LA Weight Loss - 07/30/07 New Alli Thread, Support Each Other Here!!!

StillTryin
07-30-2007, 08:18 AM
Good Monday morning to all. Sounds like we all had a super week. While none of us is perfect, we are all sure trying to be 100% on plan with Alli. I am honored to be part of this super group and I hope we can all keep up the great support of each other and keep up with our losses!

GOOD LUCK ON ANOTHER FABULOUS WEEK ALL YOU ALLI-Cats, and ALLI-gators!!!!

ThinGirl in FatBody
07-30-2007, 08:28 AM
Good Monday morning everyone.... the countdown is on for me, in 2 days I'll be eating in restaurants. I have to admit I'm nervous of losing it and pigging out. I've told my daughter to watch me like a hawk and remind me of how important losing the weight is. (she's 13 and loves to nag me)

Have a good day everyone!

ThinGirl in FatBody
07-30-2007, 08:34 AM
At the end of the old thread, NICKLES posted this

Hello,

I've been reading your posts for a few days trying to decided whether I'm going to take Alli or not. You all sound like you're doing great and that inspires me, but the thought of the TE's makes me really nervous...
The thought of not being able to control my bowels is very daunting. On the other hand the potential to lose weight is very appealing.
Has anyone had a few cocktails while taking Alli and did it cause any TE's? Would you say the weight lost is worth the risks? :?:

Thanks for your input in making my decision!

Hi NICKELS077 ~ welcome to the Alli thread! :)

The TE's will only happen if you overdue the fat in your meals - don't overdue it and they WILL NOT occur.

I went to a party the other night and had 2 drinks, I was fine. Alcohol does not cause treatment effects, excess fat does. I think you should pick up a starter kit and give it a try :hug:

MetalChic
07-30-2007, 10:03 AM
Hello all...

My name is Karen, I'm 33.

Two years ago I lost 90lbs on LAWL... I went from an 18 to an 8...:)

Shortly after, I was in a car accident. All of the stress, anxiety, depression, and medication associated with the accident has packed back on 40lbs. :(

No matter what I do, I can't lose any weight. :?:

I have thought about Alli, and I've even thought about asking the doctor to prescribe Xenical.

What kind of success/problems have you had with Alli?

Thanks Bunches! K

Hun.e.B
07-30-2007, 11:25 AM
Good Monday Morning alligators! I've got some catching up to do this morning everyone was so chatty yesterday! Sounds to me like everyone is doing GREAT!! Congrats to those of you losing!!! I'm very excited for you!! :bravo:

I had another off weekend, I definetly have not committed to myself! I think the problem is that I dont pay any consequences for sticking to plan. I never have TEs no matter what I eat or do. So I've got a theory that I would really appreciate your help in testing. Could everyone just answer one question for me: Did you eat lowfat 2 - 3 days before starting Alli? And do you have TEs? Thanks for your help on my little experiment!

I'm going to kick up exercise bigtime this week. I'm out of coffee this morning so I'm going to go ride my bike to the store to get some instead of driving! I hope everyone is ready to have a wonderful monday!!

Thingirl....its almost time for Orlando!! I'm so jealous!!

Laurelle
07-30-2007, 11:30 AM
My official weigh-in day is tomorrow, so I hope the scale is down - it's been up and down all week. I lost 2.5 pounds last week.

I have to say, I have TEs nearly all the time, so I think some people are just luckier than others. I keep to a low-fat diet (I aim to keep my fat grams under 40 a day, although some days it's closer to 50 grams) and I eat plenty of fruits and veggies. I had TEs pretty early on (on the second day) and at the very least, I'm usually pretty gassy. I only had the orange oil once, but I have the "gotta go RIGHT NOW!" episodes a couple times a week. Which may be a combo of the Alli and fiber, but I don't know. I've always had an iffy stomach, so that may play a role, too.

So, just wanted to mention that so people know that their mileage may vary. If you're the type of person who's not quite on track yet and still eats lots of fried or fatty foods, I would recommend not even trying Alli yet - I can't imagine what that would do!

ETA: I just checked my FitDay, and last week I averaged around 25 fat grams per day. I rarely have any fat during breakfast, it's usually lunch which has a little, and dinner which has the most fat grams.

StillTryin
07-30-2007, 11:49 AM
I did not do the low fat for 2-3 days before trying, and for the first 2-3 weeks I was definately not low fat, I watched what I ate, but I wasnt as diligent as I am now. I did have TE's during that time. Now for the last 2 weeks, maybe 2.5 weeks I have not had 1 single TE and I have been more careful about what I eat. So I can honestly say I am not "dieting" but I am watching everything I put in my mouth more closely and I find I am making much better food choices because I am trying to avoid TE's.

dcapulet
07-30-2007, 11:55 AM
I was eating lowfat for about a week before alli. I had no TE's at first. Now, they seem to hit me maybe 2 days after the high-fat meal. So I may think I'm ok, but I may not be. My only alternative is to really stick within the fat grams. I seem to go way over or way under. This week is about making a better balance.

Ravisa
07-30-2007, 12:15 PM
I'm back from the beach! Had a great time, but definitely didn't eat right. But, I'm back on track today and hope to at least break even by my Friday weigh in.

NRyker - my reward if I lose all the weight is a breast lift (maybe even a reduction).

Good job on the weight losses everyone! ThinGirl, you are doing great. Have fun in Orlando!

StillTryin
07-30-2007, 12:22 PM
OMG ThinGirl, I just noticed your leaving in 4 days!!!! I hope you have a SUPER time! I took my 2 older kids to Disneyworld 2 years ago and we had a BLAST!!! In another 2 years we are going back!
SO have fun for all of us here!

Ethereal
07-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Hi Hun.e.B., I only use alli when eating out or ordering in restaurant food, and while that's not often, sometimes the food is high in fat content (pizza) and I was extremely disappointed when I had no TEs. Then, I went to Olive Garden and had a salad and minestrone soup, and my "wish" was granted. :lol: So I've had the oil spots once, and for eating Olive Garden's yummiest-on-the-planet salad dressing.

I was eating low-fat before I took it, and aside from eating out, still eat only 12 - 18% of my daily calories from fat.

Hun.e.B
07-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Well here was my thinking, I didnt eat lowfat before starting Alli, so I wondered if maybe one of the keys to it working was that you ate lowfat the first few days to get the fat out of your system...not just to avoid TEs but so your body would be ready to deal with the Alli vs. fat. But apparently thats not the case. Just a theory. I'm gonna keep jugging away, I think with picking up on the exercise the more days I get under my belt of doing healthy things the less apt I'm gonna be to even want to eat the junk.

Thanks for your input guys...it really helped!

Ravisa
07-30-2007, 01:01 PM
I was at the beach with my family and my parents and little sister. My mom is also taking Alli. I didn't take Alli at the beach, but she did. We both ate anything we wanted. She had SEVERE TE's and was running to the bathroom constantly. Hopefully it was worth it for her.

Just got back from a 30-minute walk with my son. I've got to get more exercise.

NICKLES077
07-30-2007, 01:38 PM
ThinGirl- Thank you for moving my post to the new thread. Being new to this I'm having a bit of a learning curve. Also thanks for the answers. I think I'm going to take your advice an give it a try. What have I got to lose besides weight.

NRyker
07-30-2007, 01:56 PM
OMG...
Everyone gets so chatty at the beginning of a new thread...
I can't keep up! LOL... At the end of last thread I actually was able to congratulate a few people on their weight loss. I will get better.
I think I am having some of my Fibro Fog Head...

Thin Girl...from last thread...
Have a great trip...I found I had a better time on my trip while staying on plan and doing the Alli. It felt so refreshing to get good positive energy from the food I ate vs. feeling Yuck from bad food choices! I felt smaller and more confident just making good food choices.

Actually the above is true for every day life.

