Exercise! - C25K - August

View Full Version : C25K - August

cakses
08-02-2007, 01:26 AM
New month ladies (and gents???) - if you're new here, just post away!

I did 2.3 miles today - 2nd run of week 5 and OMG ouch. I don't know if I overdid it on Tuesday with my hills hike or what but it feels like week 1 all over again. It burned and it hurt and then stretching was agony!

I am totally stressed over Friday's 20 min run now after today. I made it through today but it was such a struggle I am thinking maybe I should repeat it a few times before moving on? I dunno, I would hate to deviate from the program though. Maybe I should just start on Friday and see how far I can go.

Tomorrow I am just going to do a flat 30 minute walk and light weights so I don't set myself up for failure.

HeatherAngel
08-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Morning! :wave:

Way to go, Cakses - you're doing so great! :cheer: You CAN do this!! Be sure to stretch before and after you run - I found when I didn't (and I'd just think, "well, a five minute walk before and after will do") my shins and legs REALLY got uncomfortable - I am a HUGE stretcher now!! :)

As for Friday - yes, just start, and see what happens! I bet you'll surprise yourself - and remember - I am also a HUGE believer in repeating days, too!!

Heather :D

onthetee
08-02-2007, 01:51 PM
New month ladies (and gents???) - if you're new here, just post away!

I did 2.3 miles today - 2nd run of week 5 and OMG ouch. I don't know if I overdid it on Tuesday with my hills hike or what but it feels like week 1 all over again. It burned and it hurt and then stretching was agony!

I am totally stressed over Friday's 20 min run now after today. I made it through today but it was such a struggle I am thinking maybe I should repeat it a few times before moving on? I dunno, I would hate to deviate from the program though. Maybe I should just start on Friday and see how far I can go.

Tomorrow I am just going to do a flat 30 minute walk and light weights so I don't set myself up for failure.

I am with ya, baby!! Running the best I can today, going to try to get in 30 of running with as few breaks as possible. Going for the 20 straight on Saturday morning. Yikes.

TxBrittany
08-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Hi guys! I'm new to C25K, just started it, have done 2 days of week one. I'm liking it so far, and surprised myself by completing the first two days. I've haven't run since pretty much middle school, but I'm thinking it may be just what I need to complement my strength workouts and get a nice toned look.

Question: What is a good pace for a beginner to start at? I've only done the 2 days so far, but I've been doing the running intervals at about 4.5 mph. Is this too slow? I know it's more of a jog, not a run, and that's ok with me. But should I kick it up a bit?

onthetee
08-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Cakses---I did 20 today, and it did not suck like I thought it would. I am incredible happy right now. The joy of getting it over with is soooo worth it.

I am one of the biggest complainers on God's earth. I am not one to complain and do nothing about what is irking me; I complain WHILE I am fixing whatever it is. If a big whiner like me can do it, a strong woman like yourself will have no trouble. PM me if you to arrange for personal cheerleading from me. (I am a doula. If I can cheer a woman through 12 hours of labor, I can cheer you through 20 minutes of running.)

cakses
08-03-2007, 07:41 PM
OMG I did it. I almost threw up a few times, thank God I only ate Cheerios before I ran haha. But I made it the entire 20 mins run. Wow. It feels good. It ended up being 1.5 miles up from the about .75 miles I did Wednesday on my 8 minute run, so that is the farthest I have ever ran in my life no matter how good of shape I was in!

HeatherAngel
08-03-2007, 09:04 PM
:cheer: Cakses - you rock, girl! Way to go!! :bravo:

LeedaRenee
08-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Awesome cakes!!

TXbrittany, I am just a few days ahead of you in the program, so welcome! Everyone has told me just to go as slow as comfortble and that's what I do. I found that I've naturally sped up a little as the workouts go on.

I did the last day of week 2 today and felt pretty good about it. I really want to start week 3 tomorrow, but I guess I need to wait.

cakses
08-03-2007, 11:24 PM
Thanks everyone, I was so excited that I did it and I had no one to celebrate with, so I came home to post to you guys. I need to find a local exercise partner so I can run with somebody. My bet is if I was talking non-stop I wouldn't have looked at the clock once!

LeedaRenee
08-03-2007, 11:45 PM
Gosh, I don't think I could carry on a conversation and run at the same time. It feels like I need to conserve all of my breath lol.

HeatherAngel
08-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Well - I have signed up for a 5K... never really appealed to me to do more than finish the programme :lol:, but a friend who was inspired by me - that still makes me laugh! That *I* inspired ANYONE to do exercise!! - and is on week six now suggested we sign up for a 5K in mid-October, so that's it - it's real now!

I feel good about doing it - just sad I can't take my treadmill and just run on that instead! :joker:

alinnell
08-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Good morning! I've been lurking here for the past couple of weeks and am finding that you are all so inspirational!

cakses~that is so cool that you made it the full 20 minutes! I started this thing hoping and praying that I can finish the week where you run for 5 minutes! I'm not there yet, but I'm starting to think I can make the whole program now.

Anyway, let me tell you a little about myself. I've been a 3FC'er for about a year and a half. I mostly hang out in Featherweights and Maintainers. I've been having a tough time getting the last few pounds off (and recently gained a few extra pounds--don't you hate vacations?!). I had read a lot about the c25k program and was interested in trying it, but it took a lot of motivation on my part to actually start it. A couple of weeks ago, I stumbled on the podcasts that were made for the program and I made the decision to start. I am so glad that I did!

I began on Tuesday July 24th. I actually ended up doing Week 1 for 4 days rather than 3 because I was intimidated with moving up a level. But I did the first day of Week 2 last Thursday and I was amazed that it seemed almost easier than Week 1!! I did my second day of Week 2 this morning (despite waking up with a sore throat).

I look forward to keeping up with all of you and hope that in 7 week's time I'll be a real runner! (Never in my life did I think I'd say that!)

HeatherAngel
08-04-2007, 01:05 PM
:welcome: Allison!

Good for you for starting C25K - I never DREAMED I could do THREE minutes - I really struggled, and I did days over - and weeks over! - to stretch it out to suit me... but if *I* can do, I swear anyone can! :lol3:

Keep at it, and repeat as often as you like - I was told early on that C25K accelerates faster than many running programmes. And keep checking in here and letting us know how you are getting on!! :)

cakses
08-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Welcome Allison!

Running will absolutley help you shed those last 10 pounds. I know the first couple of weeks seem hard but once you hit week 4 you'll be laughing when you think of running for 60 seconds to 3 minutes! I'm still a heavy person and I am managing this pretty well with some soreness of course.

Well today is my day off and I even have a babysitter coming soon, wahoo! For being such a good girl and doing my whole 20 minutes, I treated myself to a much needed facial wax and I am taking myself (hubby is deployed) to the movies tonight with a free pass I have! I am going to try this relaxing thing and see if the lack of stress for a few hours helps!

onthetee
08-04-2007, 08:56 PM
OMG I did it. I almost threw up a few times, thank God I only ate Cheerios before I ran haha. But I made it the entire 20 mins run. Wow. It feels good. It ended up being 1.5 miles up from the about .75 miles I did Wednesday on my 8 minute run, so that is the farthest I have ever ran in my life no matter how good of shape I was in!

YAY! Great work! I KNEW you could do it.

LeedaRenee
08-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Welcome Allison! Heather, I also signed up for one in late October. I hope I can run the whole thing! I am about to start week 3 today...wish me luck!

