Support Groups - That 70s Show -- On Our Way to Losing 70-ish Pounds 7/30-8/5

queenjane
07-30-2007, 11:45 AM
Please check-in with:

What's your weigh-in (if you care to share):

How'd you do on last week's goal (and remind us of what it was):

What's your goal this week (it can be anything you choose):

They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and recent research shows that people who eat breakfast weigh less -- so, what do you usually eat for breakfast?:

IMPORTANT NOTE: I will not be able to post the weekly thread next week -- can someone please volunteer to do this for us? If you'd like to do it, PM me. THANKS!

queenjane
07-30-2007, 11:53 AM
What's your weigh-in (if you care to share): 209 :(

How'd you do on last week's goal (and remind us of what it was): I made it 5/7 days with no eating past 7:30PM.

What's your goal this week (it can be anything you choose): It's going to be hard this week (working long hours), but I'm keeping the same goal.

They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and recent research shows that people who eat breakfast weigh less -- so, what do you usually eat for breakfast?: Oatmeal. Every weekday. Cereal & multigrain toast every weekend day. Need to figure out how to get more protein into my breakfast to make it stick with me longer during the day.

I had a repeat of last weekend (eating too much at mom's, stressed out, my DS didn't sleep, and then he barfed -- again -- in the car on the way home). It was like the movie _Groundhog Day_. And my weight's up. Gotta get back on track, but like I said, this is a working long hours week (preparing for a conference next week, which will be a whole other ball of wax) and it's going to be hard. I did go to the Y and get my weight-lifting program setup -- now I just have to find time to get over there and DO IT. Ugh. I need some serious "me" time this week and I don't know where I'm going to find it.

--K

2Fat4myJeans
07-30-2007, 12:06 PM
What's your weigh-in (if you care to share): Don't know - TOM. Not even gonna bother this week LOL.

How'd you do on last week's goal (and remind us of what it was): No biggie - just cleaned out the kitchen and stocked it with healthy food.

What's your goal this week (it can be anything you choose): Exercise 5x this week and NO EATING after 7 p.m. The latter will be the most difficult, as I love to munch in the evenings.

They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and recent research shows that people who eat breakfast weigh less -- so, what do you usually eat for breakfast?: Ugh, I have never been a big breakfast eater so trying to eat breakfast has been a struggle. My meal plan this week involves fruit and some sort of protein for each breakfast - couple slices turkey bacon, or eggs, or lf cottage cheese.

queenjane - hope you find that much needed "me" time... it can be vital! Hope your little guy is feeling better....

I'm trying to think of other activities I can do besides munch on food. DH has two weeknights where he doesn't get home until about 7:30ish and I need things to occupy my time/hands/mind so I don't wander aimlessly into the kitchen and reach for snacks. I'm thinking about trying my hand at quilting, but I feel intimidated! :fr:

Ethereal
07-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Thanks for keepin' our thread going, QueenJane. :)

Good luck on the late-night munchies, 2Fat4myJeans! Quilting sounds wayyy too hard for me. If I need to distract myself, I play like a kid on the computer. :lol:

Life definitely has a way of getting in the way of our goals, doesn't it? Coming from someone with no kids and few responsibilities aside from work (& upcoming college!), I find it easy to forgive and admire such persistent, hard workers such as you QueenJane when "stuff happens"; don't worry about it too much! It happened, and it'll definitely happen again, but just continue on afterwards and you'll have no problem reaching your goal. My struggle is finding the happy medium between learning from one's bad experiences and letting them go. Good luck! :hug:

I, however, have no excuse! :o

What's your weigh-in: 203, down most of a pound from last week.

How'd you do on last week's goal (and remind us of what it was): Well I met the "downward movement on the scale" bit, but not very strongly, and I crapped out on exercise again. 3/6 days done. :( I'm waiting for some exercise DVDs to arrive in the mail now, because I hate being outside in the AZ summer, and DDR (my current cardio) is just TOO LOUD to do at 5AM on a 2nd floor apartment. Dangit!

What's your goal this week: 6/7 days of exercise, and NO EXCUSES.

They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and recent research shows that people who eat breakfast weigh less -- so, what do you usually eat for breakfast?: I definitely agree breakfast is very important! Along with my Fiber Choice +Calcium tablets (4g fiber & 50% daily calcium in 2 tablets) & multivitamin, I have cereal for breakfast. It's Pumpkin Raisin Crunch by Flax Plus, and has omega 3s/6s, protein, and fiber. I mix a serving of that with 1/4 a cup of Fiber One cereal for extra fiber, toss on a few raspberries, and then mix in a tablespoon of my whey protein with the milk (mmm, vanilla milk!). All in all my daily breakfast totals: 7g of (happy) fats, 21g of fiber, and 18g of protein.

QueenJane, I know it seems like something only bodybuilders should own, but I LOVE my whey protein. You can mix it with yogurt, cottage cheese, milk, water, cereal, oatmeal (AFTER it's cooked!), baked goods, smoothies, you name it! I usually don't use a whole giganto-scoop for most things, only if you want to drink a serving in water/milk, but rather 1 - 4 tablespoons (depending on what it is).