For Me:
Goal of the Week:
Cut down more on my soda pop addiction (baby steps)
Do 1800 calories or less per day (no after dinner muching on baked chips/hot tamales)
Drink a lot of water and keep active with fun activities and lifetime choice activities!

Still Tryin'....thanks for maintaining the thread and starting the new ones!!! :D

katallan
07-30-2007, 02:20 PM
OMG...
Everyone gets so chatty at the beginning of a new thread...
I can't keep up! LOL... At the end of last thread I actually was able to congratulate a few people on their weight loss. I will get better.
I think I am having some of my Fibro Fog Head...
:D

LOL - I feel this way too! With dailup at home ( DSL not available in the boonies!) and limited at work it takes me forever to catch up on everyone's posts!

Hope you have a great time at Orlando Thin girl! Eating out is hard, but you can manage!

Melissa - I was eating low fat/low carb before I started Alli. However that has not kept me from TE when I overindulge with the fat intake. My doctor had told me to take 2 at meal times so it would be the same strength as Xenical. ( Alli is cheaper ) But I honestly don't think I could manage with that strong a dose! Guess it just affects us all differently!

I have found that the TE takes anywhere from 12-24 hours to appear after I have indulged:(. It is not immediate for me!

I noticed in the other thread everyone was talking about breakouts. I had not thought about my breakouts being because of Alli, but now that it has been mention I am having that type breakout also. Especially in the T-zone. I will have to wait and see if it continues.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Blazesyth
07-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Hello,

Newbie here! Not so newbie to Alli, though! I've been taking Alli for a month now, and I've lost 22 pounds so far. I've been losing about 6 pounds a week, but last week was TOM so I only lost 4 pounds.

I have only had 1 treatment effect so far, and I'm not really quite sure why - I thought I was under my fat grams.. I am thinking I miscounted or something was mislabeled. Overall I am very happy with Alli!

Hope to talk to all of you soon!

cygnss
07-30-2007, 04:10 PM
Hi Blazesyth! -

We both have the same icon! I'm pretty new too! Wow, 22 pounds in 1 month. Are you following the alli plan exactly? Do you eat the amount of calories and fat that they recommend at each meal? Just wondering.

I had a set back with some illnesses in my family, but started alli again today and hope to do well. I had lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks and I was excited!

Anyway, just wanted to say welcome and be a little nosey! LOL ~~sheila

Brightside
07-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Hi Everyone! You probably don't remember me...I wrote in a couple of weeks ago - I was at Target and too embarassed to buy Alli for fear I'd run into someone that knows me (I always see people I know at Target). Even though I didn't buy Alli, I started watching my calories and trying to eat low-fat. Finally bought Alli this morning (Costco) and I decided there's no time like today to start. I also didn't want to give myself permission to eat crazy for a couple of days and push my start date back even further.

Since I've been lurking in your thread for weeks, I'm hoping that the threat of TEs will give my willpower a good kick-in-the-rear (eww, excuse the pun:p). Especially after reading that the effects of Alli can stay in your system for 48 hours!:o I think reading about everyone's side effects; from headaches, to a sudden appearance of TOM, helped me make an informed decision.

What an awesome group you all are! I'm looking forward to sharing this journey with you!

bobbigene
07-30-2007, 07:24 PM
Great hearing that everyone is doing really well. I had my first major TE on Sunday. I had forgotten that for dinner on Friday I went totally berserk and had 3 hot dogs - real ones, not low fat. That on top of the tres leches cake that was for a birthday and it hit be big time on Sunday. It's strange, but there have been other times when I've gone way over my fat grams and nothing happens. Wonder why this time it kicked in so much. Good thing I didn't go to the grocery store first thing as I had planned. Could have been just a tich embarrassing! :o

Well back to following a low fat meal plan!

ThinGirl in FatBody
07-30-2007, 08:13 PM
My name is Karen,
What kind of success/problems have you had with Alli?

Hi Karen! welcome to the Alli thread. I have been taking it for about a month now, before Alli I was losing approx 2lbs a week, with Alli I am losing about 3lbs a week.

I haven't had any problems other then about 4 or 5 headaches the first few weeks, and some zits we think might be Alli related, but I'm not sure.

Did you eat lowfat 2 - 3 days before starting Alli? And do you have TEs? Thanks for your help on my little experiment!
yes, I was already eating low fat when I started Alli, I had no TE's at all
Thingirl....its almost time for Orlando!!

I know! I'm so excited :dizzy:

I have to say, I have TEs nearly all the time,

Okay, what do you mean by TE's? when I think TE I am thinking about the orange oil floating in the toilet. Maybe you mean something else? like the runs? It's hard to believe you are having lots of oil at 25 grams a day.

ThinGirl, you are doing great. Have fun in Orlando!

Thanks. Ravisa :)

OMG ThinGirl, I just noticed your leaving in 4 days!!!! I hope you have a SUPER time! I took my 2 older kids to Disneyworld 2 years ago and we had a BLAST!!! In another 2 years we are going back!
SO have fun for all of us here!

Thanks StillTryin, actually it is in 2 days! (I forgot to change my siggie :cool:-our flight is Wednesday evening. We love Disney too, but this time we are doing Universal which is a little bit different and loads of fun.

ThinGirl- Thank you for moving my post to the new thread. Being new to this I'm having a bit of a learning curve. Also thanks for the answers. I think I'm going to take your advice an give it a try. What have I got to lose besides weight.

Good luck NICKLES, you really have nothing to lose... except 2 or 3 pounds a week :carrot: Let us know how it's going.

OMG...
Thin Girl...from last thread...
Have a great trip...I found I had a better time on my trip while staying on plan and doing the Alli. It felt so refreshing to get good positive energy from the food I ate vs. feeling Yuck from bad food choices! I felt smaller and more confident just making good food choices.

Thanks NRyker, that is a really good point. Usually when I'm on holiday I eat so much crap I am dragging myself around, maybe this time I'll have lots of energy and feel better :)

Blazesyth
07-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Hi Blazesyth! -
Are you following the alli plan exactly? Do you eat the amount of calories and fat that they recommend at each meal? Just wondering.

Anyway, just wanted to say welcome and be a little nosey! LOL ~~sheila

Hi there,
Thanks for the welcome!
I definetly follow the fat recommendations for each meal to avoid the dreaded TE's, but for calories during the day I just make sure that I'm under the daily limit but I'll have a very small breakfast (less than 100 calories) but then I'll have more calories at dinner. If I remember exactly from the book it was more broken up to eat more througout the day, but I'm not a big breakfast eater so it didn't make sense for me.

Brightside
07-31-2007, 08:13 AM
Two quick questions: Do any of you take fish oil capsules along with your Alli? I take a fish oil capsule + a flax seed oil capsule in the morning and just before bed (my cholesterol dropped 30 points in 90 days!). I'm assuming I just count the fat grams in each capsule?

Second question: Any TE related to SPLENDA? I normally have a packet of Splenda in my tea and my plain yogurt. I'd rather not find out the hard way!
Thanks!!

ThinGirl in FatBody
07-31-2007, 08:28 AM
Hi Brightside, Splenda is fine - the only TE's are when you consume too much fat.

StillTryin
07-31-2007, 09:19 AM
Yeah, I agree, I have Splenda every morning in my coffee and have had no TE's because of that. I would count the total fat in the fish oil caps, I think I would also take them at night, since that is when you are supposed to take your vitamin supplement while on Alli. I think there is less chance of the Alli having a great effect on the fish oil that way.

MetalChic
07-31-2007, 09:28 AM
Hi Karen! welcome to the Alli thread. I have been taking it for about a month now, before Alli I was losing approx 2lbs a week, with Alli I am losing about 3lbs a week.

I haven't had any problems other then about 4 or 5 headaches the first few weeks, and some zits we think might be Alli related, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the welcome!