HeatherAngel
08-05-2007, 11:12 AM
:lucky: GOOD LUCK, Allison! (and good for you!) :goodluck:

LeedaRenee
08-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Well I did D1 of week 3 and it was much easier than I thought. I really thought 3 minutes was going to kill me and it was challenging , but not impossible. I am so surprised. Maybe I can dothis after all :)

alinnell
08-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Renee~I'm glad to hear W3 is easier than W2! Seriously, I only did one extra day of W1 because I was having a hard time with it. Now I wish I hadn't do that! W2 is tons easier than W1 (6 intervals rather than 8). Tomorrow is my last W2 and then Thursday I'll move on to W3. Frankly, it's W5 that looks scary!

TxBrittany
08-06-2007, 08:34 PM
I finished week 1 today! Yay! I'm looking forward to starting week 2 later this week. It's so nice to see you all post about how great you're doing, it really makes me feel like this is something I can accomplish!

cakses
08-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Good for all you ladies who have just started. Week 5 was scary, I just finished it Friday but it can be done!

Today was day 1 of week 6, and it seems like going back down to intervals is harder than just running a whole 20 minutes. Is that strange? Eh, it doesn't matter much though because Wednesday is the last interval day of the whole program and then it's just long runs from there on out!

LeedaRenee
08-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Allison, I was just telling DH that there was no way I would be able to do 20 minutes of running when I was looking ahead at week 5. I guess we will see! Brittany, congrats on finishing week 1!
Cakses, I hope I feel the same way you do when I'm in week 6.

EZMONEY
08-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Good :lucky: Luck on your C25K programs ladies. Angie always uses the program, to get back in shape to run, when she has had time off from knee or back trouble. She loves it.

About a month ago the kids were over with their spouses and some friends. My :love: daughter in law :love: and one of her friends were asking Angie how to "start" running if you never really have. She suggested C25K to them. When my :love: daughter in law :love: was over last week, Angie asked her how it was going....she says "Well Angie mostly COUCH!" ;)

onthetee
08-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Well, I am thoroughly disgusted with myself. I did the 20 of week five last week. Saturday, I did 15r 2w 5r with no problems. Tonight, I just wanted to prove that the 20 was not a fluke. Let me tell you, I think it was. At 12, I was so bored, I thought I would cry. Nothing on the iPod interested me, music or podcasts. Nothing on TV was interesting. The latest O got me from 12 to 15, and I called it a night. I knew I would be angry at myself, and I am.

My runs go better in the morning than in the evenings, and I cannot do another morning run until Wednesday. I will try again. Instead of the intervals, I think I will just add a minute a day until I hit 30.

EZMONEY
08-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Every day WILL not always be an improvemnet ~ Get off the whiny bus and get going or join my Pity Party in Weight Loss Support ... wink

TxBrittany
08-06-2007, 11:03 PM
I agree that every day is not an improvement. I did two days of week one, tried to do the third day, and only got through 6 minutes. And that's just on week ONE! But today I went for it again and got through it no problem. So give it another shot, I'm sure you'll do great!

HeatherAngel
08-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Oh, tee - this is absolutely normal - some days, you just won't feel like running - or up to it. Of course, that doesn't help much when you feel angry with yourself - I know how gutted I felt when I couldn't finish a run... now shake it off, and run again - like the wind! :lol3: - next time! :hug:

Congrats to ALL of you following this programme - it is a challenge, and it is awesome to complete! ;) Keep at it!!

alinnell
08-07-2007, 12:44 PM
I completed week 2 this morning and I feel great! Thursday I'll start on W3 and I think I'll do just fine. I'm still scared of what is beyond that, though. It sure is good to have my Chico to run with! He sits by the door and whines as I get dressed and is so anxious to get out and get going. He's a real motivator. I just wish I could go a little later in the morning. 4:30 is awful early and DARK!

EZMONEY
08-07-2007, 12:47 PM
:cp: ALLISON :cp:

alinnell
08-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks, Gary!!!

judes26
08-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Hi Everyone!

I have been on and off 3fatchicks for over 2 years. I come and go, while my weight goes up and down :)

Well, I finally decided that this is it- I am counting calories and excercising and I WILL lose the weight for good this time.

It is so funny, I was looking at this forum for advice about running, because my husband and I just started C25K last week! Today we do W2 D1!!! I am so proud of myself for even getting this far- running has always been difficult for me- but my husband is a great motivator. I was so excited to see other C25K'ers on here!

Have you all lost weight doing C25K? I am eating about 1600 calories per day (i weigh 185, 5'7 height).... just wondering what I should expect.... I look forward to hearing from you all!

LeedaRenee
08-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Hey judes, welcome! I've only been doing C25k for 3 weeks but I noticed a 2 pound loss that a first week I did it, which is a lot for me (I'm usually a 1 pound every 2 week loser). Right now, I'm expecting TOM so no weight loss for me :( I definitly feel a difference in my leg muscles though. Congrats on starting week 2! Also nice to see another mississippian on here!

Allison, that is great that you get up so early to run! I wish I could get up earlier, it gets so hot here by 8 am even.

I did week 3, d2 and it went smoothly. I'm pretty anxious to get started on week 4, I wonder how 5 minute run will go...yikes.

cakses
08-08-2007, 01:24 PM
I am not eating great so I haven't lost much weight (a few pounds) but my body shape is changing and my muscles are coming back! I have lost quite a few inches thanks to the running!

glitterlicious
08-08-2007, 05:44 PM
hi everyone!!! :)

I've really enjoyed reading through everyone's posts and experiences on their
c25k journeys.

I'm currently on week 8 of the program and nearing "graduation." I've already completed the first workout of the week and I'll do the second workout tomorrow.

Then comes the 5K which I signed up for on Saturday. I'm super ready and excited...hoping to complete it in 28-30 minutes but I'll be happy just to finish the distance.

If someone had told me I could have done this before I started I would have probably laughed right in their face. But I've gained so much fitness and confidence in sticking with the program. There's been workouts that pushed me to the limits...and also ones that felt almost enjoyable. But all in all, its definetly worth it. :)

cakses
08-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Glitter, are you seriously 6'3", if so wow! Now I know how you are so fast at running - your legs are twice the length of mine! Good luck on the 5k you have this weekend, I know you'll do great.

I did the 2nd run of week 6 and OMG it was brutal. I almost quit halfway through. I haven't been in a running mood this week, but I forced myself to finish. Tomorrow I will do an easy walk and some weights and then Friday it's a 25 min run so I better have my A-game back. I need to get more sleep, I know that is part of it as well. Hopefully tonight I can get it together and make it to bed at a decent hour.

LeedaRenee
08-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Glitter, good luck on your 5k saturday, let us know how you do! I am sure you will do wonderfully.

Cakses, week 6 looks terribly brutal, Good for you for doing it even though you werent in the mood.

HeatherAngel
08-09-2007, 11:01 AM
Morning all!

Glitterlicious, I got confused - is the 5K ON Saturday, or did you sign up for one on Saturday?? Either way, good luck! I've signed up for one in October - I don't think I could do one any sooner, even though I am running more than that on the treadmill...! BTW - your avatar is looking gorgeous, girl!

Cakses - stick with it - think how great you feel (emotionally, at least) for NOT quitting part way through! That said, if you're tired, you know MY mantra - repeat 'til you're ready, repeat 'til you're ready! :yes:

Renee - keep going, chickie! We all felt daunted (and me - terrified!) when looking ahead, but you can DO IT! :D

Jude, :welcome: ! Good for you for getting started - this programme absolutely changed my life! Keep posting and telling us how you are getting on!

Have a great day all - I'm going to do some hill work today, pretty sure one day a week of THAT will be enough for me! :lol3:

alinnell
08-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Terrified at looking ahead? Is there a stronger word to use? If there is, I choose that word!!

I did D1W3 this morning. The first set was hard, all uphill ya know, but the 2nd set was pretty easy. Saturday should be a breeze.