Another great protein-packed breakfast food is eggwhites or Egg Beaters. When I have oatmeal I usually mix in 1 eggwhite (and keep cooking until it's cooked - raw eggwhites are baaad) and it gives it a peculiar, fluffy texture that's kinda fun. Or you can go with the traditional egg white omelette, etc. :) Each one's only ~3.5g protein, but they're fat free, low sodium, and almost no carb. :D

cuddlzandhugz
07-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Well, my week was only a half-week, but I thought I'd get into the good habit of posting :)

What's your weigh-in (if you care to share):220, down 2 lb from last week

How'd you do on last week's goal (and remind us of what it was):Walk at least 30 minutes each day and no binges. 4/4 for both :carrot:

What's your goal this week (it can be anything you choose):Keep up the walking (at least 30 minutes every day) and lose another 2 lb. Also spread my calorie intake evenly throughout the day and build in an extra meal around 4pm to avoid bingeing in the evening.

They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and recent research shows that people who eat breakfast weigh less -- so, what do you usually eat for breakfast?:I usually get out of bed at the very last moment and rush out of the house with a cereal bar in my bag to eat at work, so I am really trying to get up 10 minutes earlier and eat a decent breakfast. However, it'll probably not evolve much beyond a bowl of cereals (up till now Special K but I hate them so I'm switching to unsweetened muesli and going to spike it with some extra seeds and fibers. Occasionally I throw in a fruit or a lf plain yogurt. I drink herbal tea when I get to work.

katallan
07-30-2007, 02:36 PM
What's your weigh-in (if you care to share): 185 when I weighed last Friday

How'd you do on last week's goal (and remind us of what it was): Exercise! - I did manage more exercise, but not as much as needed. So this week I want to exercise at least 5 times a week! My meal planning also did a nose dive! So I have managed to plan for today and tomorrow. I am going to sit down tonight and get the rest of the weeks menus done.

What's your goal this week (it can be anything you choose): Do a weekly meal plan!

They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and recent research shows that people who eat breakfast weigh less -- so, what do you usually eat for breakfast?: 2 scrambled eggs and a piece of bacon. I know bacon isn't really healthy, but I can't give it up!;)

2fat4myjeans - I have taken up quilting and I love it! I also took a couple of classes at the local fabric shop. Do not feel intimidated. It doesn't have to be perfect!

Ethereal
07-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Hey again all. :) It's been awhile since I've taken out my drawing tablet, so I went to www.mvm.com and made myself up a couple models, then shipped them to Photoshop and started tweaking them until they looked more like me. I wonder if this is what I'll really look like at 130 pounds! :D What'cha think?

(Before/After)

http://www.chronalis.com/images/lethe/makeover2.jpg
http://www.chronalis.com/images/lethe/makeover1.jpg

sonie
07-31-2007, 12:09 AM
What's your weigh-in (if you care to share):Still holding on to the 198-200 pounds. VERY FRUSTRATED!!!

How'd you do on last week's goal (and remind us of what it was): I had one Pepsi on Sunday. Not too shabby. Still downing the h2o like crazy.

What's your goal this week (it can be anything you choose): My goal this week to drop some FAT. I think it is just taking some time w/ the new eating plan.

They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and recent research shows that people who eat breakfast weigh less -- so, what do you usually eat for breakfast?: Special K w/ strawberries. Although, I am not sure how healthy it is. I don't really like breakfast food, but am trying to eat before work.

Queen, hope the little guy is feeling better. And you too. As for "me" time, I stay up and read when everyone goes to bed. I love the quietness of the house at night.

Ereal- good luck w/ the cardio. It is hard to find something to do that doesn't sound like a heard of buffalo charging to the downstairs neibors. Yoga, if done right, raises the heart rate and is considered cardio. And it is usually quiet until I fall over. hehe Going to go play on that website.

2 fat- I love quilting. Try and find the "Quilt in a Day" books. They are very simple and pretty. Also, get the rotary cutter. I am all for speedy quilting.

Cuddlz- WTG on the walking. I need to get my butt moving. I have even considered going to the gym in the mornings before work, but don't really see that happening. This week I am trying to walk with the kiddos after dinner, that way I don't feel like I am losing time with them. (wish me luck)

Kattallan- I wish I was more structured. Whenever I make a plan or list, I usually lose it. YIKES. WTG on the exercising.

Wish for the week: May we all lose some pounds, finds some quiet time, and feel appriciated for what we do for everyone else while taking time for ourselves. Happy week to all, Sonie

2Fat4myJeans
07-31-2007, 08:54 AM
2 fat- I love quilting. Try and find the "Quilt in a Day" books. They are very simple and pretty. Also, get the rotary cutter. I am all for speedy quilting.

Fast quilting? I'm down with that! Thanks for the tip - I'll look for that book today!

katallan
07-31-2007, 08:57 AM

Kattallan- I wish I was more structured. Whenever I make a plan or list, I usually lose it. YIKES. WTG on the exercising.

Wish for the week: May we all lose some pounds, finds some quiet time, and feel appriciated for what we do for everyone else while taking time for ourselves. Happy week to all, Sonie

Sonie, glad you remembered to tell about the rotary cutter! I can't do without it!

As for the menu plan - I have a 3 ring binder and I put the weeks menu in the front along with recipes. I also have a small 3x5 notebook I put my shopping list on and put in my purse. I found I can keep up with the notebooks! Plus I will hopefully have 1 to 2 months worth of menus that I can repeat and the menu planning won't take as long!

Have a great day!

queenjane
07-31-2007, 08:57 AM
Yesterday wasn't great, but better than the previous two days (the weekend was about 2450 cals/day, yesterday was 1713). I'm aiming for the low end of my range (1400) today. Also, I'm getting my first box from the local organic fruit and veggie delivery service today, so I'm psyched about that. My little guy must've just had motion sickness from the stop-and-go traffic b/c there's NO sign of remaining pukiness. It's a stressful week, so I'm going to try to go lift weights at lunchtime today to blow off some steam (and build some muscle).

