General chatter - All About Football......

View Full Version : All About Football......

707Goddess
08-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Sorry Ez i had to start this one im a HUGE I mean HUGE football fan my raiders first game is next Sat and i cant wait
How about you guys any other fans around ?
Michelle

Lovestorun
08-01-2007, 01:28 PM
I am also a huge HUGE fan of football. Of course my team
is the Tampa Bay Bucs! Even though they haven't been doin
to hot the last couple of years!;):cheer2::woohoo:

:cheer::coach: NEVER LET YOUR TEAM DOWN!!!!!!

sockmonkey70
08-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Heck yeah this is my kind of thread hehe. What about them Saints! Who Dat! I have been watching Saints football since before I could walk. I am excited to see they finally have a team worth watching! But even when they are losing, I love watching them..you never know what to expect!

So what do you think about the Raiders picking up Culpepper as Russel's backup Michelle? They are very similar in style...Could be interesting.

techwife
08-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Michelle: My husband grew up in LA and is a Raiders fan. We're both Bills fans, though. I was once at a Bills/Raiders game and the temperature was 14 degrees below zero!! I didn't think I'd ever be warm again. I don't even remember who won...I just wanted to go home and take a hot bath. But, that's football in Western New York for ya!!

My football highlight...when I was 14, I met Joe Ferguson (QB before Jim Kelly) and he told me I was pretty...something in the lines of my dad taking his picture and him saying, "Can't have a picture without a pretty girl in it!" and he motioned to me to be in the picture with me. He said, "Nice to meet you , Kris" and I nearly peed my pants as I said teeeheeehee and ran out the door.

707Goddess
08-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Oh im so excited new coach new quaterback i cant wait ANY thing would be better then last year we only won 2 games last year alot of tears were shed and a whole lotta cursing at the tv LOL

sockmonkey70
08-01-2007, 02:13 PM
LOL Y a'll got stuck with our sluff off QB Aaron Brooks last season, correct? He seemed to have had alot of potential...He just always choked in critical situations and made dumb plays. I know how you feel with the tears and cursing at the TV..Saints fans are pro's at it.

Rhighlan86
08-01-2007, 02:14 PM
I am a huge college football fan (GO WVU!) I've already requested off of work for all home games and you better believe if there is a bowl game (hoping the Rose Bowl) I'm going there too!

For pro football I'll watch a little bit of everyone I don't really have a favorite team since I'd rather watch college, but now that I live with my boyfriend I am going to be watching and supporting the Bengals. :)

sockmonkey70
08-01-2007, 02:17 PM
See I am the exact opposite Rhighlan..I could just never get into college football. There are too many teams to keep up with and I have just never gotten passionate about it..but I watch college football with my SO because football is football afterall LOL, and he LOVES it.

Janny O
08-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Hey Mary! I've got money (a bet) in Vegas for the Saints to win the NFC division this year!! So, I'll root with you a little. Sorry, but I have the Patriots for the Superbowl here in Phx.
I am very loyal to my GB Packers tho......
Hiya Goddess-your Raider's are playing our Cardinals. This should be an interesting game. Not really a Cardinal fan, but I have season tickets.
This is gonna be a great thread!!!
-Jan

Slashnl
08-01-2007, 04:44 PM
I'm a huge college football fan... but I'm also a huge pro football fan.... of course I'm a huge 6th grade football fan because my boy is playing. So, for college, I've always been a Nebraska fan, GO BIG RED! Pros - the Broncos - but I think I can still get along with a Raider fan. And the 6th grade team - the Cowboys!

I've been following the baseball thread and was looking forward to seeing a football thread start. It's my favorite!

707Goddess
08-01-2007, 05:24 PM
OH mary we are eye to eye i dont follow collage at all but as far as brooks (hangs head down shaking no )NO GOOD i mean come on the easiest thing to do is grab the ball at the snap he dropped it so many times i could have swore some one was rubbing butter on his hands before every play LOL

elmuyloco5
08-01-2007, 05:32 PM
X

707Goddess
08-01-2007, 08:05 PM
yeah my second fav team is the steelers i hang around nothing but steeler fans so it's hard not to love them as well

lavidasofa
08-01-2007, 08:34 PM
I'm a die hard Colts fan and a NFL addict. Once Spetember rolls around I don't answer the phone on Sundays or Monday night lol.