HeatherAngel
08-09-2007, 01:40 PM
:cheer: Way to go, Allison! :cheer:

judes26
08-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Thanks you guys for your kind replies! My husband and I did W2 D1 yesterday, and on the last run I thought I was going to die!! It was really hard, but I am going to keep at it- I feel soooo great when I finish!

It is so hot here, we can't run until 7:30 at night, and even then, I feel like I can't catch my breath because of the humidity. We tried to do it in the morning, but I am not a morning person and I have a hard time getting up! :)

My eating habits have not been good, and I am worried that even though I am running, I am gaining weight- I have to get them under control!

HeatherAngel
08-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Jude - it WILL get easier, I promise you! It's nice that you and hubby can run together - I was SUCH a b!atch in the first few weeks of C25K that even the DOG stopped running with me! That's only partly a joke - !

cakses
08-09-2007, 11:29 PM
jude, i haven't changed my eating habits and i am on week 6 and the weight is FINALLY starting to come off. so it will happen just much slower than with diet. remember muscle weighs more than fat so the change in your body will make you seem like you are gaining or maintaining. i suggest getting a tape measurer as well. i have been tracking my measurements as well so i know exactly what's going on.

cakses
08-10-2007, 12:28 AM
tomorrow is my 25 min run - ACK. this week has sucked so bad running-wise, so i hope i make it through.

HeatherAngel
08-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Cakses - how did you do today? Hope you feel awesome! :hug:

glitterlicious
08-10-2007, 10:53 AM
yep...I really am 6'3". lol.

anyways I made it through workout 2 of week 8 of the c25k. I know I have a week left but I still think I can do the 5 K this Saturday. I'm really excited about it. I'm going to make a playlist today so I have some good music to keep me going on my run.

The thing I'm nervous about it starting off at too fast of a pace trying to keep up with the pack of people running then tiring myself out. So maybe if I start off my playlist with a slow, relaxing song it will help me find my own pace...i dunno.

LeedaRenee
08-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Glitter, I wonder about that too. I am so afraid that everyone else is going to be sprinting off in front of me and I will be the only one lagging behind near the start line.

Cakses, I hope the run went well!

I did week 4 day 1 today and the three minutes is easy now, I even accidentally went past it the first round and then the 5 minute round kicked my butt. I made it through the first 5 min interval, but the second was touch especially since I was going uphill. I had to cut it 30 seconds early. I think I can do the whole thing next time.

alinnell
08-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Renee~I love reading your posts--you're about 1 week ahead of me, and your details really help me see that I can make it! My path takes me uphill also, but usually only the first part. I started W3 yesterday and the first set was all uphill and I didn't think I'd make that 3 minute mark (but I did). The 2nd set was a lot easier. I'm still wondering about W5.......

paperclippy
08-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Hi everyone! Mind if I join you guys? I'm about to start c25k tonight (inspired by Allison, thanks!). I actually ran a 5k just about two years ago. I had worked up to it without a set program, and a few months after the 5k I started having knee problems. I have been jogging on and off since then but my knees have never really gotten back to 100%, so I am thinking it's probably at least somewhat because I am just jumping in and running too far without working up to it first, and that's probably what caused the problem in the first place.

So, in an effort to slow it down and really work up my tendon strength properly, I'm going to try c25k! Plus the knee exercises on the sticky thread. ;)

Anyway I was wondering what pace those of you who use a treadmill go at. I'll be doing it on the treadmill in my gym, and I am kind of clueless. I'm wondering if I should try for 4.5mph, which is a little bit of work for me but I can sustain for at least 15 mins, or 5.0mph which I usually can't go more than 6 minutes at. Would doing it with the treadmill at 5.0 for jogging help me work up to that speed? Or would it undo my effort to fix my knees?

alinnell
08-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Jessica!!!! Yay!!! You know, I did a 5k last spring, but walked 95% of it! Haha! It really isn't all that far--walking took me, DH and DS about 45 minutes. In fact DH and I used to go for a 5 mile walk every Sunday and that is a lot farther than 5k.

I thought I had knee problems, too, but so far the running hasn't caused a problem. I used to ski as a youngster and I did tear some cartilage when I was in high school. Now my knees make a gawd-awful noise if I do anything like a lunge or squat (or even climb the stairs). I really thought it would be rough on them to run, but so far (only on week 3) it isn't bothering my knees at all.

Keep us posted with your progress! Did you download the podcasts or are you doing it with a stopwatch?

LeedaRenee
08-10-2007, 08:07 PM
What is this podcast everyone keeps talking about? Is it timed with each week's plan? I download podrunner, but it's the same pace all the way through.

Jessica, I hope all goes well with your knees and a big WELCOME! :)

Allison, the area where I run is constant hills for the most part, but there is a small circle that is flat and that's where I try to stay for the most part, but every now and then I like a change of scenery and go in the hilly area, and I immediately regret it lol. But I want to be able to run all of it eventually for strength purposes.

cakses
08-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Well I made it again - I just am amazed that I don't pass out or my legs turn to mush. Finished week 6 today with a 25 minute run which was 2 miles - WOW. I know it's not super fast, as I would like to get to a 10 minute pace for the 3 miles, but 12:30 isn't that bad either!

No more intervals from here on out, so next week it's all 25 min runs, and now that I know I can do it, I am gaining back some of that excitement! Oh, and the scale moved this morning - I am 213. I am hoping by next week or so I can be out of the 210s!!!

LeedaRenee
08-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Yay cakses!! Congrats!!

MariaMaria
08-10-2007, 10:32 PM
I actually ran a 5k just about two years ago. I had worked up to it without a set program, and a few months after the 5k I started having knee problems.

Since injuries kept you out of running already maybe it's a better idea to listen to your body rather than following a strict (and very fast-paced) schedule like C25K. Unfortunately it's pretty common that the excitement of running pushes newish runners to do more mileage than they should, and within the first few months they're injured.

If it were me I'd start with 15 or 20 minutes of walk/run intervals as comfortable then increase no more than 10% a week in total time or distance, and maybe take a week every month or two without any increases, just maintaining previous time/distance.

alinnell
08-11-2007, 01:19 PM
The podcast that I use is found on www.ullrey.net. He made them several years ago and they follow the CoolRunning c25k program. The music is all techno and pretty fast paced to help keep you going. He chimes in now and then to give you encouragement, but mostly he just chimes in to say that it is time for a run, ready? Go! And then he comes back on when you go back to your walk. Usually is is the final run of the day where he comes on to say things like, only one more minute--you can do it! Kind of cheesy, but it really, really helps me.

I was thinking this morning that I've NEVER been a runner. I remember in junior high school, we had to run a mile ONCE A YEAR! My kids have to do it weekly in junior high now!! Anyway, I remember how hard it was to do that! Then in high school, I'd see people on the cross country team running and running and I thought I'd try. I don't think I could make it half way around the track! It was pitiful! But now that I'm "training" and taking it a little at a time, it seems to be working. I've now completed the 2nd day of W3.

HeatherAngel
08-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Pretty sure Glitter is doing her 5K today -how'd it go, Glit-girl?? Waiting to hear...

onthetee
08-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Hi everyone! Mind if I join you guys? I'm about to start c25k tonight (inspired by Allison, thanks!). I actually ran a 5k just about two years ago. I had worked up to it without a set program, and a few months after the 5k I started having knee problems.

Anyway I was wondering what pace those of you who use a treadmill go at. I'll be doing it on the treadmill in my gym, and I am kind of clueless. I'm wondering if I should try for 4.5mph, which is a little bit of work for me but I can sustain for at least 15 mins, or 5.0mph which I usually can't go more than 6 minutes at. Would doing it with the treadmill at 5.0 for jogging help me work up to that speed? Or would it undo my effort to fix my knees?

I go at 5.4 on the treadmill. I am faster on the street. If you want to do one of the races in Indy this fall, PM me. Are you a talker? I run best when I have a chatty cathy with me!

onthetee
08-11-2007, 09:17 PM
Unintentionally finished week six. I did the 25 minutes like it was nothing. Three days ago, I only did 15 out of guilt. 2.3 miles, so I know I will be ready for a 5K next month!

cakses
08-11-2007, 11:10 PM
woo hoo we are all doing awesome!

TxBrittany
08-12-2007, 12:49 AM
You guys are all doing so great! I just finished week 1 last week, but haven't started week 2 yet b/c I went out of town. I'm going to try to start tomorrow morning, but forgot to bring my iPod with me and am afraid I'll have a hard time with nothing to distract me!

LeedaRenee
08-12-2007, 07:43 AM
The podcast that I use is found on www.ullrey.net. He made them several years ago and they follow the CoolRunning c25k program. The music is all techno and pretty fast paced to help keep you going. He chimes in now and then to give you encouragement, but mostly he just chimes in to say that it is time for a run, ready? Go! And then he comes back on when you go back to your walk. Usually is is the final run of the day where he comes on to say things like, only one more minute--you can do it! Kind of cheesy, but it really, really helps me.

Thanks allison, I just downloaded it. I am going to try it out this morning. That will get rid of the annoying stop watch!

MariaMaria
08-12-2007, 08:14 AM
There's no need for a stopwatch even without a podcast. A running watch with a countdown timer, like this one from Timex (on sale for $15 at Campmor.com), takes care of the timing.

http://www.campmor.com/images/watches/87153.jpg (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=22220737)

LeedaRenee
08-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks Maria, I have one already. What I meant was that I hate staring at the numbers, I like having someone tell me when it's over, it takes my mine off the fact that I'm running :)

I did day 2 of week 4 this morning. It went well even with a few hills thrown in here and there.

jaxjob
08-12-2007, 10:23 AM
A running watch with an interval timer will beep when the intervals are up. You don't have to look at it. But Ct5K doesn't have regular intervals so it might not work for that. I use one and run the same intervals throughout the run.

Jax

alinnell
08-12-2007, 01:27 PM
I would have a hard time with a watch. I've been running at 4:30 AM and it's too dark to see the road, much less a watch. Besides, I also wear contacts and they bounce around a bit as I do and so things aren't as clear as I'd like. I guess you can get one to program to each week's particular interval schedule, but how loud is it? I'd be so afraid of missing a beep that I'd be constantly looking at the watch. With the podcast, you can make it as loud or as soft as you need. Besides, I like the words of encouragement--cheesy as they may be!

MariaMaria
08-12-2007, 11:18 PM
They're pretty loud. Also, they have lighted faces.

OTOH if the podcast works for you, why bother?

judes26
08-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Hi everyone! I love reading your posts, they are all so encouraging!

On Friday, my husband and I did D2 W2- I was doing really well. So well that I got cocky and decided I could do a full lap around the track. Big Mistake! The next day, my knee was feeling strange- not hurt, just strange. Then, on Sunday, we started on D3 of W2- I was fine until the last running set and I couldn't finish. Now my knee hurts! ACK!

I have never hurt my knee before! What should I do? We were thinking I should take 2 days off then try D3 of W2 again... any advice from you veterans? :)

paperclippy
08-13-2007, 12:17 PM
Hi everyone! Thanks for the welcome! I did day one on Friday going 3.8mph for walking and 4.8mph for running, I think I did okay. I started out with 4.0/5.0 but it was too hard and I didn't want to overdo it. I talked my fiance into doing it with me too, but he is much faster. I guess that's the advantage of treadmills, you can run with a companion who can go way faster than you.

Maria -- I thought c25k would be a slow-paced program since it is designed for people who are out of shape? If the distance increases are more than 10% maybe I will just add some in-between stuff . . . My knees are almost entirely better now, since I found the real secret to knee-health for myself: wear supportive sneakers all the time. If I wear sandals or heels or anything else for more than a day or so, my knees start to hurt. But as long as I wear my sneakers, everything's fine! Pretty weird. Luckily I can wear sneakers to work.

Allison - I'm using the time and distance displays on the treadmill instead of podcasts or stopwatch. I guess that's one advantage of running on a treadmill instead of outside! I didn't have any knee problems until I'd been running for about a year. I think after I made it to the three miles, I probably jumped up too fast to 4 miles, then 5 miles, plus speed training, then it was too much for me.

Onthetee -- I like to chat but at the gym I usually just plug in my iPod and blast the music. :) In the past I found that I can go farther if I have music on loud, because I can't hear my own breathing! If I hear myself breathing hard than I'll think it's tougher than it is. Of course now I'm trying for a slower pace so I don't hurt my knees so that's kind of beside the point. I don't think I'll be ready for a 5k soon though, since I'll be increasing at a pretty slow pace (plus I'm going on a honeymoon for three weeks in October!).

After Friday's workout I did some leg strengthening and my legs are still a little sore! Plan is to do W1 D2 tonight, more leg strengthining tomorrow.

RowdyBliss
08-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Hi ladies! Not new to 3FC, and not new to C25k, but new to this thread! Mind if I chime in?

I started C25k a few weeks ago... I'm repeating Week 4 this week because I don't think I did quite well enough with it last week to move on. Frankly, Week 5 has me shaking in my Sauconys! I'll plod on, though - because there's a 5k that I will be running on November 3. I might come in last at a blistering 13-mile minute pace, but I WILL do it! :lol:

Since I have started running, I have become an exercise junkie. It's very out-of-character for me, but I like it! Anyone experiencing anything similar? Do your friends think that you've lost your mind? (mine do!)

RowdyBliss
08-13-2007, 03:11 PM
OH - and paperclippy - I read something on Cool Running recently that said that strength training for your hips may alleviate knee pain.

I wish I could wear my sneaks to work. :(

alinnell
08-13-2007, 03:32 PM
I started C25k a few weeks ago... I'm repeating Week 4 this week because I don't think I did quite well enough with it last week to move on. Frankly, Week 5 has me shaking in my Sauconys! I'll plod on, though - because there's a 5k that I will be running on November 3. I might come in last at a blistering 13-mile minute pace, but I WILL do it! :lol:

I have a feeling that I'll be doing this too. I'm totally scared for week 5!

Since I have started running, I have become an exercise junkie. It's very out-of-character for me, but I like it! Anyone experiencing anything similar? Do your friends think that you've lost your mind? (mine do!)

No, no one I know thinks I've lost my mind....well, that is except for me! I've NEVER enjoyed exercising! And I've NEVER been able to run before (and I'm 44!). I actually look forward to this! Who knew?

cakses
08-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Well week 7 started out poorly. Got 5 minutes into my run and I wasn't feeling right. My left shin was sore but I figured it just needed a warm up (I had already stretched) then it hurt so bad I had to stop. I was so upset. It hurt to walk on even, although now hours later it seems okay. So I am going to try to repeat it tomorrow if it's feeling better. Big time disappointment though :(

onthetee
08-13-2007, 07:54 PM
Cakses--hang in there. Some days it comes easily and some days it is not meant to be. I downloaded the podcasts for week 7, and I was already to go. However, I get so fatigued at the beginning of TOM. I just cannot get to the gym tonight. I never lie down after dinner, but I had to tonight, even after decent sleep last night.

Plan is to hit it in the morning tomorrow before I succumb to the symptoms of blood loss. We FINALLY have a dip in humidity here, even if it is still darn hot. I may run on the road tomorrow. Crazy thought for me.

cakses
08-14-2007, 01:32 AM
I went back out this evening for a nice slow 2 mile walk with my kids and I felt better. So now I am off to stretch and do some toning while watching a movie and I am going to try again tomorrow and pray for the best!

MariaMaria
08-14-2007, 10:30 AM
Pain--in a specific weight-bearing body part--that's sharp enough to make you stop isn't just a bad day. Something's wrong. You need to figure out what the problem is.

The general rule of thumb is that when it crosses from discomfort to pain, you've got a problem that needs to be solved rather than ignored.

alinnell
08-14-2007, 12:01 PM
Day3 of Week3 is complete....On to week 4 on Thursday!

I was on my second set this morning and had it in my head that the first run of the second set was 3 minutes.....it ended and I was like "wow, that was 3 minutes?!" Then when I was more than half way through the REAL 3 minute part, it dawned on me!!! Too funny. I look forward to week 4, but I'm really, really thinking that I might do that week twice. We'll see.

paperclippy
08-14-2007, 12:08 PM
I missed my workout last night. I think I had some kind of 24-hour virus, since I feel fine now and my fiance is having the symptoms I had yesterday! Anyway I had a nasty headache and felt like crap so I lay down on the couch instead of working out. Hopefully I'll get it in tonight instead!

cakses
08-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Well, I made it to the gym today to give it another shot. I walked 2 miles last night nice and slow to see if I still had any pain and there was a slight tug when I had to chase after my son. So I stretched a ton last night, got some good sleep and then this morning I ate a bigger breakfast and got to the gym and actually did a long 10 minute stretch this time, then got on the treadmill hoping for the best. At 5 minutes it felt funny again, and I was just about to stop when there was almost this release of pain and I actually said "ahhh" as in a soothing ahh out load and the run was great! It was a struggle after 15 minutes - I was just tired but I made it! So I feel a million times better and now I am just going to have to stretch a lot more and maybe do some easy walks at night so things don't get knotted up again!

alinnell
08-16-2007, 07:01 PM
I completed day 1 of week 4 today. I really didn't think I'd ever be able to run a total of five minutes at a time. Wow. I not only did it, but I did it twice! Amazing! Now I'm starting to think week 5 will be possible after all!

Meanwhile, we had a little scare with our dogs this morning. After a visit to the vet one is okay (my running buddy) and one is hopefully going to be okay (our old dog who is 13-14 years old). He has something called vestibular disease which apparently makes him very dizzy and it makes him throw up and not eat and not be able to walk very good. Poor old guy. At one point, we thought the dogs had been poisoned. Whatever Chico was doing that made me think he was sick, too, must have either been sympathetic symptoms (to Bud) or just my imagination gone wild.

cakses
08-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Did day 2 of week 7 today. Finishing the week tomorrow. So far so good, I even picked up the running for the last two minutes to a 5.6 and I didn't fall off the treadmill - LOL. I think I might try speeding up tomorrow or Monday to get closer to the 2.5-2.75 I am supposed to be doing. Right now I am just going on time.

LeedaRenee
08-16-2007, 07:49 PM
Allison, sorry about your dog. Poor guy! Congrats on going 5 minutes though!

I did day 1 of week 5 and it was way better than I thought. I would almost use the word easy if I weren't afraid of day 2 kicking my butt :)

alinnell
08-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Allison, sorry about your dog. Poor guy! Congrats on going 5 minutes though!

I did day 1 of week 5 and it was way better than I thought. I would almost use the word easy if I weren't afraid of day 2 kicking my butt :)

Thanks! I'm sure you'll do great on day 2 of week 5. And I'll say a prayer for you when you do day 3--that one looks like a killer (and that's the one I'm really scared about).

cakses
08-17-2007, 06:54 PM
Finished wek 7 today. Phew, it's hard to run two days in a row! Hoping next week is easier on my knees!

alinnell
08-18-2007, 12:11 PM
I just got back from D2W4. It's hard. I'm still wondering how I'll fare on W5. My mind seems to want to sabotage me with thoughts of "I'll just stop now" or "I'll skip this part." I only got a slight side stitch on the second 5 minute run today, so I know my body is capable. I just have to convince myself.

LeedaRenee
08-18-2007, 01:44 PM
You are SO capable! I think my third day of week 4 went badly and I wondered if I should go on to week 5, but I did and I'm doing well. I did day 2 of week 5 and I was so surprised at how fast the 8 minutes went. My calves weren't even protesting as much as they usually do. The next day is the real test!

onthetee
08-18-2007, 07:06 PM
I have not been around much because I have been very bad. We had an not-so-great week at our house. I probably should have been exercising 2 hours a day to manage the stress, but in addition to the craziness, we were booked solid and the baby just won't stay in the gym play area. I can't run when I know my baby is crying.

However, today I went out and did the 25 minute run off of the Robert Ullrey site. I could use more Robert popping in for encouragement. Anyway, I walked for about a minute out of the 25. Mostly from dry mouth and not having water with me. I was, GASP, on the road since it was cool out today.

Back on track. I plan to do 25 again Monday and the 28 on Wednesday. I probably will do 20 on the off days.

LeedaRenee
08-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Onthetree that is great! How old is your baby? I have a rugrat too, he will be a year old next month (on labor day). Running or walking is about the only exercise I can get in with him around, and that's because he's in the stroller :)

My 20 minute run is tomorrow and I'm scared to death. I will just have to remember to take it slow. I will do a happy dance out of this world if I can make it without stopping.

bethel
08-19-2007, 08:30 PM
Hi, all,

I'm thinking of starting the c25k - I've never been a runner, but want to "change up" my workout routine and this looks like a great challenge!

One question: I don't have easy access to an outdoor or indoor track, but I do have a treadmill at home. Is it possible to do the program on the treadmill? If so, what sppeds should I use for the "brisk walk" and the jogging/running?

Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated! :)

LeedaRenee
08-19-2007, 10:36 PM
Hi bethel...I am not at all an expert and I'm sure the others can give you loads better advice, but I think a treadmill is just fine. As for the speed, I think whatever is "brisk" for you is what you should set the treadmill to. I'm alwasy seeing on here that speed is not important, so I think catering it to your level is the key. Good luck and it's a wonderful program, I'm running longer than I ever thought possible and hopefully will go even farther!

teacher1
08-20-2007, 09:04 AM
Hi everyone,
I just did D1W1 and wow I feel great. I'm so proud of myself for getting out of bed and just doing it!
Bethel,
I'm running on a treadmill. I did my brisk walk at 3.2 and my jog at 5. But I'm really out of shape so I looking forward to other replies.

LeedaRenee
08-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Congrats teacher, it only gets better!

I did week 5 day 3 and it was pretty tough. I stopped 10 minutes in to grab a drink of water (maybe 30 seconds) and the rest of the run was very slow, but darn it, I was jogging. For some reason my stroller wheels have started squeaking like crazy, and people hear me coming from a mile away. I will have to get some WD40.

alinnell
08-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Welcome newbies!!!

I'm not a runner, either--never have been, even as a child, and I'm doing fine. I run on the streets in my neighborhood (with my dog). I don't have a treadmill, but there are several who do use the treadmill for the program.

Renee~Congrats on making it through D3W5!!!!! That's awesome (and who cares how fast you were going!).

cakses
08-20-2007, 06:50 PM
I bombed another Monday, my legs and back were killing me. Got some icy hot and a heating pad for tonight and going to try again tomorrow. This happened last week as well. I think two days off in a row (I walk on those days but no running) is hurting me and causing injury. I need to figure something out for Sat and Sun so I don't keep having this problem.

HeatherAngel
08-20-2007, 11:22 PM
Cakses - that sounds PAINFUL! I guess I'm the opposite - I think I pushed myself too far and had to take two days off! Hope the icy hot and heating pad helps - maybe take tomorrow off and try again Wednesday?

Thinking of you - :hug:
Heather

alinnell
08-21-2007, 12:44 PM
I take 2 days off, too--Sunday and Monday and only walk on Sunday (and it's a leisurely 4 mile walk). I always think I ought to change things up so I don't have an extra rest day, but then it would mean some weeks I'd have to get up early 3 days instead of two....So far, the extra day has not cause me any problems.

I completed week 4 this morning. Feels good. And my weight is down half a pound since yesterday--a total of 2.5 pounds since I started this 4 weeks ago. The weird thing is that my pants feel tight today--these are the ones that used to be loose in the waist. I don't know what's up with that. I hope it's water retention due to TOM. If that's the case, I can look forward to dropping another pound soon, right?

cakses
08-21-2007, 07:18 PM
UGH tried to run again today, this time outside and 10 minutes and I died. It's like I am on week 1 again. Awful...

Maybe I need to take a few days off of running and try week 8 again? I am scared that if I take too many days off I am going to get out of shape. What the heck should I do?

HeatherAngel
08-21-2007, 07:21 PM
Listen to your body, cakses!!! Take two days off - and be kind to yourself. You need to recover... two days will NOT make you 'out of shape' :hug:

This is my mantra: Listen To Your Body. :D

Heather

onthetee
08-21-2007, 10:55 PM
I did day two of week 7. Movin'g right along.

Cakses--take a break! Do week three or four and then come back when you are ready.

cakses
08-21-2007, 11:37 PM
Yeah I am thinking my body is aying GIVE ME A BREAK hahah!!

Tomorrow is my first horseback riding lesson in 7 years. I am guessing I won't be able to walk let alone run for a few days! So I guess I will take a little break and just do some easy walking to get in my 30 minutes a day. Next week I will give it a shot and just see where I end up. Maybe I just need to go back a few weeks and re-do it. Just seems like such a disappointment since I had made it this far w/o incident.

teacher1
08-22-2007, 08:57 AM
Good moring everyone,
I just did D2W1 and boy it was a struggle. I just didn't want to get out of bed. I think posting my progress will help me keep with it.

onthetee
08-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Good moring everyone,
I just did D2W1 and boy it was a struggle. I just didn't want to get out of bed. I think posting my progress will help me keep with it.

We will keep an eye out for you. Keep posting.

I will say that I think the first three weeks were the worst. I was not really starting from the couch either. I was doing 4 miles of walking or 40 minutes on the elliptical most days. But starting to run was horribly difficult. It didn't help that I was pushing stroller. After I ditched that, it helped.

I promise that week 7 is much easier than the first three. I start week 8 this weekend, and I am willing to bet that it is not as hard as week one was for me.

paperclippy
08-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Hi everyone! I kind of fell off track thanks to out of town guests being here for the week. Since I couldn't take off work to spend time with them, the gym time got sacrificed instead. Anyway they're leaving Thursday so I'm hoping to get in some workouts Thursday and Friday. My plan of the moment is to just sort of start over again -- I had done two days of week 1, but I think I ought to just do them again, and maybe start week 2 next Monday.

onthetee
08-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Welcome back, Jessica.

Are you running outside? I hope not. It is too freakin' humid here for that.

eusebius
08-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Hi everyone,

May I join you? I think this is my 3rd or 4th time doing C25K ... can't remember which. This time I made it to the end of week 7 and then got sick :( Today I managed 2 miles on the mill and I hope to repeat week 7 next week. In the past I have done several races and I hope to get back to that form soon!
cheers
Erika

Eves
08-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Hey everyone! Like Erika I am back. I wanted to get myself back up to a decent place before I started posting again. Tomorrow is D1W3, just around where I was when I stopped running.

I'm not sure I am going to try it out really, I'm not sure if I can run for 3 minutes straight. We'll see.

Onthetee - I really do hope that by the time I'm in week 7 I'll be able to say that it was easier than the first three weeks!

alinnell
08-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Good moring everyone,

Week 1 was the worst for me! I did it for 4 days and now in looking back, I wish I had stuck with just 3 days. Week 2 was much easier for me. I'm about to go onto to week 5, which is going to be very hard, but I think I can do it.

eusebius~Welcome! Please join us!

cakses~take a break! Hopefully a day or two is all your body needs. Have fun horseback riding!

Jessica~if I were you, I'd do just one more day of week 1 and then go onto week 2. You're not out of shape, so there shouldn't be any reason to start all over at this point.

tomorrow I do D1W5. Wish me luck! By the way, I'm starting to see weight results!!!!

practiceliving
08-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Hi all - glad to see an active thread about this.

I'm planning on starting Ct5K on Monday morning (eek!), when I will hopefully be over this stupid summer cold! I'm verrry nervous, but reading this and seeing you all doing it is sooo encouraging!

teacher1
08-22-2007, 07:15 PM
alinnell and onthetee,
Thanks for all the support for Week 1. I thought I was being a big baby about the whole thing. Now I can look forward to Week 2 :)

onthetee
08-22-2007, 08:57 PM
alinnell and onthetee,
Thanks for all the support for Week 1. I thought I was being a big baby about the whole thing. Now I can look forward to Week 2 :)

You can be a big baby. You can whine and moan and complain, and you will never EVER come close to being as whiny as I have been through this thing. ;)

alinnell
08-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Day 1 of week 5 is complete! It was a lot easier than I thought and I really look forward to day 2 (two 8 minute runs). I actually felt after each 5 minute segment that I could continue on (and in fact, after the third one, I did keep going for another 30-45 seconds--it was all downhill!) I'm still leery about day 3.

HeatherAngel
08-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Allison, I remember week five REALLY well - and I remember pushing myself because two sets of 8 minutes seemed easier than THREE sets of five! :lol:

Enjoy!

LeedaRenee
08-23-2007, 05:02 PM
I did day 1 of week 6 yesterday and it went very well. I actually went a track this time that was .5 miles long so I was able to see how far I was going. I went 2.3 miles during the whole thing, so a little slow, but not bad.

Allison, I know you will do great on day3 !

marianne, it is challenging, but totally doable, keep posting here to let us know how you're doing.

teacher, way to go on completing week 1. I know how proud of myself I felt after it was done.

practiceliving
08-23-2007, 05:34 PM
Thanks, Leeda - it's helping to read through these posts and see y'all doing it and toughing out the harder parts.

Does anyone use the Ullreys podcasts? What kind of music is on them?

LeedaRenee
08-23-2007, 05:36 PM
I use them and love them! I wish I had used them from the beginning , they make it go so much faster. It's mostly like techno/remix music. I might do my own mix once I'm out of the intervals, but it was a lifesaver.

Eves
08-23-2007, 06:26 PM
D1W3 Done! Whew! I didn't think I could jump from 90 seconds to 3 minutes, but I did it.

I took some extra time stretching because it was my muscles that felt tired, I wasn't really out of breath. Can't wait for Day 2!

alinnell
08-23-2007, 06:46 PM
Yay Archy!!! When did you get back from Peru? Any more good stories to tell?

I love Ullrey's podcasts. They are the only reason I decided to try this c25k thing. I knew I couldn't rely on my estimation of time or distance to do it alone. I suppose I could have gotten a good stopwatch, but I doubt it would have been enough motivation.

paperclippy
08-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Are you running outside? I hope not. It is too freakin' humid here for that.

No, I run on a treadmill at my gym. Definitely too humid for outside!

Allison, I'm taking your advice about going to week two. We did D3W1 last night and it was really easy and comfortable, I even threw in an extra interval to get more of a workout and bumped up my "run" speed from 4.7 to 4.8mph. Tonight I'll try D1W2 and see how it goes.

I think I'm going to go buy some new running shoes this weekend. My very first pair that I bought a few years ago was Brooks Addiction 6, which I loved, but when they started getting worn out the arch supports gave me blisters on the bottom of my feet. I replaced them with the Saucony Hurricane 7, which felt good for a while but didn't have as much support as my old shoes. The past few weeks I pulled the old worn-out Brooks shoes out of the closet and have been wearing them, but they are terribly worn-out (and have a big hole over my toe!!). At first I thought fine, I'll just buy a new pair of the same Brooks style, but they don't make it anymore! So I'm going to find a local running store and see what they have.

alinnell
08-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Jessica~you'll do great on week 2. I swear, each week seems easier than the last!

I had such trepidations about week 5 (where I am now) that I honestly thought that if I succeeded in doing week 5, that I would just stay there. While I haven't finished W5 yet, I think I am prepared to move on. I am still mulling over the decision to go onto D3 of W5 from here. I just finished D2 (two 8 minute intervals). The first interval was HARD! Maybe it's my route--it's all uphill. The second interval was much easier (downhill--duh!). But I still have doubts about running a straight 20 minutes already. We'll see how it goes. If I don't feel up to it, I'll repeat D2 once (Tuesday) and do D3 on Thursday.

I do have to admit I have absolutely no idea as to my pace. While running uphill, I know I'm a lot slower than when I go downhill, and I know my route is over 2 miles, but I don't know my speed. Those of you who use a treadmill and up the speed to what cool running suggests may be getting a better workout that I am. But at least I'm out there doing it!!

MariaMaria
08-25-2007, 11:55 AM
Actually, you're getting the better workout. When you use a treadmill, the treadmill does some of the work.

Don't worry about speed. It will come later, and it's never a good idea to be increasing distance and speed at the same time.

(PS, if you need to hang out at 8-minute intervals for a week or two or if you need to increase from 8 to 20 in steps rather than all at once, that's okay. C25K is odd [and I think irresponsible, but that's just my opinion.] in increasing the intervals that quickly. The reason most new runners fail is injury, and by far the most common reason for new runner injury is too much/too far, too soon.)

LeedaRenee
08-25-2007, 12:04 PM
Allison, I know you can do it. If I can, anyone can!

DH was up early this morning and watched the baby for me. Taking advantage of this opportunity, I decided to go running and do 25 minutes, or day 3 of week 6. It went SO well. I LOVE jogging without a stroller. I felt so free. I was a little unprepared, I had no pockets to put my keys in and nothing to hold my ipod. I just stood there for a minute with both in hand, wondering what to do, and then I stuffed them both in my bra lol. It’s SO much easier without the stroller.

I reached 20 minutes when I hit a rock in the road and fell on my foot the wrong way. It didn’t really hurt, but I figured I’d better stop. But I could’ve easily gone the next 5 minutes. It’s a good thing I did stop because my foot is sore now. No more running for at least the next 2 days. I think I will do a little yoga. I’ve got my foot in some ice right now…there’s no swelling yet, just soreness.

Stupid rock.

cakses
08-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Congrats to all you wonderful new runners - it sounds like everyone is doing well! Renee I hope your injury heals quickly - be careful!

I am still nursing an injury in my leg, but today I am going to venture out a bit more and do some walking with my kiddos. Nothing too quick but enough to stretch out my muscles and see the extent of the injury. If it's still bad, I will be making a doctor's appointment.

Also, I found a gently used treadmill - this one in fact http://www.proform.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product2_13402_10351_29269_-1_21663 and it is being delivered from the seller either today or tomorrow! I found it on craigslist for $300 and although that's a bit for me it's worth a lot more and it's barely used. God bless PayPal rofl.

On Monday I am going to just start running and see how far I get then I will pick whatever week in C25K that it's close to and start from there. I'm secretly hoping I can make it 30 minutes and be at week 9 where I am supposed to be, but I understand that my body might have different ideas. I am excited to get back into it though. I just hope my legs feel the same way!

Have a great weekend everyone, happy running!!!

teacher1
08-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Leeda- Feel better!
I'm done with week 1. I plan on doing the C25K program on Mon, Wed, and Fri and some weights/turbo jam on the other days. What does everyone else do on the off days during the C25K program?

HeatherAngel
08-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Yay cakses! What a bargain!!

Teacher - I do strength training most days that I don't run, but I almost always have a day off from everything once a week :D

LeedaRenee
08-26-2007, 10:10 AM
Well, my ankle is sprained ladies, so no more C25K for me for the next couple of weeks or so. :(

alinnell
08-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Renee~I'm so sorry to hear about your ankle! Take care and mend quickly. Thankfully it is only a sprain, though. I got a call yesterday from my Mom. My sister fell on Friday and broke her ankle and has to have surgery tomorrow. Ouch.

cakses
08-27-2007, 03:25 AM
OK idiots on craigslist. Can *anyone* just sell me something w/o excuses and bulls***???? AHHHH....

Talked to hubby, God bless him. Told me to go to the fancy fitness shop that's about an hour away and get a good treadmill. So tomorrow I will be banging down their door at 10am when they open. They do deliveries once a week on Wednesdays and I want to try to get it there this week!

I am going to be so broke paying my credit card bill, but skinny and broke. And to add to thegood news, my ankle and shin are starting to feel better. I can't wait to run again!!!

LeedaRenee
08-27-2007, 08:28 AM
cakses, I am so happy you are feeling better and good luck with the treadmill!

HeatherAngel
08-27-2007, 10:54 AM
Leeda - look after that ankle :hug: - don't run again too soon!

Cakses - what happened with the other treadmill???

Heather

LeedaRenee
08-27-2007, 11:04 AM
Heather, I wont be running again until I am 100 percent certain I am healed. I am going to live vicariously through you ladies while I am healing up.

cakses
08-27-2007, 12:02 PM
The stupid (two) craigslist people disappeared on me. I don't get it why people list things they want to sell, then call or email saying yes let's meet then fall off the face of the earth. This has happened to me when I tried to sell stuff too. It's annoying!

I'm going this morning to the fitness shop to try out a bunch of treadmills. At least this way I will have a warranty and a free year of service. Wish me luck, my leg is feeling funny again, bah!

practiceliving
08-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Well everyone, I went out and tried Week 1, Day 1 today. WOW. I listened to the Ullreys podcast, which helped a TON because I wasn't watching the clock. Unfortunately, I only did the first 5 intervals, then walked the remaining time; I'm still congested from last week's cold, and my asthma was flaring up big time. I expect I'll end up doing Week 1 twice, but hey - I still TRIED today, and I am sooo proud of myself for that.

LeedaRenee - ouch!! Hope you heal up quickly. Sprained ankles are no fun.

Cakses - good luck with the treadmill shopping!

jaxjob
08-27-2007, 01:44 PM
Way to go Marianne! It's nice not to watch the clock - I know if I run on a treadmill I have to cover the display with a towel as it goes soooooo slowly otherwise! You'll be doing it all in no time. That's the beauty of running! If you need to take two weeks of Week 1, go ahead. Especially if you've been sick, as you have.

Leeda - take care of that ankle. I twisted mine recently, tripping over the new puppy, but it's better now. It took me a couple of weeks but it wasn't a bad injury. I could walk on it the next day but took it easy.

Cat - check out the treadmill doctor website - they have reviews on lots of treadmills and in all price ranges. I found it helpful when I got mine.

teacher1 - I do Jari Love's "Get Ripped!" DVD's on non-running days. Sometimes I use the exercise bike in the basement. Once the boys are in school I may bike outside too.

I've been slack on running recently, not wanting to get up at 5 am anymore after getting up with the puppy at night. Next week all the boys will be in school and I plan on running in the mornings after they're gone. Woo hoo.

alinnell
08-27-2007, 03:15 PM
I'm still at a standstill wondering if I should continue onto D3W5 or stick with D2W5. I guess tomorrow morning at the end of 8 minutes, I'll know what the answer will be! I wish I had a different running route that wasn't all uphill for the first half. Once I get to the longer runs, it will be uphill for the first mile or so, then a steep downhill followed by a moderately flat downhill and then another uphill climb before I head downhill toward home. I guess it's better to get the uphill done and over with at the beginning, though.

cakses
08-27-2007, 06:44 PM
http://www.visionfitness.com/home/treadmills/prod.php?id=8

Here is the treadmill I bought. I got the one with the ortho belt since I seem to be having leg issues. It felt really nice when I took a jog on it in the store. My SIL has the same one and swears by it and it has a nice warranty just in case my large butt breaks it in the beginning.

My leg started to act up just while trying out the treadmills, so I am off to make a doctor's appointment. I actually went into the clinic to see if I could make a same day appointment, but the military is dumb and you have to call the 800 number and get an appointment. Sort of teed off about that! Hopefully I can get seen in the next few days though and figure out what I did to myself and if there is some sort of wrap or brace I can wear to help!

teacher1
08-27-2007, 10:18 PM
I feel silly asking this but where do I download the Ullrey podcasts? I have a ipod nano so I went to the itune store and could only find week 9 to download. I did a search on the site but only found week 9. Can anyone explain this to me? I only download songs so the podcast is a little confusing to me. Thanks!

jaxjob
08-27-2007, 10:47 PM
All the Ullrey podcasts are on itunes. They are listed under "Podcasts for Running" artist:Robert Ullrey but if you put "couch to 5k" in the itunes store search this will come up. That's how I found them. I'm not sure how you only got week 9 - but it is listed first, so maybe there's more?

HTH

Jax

teacher1
08-28-2007, 12:11 AM
Thanks Jax! I finally got all the weeks on my ipod. :)

LeedaRenee
08-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Cakses, nice treadmill! I am so jealous! We can't really afford one right now, but I'd like to have one one day. I hope you love it. :)

alinnell
08-28-2007, 12:11 PM
Aaarggghhhh!!! I didn't quite get my run in correctly today! I think my mind sabotaged my efforts. I was thinking to myself that I'd run the 8 minutes (D2W5) and then DECIDE if I thought I could do the whole 20 (D3W5). Well, I managed only 6 minutes....walked 2 minutes.....ran 2 minutes.....walked 1 minute and then ran 12-13 minutes (more or less--I don't have a stopwatch, so I was gauging it on the podcast). I think that Thursday I'll continue and do D2 again and do D3 on Saturday. My legs were jelly-like after the 12-13 minutes, so I wonder what I'll be like after 20!

paperclippy
08-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Hi everyone! I did D1W2 on Friday and it went fine. I had bumped my run speed up to 4.8mph on D3W1 but had to put it back to 4.7 by the last couple intervals. Today I'm doing D2W2, hopefully it will go okay!

cakses
08-29-2007, 09:56 PM
I'm back. Doctor says it's just a really sore muscle and to start up slowly again and gave me some 800mg Motrins to ake a few times a day for the pain and voila it was a miracle it didn't hurt (as bad). But man oh man, I took 10 days off and I am so out of shape!

So back to week 5 of C25K. I did Day 1 today and I am just going to work up from there, no stressing over it. I'd rather start slow and not get hurt than try to push that 30 minutes. I am content. And oh by the way I LOVE MY TREADMILL. Look for me to be kicking some major butt in September in the Walk/Run challenge!

onthetee
08-29-2007, 10:41 PM
Cakses--what great news! I am so glad it was easily fixed and that you are able to resume.

After kicking buns last weekend, I tried d2w8 yesterday, and it was just not there. We are having a big cool down here, so the next 5 days are supposed to be lovely. I plan to get out to run as much as I can instead of going to the gym.

I have noticed that when I am at the gym, I tend to do better. I know that no one there cares what I do, but I don't want to look like a weiny, so I keep it up better. No taking 30-second walk breaks, ya know?

alinnell
08-30-2007, 12:12 PM
What a run today! My old dog woke me up 10 minutes early--he was stressing out (he doesn't like thunder and lightening). So I get up and wonder to myself, what kind of run will this be with the weather? I knew it would be hot, the low was supposed to get down to 86, but with cloud cover, it may be hotter and now with clouds, what kind of humidity will I encounter?

I got ready, got the young dog ready, we stepped out into a sauna! OMG, it was so hot and sticky. I started on my warmup walk and within 2 houses, it was raining. The dog kept looking at me like, "why are you doing this to me?' I decided to press on. I managed to D2W5 with no difficulty, however, due to the extreme heat and humidity, my run was much slower than usual.

I'm starting to think that having a 2 day break from running is not a good thing. I was running Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday (repeating weekly) and now I'm thinking I should do Tues, Thurs, Sat, Mon, Wed, Fri (repeat). We'll see how it goes next week--school starts and I may need to get up earlier to get everything done before I have to take DS to school and get off to work. Right now, if I'm late to work it's no big deal, but I wouldn't want DS to be late for school.

Anyway, when I got back home from my run, I checked the temperature. It was 90 degrees. With 100% humidity (it's called rain). Usually during my run, I'll hit pockets of cooler air here and there. Not today--instead I got pockets of hotter air. And Saturday is supposed to be hotter! YUCK!

cakses~glad to hear you're okay. Take it easy so you don't re-injure yourself.

onthetee~I often wonder how I would fare on a treadmill--especially in front of strangers! When I run outside, I have to pass by a couple guard shacks for gated communities--I always try to look my best then! LOL

cakses
09-01-2007, 05:30 AM
I am sort of in the middle of week 5. Seeing how I feel when I run and sort of just judging it from there. I did 1 mile straight today for the first time in 2 weeks and although I was winded I did pretty good. It was outdoors on non-flat ground with my SIL and she says I have come a long way from 10 weeks ago when she was here. She pushed me hard at the end and we took it up to an 8 minute pace and I thought I was going to die but at least I know what that feels like now!

Monday I will re-start week 5 or 6 depending on how my leg feels and take it from there.

alinnell
09-01-2007, 12:21 PM
OMG what a horrible run I had today. It all started at 3 PM yesterday when the power went out. At 6 PM, we were still without power so DH, DS and I headed out to dinner and a movie. We had a nice, long dinner (two glasses of wine! and probably more food than I needed, but it was good). Then we went to see the Bourne movie. We got home around 10 PM. Still now power. Y'all know we live in the desert, right? 106 degrees outside, 85 inside. You know how hard it is to sleep in 85 degrees with no air moving around you? It's not like we could open the windows--that would have made it hotter! So I got up at 6:15, which is plenty early for a good run, but there was NO WAY I was going to run in 90 degree heat knowing that I'd come home to a hot house! Well, finally the electricity came back on at 7 AM, so I motivated. Right. Not a good idea. The sun was up, the bugs were out (despite my spraying myself with bug spray). Even Chico was bothered by flies. Well, I didn't even make the first 8 minutes of D2W5 (and I was supposed to do D3). I think my run went something like this w5, r6, w2, r2, w2, r2, w3, r3, w5. I was drenched and not feeling so good.

But I think I may have a plan........since it is so hot here, and I seem to be unable to do that 20 minute run, I am going to EITHER stay on D2W5 for a couple of weeks until it starts to cool down OR move onto W6 and see how I do on the first 2 days of that week. I'll think about it over the next couple of days.