I'm so happy this group is active (and growing). When I first got here to 2FC, there didn't seem to be a place for me -- and now I feel there really is one. Thanks, everyone, for posting and keeping this group moving. We WILL lose these pounds. We WILL.

--K

katallan
07-31-2007, 08:59 AM
Ethereal - I love your models. I think I will try and get mine done to see what I might look like!

katallan
07-31-2007, 09:01 AM
I'm so happy this group is active (and growing). When I first got here to 2FC, there didn't seem to be a place for me -- and now I feel there really is one. Thanks, everyone, for posting and keeping this group moving. We WILL lose these pounds. We WILL.

--K

I couldn't agree with you more! That's the way I felt in the past myself. I really look forward to coming here everyday and seeing what everyone has done for the day. Plus it keeps me accountable!;)

Glad the little one is doing good.

2Fat4myJeans
07-31-2007, 09:10 AM

I know what you mean. It seemed there was nobody with my height/weight combo struggling in exactly the same ways I was. People either weighed a lot more or a lot less than me, and I couldn't relate or find anyone with the same struggles. Thanks for starting this!

Ethereal
07-31-2007, 12:58 PM
Yes, this group definitely makes me smile. :hug: I can't wait til we reach our goals!

Today I'm starting my new cardio DVD (WATP), and this week I'm increasing my calisthenics + interval training to 3x per week (been doing 2x the past three weeks). I don't know if I'm any stronger yet, but you better believe I will be! :)

So refining my above-stated goal, 3x calisthenics/intervals, 3x cardio per week. I've also got the Fat Smash diet book en route, and some skinfold calipers to get some more measurements. I've set my August weight-loss goal for 6 pounds, and I'm ready!

:carrot:

queenjane
07-31-2007, 01:03 PM
I'm glad others were looking for this "niche" too!

Ethereal -- darn it, I would've sent you my fat smash books had you posted you were thinking about trying it! Let me know what you think of your WATP DVD. I have one that has the option of "just music" -- Leslie's lips are flapping but nothing's coming out -- and that's my favorite (I think it's called "3 fast miles.")

I did weights at lunchtime. I feel ALOT better about myself knowing that I am pretty strong -- and getting stronger. Esp. when I follow a muscular thin chick on the circuit and I upped my weight on all of the machines after her. She may be thin, but I am STRONG. :)

queenjane
07-31-2007, 01:06 PM
And remember -- I'm still looking for a volunteer to start next week's thread for our group!

Ethereal
07-31-2007, 01:10 PM
Are you doing Fat Smash QueenJane? Sorry, I'm terribly forgetful sometimes! :o What do you think of it?

I got the Walk Slim series, and I'm starting with the "3 Fast Miles" one, too. Eventually I want to buy the "4 REALLY BIG Miles" or whatever it's called (a fan of WATP gives rave reviews of that one in particular in the fitness videos section). Also got the Abs one, but I'm going to wait to do that until I adjust to 3 sessions of weights per week.

Awesome work on the weights. :D Though I always wonder how much muscle is hidden underneath my "cover," and I'm dying to let it show, I'm probably the girl wandering after you and halving the weights and giving you jealous looks at the gym. ;)

2Fat4myJeans
07-31-2007, 02:36 PM
Way to go on the weights, queenjane! Awesome!

Ethereal - good luck with WATP! I know you can do it!

I got my butt to the gym, too, despite my mind saying "awww, but you worked out yesterday..why not take today off?" Got my weights in + cardio. Does anyone else use a Heart Rate Monitor? I got the Polar F4 monitor for my birthday and it is so cool. It's way more accurate than the calorie-counters on the machines.

At my gym, they had the sign-up sheets for August classes out... I'm thinking about taking a "Guts and Butts" class. The instructor was there and I asked her about it - she said it's fast moving and totally focuses on the glutes and abs. I want to do it... but I'm worried I'll be too out of shape to keep up. :(

Ethereal
07-31-2007, 03:31 PM
2Fat: I haven't really attended a lot of gym classes, but in my experience the worst you can face is a little embarrassment (something I struggle with). I don't think they can kick you out, and even if you don't hit every step, imagine all the calories you'll be burning! A lot of instructors are kind and include easy and hard versions of most moves, or high/low impact. If they don't, just pace yourself and limit your range of motion if it starts to feel like too much.

I think you should go for it! What woman doesn't want strong abs and a nice booty? The weight's gonna come off, so you better get everything ready underneath! ;)

I finished my first WATP workout. I did the Fast 3 Miles by accident, because the two DVDs in the case were mislabeled (they switched the names around), but that's okay! I did it anyway, and sweat well enough. I added a lot of energy and range-of-motion to some moves, but others I had to do restrain myself or get too tired, so I know I can work on this one for awhile before it gets too easy.

The only other thing I can say is wow... that woman is crazy. :eek: I'm gonna try it next time with music only, no talking, and see if I can keep up. :rolleyes:

2Fat4myJeans
08-01-2007, 09:06 AM
Ethereal - thanks for the encouragement! I'll be at the gym again today so I'm going to try and find out more about the class. It's only 3 weeks long (due to school starting, I guess?) and Lord knows my gut and butt need the most work!

I was just updating my meal plan for the rest of the week and it's going to be a challenge. We are having a "goodbye" dinner at Chipotle for one of our friends who is moving to Seattle tonight. I looked up the nutrition and think I'll be ok if I stick to the chicken soft tacos, but even for that, it's 650 calories! :yikes:

On Friday, DH and I are going camping with a bunch of friends and I know it's going to be brats, chips, beer...you know. DH picked up all the food last night and he came home with the type of hashbrowns you get at McDonald's...ugh! Those things are so yummy.

To make matters worse, on Saturday we have a birthday party for DH's grandparents at Lonestar....and you know how it is... everything you want is everything that's not good for you! Not only that, my in-laws have some pretty bad eating habits. Every time we visit, I don't think we ever eat a meal at home, and with all of our family in town, I am sure it'll be the same story.

If I can just make it through the rest of the week..... :rolleyes:

queenjane
08-01-2007, 10:09 AM
We have our volunteer to start next week's post -- thanks Holly!

Ethereal: No, I am not doing fat smash. I was GOING to do fat smash, but I realized a few days in that restricting certain foods only makes me want them more, and so now I am just calorie counting and using fitday. 3 Fast Miles is the only WATP that has the music only option. That woman's yammering on and on drove me INSANE, but I can do it if I don't have to listen to her.

2F4MJ: Guts and Butts sounds killer! Let us know how it goes. I know how it is when you plan your meals and then unplanned things happen -- like eating out and eating in places with limited healthy choices. Do the best you can -- eat half portions -- and just know that being aware of the issues before hand will give you some power over your choices. And no matter what, you're probably going to eat healthier than you would have done before.

Yesterday was 1256 cals, decent nutrition and 27g fiber. Down 0.5 again today...must be all that sodium draining out of my system. Power was out at our house last night so lots of stuff didn't get done that needed to get done. Will be running around like a crazy woman today. Going to try to get to the gym again at lunch.

I did a my virtual model weight loss simulator today, though it doesn't look anything like me.

Have a great day!

--K

sonie
08-01-2007, 10:42 AM
good day all.

way to work it at the gym....and at home!!!:D

I walked at lunch yesterday....I only had 1/2 hour, but it was better than nothing. It is finally cooling in the evenings- so it is time to walk the dogs. I have 2 St. Bernards.... so that is an upper body work out too.

I love this site.. yesterday I jumped on and wasn't able to post and I feel like I miss out. (That is kind of funny.) did I tell you guys that I am a bit dorkey? hehe:dizzy:

I have to agree about the muscle under the fat. I was working out religiously and wasn't loosing any weight, but my clothes were fitting way better. I had to lighten up on the weights, though. (lighter weights and more reps- burn fat where heavy weights and few reps build muscle) The gym instructor told me to go until you just can't do any more.

Sticking to my eating plan. Everyone around me is doing WW. Have any of you tried that? I worry that after I lose the weight I will just gain it back... w/ extra. I have been rethinking the soda and have allowed myself one cherry diet pepsi a day. (for a diet soda, it is pretty good)

chat later~ Sonie

ps did the computer makeover- it was fun. I need to print the "after" and tape on the fridge.

sockmonkey70
08-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Gosh I let this week get away from me!

What's your weigh-in (if you care to share): 197.4....but it's TOM still

How'd you do on last week's goal (and remind us of what it was): Badly. I had a terrible week. We'll leave it at that.

What's your goal this week (it can be anything you choose): To try and take over the world...No..seriously...12-1400 calories, 4 days of exercise

They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and recent research shows that people who eat breakfast weigh less -- so, what do you usually eat for breakfast? A kashi bar and soy milk, or PBJ, or toast and jelly...it just depends!

katallan
08-01-2007, 11:26 AM
Good morning! I had a pretty good evening myself. I almost caved into my husbands cravings for a "pizzone". But when I called they were out and wouldn't have anymore till today. He settled for subway thank goodness! And I resisted the fresh baked just out of the oven cookies!!!!!!

Sonie - I know how you feel without the computer. I got mine fixed after weeks of doing without only to have the utility company cut the phone line at home! Hopefully that will be fixed by this weekend and I can talk at home instead of just during work breaks!

2Fat4myJeans
08-01-2007, 11:29 AM
I have to agree about the muscle under the fat. I was working out religiously and wasn't loosing any weight, but my clothes were fitting way better. I had to lighten up on the weights, though. (lighter weights and more reps- burn fat where heavy weights and few reps build muscle) The gym instructor told me to go until you just can't do any more.

I have heard that before. I go to a place similiar to Curves, and the weight training is essentially circuit training - but it's all resistance machines so the faster you go, the harder it gets. I was going in there with the attitude that I need to do as many reps as I can (which just makes it harder and I can't usually finish the set), but I'm wondering if I should go for a "slow and steady" approach - slower so that the resistance on the machine won't build, and so that I can finish the rep without my arms feeling like they're detaching from my body!

sockmonkey70
08-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Here's my virtual model...Goal set for 145.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/sockmonkey70/mvm.jpg

Ethereal
08-01-2007, 01:24 PM
*whistles at Mary* Both the before and after look good to me! ;)

About weight training: I've done some research on this, and I won't say the "less weight more reps" approach is a myth exactly, but it's definitely exaggerated. Most women don't have the hormones to bulk up, and those of us losing weight at a steady rate don't have enough calories to get really built even using high weight/low reps. Everything I've read indicated that you can't build any substantial amount of muscle without a calorie surplus, and guess what - we're all very busy creating a deficit so we can shed fat! :) Rest assured you won't need to worry about becoming grotesquely muscular unless you get a little visit from the testosterone fairy and up your calories to ~2500 - 5000 per day!

So for me, I work out just like a man. Roar? :lifter:

2Fat: Man, I miss Chipotle! I haven't been there in ages, but if I remember correctly they have the option of getting a normal "burrito," but in a bowl (without the wrap) instead. You could do that, and see if they have any to-go containers while you're still at the counter, then put half of the bowl into one before you start eating. You might not be terribly full at the end (drink LOTS of water/diet beverage to fill your tummy!) but you can have a piece of fruit or something before or after your dinner to fill in the spaces. Just an idea!

Sonie: I totally know what you mean. I bring my laptop to work so I can play on the internet when I'm not busy! :lol: I'm a huge dork. :D

2Fat4myJeans
08-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Oh Ethereal, I would marry a Chipotle chicken burrito if I could! I was just thinking about how hard it will be not to order the regular burrito this evening. Must...have...willpower!!!! That is good to know about the weight lifting. I should know that, too, since my DH lectures me all the time about how weight lifting will NOT make me bulk up, but give me definition while burning calories. By the way, I know we all complain about stretch marks - my DH actually has stretch marks on his biceps from when he lifted so much in high school. It's kind of gross but it makes me feel not so bad about my stretch marks!

Wowee - those are some smokin' hot bodies, queenjane and sockmonkey! What a great inspiration!

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n48/actofgrace/fatme.jpg http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n48/actofgrace/thinme.jpg

hahaha... I HOPE my boobs look that good/small when I reach my goal weight!

2Bthinagain
08-01-2007, 06:06 PM
Hey everyone. Sorry I've been MIA the last week or so. I was out of town last Wed thru Saturday, then had company here until just a little bit ago.
I am exhausted from taking them to the amusement park near us (Kings Island and Boomarang Bay water park)...we had toddlers out from 10am to almost 10pm 2 days in a row!
This past Friday (the 27th_ was my bday, which included cake. And another piece of cake. :(

I'm sorry. I also have not worked out since last Tuesday! ONE WEEK WITH NO WORK OUTS! My husband and my kids are going out of town in 2 days, they will be gone for FIVE days. :(
I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to work out. And just reflect on myself. I never take time for myself and this weight is affecting my mental health.
I thought I had a Dr appt this week. (We have only lived here about 7 months) so this is a new doctor. I made the appt 5 months ago, and called 1 month ago to find out again the exact date. Lost that piece of paper but knew it was this week, one day around 2pm. I called yesterday to confirm, and they have my name in the computer, but no appt! I am SOOOO mad.
I was really looking forward to having my thyroid checked and talking about other issues (like going thru menapause in my 30s). And if I need anti-dep. meds or not, (never have used them, but I think I need something).
So now I have to wait even longer to get in. I think the menapause contributes to the belly fat and how hard it is to get rid of.
Okay, whew. Sorry, LOOOONG post. But I haven't checked in since before we left town and wanted to stop in.
Keep up all the good work everyone!!!! ;)

Ethereal
08-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Sorry you're feeling bad, 2B, but glad to see you back. :) I hate it when medical offices mess up things like that (it's pretty important, you know!), but I imagine they must be so busy, and it must happen so rarely, that we can't help but let it go and just try to get the assistance we need. Good luck with that.

A late happy birthday! Don't fret TOO much over a tiny piece of indulgence on your birthday - you've started a new lifestyle and you have to let yourself sample the sweet things every now and again or there's no way a person can stay on track forever. Also, watching toddlers at amusement parks for two days straight can be considered a workout. :lol: It wasn't a scheduled workout, but at least you got out and moved. :yes:

Welcome back. :)

2Fat: I have a feeling mine are going to look substantially more deflated than your model's when I reach goal! :lol:

2Fat4myJeans
08-02-2007, 08:24 AM
I echo Ethereal, 2B - don't worry about a little indulgence every now and then. It's your birthday - you deserve it! That does bring up a good point, though. For so long I looked at dieting as an "all or nothing" approach - like I couldn't have ANY carbs or ANY sweets or I had to cut out ALL bad things and eat only bland food. When I began dieting back in March, I looked at it as an either/or situation. I could have chicken breast and veggies for dinner, and enjoy some skinny cow ice cream later, or I could eat fast food but not have anything else to eat during the day/evening and probably pay for it on the scale tomorrow. It was a much easier plan to stick with and one that produced long-lasting weight loss effects. When I say to myself "no food in X group," I just want it more and more until I cave in and indulge myself.

Well I survived Chipotle last night! :carrot: I ended up getting a burrito fajita bowl and ate about 75% of it. So I feel very successful. I am following the Wendie diet plan (calorie cycling) and today is my "light" day with tomorrow as my "heavy" day, since we will be camping. I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't blow it this weekend, no matter how tempted I am.

katallan
08-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Good morning!

Glad to see you back 2B and a late Happy Birthday! Don't beat yourself up over the cake! Remember we are working on a lifestyle change and we are all going to eat sweets and breads every once in while! :dizzy:

As for the doctors appointment, I think medical offices are required to mess up at least 5% of the appointments! I went for my gyn yearly visit a month ago only to find out that my doctor had moved out of town! All the receptionist would say was "Oh, I thought we called everyone to reschedule with one of the other doctors in the clinic" No I'm sorry you didn't get the message. No I'm sorry you took off work. Just "Everything is booked solid until the end of August. Would you like to make an appointment then?"

2F - Glad you survived Chipoltes! I have a hard time with eating out too!

Hope everyone has a great day! Keep up the good work.

queenjane
08-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Good morning!

I'm swamped at work prepping for next week's conference, so I won't be around much today (or next week for that matter). Going to just do the best I can with all that food around me next week. I'm back down to 206 -- where I was before last week happened! Maybe I can get to the gym a few times at the resort and be so busy I forget to eat! Also, I'm planning to eat half portions of anything I'm served -- it's the best plan I can think of given that I will mostly have no control over what is put in front of me. I can only control how much of it I eat (and have healthy snacks/backup food back in the room).

Happy Belated Birthday 2B!

As for the Dr. office...I had a late afternoon appointment one time and they stuck me in an examining room. After about 30 minutes, I peeked my head out (wearing one of their lovely gowns) and found that EVERYONE had gone home! My Dr. was still in her office, but she hadn't been told she had a patient waiting -- and there were no nurses, no office staff, no anyone (and this is a big office). I was lucky she was still there, otherwise I would've been locked in!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

katallan
08-03-2007, 09:57 AM
Good morning!

As for the Dr. office...I had a late afternoon appointment one time and they stuck me in an examining room. After about 30 minutes, I peeked my head out (wearing one of their lovely gowns) and found that EVERYONE had gone home! My Dr. was still in her office, but she hadn't been told she had a patient waiting -- and there were no nurses, no office staff, no anyone (and this is a big office). I was lucky she was still there, otherwise I would've been locked in!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

How horrible! I bet your doctor was mortified!

Hope you have a great time at the resort. Hopefully the food won't be too bad for your diet and hopefully you won't be too stressed out! I don't know what kind of work conference it is, but some of the ones I have been to make you want to pull all your hair out!

Now then, where is everybody else?

2Fat4myJeans
08-03-2007, 11:23 AM
Helloooo everyone.... happy Friday! :carrot:

Today is one of those days that I am absolutel ravenous, it seems. When it's TOM, it seems like I am hungry non-stop. It's killing me knowing there are donuts in the kitchen....

I am feeling pretty confident about this upcoming weekend's food challenges. I sent out DH for more camping food last night and he came back with some low-fat, low-cal goodies. None of our other friends that we are camping with are bakers or natural chefs, so I don't think there will be too many temptations tonight. I got on Lonestar's website and found a great healthy option on their menu, so I feel very good about that. DH's family likes to eat out brunch on Sunday mornings, though, and that could spell disaster...

Jane - good luck with your conference! That would be awesome if the resort had a gym. Have fun!

I'm shooting for 40 minutes working out today...it's so tempting to not go, but I NEED to.

Ethereal
08-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Hello everyone!

2Fat: Way to research/prepare! It seems really daunting at first to face things like dinners out at high-fat restaurants with friends, or trips from home, but I personally think with a little forethought and preparation it's a lot harder to go wrong! Good job. :)

Sooo glad it's Friday. I've recently become involved in another forum - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/ - because my hair is down to my tailbone, and I LOVE hair, but it's in poor condition right now. The community reminds me a lot of this one, but in regards to growing long, healthy hair rather than losing weight. I've bought some supplies and am going to be trying some crazy, natural concoctions on my hair this weekend! :carrot: I can't wait.

First up? A moisturizing treatment with aloe, honey, and conditioner!

sockmonkey70
08-03-2007, 04:34 PM
I have been to that site before Ethereal..It has a TON of good tips. My hair isn't as long as yours, but it is getting there LOL.

QueenJane that is so terrible! Sounds like the kind of luck I have :rofl:

2Bthinagain
08-03-2007, 08:03 PM
Queen that is too funny about being there when all the staff had gone home!
I have not yet called to reschedule my appt.
Now - confession time -- girls I've been a slacker since my Bday. I had stayed away from the scale for 2 weeks prior and have avoided it since the cake, which was just the start of bad habits again.
I caught an show today called "10 years younger", if people put me in a booth I wonder how old they'd think I was? 10 years older? Probably.
I know being fat is no excuse to dress like a schlep but I'm not comfortable in ANYTHING. Around the house it's the same old sweat shirt /sweat pants, I hate wearing shorts, even in summer...when I must leave the house with kids I wear kaki capris or capri workout pants. Nothing looks good on me.
I'm in the mood for a makeover!!!! My friends always say getting your hair done and dressing up always makes us feel better.
With the family out of town (hubby and kids left this morning), I didn't hardly budge today. Miss them so much. Yet I have the next 5 days to do anything I want without interruption.
Okay yes so this post has turned into a ME ME ME and not supporting any of you. Congrats to all of you on your success and I apologize my posts are always so down. I'm in a funk, what can I say? I'll snap out of it. Perhaps not until I reach WONDERland (199 or less).
Oh well, Happy Friday everyone!

Ethereal
08-04-2007, 12:09 AM
Mary: A little off-topic, but I LOVE your new avvy pic! Wow - your other shots were all abstract and cropped, which I can appreciate artistically, but why would you wanna hide that face? So pretty!

2B: Aw, sorry you're in a "funk" lately. My advice? Fix yourself something really nutritious AND sublimely delicious, sit down, and while you're eating, picture all the things you can wear and do when you reach your goal weight. Shorts, skirts, gowns, you name it! Cute hairstyles and accessories? You earned 'em! You need some motivation, it sounds like, and not much motivates me more than thinking of how comfortable I will be in smaller, more stylish clothes, and how I'll look FORWARD to shopping/haircuts/going out instead of dreading it.

