Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-31-2007, 02:17 PM   #1  
banned

Default fat march

http://abc.go.com/primetime/fatmarch/index

mon@9 e.
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:32 PM   #2  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

That looks really interesting. Do you know when it starts?

I really like the fact that the prize structure encourages teamwork. That to me is the way all of these shows should be. You shouldn't be rooting for your neighbor to ultimately fail.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:51 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

That looks really good I'm going to put it on my calendar ...

Starts : MONDAY, AUGUST 6 (9:00-10:00 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:51 PM   #4  
Nancy

Wow - time flies. When I first saw the promo for this it seemed like a long way off. I have it set to record on Monday!
Old 08-01-2007, 02:19 PM   #5  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I saw the previews of this show and it is one I plan on watching...would actually love to do something like that.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:26 AM   #6  
Nancy

Ok - so I watched this last night. I was really hoping that it was going to have less of the reality show shtick of emotional outbursts and complaining about each other, but I guess not.

I still like the premise in a lot of ways, but I think the show and producers were negligent about what that kind of physical activity does to a person that size. The fact that Shane had stress fractures in his feet and yet they were trying to egg him on to keep going? He should have been disqualified and the other contestants should have been able to not lose their share of the money. When starting off trying to lose when you are that heavy you need to be very careful you don’t hurt yourself badly. It was irresponsible of them to put him on the show in the first place, knowing what they intended to do.

Coupled with that was the fact that Anthony collapsed due to dehydration and low blood sugar. That again points to a failure on the part of the trainers to adequately take care of the people they are supposed to be looking out for. They obviously didn’t make sure everyone had enough water and were properly nourished. That was something that could have been easily avoided. Perhaps they just wanted the ambulance for the dramatic effect.

Things that made me angry -
* Do they have to define Anthony as a 25-year old virgin? They are implying that he hasn’t had sex just because of his size. There are a lot of reasons someone might be a virgin and it is nothing to be ashamed about or paraded as a descriptive term for a person akin to singer or wrestler.
* The dark haired woman (Jami Lyn I think) being all “I can’t believe Shane is leaving – *sob* - he was the core of the team” when she was one of the people who voted him off! Huh?

I also wished they addressed the women’s losses a bit more closely. Several were all disappointed at 5 pounds, when that is great. The female trainer said something in passing, but they didn’t really address it. This is exactly the kind of thing that gives people really warped ideas about weight loss.

All in all though, I did enjoy watching it and I will watch again next week. I feel like I could walk 13 miles in a day now without keeling over but I can’t imagine I could have possibly done it at my highest weight. I am thoroughly impressed that these people are doing this. Also, I was so touched when (I think it was Will) was about to cry because he wasn’t able to put on his own socks and shoes. I never quite got to that point, but I was close enough to understand the pain. My heart really went out to him.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:41 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheCheat View Post
I think the show and producers were negligent about what that kind of physical activity does to a person that size. The fact that Shane had stress fractures in his feet and yet they were trying to egg him on to keep going? He should have been disqualified and the other contestants should have been able to not lose their share of the money.
Yeah, I agree. IANAD but I'd think somebody over 500# needs surgery, RenY or lap-band, first, they can exercise later. That said, if all they were doing was walking, that seems like gentler exercise than what I've seen on Biggest Loser. (Although who knows what they'll be doing for the challenges on future eps?) As for Anthony, I was wondering, would they be allowed to carry an energy bar with them (or would the trainer have it handy to avoid cheating) or something that might give their blood sugar a boost if needed? Surely they burn enough calories walking 13, 15 miles a day (my lunch-hour walks are between 1.5 and 2 miles) to offset the calorie count of the energy bar?
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:04 PM   #8  
Nancy

I totally agree that you can start exercising at almost any size, but you have to modify the type of exercise. For example, maybe he could have marched along in spirit in a pool? That way he could take the stress off his bones and joints yet still have gotten the exercise. I still use the elliptical almost exclusively because I find walking on the treadmill hurts my knees and feet. It is just now starting to be ok for me.

I haven't watched much of the Biggest Loser to compare, but are the people on that show generally the same size? There is a huge difference in a guy being in the 300 something range to being 500. I did watch a bit last season and remember thinking that all the women were way smaller than me (although my perception of that can be really weird).
Old 08-07-2007, 01:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I watched most of this show last night, and it had its good moments, but I have a HUGE problem with the irresponsible way they get these people to exercise. I can RUN 13 miles now, but a year ago when I weighed 275 I couldn't have even walked 13 miles if you'd promised me the moon, let alone $100,000. You simply can't go from being sedentary to walking many many miles a day, no matter how slow you may be walking. It's dangerous, especially for someone who's carrying an extra 100 (or an extra 300, for that matter) pounds on his/her frame. How do the trainers not know this? How do the producers not know this? Are they simply ok with it? I'm confused. Of COURSE the 520-pound guy ended up with stress fractures. It's nothing to do with his commitment or motivation -- he was definitely committed to it. It's the simple logistics of it. If one of those trainers strapped a 100-pound backpack on, they might have some issues walking pretty far too. Especially if they hadn't been working out prior to trying. I don't know if the contestants had been trying any exercise before this, but if not...it's REALLY absurd to think they will be able to stay injury-free. I cringed the whole time I was watching because I'm worried about them!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:38 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

As much as I am angry about the issues other posters have brought up, we also have to remember that this is television, and reality TV to boot. The content we see has been SOO heavily edited, we have no idea what is *really* going on with the trainers, producers or participants.

I heard an interview once with a contestant from another reality show I follow, and she was asked about what looked like a huge blowout she had had with another contestant. Her response was that what they had appeared to say was from two entirely separate conversations, edited together to look like they were fighting. The reality of reality TV is that it is completely manipulated - we are NOT seeing reality when we watch these shows.

I'm hesitant to get too angry about this show until we know a little bit more about it.
practiceliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:40 PM   #11  
Joanne

S/C/G: 267/250/170

Height: 5'7"

I am extremely intrigued by this show and really hope that these people do well. I know at a glance we might be thinking they are crazy to even attempt 5 miles in a day to start but we all have to start somewhere and I find this show absolutely inspirational. I wanted to get out and walk right then and there - ok the fact it was 10 in the evening and I had to be up at 5:30 was the main reason I didn't go out and walk but I sure wanted to. As others pointed out we are only seeing such a tiny part of the 8 days - we have no idea how many other people are with them including medical teams etc etc.

Fat March is based on an English Show called Too Big To Walk -- I thought you might like to see what they wrote about the contestant's abilities and I am sure the American contestants will be treated much the same way.

"All our walkers will start at the same time, at the same point. We will quickly see who is fit as they rush ahead. And we'll see who'll struggle as they fight for breath after only covering 100 yards. Some may simply not have it in them and might be forced to drop out.

However, this is not a race. Each stage will see a different target set so that each walker will be able build up their stamina. Our walkers will be encouraged to stick together and learn from and support each other. At times, there will be a buddy system in place and our walkers will have to stick with their buddy group. This will force them to experience the journey from someone else's point of view. They will be able to motivate one another and help each other out with the day-to-day necessities like attending to each other's blisters, or tying each other's shoes. It is unlikely that left alone, many of our walkers would be able to do simple chores without help."
Jayjay55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:35 AM   #12  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I watched the show again tonight and can I just say how much I hate it??? Whiny contestants, useless trainers, forced drama, and in my opinion an irresponsible task for the largest of the contestants.

The sad fact is, that a weight loss reality show that is sensible, drama-free, without drama queens/kings would struggle for ratings. I think I'm done with this one.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote