Support Groups - Movin' & Losin' #20 - Time for a challenge in August

Shad
08-01-2007, 11:19 PM
We've been on the old thread for ages. It really is time to move and lose in a new way.
So lets get on with it.

1day@atime
08-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Good Morning Ladies,

Shad - thanks for the new threads. Your right, let's start this month off new. How's it going in Perth? Have you been able to workout with your DVD's? Wish I could send some summer heat your way..

Nita - how are you doing?

As for me. This week I worked out 4 days. We kinda of went back to the basics of steps and using hand weights, and boy was that hard. Seems like when we use the machines or as least me, I don't put as much effort in as I should. I hadn't increase the weight I was lifting and it was easy. Plus there are 3 of us and when we switch to machines, I and another girl tend to talk or stall more and my heart rate drops. I'm going to try really hard and focus on that. When we used the steps and hand weights, it seems like we're going backwards, but i know where not. I left fridays workout in a big sweat. My food is not going as great as it should. I did really good for 4 days then yesterday I ate fast food and not the best choice. Drinking my water has become hard too.

Shad
08-04-2007, 06:14 PM
Drinking water is hard, especially when it is cool. However you can always try putting a little lemon or lime juice in it or even orange. Or sometimes a herbal tea will hit the spot quite nicely. Gotta be ways of moving around it.

I tried on of my new dvds last Thursday. Didn't like it much. But I'm taking my other ones back with me this weekend so I should get some more workouts in. I've done five this week so I'm happy with that. Food has not been that great, but I'm taking the CSIRO Diet cookbook back with me so I should be back on the straight and narrow again next week.

It's hard when you go to the gym and do weights on machines. I make an effort to up the weights once a month. Always got to challenge yourself or nothing much happens and as you found out Patty, you are not putting in the effort to get results back. Step is always difficult. I have trouble with that one - seems like I have no co-ordination or something.

Summer will come soon enough and then we will be whingeing about the heat!!! No pleasing some of us! :rofl:

Better go and finish packing the gear. Back to Perth tonight.

Nita, how is the challenge going.

1day@atime
08-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Hello Ladies,

Shad - I tried the lemon and it helped some. I do better when I put the crystal light, but I"m trying not to get hooked on that. I just need to focus on drinking water... that's it. We don't do much dancing with the step, it more of a up and down or we straddle it and go up and down...I think I will try to log what I'm doing on the machines and then up them.

Went grocery shopping this evening, so there is no excuse for not bringing my lunch to work this week.

Nita - how are you doing?

how's everyone else doing?
Hal, I know your off time is running out. School will be starting soon.
Mooz, Cat, Thin - are you all doing ok? Would love to hear from you...

Shad
08-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Still exercising and now back to eating right or more or less right. I'll get through this challenge if it kills me. I did the yoga tape last night and that nearly had me dead on the floor. Tonight (since I didn't want to get out of bed this morning) I'll do the biggest loser tape. I should go for a run, but it is just too awful out there to run, besides which the paths are becoming slippery with the leaves no one has managed to sweep up yet.

Well better go panic over this bl**dy job a bit more. So much to do, so little time. So few decisions made over ANYTHING

Shad
08-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Weighed this morning. I started this challenge at 75.7 and today I am at 75.5. Considering that I was at 76.3 at one point this week, I haven't done too badly. Hope the downward trend will continue.

Still exercising 3 days this week so far. The food slipped a bit yesterday because the team went out to lunch. Obviously the salt has kicked in because today I am up .3 from yesterday. Today is a whole new day and I will endeavour to keep within the guidelines.

Catch you all later.

1day@atime
08-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Hello Ladies,

Shad - I can totally understand the going out to eat with co-workers. I bring my lunch, but the temptation is so great. And I have lots of friends that I don't work with, so I want to catch up on their lives.. (Over food of course).. There are so many choices to chose from. I work in downtown area and food courts are everywhere. I have no problem with the exercise cause i'm doing that in the morning and there's no excuse not too.

Nita - hope your doing ok..

1day@atime
08-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Good Morning Ladies,

We hit the 100degree mark and boy is it HOT! Luckily I get to work indoors so I don't notice it as much. As I was running around yesterday, grocery store, home depot etc. I realized how much better I felt with the heat. I guess what I mean to say, is last year I was 14 pounds heavier and the heat took more of a toll on me. This year I can handle it better..