I heard the Raiders just signed Culpepper which I think is a good idea. Sucks that Russell is holding out :(

707Goddess
08-01-2007, 08:41 PM
OH YEAH every sunday my children all ready know i pull up my LOS ANGELES raiders chair YES its old but still love it and i take control of the tv and they KNOW not to ask me for sh$t durning football no i dont neglect my kids i plan all there meals on Sat during foot ball LOL

EZMONEY
08-01-2007, 11:41 PM
:carrot::carrot::carrot: YEAH! MICHELLE!:carrot::carrot::carrot:

So glad you started this! I am really excited and PO'd at our RAIDERS right now with the Russell ordeal. I am thinking Kiffin will be a big improvement. Having a chance to get Culpepper at the last minute is about asd good as it could get. You gals are right on on Brooks last year :p

Although I enjoy pro football, I enjoy college football much more! Years ago I used to attend a lot of USC games...been to a couple of ROSEBOWLS...nothing like it!

My entire family are USC fans. My son, daughter and I have been RAIDER fans for life. My daughter in law is a huge USC fan ~ she was a :cheer:leader there. Both my :love: daughter in law :love: and :p son in law :p are :p:p charger :p:p fans. Football season is fun around here, especially with the big years USC has had the last 5. We all know the years for us RAIDER fans have been a little lean :(

Well I will be back but right now I hafta go watch barry BIG HEAD bonds strike out against our DODGERS MICHELLE ;)

sockmonkey70
08-02-2007, 01:18 AM
I also watch the Packers (only until Brett Favre retires though) and the Colts (because the Vols were the only college team I ever really watched because Peyton IS a Manning afterall LOL, gotta stick with my home fries)

Anyone have any thoughts on the Michael Vic saga? I hope the Falcons drop him. He is SOOO overrated in my opinion. Yes, it's good if a Quarterback knows how to scramble in a tight situation...But they need to know how to PASS the ball too damnit. He has a strong arm, but his accuracy and choice of throws are questionable at the least.

PS....I HATE LSU.
And that's the word.

sockmonkey70
08-02-2007, 01:23 AM
And since there are so many Raiders fans here..I lived in California til I was about 3, and I attended my first Saints game vs. the Raiders in L.A. Seems like A LONG time since they were the L.A. Raiders huh. We were pretty much the only Saints fans there by the way:rofl:

707Goddess
08-02-2007, 02:35 PM
13 days till my first game OMG i feel like im gonna jump outta my skin i cant wait and im SUPER excited , gosh i hope for big things this year maybe 3 wins :lol3::goodluck:

lavidasofa
08-03-2007, 09:59 AM
I agree sockmonkey, that Vick is far too over rated. Of course being a Manning fan, I like pocket QB's so all this running around just drives me up the wall lol. And I used to think McNair was bad!

The Hall fo Fame Game and induction is this weekend. Not too exciting but at least it starts to mark off the upcoming new season. I'm semi-interested in hearing what Michael Irving has to say in his speech.

Ummm anyone else think Rich Eisen is sexy? :dizzy:

aymster
08-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Looooooooooooove football!!

BILLS fan here! (Grew up in WNY) We always have hope each year.... So glad Marv Levy is on board again with the Bills Org.

I just washed my Bills gear in anticipation for the season starting. ;)

I see we have a lot of AFC people here! :D

Janny O
08-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Going to Philly in Sept to see the Eagles vs. Detroit. We are SUPER SIKED!!!
But in the meantime we'll have to settle with the Cardinals. sheesh.
Football is KING in our house too!!
-Jan

PS Rich Eisen is cute.

707Goddess
08-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Ok well my steelers ( 2nd fav team) spanked new orleans last week i cant wait till sat to see where my raiders are at hopefully they come out strong and stay strong

techwife
08-08-2007, 10:17 PM
You know, other Bills fans I know seem to love that JP Losman creature. I think he's about as reliable as Ryan Miller is as Goaltender for the Sabres in the last five minutes of the game. Only JP is that unreliable for the whole game. Maybe Marv Levy will work wonders with him and I'll start to be impressed this year. I've always been die-hard Bills fan and still they're my favorite team...but at 41, I'm getting sick of wasting my time and emotions on a team that looses so much (with the exception of the late 80's and early 90's...) I'm not a bandwagonner....I've been through it through thick and thin (did I mention the Raiders game with the temperature at 14 below zero...I was there...in the 40th row of the upper deck of Rich Stadium...when there was only 40 rows in the upper deck...never thought I'd be warm again....anyhow...)...I'm just saying that the last couple years, I've been having more fun watching Peyton Manning soar to stardom. At 41 years old, I'm starting to learn that I don't always have to cry watching my favorite team lose all the time, I can still root for them while rooting for the WINNER, Peyton Manning.