Just remember not to punish yourself for what's done. You want this for life, so just get up and keep going. :)

sockmonkey70
08-04-2007, 12:17 AM
LOL Ethereal thanks so much. My face is so manly. I usually try to hide the prodominance of my buttchin with all of the "crops" and such LOL. I liked the way my hair looked though(I am a vain creature).

So I got bored today and decided to dye my hair. I picked out a deep burgandy. My current hair color is a VERY dark brown (close to my natural color), which was dyed black a few months ago but has faded. Well I forgot the fact that my roots would take to the color alot better than the rest of my hair..And I also forgot to get a second box of dye (my hair is really long and I need two). So I have bright purple roots and a kinda purple shine to my otherwise black hair....Soooo I guess I will wait a month and just go back to black *sigh*

I have always wanted one of those really cool hair colors gggrrrrrrrr.

Ethereal
08-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Have you considered henna, Mary? (Sorry in advance if you already know all this!) New territory for me, but what sounds so great about it is that it actually IMPROVES hair, makes it stronger by sending molecules into the shaft and makes it smoother by filling in the little gaps that occur naturally. You can make almost any shade of red -> brown -> black by mixing henna with indigo.

For black, you just do normal red henna all over (would be interesting to see how your roots came out! ;) ), then after you wash it out, do indigo all over. For brown, you mix the henna and indigo together in differing parts, depending on what results you want.

Just a warning, henna is permanent, just like permanent dye, only it's healthier. There are ways to strip it but it's a pain.

I think I'm too shy to be a redhead, not to mention not seksi yet, but I think I am going to go red as a reward/motivator for weightloss, and because it's been a long time since I tried red in my hair (over a decade). I too have different roots than my length, though, so I'm collecting a hair sample before I do ANYTHING. :lol:

And your face is not manly! :p My buttchin wants to be friends with your buttchin. :D

sockmonkey70
08-04-2007, 02:25 PM
I have never tried henna. Where would I find it? I hate to keep damaging my hair with all these ammonia based dyes if I can find a better alternative. My only worry is that the color would be completely flat.

2Bthinagain
08-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Man it took my comptuer forever to get to this page. Ugh!
Anyway, interesting reading about the coloring hair. 2 years ago I had mine colored red. My kids have red hair and I was sick of people asking 'where do they that hair?'. Now it's back to natural ...(brown/auburn) and I am tired of paying salons 120 to color my hair, yet I dont' have the nerve to try it at home. I think that's awesome that you guys have tried & are so care free about it.

New Question -- do any of you take any vitamins or supplementss? I forget to take my vitamin all the time. And I bought some B12 tablets a few months ago but have not taken any. I keep reading about fish oil or flax seed, and am confused over what we REALLY need to take. Any tips??? :?:

sockmonkey70
08-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Ummmm...I remember to take my multi-vitamin about once a week LOL. It's the Wal-Mart brand Diet Smart Multi Vitamin..Some people have said it burns their stomach, but I have never had a problem with it.

Ethereal
08-05-2007, 04:03 AM
2B: I take my multivitamin every day, and just started taking another "Hair, Skin & Nails" vitamin as well as nettle supplements (for my hair). I also take Fiber Choice +Calcium every morning. Fish oil/flax oil is a source of healthy fats, which a lot of people (me included!) don't get enough of. I don't know everything they do, but I believe they're connected to lowering cholesterol or reducing the risk of heart disease or something similar, plus they're good for your skin/hair/etc.

I bought some flax oil (not the pill kind), but haven't used it much yet. I'm waiting for the blender I ordered to arrive in the mail, then I'll be adding some to my smoothies to make them smooth and creamy, and get a healthy dose of "good" fat as well.

Mary: Try this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1009186) link for all the info and more you could ever want about henna. Feel free to ask any questions, too, here or there. :)

2Bthinagain
08-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Ethereal - thanks for the info on the fish oil, adding it to smoothies is a great idea.
My guys are still out of town...until Tuesday night.
It's so odd being here alone. But I want to focus on my shopping list for once, and not write it in a hurry, usualluy focusing on what to get for the kids.
I want to try making smoothies, but I am such a picky eater. I hope I can find a good pineapple, banana type. Those are my favorite fruits. I don't do berries of any type very well.
I also need to find out how to get more veggies in. My salad stuff gets so limp so quick, I've tried the head of lettuce and I've tried the salad in a bag, after a few days it seems yucky. I need green beans or something? Cucumber? I don't know.
Here is the start of a better week (I hope) for me! I know I fell off the wagon and I am prepared to get back on, I've already had 16 oz of water today (it's noon) and that is a big deal for me. :)

2Fat4myJeans
08-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Hi everyone! I don't have much time but I wanted to check in.

I don't take a multivitamin, but I do take a B-complex vitamin every day, as well as Vitamin C, magnesium, potassium, calcium and flax oil. I take the flax oil plus a baby aspirin every day for a blood clotting disorder, but I've noticed the B-complex vitamin helps a LOT with my mood as well as my metabolism and energy. I used to crash every afternoon once I got home from work but now I want to be up and moving around.

Well this weekend...hmm. I did well with the camping - only one brat, a few baked chips and a Smirnoff. Saturday we took an hour-long hike, but I really crashed and burned at Lonestar. Didn't end up getting my grilled chicken, instead a had shrimp skewer and steak medallions, which doesn't sound that bad but I'm pretty sure the shrimp was cooked in butter. I did opt for the steamed veggies and stuck to water, but I had a little too much of their onion blossom!