We'll I finally moved the treadmill that has been sitting in the corner of the dining area into my bedroom. I didn't want to set up the treadmill in the living room cause I had gotten new wood floors back in June and didn't want to scratch them (i know I could of put a rug down, or mat, but was that my way of not having to exercise?) Anyway, I took my door off, so the treadmill could fit through the door. Now I'm really ready to up my challenge. Still having a hard time with the water, but working on it.

Shad - how are you doing?

Shad
08-12-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm going up and down like a yoyo. At this rate I'll be lucky if I end up with the same weight as I started. Don't quite know what is going wrong here. I'm exercising every day - 5 days a week on structured stuff - and walking a lot over the weekends. Food is not bad, but I think I'm having too much salt AGAIN. Water is down a bit no, not a bit a LOT and I should do something about that, but I am drinking lots of tea. I hope I have something more positive to report tomorrow.

1day@atime
08-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Hello Ladies,

Shad - Salt will get me everytime. I know if I eat chips, pickles, or anything salty my weight goes up. Actually I feel it in my hands. Doesn't matter how much I drink water.
Keep up the workouts 5 days that is great.....

Shad
08-14-2007, 07:33 PM
Back to 75.5 this morning. I must drink the water, I must drink the water, I must drink the water. A handful of Twisties can't cause a weight gain of 200g!!!

We had a fire drill the other day and had to walk down 17 flights of stairs to get to the ground. I had a good loss that day I can tell you, however I didn't get much work done. Since the fire drill, my calf muscles have been aching. It actually hurt to get out of bed this morning. Once I got moving it is fine. But I guess I will now have to work out tonight since I didn't do it this morning.

Patty, looks like just you and me at the moment. Hope you are doing well. Its the 15th Aug here today, which means we are halfway through the challenge. A long way to go to get to my goal. Still I will keep trying.

1day@atime
08-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Shad - Yikes - Halfway through our challenge. I had better get going. I am doing good on my exercise but not on my food. OH, I can feel your pain, I have had to do that before. Now drink that water...:cheer2:

Shad
08-19-2007, 10:49 PM
11 days to go and I'm no further ahead at all. We might just have to do it all again for September. Don't really understand why I'm just bouncing up and down and up and down. Might have to try something new again to see if I can kick start the weight loss again.

1day@atime
08-21-2007, 09:23 PM
Shad - I'm in the same situation too. I'm getting my workouts in, but I just can't get control of my food. I don't know what it is...

1day@atime
08-25-2007, 10:10 AM
Good Morning Ladies -

Still no move on the scale, but getting my workouts in. Today I"m going to de-junk my kitchen as Mooz to use say. I have chips, candy and other high calorie foods that I shouldn't be buying. Oh, that's why the scale doesn't seem to move.

Going to the grocery store after this morning's workout and buying more fruits, veggies, yogurt etc.

Shad - how are you doing?

Nita, Hal, Mooz, Cat - where are you all?

Shad
08-26-2007, 09:55 PM
I'm down about .7kg or about a 1.5lb I guess. It was much more than that but I seem to sabotage at weekends. I'm still trucking along. Doing much better with my water now. At least that's something I suppose.

Shad
08-29-2007, 04:04 AM
Tomorrow will be my weigh in and measure for the end of this challenge. I am going home to Brisbane tomorrow night for a long weekend of family and friends.
So I will report in tomorrow on results or lack thereof........

Be seeing you. Howya going Patty?

1day@atime
08-29-2007, 10:40 PM
Hello Shad -

Same story, different day. I do great on my workouts, but not on my food. The past few weeks I was doing ok during the week and then the weekend come and I would sabbatoge all my hard work. We'll this week I"m just eating whatever comes my way.

I have got to get control of my EATING...

Shad
08-29-2007, 11:16 PM
Okay, I originally started this challenge to lose 2kg. I was 75.7. The scale this morning showed 74.6 which is 1.1kg less than I was previously. So a bit of a victory but not achievement of goal. I'll try again next month for the same goal of 2.kg.
Forgot to take my measurements. I'll do that tonight.
How about you Patty?

1day@atime
08-31-2007, 11:54 AM
Hello Ladies,

Shad - Even though you didn't meet your goal, your 1.1kg is good. Let's consider this month a warm-up and let's both meet next month's goal.