Anyhow...I'm hot and have to go lay down my the air conditioner. I don't know how people in the south can handle this for more than a month a year.

aymster
08-09-2007, 09:39 AM
Hey Techwife, I was at that game too! Makes me shiver just to think about it! I was also at the game where we hold the greatest comeback in NFL history and beat the (then) Oilers to get into the playoffs! Frank Reich pulled us out of that hole! What a game!!

I know it's hard being a BILLS fan, but I always have that glimmer each season. Since the Sabres laid down and rolled over and showed their bellies this year, it really does make me wonder about the "Buffalo Curse"... :o

Still a fan though.... ;)

techwife
08-09-2007, 12:50 PM
:lol3: I'll never forget that Oilers game. My best friend's husband was a die hard Oilers fan and I lived with my best friend and had to go to work that day and saw him and said, "May the best team win." Well, I got home that night and was lambasted about how the Bills are owned by the mafia and they cheated, etc, etc, etc and I was like, Ya know...I was working...its not my fault...lay off!! It was a SWEET comeback, though...

Don't even get me started on the Sabres. I feel like cutting my Briere jersey into tiny pieces or lining my litter box with it. Not so much mad at Briere, but at management for letting him go to the FLYERS!! I hate Marty Biron now...I think he helped talk him into it. Have you been to the Flyers website? They have a picture of the top four players they acquired and the picture of Briere looks like it could be captioned, "I just made a TON of money..." Oh, well...I also have a Vanek jersey that I'm really glad of. He'll make up a lot of the slack without our Briere and Captain Clutch (Drury). It'll be interesting to see how the sheets shake out. I just don't understand what happened to the management this year...I think their brains were stuffed with golf balls. I love Miller...especially in the shootouts...but he ALWAYS lets one go in the last couple minutes of the game...he could have so many shutouts if he kept his focus for the entire 60 mins of game play.

Anyhow...this is about football. Back to that subject... I've been a bit disenchanted with football over the last few years...more of a mean mentality, millions of dollars to players that are terrible role models to our kids and not as much love for the game from the players. Not a whole lot of stars (except for Peyton Manning and Marcia (tom) Brady). Hockey's getting to be just as bad with the money, but the love of the game is still strong and I like that.

By the way...I have an EXCELLENT black bean salsa that is an excellent thing to have on the coffee table with some triscuits on Football Sundays!!

Black Bean Salsa:

1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed

handful of fresh chopped cilantro (more or less depending on how much you like it)

half of a large purple onion

two vine-ripened tomatoes

juice of 1 lime

fresh-ground black pepper

cheyenne pepper for heat if you like hot salsa OR a couple diced pepperoncinis

Okay...cut it all up, toss it together and let it sit for an hour or so and scoop it up with Triscuits. Its all good and the triscuits are 100% whole wheat. GREAT snack for watcing football on Sundays!! Or hockey on any night of the week!! :s:

aymster
08-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Ohhh YUMMY! Thanks for the recipe!

Yeah, I can't talk about the Sabres too much right now either. Just frustrates the heck out of me! But it will be interesting to see who steps in Drury's place... maybe we could steal another Avs player!! :lol: And the Stars have a tainted cup from 1999... the foot WAS in the crease, dangit! :devil: (I'll never let that go!)

Anyway, yeah, Football is just around the corner and I really look forward to the first game being it's the Jills and the Donkeys... I mean the Bills and the Broncos... :rofl: But it's in Buffalo this year and since I live near Denver, I thought it was the Bills' turn to come out here! UGH!!!

"Are you ready for some football?"

techwife
08-09-2007, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I can't talk about the Sabres too much right now either. Just frustrates the heck out of me! But it will be interesting to see who steps in Drury's place... maybe we could steal another Avs player!! :lol: And the Stars have a tainted cup from 1999... the foot WAS in the crease, dangit! :devil: (I'll never let that go!)

"Are you ready for some football?"

Did you see Don Cherry giving Brett Hull an earfull this playoff season about that shot? Brett Hull was talking about some goal that should have been a no-goal (I think it was a Vanek goal) and Don Cherry was all, "Oh, like you're one to talk Mr. Shot From The Crease" and Brett Hull was all, "We won that fair and square!" and Don Cherry was all, "Oh, don't give me any of that bull, that was a no-goal and you know it...to bad you didn't win it clean!" it was great...Brett Hull didn't know what to do and Don Cherry doesn't put up with anyone's nonsense. I love Don Cherry. And not just his clothes, either!!