3lbs a week sounds great. Are you taking one with each meal (3 per day)?

I'm not too prone to zits. The only time I usually get one is when it's TOM, then it's only one. I do have migraines, which could be a problem if headaches is a side effect. I already have a huge problem with them now. It wasn't too bad until I had that stupid car accident! I went from about one per week to three to four per week. I've also been having one everyday when it's TOM.

I need to do something... I found out my cholesterol was high about two and a half months ago so I started watching what I was eating even closer than I already was. It just pisses me off that almost everything I eat/have been eating is reduced calorie and reduced fat.

The medicines that the doctor has me on for my migraines and the whiplash that I am suffering with makes me retain water and makes me quesy so I want to eat more often to keep from getting the headaches and to settle my stomach.

I've been eating low-fat, reduced-calorie snacks, but it seems that it doesn't matter what I eat I'm either maintaining or gaining weight. I weighed about 150 when I had the accident because it was the day after Christmas - holiday food :T. Now I weigh 183 :(.

I married a little over six months after the accident, and I was extremely worried that I wouldn't be able to wear my wedding dress - small size 12 - because I had already gained 10lbs; but it did fit. It seems that I've gained about 10lbs every six months since the wreck, and I don't eat like I did before I lost the weight.

I eat very little, if any, fast food. I try to limit my eating out, and when I do I choose carefully. I eat reduced-fat cheese, light wheat bread, low-fat crackers, lean cuts of meat, skinless/boneless chicken breast, lean cusines, vegetables, fruit, fish, etc.

I'm just frustrated... :?:

Laurelle
07-31-2007, 09:51 AM
ThinGirl - Forgive me if this is TMI, but here goes: I guess my TEs are more like either a lot of poop, or an "assplosion" as my friend likes to call them. I don't have them every day but I pretty much expect them after eating anything with at least 5 grams of fat. For example, I had 5 olives with dinner last week, and the TE came on rather quickly after that.

I've only had two occassions where I thought I was going to fart and it was more than that, and that was pretty scary!

So now that you all know about my pooping habits... :o

Brightside
07-31-2007, 10:19 AM
Laurelle: 5 olives! OMG! How could that be?!! By the way - love the expression "assplosion" - just don't want to experience it!

StillTryin
07-31-2007, 10:34 AM
I have to agree "assplosion"...lol we have to adopt that one...

I never had any TE's until like 24-36 hours after I ate higher fat food than I was supposed to have. Of course, I am prone to being constipated 99% of the time so maybe that is why.?

Laurelle
07-31-2007, 11:23 AM
Feel free to use "assplosion" as much as you would like!

I think I'm just a delicate flower when it comes to certain foods...I rarely eat fried foods because they don't agree with me, so maybe my digestive system is just more sensitive to the Alli. I'm just making sure I'm getting all my vitamins, since I have no idea if I'm losing any essential nutrients.

debalina
07-31-2007, 11:57 AM
I have a lot going on in my life now - stress and such - but I'm remembering to take my alli and watching what I ate and it must be working. I've lost weight. My mind is on my problems so much and not food. I also suprised I'm not eating my stress away. Alli has changed my way of thinking and I'm happy about that!

One way or another how I lose weight, I'm losing! :carrot:

Ethereal
07-31-2007, 12:42 PM
Karen,

I'm really sorry to hear you were in such a bad accident. I was in my first car accident recently and even though nobody was hurt, my boyfriend's Eclipse was totalled completely. I'm suffering from a little anxiety when driving now, and a little more when anyone else is driving. I keep feeling a car crushing into us any time were out in an intersection, or open/exposed. It doesn't consume my thoughts any time outside the car or anything, but I get pretty scared/paranoid sometimes. :o

I have heard that there's a direct link between stress and a LOT of physical problems, such as headaches and weight gain/retention. I'm sorry if you've answered this already, but do you do anything to unwind daily? Quiet time, or soft music, or a bubble bath or yoga/meditation/etc? It seems strange, but after such a traumatic time it may be what you need to get your body back on track.

I'm sorry I don't have anymore advice for you, aside from the usual "kick up the diet/exercise" (which may not be what you need). Keep at it, though! Alli should help.

dcapulet
07-31-2007, 12:48 PM
just checking in to see how everyone is doing. I'm tweaking my diet a bit to try and get in the 1800 cals a day. With WW, i don't seem to be eating enough. So we'll see if this works. I want to see some weight loss this week!

Hun.e.B
07-31-2007, 01:06 PM
Good morning alligators!! or afternoon for some of you!! It so fantastic to see so many new faces :welcome: You'll absolutely love it here! I about shot my mocha out my nose this morning reading about "assplosions" LOL...love it!!

My goal this week is to pick up the exercise more and yesterday was a success I had 2 bikerides. I was supposed to do my elliptical a bit while watching my soaps yesterday but I ended up chatting with a friend instead.

TOM has been visiting this weekend and I'd have to say its definetly different than other months, generally I have cramps the first day and thats it, this month its been every single day. Not sure if thats Alli related or just the heat but its interesting to me.

Off to mow the lawn! Have a fantastic day everyone!!!

Ant Bee
07-31-2007, 01:36 PM
Hi All(i): Has anyone else been using the nutrition log on the alli site? I have from the start and it has really helped me. It's fun because I can see what I've done right and what I need to work on. It lets me view a meal-by-meal tabulation, a daily one, and the ability to look back at the previous seven days.

I used to feel guilty if I ate something that satisfied me and tasted good because I'd assume it was blowing my diet, leading me to give up/pig out. But after accounting for what I ate, I've been able to enjoy food again! It's retraining me to know the nutritional values of food so I can make good choices.

Just wondering if anyone else was using it - it's sure works for me! :)
Now, if I would only add some exercise...sigh...

-Bren

7 day average:
Calories: 1,230 Goal: 1600
Calories from Fat: 280 Goal: 490
Total Fat g: 32g Goal: 54g
Saturated Fat g: 11g Goal: <= 18g
Cholesterol mg: 140mg Goal: < 300mg
Sodium mg: 2,900mg Goal: < 2400mg
Total Carbohydrate g: 165g Goal: 180 - 260g
Dietary Fiber g: 13g Goal: >= 25g
Protein g: 60g Goal: 40 - 140g
Vitamin C %: 60% Goal: 100%
Calcium %: 110% Goal: 100%
Iron %: 80% Goal: 100%

Key:
Borderline
Not within target range
Within target range

PS I take a pill 3x/day, with each meal, no matter the fat. If I didn't, there'd be times I'd forget to take it/get out of the habit, PLUS it would make it too easy to skip a meal...a no-no. It's a simple regimen.

Brightside
07-31-2007, 02:20 PM
Since I'm new at this...do most people take 3 pills a day, or go meal by meal as needed? I agree with Ant Bee, if I don't take a pill with each meal I'm afraid I would forget...trying to make it habit.

katallan
07-31-2007, 02:27 PM
Since I'm new at this...do most people take 3 pills a day, or go meal by meal as needed? I agree with Ant Bee, if I don't take a pill with each meal I'm afraid I would forget...trying to make it habit.

I normally take it for lunch and supper. Breakfast usually doesn't contain enough fat to warrant taking it for me.

I have to admit, I was laughing too at the "assplosions". Very elequantly put!

NRyker
07-31-2007, 02:35 PM
Hi All(i):
I take a pill 3x/day, with each meal, no matter the fat. If I didn't, there'd be times I'd forget to take it/get out of the habit, PLUS it would make it too easy to skip a meal...a no-no. It's a simple regimen.[/COLOR]

That is a good idea...
To help with the regimen of 3 meals per day.
I suspect that it keeps a balance of the full dose of Alli in your system, too.
Though I have no proof of that, just theory.
I rarely eat breakfast...
I think I need to do one of those "liquid" breakfasts.
I can do liquids.

I keep track using the fitday.com site. I love the reports and stuff.
I haven't even tried ALLI site. It was too much the few times I went
there and I though the forum sucked.

My problem...
I keep "binging" and pushing my 1800 goal to 2200 late at night while I am reading. It is fat free treats, but their calories add up. Tonight, it will be apple slices and carrots only. Well, that is the goal. :^:

NICKLES077
07-31-2007, 02:37 PM
I was planning on going to Walmart this weekend to buy Alli but luckily for me a coworker bought it had an "assplosion" :D and vowed never to take it again. Anyway he's bringing me in his left over bottle tomorrow, so I'll be able to try it for FREE!
Did everyone wait to start it on a weekend in case of TE's? I would like to start right away but I'm nervous and would hate to have a mishap at work.

Laurelle
07-31-2007, 03:41 PM
I was planning on going to Walmart this weekend to buy Alli but luckily for me a coworker bought it had an "assplosion" :D and vowed never to take it again. Anyway he's bringing me in his left over bottle tomorrow, so I'll be able to try it for FREE!
Did everyone wait to start it on a weekend in case of TE's? I would like to start right away but I'm nervous and would hate to have a mishap at work.

Nickles (love the Miss Piggy avatar, BTW), I started on Monday, just like any good diet begins. :D I was at work. On Tuesday, I was getting ready to leave work when I thought I was about to pass gas...well, I ran to the bathroom and realized it was much more than gas! I haven't had a TE that bad since then (that was close to a month ago) but waiting until the weekend might not be such a bad thing. I was pretty gassy the whole first week, too.

Everyone else has had better luck than me, though!

MetalChic
07-31-2007, 03:49 PM
Karen,

I'm really sorry to hear you were in such a bad accident. I was in my first car accident recently and even though nobody was hurt, my boyfriend's Eclipse was totalled completely. I'm suffering from a little anxiety when driving now, and a little more when anyone else is driving. I keep feeling a car crushing into us any time were out in an intersection, or open/exposed. It doesn't consume my thoughts any time outside the car or anything, but I get pretty scared/paranoid sometimes. :o

I have heard that there's a direct link between stress and a LOT of physical problems, such as headaches and weight gain/retention. I'm sorry if you've answered this already, but do you do anything to unwind daily? Quiet time, or soft music, or a bubble bath or yoga/meditation/etc? It seems strange, but after such a traumatic time it may be what you need to get your body back on track.

I'm sorry I don't have anymore advice for you, aside from the usual "kick up the diet/exercise" (which may not be what you need). Keep at it, though! Alli should help.

You know, I haven't even thought too much about it, but I've been having the same issues while driving/riding. My daughter is 15 - 16 next month, and she scares me to death! My son and husband do too...

I really don't have time to exercise, relax, or wind down.

I have two teenagers (daughter 15 and son 17), and my husband has two boys (11 and 16). We have a mini pin in the house and a golden retriever outside. I work full time and have almost all of the housework to do and I cook most of the time. Even when I don't cook, I have to clean up. Isn't it funny how when we cook, we clean up; and when they cook, we still clean up? I do so much laundry I could scream! The only time I'm alone is when I'm driving to and from work. I have somebody up my *** pretty much the rest of the time. I can't even go piss or take a shower without company half of the time.

I take muscle relaxers at night which knock me out, but the problem is that I don't stay asleep. Half of the time or more, I wake up and can't go back to sleep. When I do sleep, it isn't restful at all. I've tried Ambien and Rozerem without any success.

Ethereal
07-31-2007, 04:24 PM
Ooh yeah, Karen, you definitely sound like you need a break. All of that alone (without the trauma of an accident) would be enough to make me gain, let alone stopping my weight-loss! Maybe instead of daily time, you could work out an arrangement with your husband and the kids to have one night per week where they take care of dinner (and clean-up!) and let you relax, preferably someplace quiet. You could make a list of activities you enjoy and rotate, or just listen to music, or even ask your family/friends/doctor for suggestions.

If the family doesn't think that's fair - they can be that way sometimes! - you could strike a deal with them... They give you one night per week wherein they take care of everything in exchange for you doing a little something extra for them.

I of course don't know how your family works. I think you do plenty already, but in my opinion the situation could turn pretty negative if you make them feel guilty for all your hard work, so an exchange seems like a peaceful solution.

And boy are those kids lucky! :lol: When I was growing up I did my own darn laundry, did weekly housework (our parents assigned a different job to each of us each weekend), and each of us kids made dinner one night a week to take some stress off our parents. Not that I'm advocating making your kids work, but as much as I hated it then, I totally understand and am grateful now. :)

EDIT: I also should mention I sometimes have trouble falling asleep, and it was the worst when I had a graveyard shift job. My mother has suffered from insomnia for years, where she falls asleep easily then wakes up after a few hours, unable to fall back asleep. She was always a light sleeper, but true insomnia began when I left home at age 18 to live with "internet strangers" in Oklahoma City instead of going to college in Tucson, so it's definitely grounded in stress and anxiety. She also has a terribly stressful job and works constantly (hurray for no overtime pay on salary........).

She's tried all sorts of sleeping aids and none of them seem to work more than once a blue moon, you know? If you ever got a chance to unwind it would probably help with the sleep. Also, though you've probably already tried it, maybe nibble on a bit of turkey and drink some milk before bed (yay tryptophan!), and if you haven't already, cut back on caffeine & alcohol near bedtime.

I wish I had a miracle drug for you, but restful sleep is really a difficult thing to get. I really hope you figure out a way soon, because lack of sleep also messes up emotions, your body, and weight loss.

ThinGirl in FatBody
07-31-2007, 04:52 PM
3lbs a week sounds great. Are you taking one with each meal (3 per day)?

I take one a day with dinner, my breakfast is really low fat and my lunch is only around 5 - 7 grams. A couple of times when I've had a restaurant lunch I've taken a pill with lunch and dinner.

I've been eating low-fat, reduced-calorie snacks, but it seems that it doesn't matter what I eat I'm either maintaining or gaining weight. I weighed about 150 when I had the accident because it was the day after Christmas - holiday food :T. Now I weigh 183 :(.

have you been exercising? I am having some really great success with my Alli/Diet - but I'm not sure it's so much the Alli than the 1 hour of cardio + 1 hour walk I do a day. In six weeks I've only missed my cardio twice.

ThinGirl - Forgive me if this is TMI, but here goes:

:o

LOL - I'm not sure we can forgive you now that the assplosions are out of the bag! :D

I am not 100% it's the Alli causing you the 'events' since there is no oil involved and it happens so quick after eating. Could your tummy be reacting to new things you are eating, fibre etc?

I take it day by day, usually just with dinner unless I have a higher fat lunch

Anyway he's bringing me in his left over bottle tomorrow, so I'll be able to try it for FREE!

Way to capitalize on some poor soul's assplosion! :D

I take muscle relaxers at night which knock me out, but the problem is that I don't stay asleep. Half of the time or more, I wake up and can't go back to sleep. When I do sleep, it isn't restful at all. I've tried Ambien and Rozerem without any success.

Have you seen your doctor? sounds like you may need something stronger to get some rest :hug:

Ravisa
07-31-2007, 08:53 PM
Went roller blading again - had a ball! That really gets the blood pumping and the sweat going. Yeah, that's a pretty sight!

I take a pill with each meal, regardless of the fat in it. In fact, I find myself having to add fat to my meals, since I tend to eat little to no fat while dieting. It's a good feeling to know I can have a little (very little) butter on that English muffin if I want! I also think it's important to be in a habit of taking the pill with each meal to not forget or make excuses to not take it. I got a good deal on pills, too. My mom and I "split" a 150-pack, but I ended up with most of them!

I started taking the pills on a Friday. I went to work and had some stomach cramps, but no TE's. I figured I needed to start right away and not continue to make excuses.

