and I never feel like I'm taking it too easy, so that's good enough for me.

GLORIUS run this morning. It was cool, a light drizzle, and I made it through 45 min. I'm guessing about 4 miles, felt really good. Quite a few friendly joggers/runners and dogs out on the trails, love that. :)

Had this crazy idea that I should be able to do a full hour soon. My runs during the week are usually 30 - 35 min, if I only run longer once a week should I be able to build up to that reasonably soon? I was thinking I could just tack 5 min on to my longer run each week. That would get me there in just 3 weeks.

ennay
08-18-2007, 11:00 PM
that is a good plan shananigans!

been running but not much time to post lately 15 today, 10 yesterday, 7 on wed. A little weaker than pre illness but not too bad.

Rachel - I hope we can meet up when you come to portland

LisaMarie71
08-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Rachel and Ennay, I'm totally going to be jealous if you guys get to meet up in Portland! That's much too far away! We need to plan a race we can all do in the center of the country or something!

I'm not running today because my ankle is still hurting, and it's kind of killing me not to run. I'm seriously craving a run, and I'm having to talk myself out of it. What a change from my former life!

I believe I'll do some yoga instead...

Sheila53
08-19-2007, 02:40 PM
I know I've said it many times before, but seriously...you guys doing C25K really shouldn't worry so much about speed. You'll get faster in time.

So I've been beating myself up this summer because I feel like I haven't been getting faster at all. I looked up my time from a race last year, and actually, I've taken two minutes off my 5K pace. It's still a slow pace, but two minutes faster is pretty good, and I've got to realize that I'm not trying to compete with anybody else but myself. The difficult part is now I'm running at about an 11 mph pace, but I can't sustain it longer than a little over 2 miles and after that I enter this run/walk thing for the next mile. So then I get bummed about that because when I run a 5K race, I want to run it all, not walk part of it.

Ennay, sounds pretty darn good for post-illness! Did it get really steamy up there today? I ran today by the river and it felt like I was in the deep South. That will be fun if you can meet up in Portland. I'd love to watch the race, but will be out of town. Maybe next year.

Lisa, hope your ankle feels better. Do you put any kind of support on it when you run?

Cakses, I've been running for over a year now, and still huff and puff. Probably not what you want to hear, but even huffing and puffing, it does get easier and you will be able to huff and puff your way through a 5K, no problem. :)

LisaMarie71
08-19-2007, 03:08 PM
I don't put any kind of support on my ankle but now I'm thinking I probably should... I'll probably talk to the athletic trainer at school about it.

The difficult part is now I'm running at about an 11 mph pace, but I can't sustain it longer than a little over 2 miles and after that I enter this run/walk thing for the next mile. So then I get bummed about that because when I run a 5K race, I want to run it all, not walk part of it.

Maybe you're just meant to run a 5K at a 12 minute pace? Or 11:30? If I start out at an 11-minute pace, I'm huffing and puffing by the 3rd mile too. I have to start slowly and ease into it. Honestly, now that I'm used to longer runs, I can see that the first 3 miles are the hardest part. The other day, I felt MUCH better in mile 11 than I did in mile 2 on my 13-mile run. Short runs don't allow you to get into a groove - I use them to work on speed, but they're far more difficult than long, easy runs.

Also, I've gotten used to sort of forcing myself to do a VERY slow jog instead of a walk when I need a recovery in the middle of a run.

AnneWonders
08-20-2007, 09:38 AM
I had quite possibly the worst run of my life yesterday, and I've had some bad ones. It was 90F+ and humid, and I was pushing DD in the jogger. Ugh. Run is probably not the right word. I went 15 minutes out, 20 minutes back on one of the local multiuse paths.

The only good thing was that I got out there.

Signed up for a tri in October to help get myself going. Biking is actually going very well, and I got back in the pool for the first time since May (!) so it's looking good. I'm also doing my anniversary 5K next month--first race I ever ran back in 2003. Feel sort of like myself again.

Anne

AnneWonders
08-20-2007, 09:40 AM
PS: You C25Kers who are worried about your speed would have run circles around this old-timer (can I really say that now??) yesterday. Just run! You are doing great!

LisaMarie71
08-20-2007, 03:49 PM
I did 4 miles this morning at about a 10:30 pace, which was fantastic for me. Part of the reason I went that fast was because I had to go to work and I knew I was going to be late!! But I was determined to fit 4 miles in, so I did it anyway and only ended up being about 5 minutes late!

annk
08-20-2007, 08:40 PM
Okay, reading your posts was the boost I needed. I've been putting off my run for a couple hours now and I've just got to do it! I'm only in week one of the C25K so it's still daunting. But thanks for all your stories! I'll get there!

Ann

cakses
08-21-2007, 12:16 AM
Annk it will get easier, heck some days it's still hard for me and I am in week 8 - you just have to keep on plugging along! You'll do great though!

WindyCityChick
08-21-2007, 12:50 AM
All you C25K speed demons out there, slow down :)

I agree with Lisa's advice, at such an early stage in your running career, you should focus more on building distance than your timing. I seem to remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't even think about doing speed work until you've been running for a year at least. I know it can be tough when you have people zipping by you on the running path, but you should really be working on logging miles, and the speed will come naturally.

As for me, even though I've increased in speed considerably from where I started without really working on it, I am still a total snail, particularly at long distances, and I could care less. Far in the back of my mind, my goal for the marathon is to maybe finish in 5 hours - but that is way way behind just finishing it (and finishing still feeling relatively strong, and of course, injury free) as goals.

And Ennay, I'd love to get a chance to say hello in person! I'll be the one in running shoes :lol:

royalsfan1
08-21-2007, 10:00 AM
I woke up late this morning so had to cut my run to only a mile. However, I still got out there and did it. It was so tempting to just skip today or "say" I'll do it tonight...knowing that I truly wouldn't.

Quick question...when do you add distance? Do you wait until the distance you're currently running feels easy? Or does that ever happen? hahah I'm still pretty whipped after my runs but thought maybe I should still be thinking about increasing my distance....?

shananigans
08-22-2007, 10:54 AM
I'd say wait until you don't feel completely whipped by the end of your run to add more on. Some days I feel like I can manage an extra 5 minutes, so I do that. Other days it's a struggle just to get through the run I planned.

Speaking of which, had a terrible run last night. Got hot and humid again, yuk! Had to walk off a side stitch in the middle. I hate bad runs, I wish they could all be good ones. :p

YP1
08-22-2007, 04:48 PM
I had a fantastic run this evening! I've been struggling with my long runs recently, but this evening I felt good and it was nice and sunny (I suspect for one of the last times this year, grumble...) so I decided to head out early, skip running club and just do my own thing. I had a vague idea that I might try to intercept the club run mid way round, but I basically set off and made up my route as I went along. The aim was just to run while I felt comfortable running. My initial aim was for something over about 14 miles - and I ended up doing 17!!! I've done longer runs, but never on a Wednesday after work before. The last couple of miles were tough, but mainly because i was running into a headwind and hadn't taken any water or energy tablets with me (I don't normally need them for anything up to 14, so just took money so I could stop and buy something if I needed it, which I didn't really). I'm so proud of myself.

The only downside is that I seem to have discovered a new form of chafing. I think the keys and money I had in my back zip pocket must have been jiggling about a bit much, I've got chafing in the small of my back!

AnneWonders
08-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Two this morning. Hot, humid and yucky. Plus I was exhausted.

But I'm glad I went.

Anne

ennay
08-23-2007, 11:05 AM
And Ennay, I'd love to get a chance to say hello in person! I'll be the one in running shoes :lol:

:lol3: me too!

Had my last pre Hood-to-Coast run this morning...a brisk3 miler with some pickups in the middle.

One of our runners got injured so we have to run extra...I can not believe I volunteered to run another long segment to free up a short one for someone who has to run 4 legs. I just volunteered to run a 7 a 7 and an 8miler in an 18 hour period. :yikes:

shananigans
08-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Helen - Chafing, will it never stop finding new ways to make runners miserable? :lol: Good job on what sounds like a great run.

ennay - Good luck with that extra run! If my math is right that's 22 miles, why not just take up an extra 4 miler and make it a marathon?

Thankfully it stopped raining long enough for me to do 3.5 mi in just under 35 min this morning. I couldn't figure out why I was so slow, then I realized I had altered my route slightly and added around .25 miles. That explains the extra couple minutes, duh.

Rain has been crazy here, lots of flooding. Plus 2 people were killed by lightning at a bus stop yesterday afternoon, yikes! :(

royalsfan1
08-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Yuck! Lightning! That stuff scares me!

I ran 2 this morning...LONNNNGNGG HOTTTTT MUGGGGGY 2. I kept setting markers telling myself "when I get to that point I'll walk" but each time I just set a new marker. It worked and I ran the entire way. But it was miserable. I can't wait for cooler weather! I might actually like to run, then!

ennay
08-23-2007, 02:33 PM
The only downside is that I seem to have discovered a new form of chafing. I think the keys and money I had in my back zip pocket must have been jiggling about a bit much, I've got chafing in the small of my back!

I have often wished for a vat or spray booth of bodyglide - all over coverage. Everytime I think I hit all the spots up pops another one.

I think the farthest I've ever run without fuel was 10 miles...it was first thing in the morning though and I hadnt eaten before :dizzy: I fuel less than I used to but still couldnt do a 17 w/o fuel.

Shenanigans...hey why not! ;)

ennay
08-24-2007, 01:04 PM
OY this starting a race in the late afternoon is TORTURE. Van 1 started at 10 am, my Van doesnt start until 3, I wont run until 5:30 pm. I have race gut with nothing to do but pace!

YP1
08-24-2007, 01:09 PM
I know the feeling - the first time I did an afternoon race I had no idea what to do all morning. I'm getting a bit better at it now, but it's still strange. I'm just glad that in the relay I'm doing next weekend I'm doing leg 2 which starts at between 9.30 - 10am (depending how fast the first pair are) and finishes just in time for lunch.

I did a nice 10k this morning before work. I'm off to Italy now, so I'm not sure how much running I'll get done in the next week or so. I'm 4 miles off my goal for the month though, so that's an incentive to slip a short one in either I'm away or as soon as I get back. I an currently trying to think of an excuse to get some quality carb loading in while I'm out there ;)

cakses
08-24-2007, 04:13 PM
I am buying a treadmill this weekend for days I don't get to the gym. Took a few days off this week to give my left leg a break - apparently it hates me lol. Hoping to get back on track Monday!

HeatherAngel
08-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Good for you, cakses - I LOVE mine :cloud9: and I couldn't be without it!! Mine has an ortho belt, which runners are apparently divided on, but it's good for my knees!

Let us know what you get :)

LisaMarie71
08-25-2007, 09:26 AM
Ugh, I haven't run since Monday!!! :mad:

I was sick most of the week, and I was crazy busy with getting everything ready for the new school year. I planned to do a 7 mile run Thursday but had to go to the doctor instead. Then I planned to do 10 miles this morning, but I went out last night and had a few drinks and the bar was all smoky so now I'm sick (I'm allergic to cigarette smoke so I'm always sick if I'm around it). That was a stupid thing to do, but I wanted to celebrate my last few moments of freedom before the students show up Monday and everything gets crazy!

I'm running tomorrow no matter WHAT!!!!

ennay
08-25-2007, 11:42 PM
Just got back from hood to coast, fun but exhausting. I ended up doing a 6.2 then a 6.9 then a 4.25 The 6.9 was my best...I ran faster than I have ever run before under any conditions

I've had 20 minutes sleep tops though, so as soon as I get my baby down its zzzzz time..

EZMONEY
08-26-2007, 09:55 AM
Just got back from hood to coast, fun but exhausting. I ended up doing a 6.2 then a 6.9 then a 4.25 The 6.9 was my best...I ran faster than I have ever run before under any conditions

:cp::cp::cp::cp::cp: SUCH A STUD :cp::cp::cp::cp::cp:

LisaMarie71
08-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Woohoo, ennay!

I finally got a nice long run in this morning, and it was my last long one before the half marathon next Sunday. I hadn't run since Monday, so I was afraid it would be tough. It was tough in a way, but I felt really strong and I pushed myself. I did 10 miles in 1 hour, 53 minutes, which is an average 11:18 mile pace. That's the fastest pace I've ever had on a long run, by far, and I still had energy for a push at the end. And zero walk breaks -- I drank water twice, but I ran while doing it.

I'll run with the students during cross country practice on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Then I'll do an easy couple of miles on Saturday...and then the big race Sunday! Scary!

AnneWonders
08-26-2007, 06:46 PM
Good going Ennay. Good for you getting your run in Lisa.

I ran 2.5 miles yesterday, on vacation no less. I was at altitude (5600 ft) and it was still easier than dealing with the horrid heat and humidity.

Anne

WindyCityChick
08-27-2007, 12:07 AM
Wow Ennay, sounds like you had a great set of runs, must be hard to start and stop like that, no?

I made it through 20 miles today, feeling pretty good about it. The last few miles were definitely challenging, but I could see toughing it out for a final 6 when the time comes (and it's coming soon - can't believe there are only 6 weeks left till marathon day).

AnneWonders
08-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Wow, Rachel, is it that soon? Good job on your long run. Do you have another 20 miler, since your are 6 weeks out?

Anne

Sheila53
08-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Just got back from hood to coast

:bravo: What a satisfying feeling that must be!

Now, you weren't one of those people who left their, er, um, droppings in that lady's front yard, right? :)

WindyCityChick
08-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Thanks Anne! Yup - it's only 6 weeks away now. It does feel good to have a 20-miler under my belt now...helps me visualize being able to do the full 26.2. I'll get one more 20 in before I start my taper, and I have a half marathon in two weeks, which I think will help to get me into race mindset.

cakses
08-28-2007, 01:06 AM
Going to the doctor sometime this week when I can get in to be seen. I think it's getting worse. I did buy a treadmill so I am guessing now that I have bought it the Dr. is going to make me take a break and I can just stare at my investment - LOL.

Someone send me some healing vibes before my legs give out on me!

HeatherAngel
08-28-2007, 09:30 AM
Cakses :hug: - you can always WALK on the treadmill... and barring that (if the doc says not to) you can always amuse yourself by folding it up... and down... and up... and down... :joker:

Let us know how you get on at the doctor!!

royalsfan1
08-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Cakes - hope your news from the doctor ends up being good news!

I had the best run of my life this morning!!! I was all geared up to go to the gym and give a treadmill a shot since I'm SICK TO DEATH of sun, heat, and humidity when I'm trying to run. Anyway, I was outside with my daughter waiting on her carpool to school and it was CLOUDY, COOL, and BREEZY! I thought "heck with the treadmill!" and took off on my normal route. I did 2.5 miles and felt GREAT! Sure I was sweaty and tired but NOTHING like it has been. I was also MUCH faster. Man, I just really feel better about me as a runner after that one. :D

ennay
08-28-2007, 02:31 PM
:bravo: What a satisfying feeling that must be!

Now, you weren't one of those people who left their, er, um, droppings in that lady's front yard, right? :)

Someone did that? That is horrible.

ennay
08-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Wow Ennay, sounds like you had a great set of runs, must be hard to start and stop like that, no?

I made it through 20 miles today, feeling pretty good about it. The last few miles were definitely challenging, but I could see toughing it out for a final 6 when the time comes (and it's coming soon - can't believe there are only 6 weeks left till marathon day).

I cant believe it either. I missed my original 20, but hood-to coast had to count for SOMETHING. I am doing a half next weekend and then a 20 before taper. I feel weird because I havent done what I originally planned, but I think I should be ok. I think I am going to go out for 7 or so on Saturday and then do the half on sunday on tired legs

I think the hardest part about HTC is that you have shorter runs so you run faster ....I ran that middle one at race pace and was totally blown for the 3rd one. Plus its hard to fuel properly running every 6 hours or so.

AnneWonders
08-29-2007, 09:32 AM
I did my 2.4 mile loop this morning. I'm definitely recovering some fitness, because my first running interval was a mile. So three running intervals, two walk breaks. Not so bad. Temp was OK at 76F and humidity was bearable--based on the puddles around, I think it might have rained last night, but I slept like the dead so not sure I would know.

Anne

AnneWonders
08-29-2007, 09:34 AM
PS cakses, what did the dr say?

ennay
08-29-2007, 12:18 PM
9.6 this morning....

I think HTC and the marathon are too close together...I want a break!

cakses
08-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Doc ok'd me to run. Says it's just muscle pain not anything broken or sprained and said do what I think I can and don't over do it. gave me 800mg Motrin to take 3 times a day and told me to ice the leg in the evenings or when it hurts me and to come back if it worsens.

Well that was all I needed to hear. I got on my treadmill and did week 5 day 1 of c25k - yes i am supposed to be on the last week but I figure I will finish it eventually. So I did three seperate 5 minute runs and it felt good but taking 10 days off made it hard - plus we don't have a/c so it was like running in a sauna LOL. Need to remember that and run in the AM from now on.

But I am ok and back and just going to enjoy my new treadmill (a Vision 9450 deluxe that I am in LOVE with) and keep on running!

AnneWonders
08-29-2007, 10:02 PM
I think HTC and the marathon are too close together...I want a break!

How far out is the marathon, 5 weeks? Usually when I start wanting to punch someone if they mention working out, when I'm about 4 weeks out, I'll have an awesome race. Sounds like you're right on schedule.

Cakses, I think it is a good idea to build up a little after a week and a half layoff.

So I was walking my dogs this morning after my run, and I hear some very quiet feet behind me, and then I got passed by a runner. I'm guessing the guy was a Kenyan, but regardless, I just stopped and watched him for a while. It was simply astonishing, like watching water flowing. Usually when you see the really fast guys in a race, they are working so hard and look like it. But the guy this morning was so graceful, and it just looked so effortless and light.