Outland
08-09-2007, 08:04 PM
GO RAVENS!!!PROTECT THIS HOUSE!

Its going to be such a great year. This is why I work sats so I can sundays off. For 17 weeks there is always something to watch and talk about.

EZMONEY
08-09-2007, 11:55 PM
FOR MICHELLE!

aymster
08-10-2007, 09:37 AM
[QUOTE]
Did you see Don Cherry giving Brett Hull an earfull this playoff season about that shot? Brett Hull was talking about some goal that should have been a no-goal (I think it was a Vanek goal) and Don Cherry was all, "Oh, like you're one to talk Mr. Shot From The Crease" and Brett Hull was all, "We won that fair and square!" and Don Cherry was all, "Oh, don't give me any of that bull, that was a no-goal and you know it...to bad you didn't win it clean!" it was great...Brett Hull didn't know what to do and Don Cherry doesn't put up with anyone's nonsense. I love Don Cherry. And not just his clothes, either!![/QUOTE

LOL!! No, I missed that! Shoot!

(I posted a reply this am, but it's missing..)

I read your quote last night before bed and had a dream about telling someone about this!!

Everyone knows that the '99 Cup is heavily tainted. "The Cup doesn't go.... where it doesn't snow...!!"

Got excited when I saw Football on TV last night! Getting excited!!

I'm going to try your recipe this weekend! ;)

techwife
08-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Aymster: I have some of the quotes wrong, but here is the video of the Don Cherry/Brett Hull interview. You have to go to the end of the interview, but its there...Don Cherry sticking up for our Sabres...gotta love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3FwRoBoYuM

EZMONEY
08-10-2007, 07:27 PM
KRIS! The thread is FOOTBALL!!!!

JayEll
08-10-2007, 08:18 PM
:lol: EZ!

I lived in SF during the glory years... now I root for Tampa Bay. I also like Patriots, and I was glad to see Peyton win the SB. I am SO HAPPY that it's preseason now! :hyper:

Jay

techwife
08-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Gary: Fine then, I'll start my own HOCKEY thread!!! :crazy:

EZMONEY
08-10-2007, 11:59 PM
techwife ~ Get Back Here

aymster
08-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Aww... we're just having a bit 'o' "Buffalo" chatter! ;) We Buffalo fans don't have much ya know!

Thanks for the link! Love Don's razzing: "... you should talk Mr. Foot in the Crease..." LOVE IT!!

Did you watch the Bills last night? I just happened to catch some of the game (cuz I didn't know it was on since I love in Bronco's country) and they looked pretty good! I mean for a pre-season game (scrimmage).

Wow, the real season's only a month away! :carrot:

(Psst... we do need a hockey thread... ;) )

EZMONEY
08-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Aww... we're just having a bit 'o' "Buffalo" chatter! ;) We Buffalo fans don't have much ya know!

AYMSTER ~ I was only teasing ;)

(Psst... we do need a hockey thread... ;) )

Tech's :mad: at me. She started one! Maybe I'll bring the CUP over! Go DUCKS!

aymster
08-11-2007, 09:32 AM
I know you were.... it's just fun poking ya in the ribs... :p

Does it snow in Anaheim?

EZMONEY
08-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Hey JAY ~ I am a kinda-sorta TAMPA BAY fan. Although in the RAIDER~Tampa Bay Super Bowl it was :( RAIDERS all the way!

Living in San Clemente, California, between the ages of 9-13 the "local" team of course was the Rams. Now, that was also at a time for the PURPLE PEOPLE EATERS, my dad was always a Rams fan...until WE became RAIDER fans. Because the VIKINGS were good and on TV a lot at the time, I began liking them for a while...don't know why..but I just never liked the Rams. However, I was always a USC fan, so years ago when John McKay went from USC there to start coaching their football program, and took some SC boys with him I became a fan. Still pull for them, but don't follow that much. Still like the VIKINGS to do well since my pastor of the last 25 years is a huge fan of theirs. You can count on a VIKING comment every sermon during football season ;)

I became a RAIDER FAN when they came to Los Angeles...we had some fun...been tough lately.

Years ago I saw an interview on ESPN with Peyton Manning, while he was still with Tennessee. I was so impressed with him and what he had to say that I told my son "That kid is going to be my favorite player, no matter who drafts him"...and he still is....I am not a Colts fan at all...but if it doesn't effect my RAIDERS I pull for them too.