Brightside
08-01-2007, 07:58 AM
Good morning! I had a major victory last night...I went out to dinner with a friend to an old style Italian restaurant. There was nothing low-fat on the menu. I hesitated taking my pill...I am VERY fearful of a TE occurring here at work, especially with this being my first week on Alli. But, I took the pill and plunged in. I have to say, Alli did just what I was hoping it would do...the fear of a TE had me considering every bite I put in my mouth...I had 1 piece of bread, instead of 2 or 3, I had my salad dressing on the side, but used very, very, very little. My chicken piccata arrived swimming in a pool of butter. I ate half and put my fork down. I didn't share my friend's dessert, not even a taste. It just wasn't worth the risk. I was satisfied, not stuffed...it's been a long time since I've gone out to eat and left feeling that way!:D

This gives me hope that Alli is going to help me resist all the stuff my thin husband & children like to have around the house (chips, cookies, brownies, etc.). It's not that we don't eat healthy meals, but if he gets a craving for something, he likes to know it's there in the pantry. He's one of those that eats whatever he wants, when he wants. He doesn't binge, only eats when he's hungry, stops when he's full, leaves stuff on his plate...and my kids are just like him (lucky for them!). I remember when we first started dating and he would often leave one bite of food on his plate. It made me crazy! How can you not have room for one more bite of food? But he stops when his body says stop. He's very lucky and doesn't even know it.

Nickels-I started Monday at lunch and I'm very scared of having a TE at work, especially after hearing that TEs can occur up to 48 hours after the meal:^: Yikes!

StillTryin
08-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Brightside, I can totally emphasize with you about your husband, mine is the same way. He and I were talking just about 2 weeks ago, we had been watching a discovery channel show (or was it the health channel, whatever) about obesity and gastric bypass and they talked about people who were weighin in over 800 lbs. He was looking at what they ate and just amazed that they are not "full" and I said to him that unless you have ever had a weight problem you honestly do not understand. I have struggled my entire life and I have binged in the past and have to fight the urge to still sometimes. It isnt a matter of being "full" it is a mental satisfaction thing. You eat to feel good, then when you realize what you ate or how much you just ate you feel like crap, then you want the "good feeling" back so you eat more and it never stops. He can sit and eat 2-3 candy bars and not gain an ounce, eats healthy also but has a very high metabolism so he *can* do that if he choses. Or he will sit with a bag of chips and eat a couple handfuls and then set the bag down and not touch it again, where as I will eat a couple handfuls and if it is still within eyesight or reach I will keep nibbling until the bag is gone! I have to physically remove the food from my sight.

Now he doesnt understand how I can eat so little and still be full but then in a couple hours need something small to snack on. But that is how MY system is. He does the same thing but eats much bigger meals and then wants to snack within a short time also. I guess what I am trying to say is that while he is sympathetic to my *problem* he doesnt understand the full spectrum of it because he has never had a problem like it himself.

Laurelle
08-01-2007, 10:47 AM
I once asked my husband, "If you weren't hungry and someone offered you your favorite food [for him, it might be cheesecake or pizza], would you eat it?" And he said, "If I wasn't hungry, no. Why would I eat something if I wasn't hungry?" Wow, not eating unless you're physically hungry, what a concept! *smacks forehead*

I really believe men are wired differently...not just the difference in fat-to-muscle ratio, but I think hormones affect us, too. I know so many women who'll binge on chocolate yet very few men with a sweet tooth.

Thankfully, my husband has been very supportive and is eating better along with me. He's taken some of his favorite recipes and made lower-fat versions of them. He even added spinach to his baked ziti so that we'd get more veggies in, and now it's our favorite dish.

Brightside
08-01-2007, 11:26 AM
Thanks StillTryin...glad my guy isn't the only one who doesn't get it. When I complain about junkfood in the house, he says "just don't eat it". The thing about chips makes me crazy...my DH does the same thing, has some, then he's done. I'm the type who nibbles & nibbles until the bag is gone. Bingeing is an awful cycle...been there, done that!
Laurelle - glad your guy is so supportive. You're lucky! Want to share the baked ziti recipe?

Hun.e.B
08-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Way to go Brightside!!! Thats how you win the battle!! Keep it up!!! :bravo:

Laurelle
08-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Brightside - My husband is the one who makes the ziti (yes, a man who cooks, I know I'm lucky!) so I don't know all the details on baking it, but we switched to part-skim ricotta and mozzarella and we mix in a box of frozen spinach - just blend it all with the ziti and sauce and bake it. I will ask him all the proper details! We've tried it with broccoli, too, which isn't bad but the ziti mix seems to blend better with spinach. It ends up being very filling.

Maybe you can be a little more assertive with your husband and let him know how you feel when he brings in the chips. Something like, "When you bring chips into the house and eat them in front of me, I feel tempted to go off my eating plan because I love chips. I would appreciate it if you could eat chips only at work or at least hide them from me in the house." You never know, it might work when you let him know how it's affecting you.

dcapulet
08-01-2007, 12:17 PM
hi all!

hope everyone is keeping up the good work, and having a great day!

MetalChic
08-01-2007, 12:21 PM
My DH is clueless as well... He tries, but he just doesn’t get it.

When we go to the store, he will help me read food labels even though he doesn't truly understand that calories, fat, sodium, carbs, fiber, sugar, and protein all need to be looked at to determine whether or not I should eat it.

One reason I cook most of the time is because he will not low-calorie, low-fat the recipe. I don't drink milk, and we buy 2% milk for the kids so I buy skim milk to cook with because the kids won't drink it. He will use the 2% every time. I almost had a cow one night because I was browning 10% fat ground beef for tacos, and he started to just dump the ground beef with all of the fat with it in the pot with the beans and seasonings. He said, it adds to the flavor; I was like, it adds to the fat and calories. I drain the grease off and rinse with water to get even more grease out of it. He doesn't understand that 10% fat ground beef is still high in calories and fat. He will also use regular butter in things instead of the low-fat margarine that is in the fridge. Mayonnaise is the same way; I buy regular and light mayonnaise because the kids won't eat the light. I had to just start buying all reduced-fat cheese because of the same thing.

DH will temp me with desserts - like cheesecake - and tell me that it won't hurt me. If I do eat something like that, I split it with somebody. My daughter took us to the local Italian place for my birthday, and I got strawberry cheesecake for dessert. We split it! I also ate two slices of pizza with mushrooms only. I haven't had pizza with meat on it in 3 years except for one time, and it made me sick.

I don't like chocolate so resisting a lot of sweets is easy, but I do like cheesecake, certain cakes, apple pie, sweet potato pie, etc. Those are my weakness... and I can't forget, REGULAR PEPSI. I used to drink it all the time, and I mean I didn't drink anything but Pepsi. Now the most I will drink is 12oz a day and sometimes not even that; I try to only drink it for my headaches (caffeine helps with migraines) and stomach upset.

debalina
08-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Does Alli make anyone's stomach sour? Since Friday night, after going to Denny's, with every meal, my stomach gets to hurting and has a burning feel to it. I take a pill every meal. I can't finish the meal and I'm guessing that's why I'm losing weight. Is it my body reacting to the pill after all this time, stress I'm going through at home (splitting with my husband) or heartburn?

Just wanted to know.

Ethereal
08-01-2007, 01:41 PM
I don't take the pill often, and sometimes it will give me an upset stomach, but it's usually VERY mild. It's very possible your stress is contributing to your discomfort. :( But maybe someone else will know for sure.

Brightside
08-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Metalchic - I hate when people sabotage, whether it's intentional or not. Sounds like you really work hard at cooking low-fat. The fear of an "assplosion" kept me from even a bite of tiramisu last night. Maybe it will help you when you are next offered cheesecake! You're lucky you don't like chocolate!