So now, I have Kenyan runner using my route. I guess I'm going to have to pick it up a little. :)

Anne

WindyCityChick
08-29-2007, 11:11 PM
Anne, must be awesome to see someone like that up close. Some athletes are just so amazing that they seem to be an entirely different species. I remember watching Michael Jordan play during the glory days of the Bulls, and he made everyone else on the court look like they were moving in slow motion - and it looked effortless for him.

7.5 miles for me tonight - and it almost felt cool outside, fall must be coming!

ennay
08-30-2007, 10:16 AM
lol Anne...I am not quite to the punch someone...just at the whiny "what do you mean I dont get to take it easy this week and why do I have to run a 1/2 mary this weekend?" :tantrum:

Cakses - I agree, after a 10 day lay off, you should back track a bit, especially if it was for muscle soreness...just ease back in to it.

Kenyans - whoo boy, it happens every year on HTC the way they stagger the starts. They dont want anyone finishing before they have the finish line set up so the elite teams actually start pretty late. Both times they have passed us at about leg 30 and whoooooooooo. Its like being passed by wind.

So kick it up girl! You can see how effortless it is...just do it! :rofl: :lol3:

cakses
08-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Well I ran again today and felt great minus a blister. Time for new shoes!! I sort of knew my shoes were causing me problems, so now I know for sure and can just use these shoes for walking around.

Did 2.4 miles and although it was a slight struggle at the end, I made it. Two 8 minutes segments. Hoping tomorrow's run with my SIL shows me off a bit. She visited 10 weeks ago and we went out running and I could barely make it the 1 minute at a time. Going to try for 10-12 minutes tomorrow with her and just see how it goes.

ennay
08-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Just walked today. Depressed because my online running group that I have been with for 4 years and all our pregnancies is just getting....welll.... its falling apart, there is barely anyone there anymore and everytime I post anything someone gets their nose out of joint about it. So now I push to the marathon without their support.

Ahhh screw em. You guys are better anyways. :D I was staying with them out of loyalty but to heck with that.

LisaMarie71
08-30-2007, 08:12 PM
Yep, forget them, ennay. You're with us, and we're so much cooler...heehee...

I did 3.7 miles with my cross country team tonight and it felt pretty good but I got tired kind of quickly. I think it's because I'm stressed and tired from this first week of school.

Last night was the first cross country meet of the season and it was lots of fun for the most part. Our guys won but our girls didn't, but we were going against a much bigger school with some really fast runners. One of our guys was the #1 spot, and lots of our young runners were fantastic, so our team is only going to get better. The course was TOUGH. We walked it before they ran to make sure we knew where it went, and it was full of really long hills, some of them quite steep, and very rough terrain. One of our kids got dehydrated, threw up, blacked out, and collapsed on the trail. It was so scary!! He's ok now, but I was rather freaked out by it.

WindyCityChick
08-31-2007, 12:15 AM
Hey Lisa, I was wondering if the start of the school year was why we haven't heard much from you this week. Sounds like you're in full swing on the coaching gig, that experience with the kid who blacked out does sound quite scary!

I am so happy that we have a stretch of nice weather here in the midwest. It is sunny and 70 degrees - pretty much perfect for running as far as I'm concerned. And supposed to last for the entire holiday weekend - woohoo! Hope you all get to enjoy your weekend.

And Ennay, I second Lisa's sentiment - you've got friends here, who needs any oher online group! (But I'm sure it's tough to see the demise of a group you've spent 4 years with)

LisaMarie71
08-31-2007, 07:44 PM
Rachel, I'm soooo jealous of your 70-degree weather! We're still mostly in the upper 80s and lower 90s, and I'm worried that it will be hot at my half on Sunday! The sun reflecting off the ocean water -- eek!

I wasn't going to run with the students today, but I decided to jog the 1.2 miles over to their hill and then jog it back after they finished their hill sprints (which I did NOT do with them!) I shouldn't have done it, because I think I've hurt myself somehow. I have pain in my right ankle...right above the ankle, really, and it's slightly swollen. My husband's worried that it's a stress fracture. Of COURSE I get some pain RIGHT before the half. Jeez.

Anyway, yeah, I haven't been around as much because I'm absurdly busy with school already. This coaching thing is seriously time-consuming. I used to get all my work done right after school while waiting for my husband to coach, and now I have to rush out and change and then run with them!