All in ALL if the Chargers lose, it's a good day :)...that isn't going to happen much this year I am afraid...my :p son in law :p and :love: daughter in law :love: are going to be so happy...at least until the Chargers do their yearly choke ;)

EZMONEY
08-11-2007, 09:55 AM
I know you were.... it's just fun poking ya in the ribs... :p

Does it snow in Anaheim?

We bus it in ;)

JayEll
08-11-2007, 10:07 AM
I am so bummed that Alstott is out for the season!!!! :cry: I will faithfully wear my Alstott shirt every weekend.

EZ, Raiders... well, as a Niners fan of the olden days, I question your taste. ;) Madden, now, he was a brilliant coach. I just love what he brings to the commentary.

I tend to like individuals no matter what team. Ladanian Tomlinson, for example. And that Seahawks back... Oh dear... Shaun Alexander!

It was quite delightful to see Tampa Bay win over the Patriots last night, even if it was pre-season.

Arrrrrr me hearties it should be quite a season...

Jay

EZMONEY
08-11-2007, 10:57 AM
JAY~ I was just never a 49er fan although I have pilled for them at times and THE CATCH by Clark over the Cowboys was just so Sa~WEEET!!

aymster
08-11-2007, 10:19 PM
We bus it in

LOLLLLLLLLLLL!!!! :D

BumpSetSpike
08-11-2007, 10:47 PM
GO STEELERS

woot

techwife
08-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Gary: Don't get your panties in a wad, I was planning on a hockey thread to match the other two sports threads. ;) I'm never truly mad at you, you know....

Anyhow...I'm kinda so-so on football this year...Peyton's all I really look forward to and the Bills aren't playing the Colts this year. We'll see...I can still make my salsa... :woohoo:

EZMONEY
08-13-2007, 11:41 PM
Gary: Don't get your panties in a wad, I was planning on a hockey thread to match the other two sports threads. ;) I'm never truly mad at you, you know....

Oh heck, I KNOW that...but you don't have to tell eveyone else...it takes the fun out of it ;)oh by the way, how did you know about the panties?

Anyhow...I'm kinda so-so on football this year...Peyton's all I really look forward to and the Bills aren't playing the Colts this year. We'll see...I can still make my salsa... :woohoo:

Any day is a good day for salsa!

techwife
09-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Well, that was a very entertaining game....for the BRONCOS!!! :mad:

I strongly dislike Losman

EZMONEY
09-10-2007, 12:03 AM
yep my RAIDERS stunk up the joint....

techwife
09-10-2007, 07:06 AM
I really fail to see the hype surrounding Losman. Its so frustrating. I used to feel sorry for football players that play poorly, but then I grew up and realise the gigantic paychecks they get to go out there and play poorly and, darnit, we, as fans, deserve a better performance from our 'star' quarterback! :mad: Failure is NOT an option!!

Gary...at least we have hockey season coming up in October!! :carrot: DH just bought our family pre-season tickets for a Sabres/Penguins game, about 7 rows behind the net! Preseason tickets are wicked cheap. We got all four of our tickets for the price of one regular season ticket! I can hardly wait!! DH used to live in Buffalo and is going to take us on a tour of his favorite haunts (I see to-die-for wings in my future :drool: ) and then up to Niagara Falls, then I'm hoping to come home via Canada and see the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. THAT would be cool! Then, drop back into NY over the river! Anyhow....at least if football torks me off, I still have hockey to look forward to!! :woohoo:

techwife
09-16-2007, 05:45 PM
:mad:Ugh...Grrr...LossMan...mucho stinko:mad:

When's hockey start?

EZMONEY
09-16-2007, 09:52 PM
RAIDERS....dang! What a tough loss...happy about the way they played though. Looking for "little" things this year...yep.

Kati
09-16-2007, 10:15 PM
I am a die hard PACKERS fan. I live in Chiefs land though, so I can't be to loud with the cheering.

EZMONEY
09-23-2007, 08:17 PM
raiders Win!!!!!!!!!! Yes!!! A Win!!!! Yes!!!!!!

Nicoyaangel
09-23-2007, 08:21 PM
GO RAIDERS!!!!!! I know they are not doing so great but I will NEVER turn my back on my team.

techwife
09-23-2007, 10:55 PM
About the only thing I hate more than the Bills right now is the arrogant mommy dumper, Tom Brady. 35-7. Un freakin believable.

techwife
11-05-2007, 07:09 AM
Geez...I really had to dig deep to find this thread.

Bills are making a surprising come back!! Colt lost to the cheating mommy dumpers, which I wasn't too happy about.