Laurelle- obviously you live with a reasonable example of the male species. While my dh is wonderful in some ways, food is not one of them. We've been married almost 20 years and he doesn't feel he & the kids should have to be denied chips & other types of treats in the house. I do better when I keep it all in a non-see-through box in the pantry. My kids are 10 and they're so much more reasonable at this age than I was when I was their age. I used to hide candy & food and stuff the wrappers into the trash where no one could see and then deny I ate it! I think the fact that they have free access to treats makes the treats much less appealing. Fruit is always out on the table, treats are in the "special box" in the pantry. Obviously my food issues go way back to childhood!

bobbigene
08-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Ah yes, all of our old food relationships. I blame my childhood pediatrician for my adult weight problem. I was actually an underweight kid - skinny as a rail. So the dr told my mother to practically force feed me to put weight on me. I was healthy, got strep throat every couple of months but I think that was because I tended to share my popsicles with the dog. So I got used to having anything and everything I wanted - not junk, but even if I didn't particularly want anything more, my mother would give me an extra helping of mashed potatoes or piece of lasagna or another hamburger. I'd eat it because after all, children in Europe were starving. (I suppose now they say Africa or North Korea.) Then I stopped growing 3 or 4 inches in height a year and suddenly was not underweight anymore. The dr then exclaimed that he didn't know how I got so fat! I remember him saying that right to my face, "How did you get so fat?" So it's not my fault! It'd Dr Keillor's fault!

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.;) :lol:

Brightside
08-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Sorry, I sort of hijacked the thread w/ the family issues. Oops...

Ravisa
08-01-2007, 08:29 PM
I look at my son and get pretty worried. He definitely likes to eat. If he's bored, he'll sigh and say..."I'm hungry." I know he's not hungry, just bored! At mealtimes, he always has an eye out for seconds. He eats more healthy than any kid I have ever seen, so it's NOT FAIR that he is easily 10-20 pounds heavier than he should be. That may not sound too bad, but he is heavier than I was at his age (9), and I'm quite heavy as an adult. Does he stand a chance? I'm sure all you moms out there understand me when I say how much I hate always telling him no. I usually try to give a healthy option when he wants a snack - apple, banana, etc. He eats virtually no chips, cookies, pop, etc. He always had a fruit or veggie with his meals, drinks lots of water, and eats the same low-fat, low-calorie, whole grain type things I do. He has a bagful of candies and junk food from grandma (thanks, mom!), but he only gets one thing a day.

I don't reward him with food, don't give him free reign of snacks, don't let him spend his money on food, do take him with me on walks, etc. He plays sports, does not play video games, but I do admit he's more of a in-the-house-reading type kid than a riding-bikes-outside type. I don't want him to be hung up on his weight at this age (although he kind of is), but I also don't want to just ignore it!

And of course, it doesn't help that my daughter can eat 1/2 a pizza, ice cream, etc., and still be skinny. Grrrrr...

dcapulet
08-01-2007, 08:36 PM
I was thinking about "assplosions" and wanted to share.. although it's yucky.

I was in K-Mart about an hour ago, and went in to use the ladies room. There was a woman in there, furiously washing her hands. I went into the stall, and saw what could have only been a TE, cause i have never seen anything else like it. She looked so embarassed; I wanted to tell her that I had been there before, but she booked out of the ladies room.

That keeps me eating well, cause I wouldn't want that to happen to me!

Brightside
08-02-2007, 07:52 AM
Dcapulet- that was pretty gross, but it's stories like that that will keep me on the straight and narrow!

StillTryin
08-02-2007, 09:48 AM
I agree, that is what keeps us eating correctly, or at least more correctly than before taking Alli. Poor Woman!!! How utterly imbarassing

Ravisa, I know what you mean about your son, mine sounds about the same. He is heavy there is no denying it. I feel bad for him, I want him to see me making better choices but sometimes it doesnt matter, he likes to EAT!!!

My daughters are both average height/weight and eat whatever. I hope my sone comes around when puberty hits. I have seen that already with boys, they will be a little heavy then BAM puberty hits and they are thin and tall! (PRAYS)!

dcapulet
08-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Dcapulet- that was pretty gross, but it's stories like that that will keep me on the straight and narrow!

Exactly.

NRyker
08-02-2007, 02:05 PM
I was thinking about "assplosions" and wanted to share.. although it's yucky.

I was in K-Mart about an hour ago, and went in to use the ladies room. There was a woman in there, furiously washing her hands. I went into the stall, and saw what could have only been a TE, cause i have never seen anything else like it. She looked so embarassed; I wanted to tell her that I had been there before, but she booked out of the ladies room.

That keeps me eating well, cause I wouldn't want that to happen to me!

Hmmm...
This made me chuckle. I don't know why.
TE...I have it happen a lot less. But, ironically, if you look at my fitday...
I really am not going over on fat (still having calorie issues...ie 1800 goal avg eating 2100 cals) but I will have TE quite often.

I think it is the kind of fat you eat too.
I love peanut butter. I have heard that some qualities of Peanut butter will actually assist your metabolism. But, the kind of fats give me TE for 2 days...
afterwards. But, I will take that and have the Peanut butter occasionally.
I don't do blowouts ever, just the oil in the water of the toilet.

The Alli keeps me honest (for fear) but I wish it would also absorb some of the regular calories too. My body just seems to want 2200 calories per day.
Well, I guess I could do 2000 if I was more disciplined at night.

Anyone else challenged to keep at the calorie level suggested in the Alli Plan...:?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?:
Mine is 1800 calories and 59 grams of fat...19 per meal.
I usually average 42 grams of fat per day with 2200 calories...Maybe average of 11 to 15 grams of fat per meal. :o

katallan
08-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightside

Exactly.

That makes three of us!

I left my lunch at home this morning ( by accident because I was in a hurry) so i could get my car to the shop to be worked on today. A coworker was nice enough to bring me lunch. But she brought me the fried chicken plate instead of the baked:( I picked at it and ate a few bites but left most of it on the plate cause I don't want that to happen to me!

Ravisa
08-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Another walk with my son this morning. We were both pouring sweat when we got home. I guess that's good!

Dinner out tonight at a pizza place with my mom (thin), dad (thin), sister-in-law (average), brother (average), and my kids. Not as if pizza isn't complicated enough! I guess I'll hit the salad bar and have a little slice of veggie.

But I'll be good because I don't want the dreaded TE! And tomorrow is WI for me! Yikes, I'm scared!

StillTryin
08-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Katallan, I forgot my lunch this morning too, i left in a hurry because hubby said he would drop off my DD to the sitter so I could enjoy a cup of coffee at the cafe with some friends, I havnt been able to do that in over a month! So that was nice, but then at lunch time I had to improvise. I went to the cafe and had a bowl of soup and a turkey sandwich with lettuce and tomatoe, no mayo or mustard or even cheese!!!

Ravisa, I walk a couple times a day, I do not take "breaks" or lunch at work, since I work in an office and usually am the only one here to get the phones during those times...so usually 2-3 times a day I will go for a walk around town, usually 6-8 blocks each way so that is 12-16 blocks per trip. Every little bit helps. I mean I cant walk fast enough to start sweating since I have to go back to work, but at least I am out moving around and not sittin behind my computer all day!