Today we went to brunch and I had a veggie omelet, but I'm counting it a victory because this entire weekend, I stopped before I stuffed myself. :D

sonie
08-06-2007, 12:04 AM
Hi everyone. Hope you all had a positive week. Mind and body...

2 Fat4~ I saw that you take a baby asprin for blood clot. I had surgery for a huge one about 8 years ago. They never said anything about asprin. I was on heprin and cumadin for a year after and all through my next pregnancy. Also, do you really think that B complex is really that good? ( I am not vitamin savy...) I feel like I have the slowest metabolism ever, and I am crabby and tired alot. Maybe I should try it.

Got to run.

Big :bravo: to those who have met their goals this week.

Chat in the morning.
Sonie

Ethereal
08-06-2007, 02:13 AM
Yay, I exercised 6 times this week! I ate well, too, though today I had a lot of sodium (dumb, day before weigh-in!) and not enough water. Kind of scared to weigh in in the morning because TOM is here. :o

sockmonkey70
08-06-2007, 04:51 AM
I am sure you'll be fine Ethereal :) Just push your weigh in forward another day!

2Fat4myJeans
08-06-2007, 08:23 AM
Hi everyone. Hope you all had a positive week. Mind and body...

2 Fat4~ I saw that you take a baby asprin for blood clot. I had surgery for a huge one about 8 years ago. They never said anything about asprin. I was on heprin and cumadin for a year after and all through my next pregnancy. Also, do you really think that B complex is really that good? ( I am not vitamin savy...) I feel like I have the slowest metabolism ever, and I am crabby and tired alot. Maybe I should try it.

Got to run.

Big :bravo: to those who have met their goals this week.

Chat in the morning.
Sonie

Hi Sonie,

I haven't had a blood clot but when doing routine blood tests about 2 years ago, my doc discovered I have a Protein C deficiency which makes my blood clot easier. She told me to take omega 3/6 and a baby aspirin every day to help prevent one. When I visited my gyno last week, we discussed me wanting to get pregnant in the future and she said I may have to go on blood thinners during pregnancy. Problem is, you usually have to miscarry to see if it's related to the blood disorder before they'll put you on meds. I am scared to death of getting one and 1) dying from it, obviously, and 2) having to be on meds the rest of my life. :(

About the B-complex, I really do think it makes a differnece for sure with my mood and all around mental health. I am on bc pills and the estrogen will naturally deplete your B vitamins, so I just supplement it with the B-complex. It is a water soluable vitamin so you can't overdose on it, and any excess you just urinate out. :D It's also supposed to help with your metabolism, and I notice that when I take it, I just have all-around more energy!

2Bthinagain
08-06-2007, 12:44 PM
How do you know if you have a blood clot? What were your symptoms?
I have had this tightness around the back of my left knee off and on for a while, when it is acting up I have to put my leg up, and I limp if I'm out walking, it just sort of comes and goes. Feels like someone is squeezing me around my knee, but only hurts on the back of the knee.
Again, it just comes and goes.
Love hearing what all everyone is taking, now i'm off to take my multi vitamin before I forget!

2Fat4myJeans
08-06-2007, 12:55 PM
How do you know if you have a blood clot? What were your symptoms?
I have had this tightness around the back of my left knee off and on for a while, when it is acting up I have to put my leg up, and I limp if I'm out walking, it just sort of comes and goes. Feels like someone is squeezing me around my knee, but only hurts on the back of the knee.
Again, it just comes and goes.
Love hearing what all everyone is taking, now i'm off to take my multi vitamin before I forget!

Hi 2B! I'm sure Sonie can give you a better description of symptoms, but I hope this helps!

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/blood_clot_in_the_legs/page3_em.htm#Leg%20Blood%20Clot%20Symptoms

katallan
08-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Hi guys. Just catching up on the weekends posts! I had a pretty good weekend and actually lost another 2 pounds last week!

I have to say that I love both of my SIL's! They are the only ones who have noticed and commented on my weight loss. It just gave me that extra boost to keep on going and not give up!

2B - Glad you are getting back on the wagon. As someone who has fallen off many times, I have to say the ride is much better on than off! I am taking a multivitamin also.

Mary - I made the mistake of changing hair color last year and turned mine very cooper red! ( My hair is medium brown) I called the 1-800 number on the back of the box and they told me how to fix it. I didn't have to wait 4 weeks!

Have a great day!

PS -Has the new thread gotten started yet?

hotmama2three
08-06-2007, 05:08 PM
Hey Girls,
checking in. I was on 'vacation' all last week w/ the family. I think I read that someone was appointed to post the new thread. However, she could be unexpectedly busy; I think it would be fine for someone else to start a new weeks' thread.

I'm excited to report I've finally lost 2 pounds and while away from home. Ordinarily, I gain 3 - 6 lbs just from eating out so I'm doubly grateful I showed a loss.

If by this evening no one has bitten on posting a new thread I'll try to.

Hugs, Sherin

2Bthinagain
08-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Katallan - I agree, it is much better ON the wagon , that is for sure.
With all my aches & pains lately I am much more into this than ever.
I'm just afraid to get on the scale, anyone else afraid to get on?

Hotmama- woo hoo on your weight loss !

hotmama2three
08-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Thanks 2B!! :flow1: