Desserts - Diet Cake

View Full Version : Diet Cake

Christine1128
08-02-2007, 07:59 AM
So most of you meeting-goers have probably heard of this recipe before. I had heard of it, but I never tried it... till a couple weeks ago ;)
Thought I'd report on the results:

So apparently you can bake a cake using this recipe:

1 box cake mix (i used a low fat chocolate cake mix yum)
1 can diet soda (I used diet coke)
FF cool whip as icing

THATS IT. Don't add anything else-- none of the butter, milk, nada. You can also do other combinations-- fruit cakes and fresca, devils food cake and cranberry soda-- whatever, as long as its diet and as long as you don't add anything else.

Put the cake mix in a bowl, add diet soda, stir and bake according to the directions (you may need some oil for the cake pan). Mine came out the perfect consistency, and it rose perfectly-- I actually made two thin cakes from the batter and put ff cool whip in the middle. I've heard from other people at meetings that sometimes it doesn't rise-- but I didn't find that true at all. Mine was delicious-- like cake but not as rich and your belly didn't feel as nasty afterwards. Who knew cake could be a fairly low point dessert?

The point value turns out to be just the value of the dry mix on the side of the cake box plus the ff cool whip (and if you sop the pan with oil, add that too-- i was pretty sparing). Mine was 4 points per 1/10 of the cake-- for me, this is the perfect after-dinner sweet.

Has anyone else tried any different combinations-- like a fruit cake or a vanilla cake? I'm thinking of making another one for a family get-together next weekend and I'm trying to figure out which would be the best ;)

AND I'm not going to tell them it's a "diet cake" till after everyone eats ;)

bargoo
08-02-2007, 09:21 AM
I used a chocolate cake mix and a can of diet Dr. Pepper and baked it in a 9 inch square pan . it was delicious, just like a regular cake.I tried it with a white cake mix and a diet 7UP and it was lousy.
i

TheScrapper
08-04-2007, 08:47 AM
I made this recipe using carrot cake mix and I mixed into the Cool whip Cheesecake FF/SF instant pudding mix. 18 cupcakes...2 pts a piece and the FF cool whip is free. I even had my 8 year old begging to bring them to school, they were a little sweet but perfect for my cravings at times!

evilwomaniamshe
09-25-2007, 10:17 PM
Yes this is a nummy cake. I've made all kinds, lemon, cherry, strawberry, chocolate with great results on each kind using a diet soda.

Did you know you can also use a strawberry cake mix and 1 cup of diet sprite and 1 cup of dry oatmeal, mix these 3 ingredients and then spray a cookie sheet with pam and make drop cookies out of these, they are delish too! I make them and freeze them and whenever I have a craving, I eat them, sometimes even frozen too. I also made the cookies with chocolate cake mix, the oatmeal and 1 cup of diet cherry coke, they are like a chewy brownie. I have bags in my freezer for emergencies. Bake the cookies 350 for 8-12 minutes or till done.

katmeow
10-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Orange cake mix and diet orange soda. I put a little orange zest in the cool whip and served at a dinner party. Everyone raved and were amazed it was diet. I didn't tell them until AFTER they ate it.

Prissiroo
10-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Ok - I just made this - chocolate cake mix with diet coke - omg it was soooo good. Even my family enjoyed it. Kind of a differen texture - more brownie like - but I like that even better! Thanks for sharing this - it will be a lifesaver with me! Now I just have to keep myself from eating the whole thing tonight! lol...

scgirl32
10-30-2007, 03:29 PM
My friend does this with yellow cake mix and a can of Sierra Mist Free. Then, just before the cake has fully set, she pricks holes in the top with a toothpick and pours a flavored jello (mix and water -- unset) over the top. Then, finish baking and "frost" it with SF cool whip.

Also tasty is a box of brownie mix with a can of pumpkin (no eggs, oil, etc.). Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. It makes very fudgy brownies.

NEWYEARNEWME
11-05-2007, 08:51 PM
G,day hey evilwoman the cookies sound good do you l now how many points there are per cookie, the choccy cake and diet coke sounds good I,ll have to give it ago.

Thanks...JULS

kitkatbahr
11-06-2007, 07:55 AM
The cakes sound yummy but if I was going to go somewhere and someone made one, I would hope they would let me know that it contains aspertame or artificial sweetener, as I absotlutely CAN NOT eat that stuff. It affects my nervous system. My neurologist had me quit drinking diet soda and using all artificial sweeteners because I was having neurological problems.