Brightside
08-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Well, it finally happened, my first TE. Yuck, ick and then some! Last night I made a beer can chicken on the grill. I thought I did ok...I've been known to eat the skin from the whole chicken before it gets to the table...but last night I had 2 wings and figured I had my crunchy-skin fix. I didn't think to count the extra fat grams in a slice of breast meat. Add to that the fat grams in my fish oil & flax seed oil capsules and you guessed it. :o I knew I was in trouble when I was getting dressed for work this morning and my stomach was making funny noises. At work every time I felt even the slightest twinge, gas, whatever, I went to the bathroom. I must've gone 3 times an hour. For those who have never seen the orange oil, it's gross!! TMI: thank goodness the toilets at work power flush - at home the oil stuck to the sides of the toilet! DISGUSTING!:o About all I can say from this experience: thank goodness I didn't have an "assplosion" and I guess it's comforting to know that Alli is working but this is not something I want to experience again anytime soon! I wonder how long this will last? For lunch I had brown rice w/1 tbsp. shredded parmesan and mixed it w/ 1 cup of steamed spinach. I don't know what to do about dinner, I'm sort of afraid to put anyting in my mouth!:dizzy:

annk
08-02-2007, 05:01 PM
I didn't get the treatment effects (what clever guy in Alli's marketing department came up with that one?!?!) for a few days but have had the typical ones from time to time when I overdo it. Mostly I've just noticed more of an "urgency" to get to the bathroom but I've been sticking to the plan. I think since Alli works in your digestive track it's going to move everything along a bit faster. Haven't had the dreaded orange oil in about a week. As gross as it is, when I see that I know I'm not doing something right and it does help me to get back on track.

Good luck, everyone!

Ann

bobbigene
08-02-2007, 07:31 PM
If you are up to some math, here's a formula to figure out how many calories per day it takes to maintain your weight. Let's say you are 30 years old, a couch potato, 65 inches tall and weigh 200 pounds. The formula goes like so:

couch potato - enter 1
low activity (30-90 min per day brisk activity) - enter 1.14:running:
active (1.5-3.5 hours a day brisk activity)- enter 1.27:woops:
very active (more than 3.5 hours a day brisk activity) - enter 1.45:broc:
A) Activity Level 1
B) Height in inches x 16.78 = 1090.7
C) Weightt x 4.95 = 990
D) Age x 7.31 = 219.3
E) B + C = 2080.7
F) A x E = 2080.7
G) 387 - D = 167.7
H) G + F = 2248.4calories to maintain current weight

Using the number of calories needed to maintain your current weight you can then figure out better how much you need to cut back to lose weight. I figured out that I needed about 2200 if I wanted to maintain my weight so I cut it back to 1800 per day. I think if you eat 500 calories per day less, you can lose 1 pound a week. At least that's what my research said. That's about how it has worked for me.

NRyker
08-03-2007, 02:10 AM
If you are up to some math, here's a formula to figure out how many calories per day it takes to maintain your weight. Let's say you are 30 years old, a couch potato, 65 inches tall and weigh 200 pounds. The formula goes like so:

couch potato - enter 1
low activity (30-90 min per day brisk activity) - enter 1.14:running:
active (1.5-3.5 hours a day brisk activity)- enter 1.27:woops:
very active (more than 3.5 hours a day brisk activity) - enter 1.45:broc:
A) Activity Level 1
B) Height in inches x 16.78 = 1090.7
C) Weightt x 4.95 = 990
D) Age x 7.31 = 219.3
E) B + C = 2080.7
F) A x E = 2080.7
G) 387 - D = 167.7
H) G + F = 2248.4calories to maintain current weight

Using the number of calories needed to maintain your current weight you can then figure out better how much you need to cut back to lose weight. I figured out that I needed about 2200 if I wanted to maintain my weight so I cut it back to 1800 per day. I think if you eat 500 calories per day less, you can lose 1 pound a week. At least that's what my research said. That's about how it has worked for me.

A) Activity Level 1
B) Height in inches 68 x 16.78 = 1141.04
C) Weightt260 x 4.95 = 1287
D) Age 36 x 7.31 = 263.16
E) B + C = 2428.04
F) A x E = 2429.04
G) 387 - D = 124
H) G + F = 2553.04calories to maintain current weight

2553.04 - 500 + 2000 calories for 1 lb per week

1800 calorie goal with Alli = 753 cal deficit
x by 7 is 5271 calories per week
divide by 3500 for calories in lb

1800 cals per day is 1.5 lbs per week
2000 cals per week for 1 lb loss per week
If I add 500 calories of activity per day on average...
another pound to either total.
Plus,
You could take your total fat calories per week and
minus 25% and see how much of a pound was the
Oil in the Toi Toi... Yuck! LOL

I love numbers too...:dizzy::dizzy::devil:
Either way, I don't know that my body works like
a calculator...That is why I don't own a scale.
I just keep looking in the mirror for the changes
and borrowing the brookstone scale at the mall!

I like that example for figuring the calories though.
It is good for maintenance phase...or going on
a trip phase too!
Thanks for sharing.
I am posting it to my blog too. :^:

Tammy
08-03-2007, 06:39 AM
This is too early to be doing all of that math!! BUT, I did it. To maintain what I weigh, I need 2306.22 calories. I've been trying to do 1800 which should be giving me a loss, right? I started the lowfat stuff before I started Alli, and I lost 4 pounds right away. water weight I'm sure. Since starting Alli, I"ve gained 2 pounds of that 4. I've been getting in my walking almost everyday, but I guess I really need to start logging my foods somewhere to see what I'm really doing instead of depending on my own calculations. It's TOM soon, so I'm sure that is part of not losing right now.

We just returned from a whirlwind trip to visit my husband's brother who lives in Florida. The brother is very ill, so we thought we should go visit while we could. A week of eating out probably didn't help any either. I tried to make good choices, but you know how that goes. I did take the Alli with me, and took it when I remembered. lol

I haven't had any nasty TE, which is a good thing. I've enjoyed reading the posts on all of your successes!! I hope that I'll be able to post some too someday soon!!!

Brightside
08-03-2007, 07:54 AM
Hmmm...
This made me chuckle. I don't know why.
TE...I have it happen a lot less. But, ironically, if you look at my fitday...
I really am not going over on fat (still having calorie issues...ie 1800 goal avg eating 2100 cals) but I will have TE quite often.

The Alli keeps me honest (for fear) but I wish it would also absorb some of the regular calories too. My body just seems to want 2200 calories per day.
Well, I guess I could do 2000 if I was more disciplined at night.
:o

NRyker - do you think eating more protein would keep you satisfied longer?

Bobbijean- I did my calculation too...I need to eat between 1600-1700 to lose weight. Thanks for sharing!

I really took it easy on food last night...I made some whole grain spaghetti with lean ground turkey in a low-fat marinara sauce. It was yummy, satisfying and low fat! I also steamed some swiss chard and poured on some soy sauce (a friend recommended it). I've been trying to add some "leafy greens" to my eating and I find that mustard greens, collards, etc. all have a bitter taste. The red swiss chard was yummy and even my kids liked it (I think all they tasted was the soy sauce)!

dcapulet
08-03-2007, 07:58 AM
good morning cats and gators!

I actually got myself up at 6:30 and went to the gym today! That's a first time in a LOOOOONG time for me. :dancer:

Also, last night, I ate 1 slice of pizza. Another first. Usually, it's 2, especially when I buy two. Last night, there were two, but I only ate one! For a COA like me, that's huge!!

I hope everyone has a great day, and that the weather doesn't get too hot! 96 today in the Big Apple today! :flame:

Hun.e.B
08-03-2007, 10:54 AM
So I'm beginning to think that Alli just doesnt work on me. It doesnt matter what I eat I NEVER get TEs. Now my whole excitement over this pill was that it kept me on the straight and narrow so that I wouldnt get TEs. But I dont get them...EVER! I've tested it WAY too many times. I pay no consequences for my actions, so I'm not getting that little boost of willpower and therefore cant justify continueing to pay for the pills. I was thinking of trying to take 2 at a time rather than the 1...but thats double the cost...if it worked, if I had got TEs and had to pay consequenses if I stray it would be worth it though. Very frustrating, I wish it even just worked mentally!

StillTryin
08-03-2007, 01:49 PM
That is a neat calculation. I need to eat 2075 calories per day to maintain and say 1500 per day to lose....cool!

