40-Somethings - Labor Day Challenge, Anyone?

View Full Version : Labor Day Challenge, Anyone?

hopingtobehopeful
07-30-2007, 03:05 PM
It's exactly 6 weeks to Monday, September 3rd, Labor Day. Anyone want to join a challenge? :carrot:

I would like to lose 1.5 pounds a week for a total of 9 pounds. This would put me at 184 and keep me on track for my December challenge date.

Anyone in with me?

:hug: Hope

Slashnl
07-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Hoping: I looked at this thread before and I wasn't going to do it because the last time I had a goal, I didn't make it and felt bad. But, that's just silly. So, I am going to join you. I am going with a baby goal because right now I think I need baby steps to get back on track. So, I'm saying 6 pounds, for a pound a week.

Gotta quit whining and move forward!

hopingtobehopeful
07-30-2007, 04:28 PM
I'm so glad you're going to do it! :D I know what you mean about getting goals and not making it. I don't think I'm going to make my July goal and I'm dissapointed :(. But, now that I see losing 10 pounds a month isn't going to happen, I am being a little more gentle. I'm a little nervous about a pound and 1/2 a week, frankly, but I did it the last six weeks, so that's it!

Hope

Slashnl
07-30-2007, 06:26 PM
I've heard that it is good to set a goal, so that you have a number to work toward, so it's a good thing. I figure that if I'm getting close to making it easily by Labor Day, I'll bump it up. But for now... that's what it is!

Anyone else up for this???!!

Virgo1969
07-30-2007, 07:10 PM
What types of things do you do to meet your mini-goal? I am here for a reason - ready to lose some of this weight!! Ideas? I live in the country. http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar04/sliderbug/lb/155/130/153/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

Virgo1969
07-30-2007, 07:14 PM
I tried the ONLY shapely secrets exercise I could find. Not sure if it will help tone the mid-section, but it is worth trying. I can walk the roads, it is kind of boring with out a partner to chat with along the way. I will try to borrow an Ipod or something. http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar04/sliderbug/lb/155/130/153/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

hopingtobehopeful
07-31-2007, 09:46 AM
Good to have another person on board.

In order to achieve my 9 pound goal, I am going to:

Continue to monitor my calories.

Eat 5 times each day.

2 servings fruit, 4 servings veggies.

Walk 5x a week for 2-3 miles.

Situps and stretches daily.

Don't beat myself up if I slip up once in a while. That's a sure way to give up.

Look at clothing catalogs for all the cute clothes I can wear on my cruise in December.

Have fun! Happiness burns off more calories!

Weigh in each Friday and report!

brismiley
07-31-2007, 01:24 PM
My labor day goal is to lose 10#'s. I ordered WW At Home kit and will be starting that soon as it gets here. Other then that I am continuing to get exercise as much as i can and watch what I eat.

hopingtobehopeful
07-31-2007, 01:52 PM
and congratulations on the 16 pound loss so far!

brismiley
07-31-2007, 05:49 PM
hopingtobehopful~ Thank you. I have been working at losing since January.

hopingtobehopeful
08-01-2007, 09:21 AM
Good news on the scale this morning but I really can't count it 'til Friday! But I was at 190.5 at 6:30am and I'm going to carry a little grin with me today.

Tomorrow I am having surgery and since I only come onto the site at work, I won't be checking in until Monday. No exercise for me for the next 5 days but since I can't eat anything from midnight tonight thru 7pm tomorrow, I may weigh my self tomorrow afternoon! J/k. ;)

Today I will continue to eat on plan and every three hours. This weekend is up for grabs. Mac and Cheese and Ice cream keep popping into my head! :devil:

Meanwhile, good luck to everyone and say a little prayer for me so I can keep my ovaries and uterus. I am a bit attached to them, ya know?

Slashnl
08-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Hope: Good luck with everything today. I'm sure that's more than a little unsettling to have to go through that. Prayers and good thoughts for you!

brismiley
08-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Hope~ I will pray you get to keep them.

PeaksAt180
08-04-2007, 07:29 AM
Hi my 40's friends - Count me in!

I just started yesterday and hope to lose 15 - 20 lbs by my vacation to Montana the end of September.

Good luck to everyone else with this challenge. Even if you don't make your number goal, even one pound toward your ultimate goal is an accomplishment so no need to get down on yourself! Reaching goals are good but losing pounds is even better!

Game on! :D

brismiley
08-05-2007, 12:16 PM
peaksat180~ that is a great philosophy! Happy loosing!

vealcalf2000
08-05-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm up for the challenge! I'd like to lose 8 lbs by Sept 3rd which would take me from 247 to 239. Good luck to all!:goodvibes

hopingtobehopeful
08-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Hey everyone! Good to see we are getting larger in numbers while we try to get smaller in size!

I had my surgery on Thursday and have kept all of my original equipment minus 2 cysts and "several" fibroids. Biopsies will be back in a couple weeks but eberyone seemed pleased.

Meanwhile, despite the ice cream I've had everyday since the surgery, I was able to eat on plan for the rest of the time. Good news is I didn't gain any weight!

But, now back to work! To achieve my Labor Day goal, today I will:

Eat NO Ice cream!
Stay on my food plan.
Walk to the bank. That's about all the exercise I can do right now!
Smile a lot!

Have a great day! :hug: Hope

Janny O
08-07-2007, 09:38 AM
Hiya Hope!
Glad to hear that everything is a-ok. Good to see that everyone is siked about the challenge.

I am hoping to lose 6 more lbs by Labor Day. But.....I have a Sept goal (by the 22nd or so) for a total of 100lbs GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
However there is a caviat-I am going to Philly then and you all know what devilish sandwich they have there. WHY does it have to be so tasty??? I already know that I'm going to eat one.....oh well.

Have a great week ladies!!
-Jan

Slashnl
08-07-2007, 03:56 PM
JannyO, if you can keep to just one sandwich, you would be my hero! Good luck to you while you are there!
Still plugging away here. I didn't weigh this week, but need to check next week.

hopingtobehopeful
08-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm late checking in today; damn job keeps getting in my way :mad:

I am soooooo close to 189, I can taste it. This seems to be one of those personal weight loss victories that I didn't realise I had. I guess because it's been so long.

This has been a good time for me food-wise, but I can't do any exercise, including walking for the rest of the week according to my doctor. I did some stretches with weights last night and it didn't go well with my surgery :o

I'm trying to make a positive change each week to get me to my short-term, then log-term goal. This week I bought a half gallon of skim milk for coffee in my office. Doesn't seem like much, but I use a CUP OF MILK each day at work. It's been whole milk all along. This has to account for some calories right?

Hang in there everyone. We are doing great!!!!!

hopingtobehopeful
08-07-2007, 04:24 PM
SLASH - I have to weigh every day or I get off track. Do you weigh once a week? Do you think maybe I should too?

Slashnl
08-07-2007, 04:36 PM
You know, I only officially weigh in once a week, on Monday. Back when I was in a really good routine, I would also weigh in on Friday, just to see what I needed to do over the weekend!
I got out of my routine and dust is collecting on my scale now... :) I'm getting back on track though!

hopingtobehopeful
08-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Today's motivator? I received a wedding invitation for 9/22. If I stay on track through this challenge and afterwards, I could be down by 21 pounds by then!

What's your motivation?

Slashnl
08-08-2007, 10:57 AM
My motivation is to be significantly lower in weight by mid January. That is when we have a sales meeting in Denver with our Denver branch. It is a fun time, going to a Nuggets game, eating at fancy restaurants, shmoozing with the big boss! I'd like to go this year with a smaller body!

hopingtobehopeful
08-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Slash - That's a good one! Far enough away that you could make a significant difference. And it sounds like a fun time! My agency does nothing that extravagant!

My long-term (for now) motivation is my 12/27 cruise.

sierralilly
08-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Hello Everyone,
I would like to join your challenge. My goal is 6 pounds. My biggest problem has been giving up the alcohol during dinner but I have not had any for about a week now and I do not even miss it. Well sometimes. Anyway I have started walking every day and I hope to keep that going.

hopingtobehopeful
08-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Hey Sierralilly, Good job on the alcohol! At least during the week, right? Walking is my exercise of choice too.

Tonight, I am meeting a friend for icecream after dinner. I will eat a lighter lunch and dinner to make up for it. But, I can't resist and it'll be nice to spend time with someone my own age for a change!

Great job everyone, Hope (dba-My mother's keeper!)

Belly Buster
08-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Hello!!

I have been surfing this site for two weeks, and finally made the decision to sign on last night. I am sooo inspired by all of your hard work and dedication to yourselves. I am recommitting me to myself today and this seem like a great place to start. I lost 25lbs. a couple of years ago, and recently started to see some of those nasty numbers coming back. I am determined to finish what I had started back then, And since I refuse to replace all the "fat" clothes that I just got rid of.... I need to get some control back.

So my labor day goal is..... 6lbs, and 4 days/weekly pilates or walking.
Thanks for all the inspiration!! Keep it up!!

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar065/slider-cow/lb/188/145/188/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

Slashnl
08-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Welcome Kim! Glad you joined us. Tell us about how you lost the weight last time. Are you following the same plan this time?
Looking forward to getting to know you.

Belly Buster
08-10-2007, 11:45 AM
Last time.... I did South Beach and pilates. Love the pilates, not so much the South Beach. Actually I don't mind the diet as much as I minded that I ended up cooking two meals most days. I have a meat and POTATOS ( and not the sweet kind) husband and 3 kids and none of them are very fond of wheat pasta either (they are big pasta eaters too). So I find that I feel like I am always sacrificing or compromising and working way to hard to make it work and eventually I started sabataging myself. Bad thing is, the darn thing worked for me when I was doing it. :sp:

This time around, I am going to try WW. My mom has been on that plan for as long as I can remember off and on and when she was on she always did really well. She gave me some of her extra stuff so that I can do it. I like the structure of it, (SB gave me two much freedom at times. I found myself eating a lot more cheese and peanuts than I probably was suppose to have!) and it forces me to write down what I eat so I can figure my points. I made up some forms for myself to keep track of food and water and exercise. I used to work for Jenny Craig, and I liked the food diary that they had clients use.

Other than that we have a pool and with the hot weather we have been spending plenty of time in it. In addition to the pilates, I am going to try and get some laps in too. It is a little difficult to do it with the kids (they would rather horse around with me than watch me swim back and forth), but I think if I get them involved in some races, that may help my situation! (by the by, my husband and kids are all stick thin..... weight issues are mine alone! :tantrum:)

I saw some of you have motivations for getting in shape. Mine is just my health. I am starting to develp vericose veins in my legs, and I have a family history of high blood pressure/cholestrol/obesity/diabetis. I am the healthiest one in my extended family and I want to keep it that way. I also have my kids to think about. First off, I want to be a good role model for them. Second, they are at the ages where they are getting more involved in sports and other activities and I need to keep up with them. They are 11, 9, and 6. I waited to have them so that we were finacially more stable, I don't want my health, or lack of, to keep me from enjoying them fully now.

Oh, and I really want to be back into a size 12!!!! :D

Belly Buster
08-15-2007, 10:40 AM
So, it has been a week and today was the big weigh in..... 2lbs! Not great, not bad. I realized that the reason I hate this loosing weight stuff is that you work so hard and expend soooo much energy on it, and there seems to be very little payoff. Oh, yeah, in the long run the pay off will be that I am at a healthier place and I will feel terrific, but 7 days of paying attention to my diet, exercising (well not 7 days of that but 3) and constantly coming to 3FC for motivation and inspiration for 2 lousy pounds? Doesn't seem to balance out much!

Have no fear.... I refuse to give up. I know that 2lbs is healthy and sensible and I do take pride in that. I had a good week, and plan to have another! :p

How is everyone else doing?

vealcalf2000
08-17-2007, 08:27 PM
So, it has been a week and today was the big weigh in..... 2lbs! Not great, not bad. I realized that the reason I hate this loosing weight stuff is that you work so hard and expend soooo much energy on it, and there seems to be very little payoff. Oh, yeah, in the long run the pay off will be that I am at a healthier place and I will feel terrific, but 7 days of paying attention to my diet, exercising (well not 7 days of that but 3) and constantly coming to 3FC for motivation and inspiration for 2 lousy pounds? Doesn't seem to balance out much!

Have no fear.... I refuse to give up. I know that 2lbs is healthy and sensible and I do take pride in that. I had a good week, and plan to have another! :p

How is everyone else doing?

Kim 2 lbs is great! I gained a pound:mad:but my period started this week so I'm not stressing out too much.