Kathy

kaplods
11-06-2007, 09:31 AM
I usually don't even add the Cool Whip. I've used orange soda and white, orange, or lemon cake. Cherry Cola or Cherry 7-up with white or chocolate (or cherry chip when I can find it). At my bridal shower, I got a recipe (not diet) using rootbeer and white cake, and adding rootbeer extract in the frosting), so I think the diet version would be good too.

Dumplin
12-05-2007, 06:34 AM
I make Spiced Pumpkin Muffins....one box spice cake mix, one can 15oz. pumpkin.You may need to add just a little water to mix well. They are so goooooood!!!!

wmchunter
01-16-2008, 01:24 PM
I made the carrot cake cupcakes like THESCRAPPER wrote about with spritezero. They are yummy! I can't wait to try others.

SunShineGirl23
01-16-2008, 11:18 PM
I’m having a little birthday get together tomorrow here and for a sec I kind of freaked out cuz the thought of caked popped into my head and I was like oh no! Since it’s only my 6th day on WW. I freaked I didn’t want to go around cake. I was telling my friend I am so not ready for that lol. Then I remembered reading on here last night about the pop cake and I just yelled out I will make the cake myself lmao. So I’m going to give it a shot Thanks for posting all the great ways to do it. Lol now I just have to pick one!!!!

Tammy
01-16-2008, 11:43 PM
Dumplin, my hubby and I were just talking about those pumpkin spice muffins. We haven't had them in ages! My uncle really liked them when I gave him some. Maybe it's time to make some and take him some again.

I also like making an angel food cake with crushed pineapple or sugar-free cherry pie filler. Yummy!!

girlshabookie
01-17-2008, 02:08 PM
The cakes made with chocolate mix and a can of diet coke are fabulous. I have 5 big teenage boys and they thought is was the best.

alliegater
02-02-2008, 09:17 PM
OMG! This is so good! I live upstairs from a grocery store so when I read this I went right down and got the ingredients. I made it with devils food cake mix and cherry coke zero (not sure how this differs from diet cherry coke, but no calories regardless). I opted for cupcakes so I wouldn't need to use oil and could portion control better. I also quartered some maraschino cherries and put one piece in the center of some of the cupcakes (wish I would have put one in all! Really added to the flavor!) Plain, they're great - texture is slightly different than regular but still tasty! Top off with a teaspoon of lite whipped topping and I can't tell the difference from the real thing! Even my fiance loves them, and he can be picky! Thank you so much whoever thought of this recipe!

Oh, another great thing about making cupcakes - I used the medium sized pampered chef scoop to divide the batter, and got a little over 24 cupcakes (I put extra in a couple of them so that I wouldn't have to run the oven for 2-3 more!) That would put each cupcake at less than 80 calories and slightly more than one gram of fat each!

Not gonna lie, these little guys put me a little over my calories for the day, but WAY less than if they were the regular ones and if I weren't watching everything else I ate! And now that I've had my fix, the rest can be put out of sight, frozen, or sent with the neighbors so I don't go overboard again :D

beliter
02-04-2008, 07:41 PM
I've tried that recipe.Love it.Try different kinds of cake mix & diet drinks.
I've made devils food & Sunkist,vanilla & Sprite,tried vanilla & root beer...
not too great,but edible.
I too make cupcakes,easier to manage.
bec

Brandelyn75
02-18-2008, 12:51 PM
I need to try these recipes out. They all sound so yummy.

kaplods
02-18-2008, 04:35 PM
A similar recipe is one can of pureed pumpkin (with no added spices, some pumpkin "pie fillings" have added cinnamon and such) and a box of cake mix. The batter is so thick, I was very much tempted to add more liquid - except the recipe on Hungry Girl website said the batter will seem thick, don't add extra liquid.

I was asked to bring some type of quick bread (banana, nut...) for Thanksgiving, so I brought pumpkin/carrot and pumpkin/chocolate muffins made this way. To the devil's food chocolate cake mix, I added a can of pumkin and put in muffin tins. To the carrot cake though, I added about 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts and a handful of dried apricots. I didn't figure the calories for the carrot cake as I wasn't planning on eating them. But the pumpkin added like 10 calories to each serving (1/12 or recipe).

I stopped at a bagel shop to get flavored cream cheese for the non-dieters to spread on their muffin if they wanted. Shouldn't have bothered as no one added cream cheese, and raved about both types.

I thought I would taste the pumpkin in the chocolate muffins, but I really didn't. They were just dense, fudgey muffins. So good.

nelie
02-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Kaplods,

I recently did a similar thing with Vitamuffin mix http://vitabakingmixes.com/bakingmix_product_info.html

I added pumpkin and it was sooo good. Made little 80 calorie chocolate muffins.

Institches21
03-16-2008, 05:18 AM
Hi-new to this web site, just always looking for a new recipe. I did try the angel food with pumkin, and I added dried cranberries and raisins to the dry ingredients, then I put them in the large foil muffin cups, {I found that when I put them in the regular muffin pans they stick, since you can't spray the pan with non stick spray} They are 2pts each. I also make my DH a cake for his birthday, the pineapple cake mix and a can of crushed pineapple, but the cake was so moist that I found it hard to slice, so maybe I will try cupcakes next time. Then a dollop of ff whip cream, yummy!!

2fat2jump
05-03-2008, 04:44 PM
I tried making cupcakes using this recipe. I mixed white cake mix with Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper. In my mind I thought it'd be a terrific combo, but it was too sweet and kind of gross. I think I might use chocolate cake mix next time.

KatieLeighVOLS
05-04-2008, 12:50 AM
I've made this the past 2 weekends for my boyfriend and his friends---the first was a lemon cake with Diet sierra mist, and the one today was Strawberry cake with Diet Sprite. Both had Light Cool whip as a topping, and they loved both...most of them ate at least 2 pieces! They liked the strawberry one better though..I think it was a bit moister. I think next I will try the orange cake, yum! What about butter pecan cake mix? any suggestions for what to put in it?

mandalinn82
05-04-2008, 01:05 AM
Diet Cream Soda might be good!

freedomreins
05-05-2008, 05:57 AM
I made brownies last night with Diet Coke and they were really good! I fed them to my friends and asked if they could tell me what my "secret" ingredient was ;) The only thing I found was that the brownies were really sweet and not that chocolate-y... though it was probably just the mix I used. Still, for 2 points for a big brownie, I don't mind!!

LitaScarlett
05-21-2008, 10:25 AM
I made the angel food cake with diet 7up (even though all it required was water... what a dope I am!) and I split the mix up between two pie tins. On one I put FF Cool Whip with FF/SF Pistachio pudding and put some pistachios on top. On the other one I did FF/SF cheesecake flavored pudding and sliced strawberries. I put 5 chocolate-covered strawberries for an accent (my BF ate them all so no chocolate for me). It was delicious!

ydkj05
06-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Kinda of a silly question but does the diet coke need to be cold or room tempature? Or does it matter. Thanks

Hello Nurse
06-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Has anyone tried freezing the leftovers (say, cupcakes for instance?) How do they freeze/thaw? I am assuming you would freeze them un-frosted. Can't wait to try this for hubby birthday in July!

Sheena41
06-06-2009, 05:26 PM
If you over stir it will cause problems with the cake being flat. I learned that this week at my WW meeting.

determined09
06-07-2009, 07:50 PM
I probably missed this in one of the replies, but, what is the pop replacing? Is it just the cake mix and the diet pop with no eggs and oil? Sorry if this is a repeat question. Just curious.

kaplods
06-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Yep, the diet pop (or the pumpkin in the alternative recipe) are replacing all of the added ingredients: oil, water, eggs - whatever the mix calls for.

determined09
06-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks so much! I have a shower I'm hosting soon and alot of the women are dieting. This sounds like something everyone will enjoy. Thanks

glutio
06-07-2009, 11:01 PM
I made strawberry cake with strawberry kiwi Fruit20. Mmmm!!!

determined09
06-09-2009, 09:22 PM
OOOHH that sounds really good! I'll write that combo down!

ladyleo
06-11-2010, 07:03 PM
I really love this cake. You cant tell that its diet. I will be using this one again.

ghostgirl811
11-11-2010, 10:04 AM
i just made one with white cake and sprite zero, of course i had to like the batter out of the bowl and i could taste some of the pop in it but once it was baked it tasted like normal cake, i just didnt holod together very well, i used cool whip as icing and i think i like it better without lol i want more now lol

geminigirl33
10-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Please, can anyone tell me how many points to this recipe......i added 1 cup of water to the carrot cake mix and 15 oz pumpkin. Thank you!

bargoo
10-08-2012, 09:02 PM
German chocolate cake with diet Dr Pepper Yummy. it was just like any cake in denseness and was delicious. I'm going to the store tomorrow, I am going to get maybe a spice cake and pumpkin puree and angel food cake and crushed pineapple, I have a tendency to get carried away on these things so will need to reign myself in a little.

Crazyone
10-12-2012, 03:03 PM
I have tried the cake mix with the soda recipe twice and both times it came out horribly...it fizzed up and cooked awful.. I would rather buy a sugar free cake mix to be honest... or have no sugar added ice cream instead..

mariwhatever
11-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Is it possible to use other thing other than soda or pumpkin puree?
And other thing, do you use regular cake in a box or diet ones?

Thanks! :)