As for me, I was exactly the same, no gain, no loss. I know my eating is what is keeping me from losing, the workouts are great. Speaking of workouts, come this 9/4/07 will be 1 year of working out consistently. From Sept to May I worked out 3 days a week, sometimes 4, but not many of those. Then in June I started 4 days a week. I only missed 1 week of workouts and that was due to vacation and even then 2 of those days we hiked and did alot of walking. Weight wise, I lost 14 pounds in the year and I' don't recall the inches but i'm thinking it was like 17 or 18inches total.. I'm excited and I'm looking forward to adding new activities.

Shad
08-31-2007, 09:26 PM
It works, it really works - exercise I mean

1day@atime
09-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Good Morning Ladies,

Ok, the month of sept I actually gained 3 lbs. I think it's mostly water, cause the last few days I've eaten quite abit of salty foods. But that should not be an excuse. I know what I have to do, it's just doing it. Today I"m going to go to the grocery store and stock up on fruits and veggies.

Shad
09-05-2007, 04:59 AM
I've lost the aeroplane bloat I had on Monday, but I am still up .6kg from what I was last week. So I'm back to the drawing board again to get it down for the month. It would have helped if I had taken the fluid tablet I was supposed to this morning as well but I forgot. If the darned things are not on the bench I forget them.

One thing about having to work hard and work overtime is that you aren't constantly zipping off to the fridge for something to eat. At least I can control the fridge blight here. I can only eat what I bring from home. I must do a big shop this week to get some fresh veggies and things into the house. Right now all I have is some tired salad leaves, some cherry tomatoes and some snow peas. They will probably get chucked after tonight.

1day@atime
09-05-2007, 10:03 PM
I've heard it said the decision of what to eat or not to eat starts at the grocery store. I don't know why I think I can buy something and then tell myself i'm going to ration it out. Ya, right, don't try to get my ice cream from me :).

OK, today is day 1 of my eating right plan. I went to the grocery store last night, bought plenty of fruits, veggies, yogurt, deli meat, tuna and chicken breast etc. Of course my mid-morning I was wanting sugar.. anything with sugar.. Instead I drank my water and had a yogurt. After lunch same thing... wanted sugar...Drank more water... Made it through though. Going to workout tomorrow morning and friday. I am determined I will see a loss this month..

Shad - I"m glad your bloating has gone away. Hope your having not to work overtime everynight. Is it still cold there?

Shad
09-08-2007, 02:50 AM
Patty - I am the same if I have ice-cream in the freezer. It never lasts - ever. So now I try very hard not to buy it or if I do, I buy the lite stuff - some of them are actually not bad although nothing is as good as the real thing or the real thing made at home.

I've been experimenting with half ice cream and half yoghurt and freezing that. It's not too bad either.

It's Saturday and I am at work, although not for much longer. I've more or less done as much as I can today - or is that as much as I want to?? So I'll be heading off, up the hill shortly to go home.

I've got some lamb chops for dinner and I'm going to have them with a salad and some oven baked chips. I also bought some whole chickens to roast for my salad lunches as well. Tomorrow I need to go up to the markets for fruit flowers and vegetables. And I'm hoping I will get back on track with both exercise and eating. Fingers crossed :crossed:

1day@atime
09-08-2007, 06:45 PM
Shad - There's no hoping you going to do it you ARE going to do it. My friend that works out with me get on to me, when I say " I'll try to be there, Or I might, Or I hope". She tells me when i use those words I've already made a conscious decision to NOT do it. So now I use more affirmative words like " I will work out tomorrow. Or I will make a good decision for dinner. I think it's just a mind game. ANYWAY... working on a saturday.. I hope you got out of the office early to still enjoy your day. uhm.. Do you get your fruits from a farmers market or from a grocery store?

We'll this is day 4 of eating healthy. What i'm doing is journaling my food and emailing it to a friend. I told her I was committing to 7 days and then from there reevaluate and will recommittee again. For me thinking of 30days of eating healthy is such a long time, so I"m committing for short periods. So far so good. I have really had to be prepared as far as snacks and food. Today I even went to a training class and took my fruits and passed up on the delicious carrot cake.

Shad
09-12-2007, 02:14 AM
Hi ya Patty

I've been fighting the flu this week, but the throat is much much better and the nose has loosened up enough to be a nuisance today and I am sleeping better, so life is looking up. It will be a better day today even if it is windy, raining and cold. Spring might have sprung, but it hasn't landed yet! I was just saying to one of my fellow workers this morning that I don't mind wind, I don't mind rain, and I can live with cold, but not all three at once if you don't mind Mr Weatherman.

To answer you questions:
I've been getting my fruit and veges from the local market. I try hard not to buy fresh fruit and vege from the supermarket as they are not always as fresh as they like to make out and I get really cross when I buy a lettuce which doesn't last more than a couple of days in the fridge. Ditto for bananas and fruit which goes soft or brown before I get to eating them. I never buy flowers from the supermarket, often they are half dead before I get them home.

I have a nice surprise coming up on Saturday. My friend and mentor S is working up in the Pilbara and they have given her a weekend off for good behaviour so she is coming to Perth. This lady taught me just about everything I know about my job. I haven't seen her for a couple of years since I have been working in the boonies and she has been at home and semi retired in Brisbane. How they got her to do six weeks in the back of beyond is a mystery. Maybe Rio Tinto offered to pay off her mortgage or something. The lady doesn't come cheap. So anyway, on Saturday we are going to meet up and spend the day sightseeing in Freemantle and surrounds. I'm about to go hire a car for the day. We were going to use the train, but with the weather supposedly not going to be great, it might be a good idea to have a car handy so we can zip out and about. I'm excited!

Right oh - well my challenge is going fairly well. Once past the aeroplane bloat and the sinus bloat, I'm down about 1.5lb from the beginning of the month. This morning I woke before the alarm and leapt out of bed (lies, lies, lies, staggered is more like it) and straight into 30 minutes with Jillian Michaels from the biggest loser. Got through it a lot better today, but I'm a real puddle at the end of the workout. I'm going to carry on with this one for the rest of the week, then I'll try her other dvd - shape up back. This one is shape up front. I figure something has to happen as far as the flab goes eventually. Well I hope it will.

Better go do something. See ya

1day@atime
09-14-2007, 07:13 AM
Hello Shad -

I can't believe I"m on day 10 of eating healthy. I have had 2 major temptations, but got through them. I wish I could say it's gets easier but it doesn't. I constantly have to remind myself, to eat my fruit vs a candy bar. This week being TOM was especially hard. Workouts are going great, I just to stay focused on the food.

Hope you are feeling better. I hope you enjoy your time with your friend that is coming in town. Do you watch the biggest loser? Juillian is back.. that show gives me such motivation..

Have a great weekend..

1day@atime
09-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Good Morning Shad,

Just had to tell you this morning I weighed in at home and was 170.... I am so excited :carrot: Tomorrow is my midpoint weight in from the trainer i workout with and on her scales the last time i weight i was 177.. i knew i had gained about 3 lbs, but i was telling myself it was water weight due to the salt and stuff i had eaten over labor day weekend & pre TOM. We'll see tomorrow.

Day 12 of eating healthy and it doesn't get any easier. I need to stop counting the days and try to look at this as everyday life. That is a hard one though.

Hope you are enjoying your time with your friend..

HalGal
09-16-2007, 02:47 PM
Hey Ms. Patty and Shad!

I am so happy for and proud of you Ms. OneDay. You are very dedicated and 7 pounds is something to celebrate! Way to go.

Shad, as always I love to hear how you are doing. You also remain dedicated and it is so interesting to hear about the different types of food and exercise you are trying.

I remain at just under 15 pound down and my one year anniversary at Weight Watchers was last week. My good friend that I go with has lost 75 pounds. I do feel the need and desire to step it up. We started walking together 3 weeks ago. I cannot keep up with him, and I know he is walking slower for me. I am only beginning to feel inspired to do this, it is hard at my weight. I ordered a new set of walking shoes that I keep at school to walk in after school - usually early evening once papers are graded and halls are clear.

I'm not fooling anyone this kind of trying stuff.

Way to go Patty!

Shout out to other fellow lurkers Thin, Anne, Nita and long lost Cat!

http://ak.imgag.com/imgag/product/thumbs/3042794r.gif

Shad
09-17-2007, 04:37 AM
Patty, I look forward to the results from the trainers scales. 7lbs is awesome. Once again I sabotaged myself this weekend. Didn't do too bad on Saturday, but Sunday was pretty nasty. I do do some silly things at times and if I really think about it, if I don't have a decent breakfast, then I will have a bad day. It's time to stop and think about that hey!!!

Hi Connie, nice to see you again. Good to hear that some motivation is coming back. It's very hard for you if your fellow loser is a male. They just seem to lose it so easily, it drives me nuts.
Basically when we don't try hard, the only person we are hurting is ourselves.

I think I have had enough of today. It's time to go home. Have a good day

1day@atime
09-19-2007, 02:00 PM
Good Afternoon ladies,

Hal - Good to hear from you. WTG on your 1 year anniversary with WW. I too was in that situation. I have been working out close to 1 year and when I look at what I had lost, it didn't compare to all the sweat that I had put in. My friend who is a trainer, asked me about my food and she knew the answer, but asked me anyway and I had to say that I did not follow a food plan. I just ate what I wanted. So, from that day I started my food plan, and of course the dreaded JOURNALING... It's been 14 days and I'm so excited about my loss. I think that is nice of your friend to stick with you, Ya, he might be slowing down but in notime you'll start to see improvement. YOU CAN DO IT...

Shad - It's so hard to stay on the program and and then with company makes it even harder. We'll today is a new day... I have to agree with you on the breakfast. If i don't have one, then I tend to eat whatever is available. I'm learning that being prepared is half the battle. (The other half is talking myself into eating what I prepared) :)

As for me, still on program... I actually got below the 170 today... I was at 169.2:carrot::carrot: I have not seen that number on my home scale in 2 years...

Shad
09-24-2007, 03:00 AM
Patty,
Wonderful news. You and I are at about the same weight. Don't know about height.
You must be very pleased with yourself - on a roll. Carry on. I'm in a holding pattern at the moment and will be very pleased if I just stay where I am, and not put on any more this month.

1day@atime
09-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Shad - I'm short... only 5ft 1 1/2 inches.
This week was busy studying for a upcoming test. Boy when I get bored at home I tend to just want to eat. I gave in to a small package of cheetos and 2 no sugar added fudgesicles. I also noticed I didn't drink as much water. Need to work on that, as I'm studying for a Certification and it's going to take a few months to get.

1day@atime
09-26-2007, 01:49 PM
Shad - I'm still hanging in here. Yesterday I knew that the girls I work out with were not going to be there and it's so easy to skip working out at 5am. After not working out, it kinda of went downhill with my eating... But today is a new day... back on track...

Hope your having a great day!

Shad
09-29-2007, 12:24 AM
Hi - sorry I haven't been back for a while. I can't get in on the computer at work any more and have to try to find internet cafes around the place. I'll be back at the exercising and working out next week. I hope I can lose something in October. September was a really bad month.

1day@atime
09-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Shad - I understand. You had mentioned a while back that you also post on another site and had invited us to join you. I'm thinking that might be a good idea, so you won't have to post twice. I forgot the name of the site. OH, and are you all still open to new members?

My weight in is tomorrow. I should have a loss, but you just never know.

Shad
09-30-2007, 07:08 PM
Always room for one more Patty. Here's the link http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121807 to click on so you can go have a look at the terrible things we can get up to. There's a real variety of ladies there from all over the place - mostly USA and Canada (and one from Texas too), but the odd one like me from all over. Post whenever you feel up to it. It's such a shame that the others are not posting regularly here. You've all been together for such a long time. But that's life. Things happen in peoples lives and we get left behind.

I can now get into the site at work again. Don't know what happened, but now the world clock is deemed to be off limits. Don't ask what they are doing with the net nanny - I sure don't have any clues.

I've weighed and measured for the start of the month. I'm aiming to lose 5lbs again. I'm not going to go all out on the exercise like I was, but I will be doing some. I think I will concentrate more on good food and portion control.

Looking forward to hearing how your weigh in goes. You've really done well.

1day@atime
10-01-2007, 07:42 PM
Hello Shad,

today's weigh in lost 6 pounds, 1 inch in my hips & bust 1/2" in my waist

Going to make Oct goal 5 to 8 lbs...

Shad
10-01-2007, 07:46 PM
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123998&page=2

Hiya Patty - see you are on at the moment. We have changed threads if you want to join us. Link is above. Be great to have you on board there.

Congratulations on the loss. It's a wonderful effort.

1day@atime
10-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Shad - I must of missed you yesterday.
I posted in your other forum. I'll see you there.