Tammy
08-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Melissa, I've had the same feelings. The TE that I've had are just an urgency to get to the restroom, and that hasn't happened often. I also have "tested" it to see if anything would happen, and there haven't been any drastic things that have. I've wondered if it's working especially since I'm not seeing the weight dropping off like so many others. Maybe after my TOM, things will be better. I hope things work out for you also.

My tracker shows 10 pounds, but I am only doing it in 10 pound increments. I also have quite a bit to lose. I changed my tracker recently because I had gained a few, but maybe I should have left it like it was and just worked my way back to that.

Ravisa
08-03-2007, 04:09 PM
I had a run in with pizza last night, myself. I was very good, though, and had a salad and one slice of thin-crust, veggie. Then it was on to my mom's house to play some games. Ah, then the freshly baked cookies started rolling out...not good.

I paid for the cookies and last weekend at the beach when I weighed in. I was up to 251.2. That's about 1/2 a pound up from last week. Curses! Well, here I go again!

I can sympathize with those who do not get TE's. I haven't had any yet, either. It does make it harder and harder to stick to the straight and narrow - especially since I'm counting on that little blue pill to help me out!

Have a great weekend everyone!

StillTryin
08-03-2007, 04:30 PM
You know I havnt had TE's for a few weeks now, but that is because I am mentally making better choices than when I first started. It took me about 4 good weeks to stop having the spotting in the toilet. I had that one TERRIBLE "ASSPLOSION" at work (remember no one saw, and I happened to have extra pants in my car...THANK GOD!!!) But since then I have NOT "tested" anything! I have been VERY CONSCIOUSLY making better choices! I "KNOW" it is the blue pill that helps me.

dcapulet
08-03-2007, 05:00 PM
according to the formula, i need about 1900 calories to lose...

maybe that's where i'm going wrong.

emmak
08-03-2007, 05:26 PM
I have been taking alli about 3 weeks now. I have finally figured out what I can eat and cannot eat. Just this week I have had very few TE's. My first 2 weeks I had terrible TE's and several 'plosions. Horrible, Horrible....... I was having to take extra pants with me. I don't want to do that anymore. So I am eating right and not cheating. I have found lots of good things with little or no fat in them. They definitley have a larger selection now than they did in the past.

bobbigene
08-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Melissa, I can understand how you feel, wondering if alli is doing what it's supposed to do. There were lots of times when I know I went way over my alloted fat grams and not much of anything happened. Then last Sunday morning all **** broke loose and boy was I happy that I was at home! So even if you think it isn't doing anything, it is. I think this stuff has a wicked sense of humor, sneaks up on you when are getting too cocky and brings you back down to reality!:devil:

NICKLES077
08-04-2007, 12:30 AM
Okay I started Alli tonight. I'm terrified of the consequences if I stray... Although I have to say I already eat like a girl who's a size 6, but it's not the same for me because I have Hypothyroidism so it's twice as hard to lose or maintain for that matter. Honestly to me 1600 calories is like cheating. For instance today I had 200 calories for breakfast and about 4 fat grams. Lunch was 189 calories and 1.5 grams of fat. Dinner I can't really calculate but I had 4 scallops with Jasmine rice. I pray Alli helps because I don't think I can eat any better.

santafe
08-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Nickels - If you're really eating that way, alli probably isn't right for you. The whole thing is that you really need to get the fat and calories - or at least close - that is recommended, or else there is nothing to do it's magic on. It's basic math - alli works on 25% of the fat you ingest, at 9 calories per gram. If you eat very, very low calories and low fat, alli will be minimally effective. I'd suggest you read the documentation very carefully, and some of the earlier threads where people are still trying to get their brains around how this works.

Also, to some of the other posters - I get concerned when I keep reading that people WANT TE's occasionally so that they know alli works. Or imply that if they overeat and don't get one it must not be working. Again, I would urge those people to reread the documentation. TE's aren't the way you find out if it's working. Weight loss is the way...I've been on alli for 5 weeks. I have had a few days of too much fat - but not a ridiculous amount. I've never had a TE or anything even remotely close, and I've consistently lost 2 pounds a week. Which is probably exactly 50% more than what I would have lost without it.

I read recently "Yea! I had a TE...so it's working!!!". That is NOT the right attitude, or the right science.

Stay on the program - eat well, eat some fat, exercise, take your blue pills. I think it will work!

dcapulet
08-04-2007, 09:31 AM
ladies,

i really need some help. I keep gaining and losing the same 1lb over and over again. I am exercising most days of the week, and am eating according to the weight watchers plan. What am i doing wrong? Maybe I am not getting enough calories? I am taking alli with every meal, (up to 3) and am seeing physical changes slowly on my body, but no weight loss at all. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

I am so discouraged. Maybe I should try a new weigh in day.

santafe
08-04-2007, 09:40 AM
What is a typical day like? What are you eating?

bobbigene
08-04-2007, 10:19 AM
Good morning to everyone! Weigh in day for many of us. I lost the pound I'd gained and another so I'm pleased. Hope everyone had a good week.

dcapulet
08-04-2007, 10:23 AM
What is a typical day like? What are you eating?

breakfast: three egg whites, three slices of turkey bacon, two slices of whole wheat bread.

lunch: 4 oz pasta, shrimp (or other lean protein), 1 tsp olive oil

dinner: bl sl chicken and 1/2 cup brown rice (or mashed potatoes), broccoli

snacks: blackberries, cherries, 100 calorie pack puddings

Travellin
08-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Hi all! Yesterday was my first day on Alli although I started the 'diet' on Monday. I have lost almost 40 pounds on the South Beach diet but have been struggling with the last 10 - 15 pounds for the past year. I've decided to try Alli to see if it will give me a boost. Diet-wise, I plan to do a modified South Beach - same types of food and getting the fat that I do eat from good fat sources but dropping the overall amount to be within 'safe' Alli ranges. Already since Monday I'm down 3 pounds. I think just reducing my fat intake has made an impact.

For those of you who are struggling, I agree with Santafe - after thoroughly reading the Alli documentation and following several message boards, TE's are a side affect of Alli - not proof that its working. No TEs does not mean no benefit. The fat should still be getting blocked, you just are perhaps lucky in that you don't experience the side effects. Frankly, I'm hoping to avoid the TEs altogether.

Another suggestion for those struggling - have you tried playing w/ the types of food you eat? I've found that my body will not cooperate when eating processed sugars and carbs so I focus on lean proteins, fruits, the occasional whole grain and healthy fats such as olive oil (in appropriate Alli moderation). This is how I'm starting out on my Alli plan and if I run into roadblocks, I will do trial and error from there.

Dcapulet - how much fat are you getting per meal? At a glance, it looks a bit low. Are you approaching the Alli max/meal?

Here goes nothing!

Hun.e.B
08-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Santefe...I have to disagree with you. I dont think there is anything wrong with relishing in TEs. To me and I know others agree, THAT is the best part of the pill, knowing there will be consequences to pay if you dont stick to your plan. Its that little bit of added willpower. And they do market it that way. "you have to be committed" The whole draw to take the little blue is make the committment, stick to your plan because if you dont...guess what...TE! For me personally I dont want TEs because I think thats me losing weight, I want TEs so that I KNOW...there are consequences to pay if I dont stick to my plan. As it is now...yeah, i can stick to my eating plan, but if tempted, there really is nothing stopping me. Where as those with TEs do have that little something that makes them say...oh better not! THAT is what I'm after.

dcapulet...I would definetly evaluate how many calories you get per day. Also, have you been doing the same exercise all the time? AND have you taken your measurements? If we eat too low of calories our bodies start working against us in losing weight. We've got hormones that kick in if our body doesnt get enough to function. Now looking at your menu it looks great but I would just check it again. We MUST eat to lose. Also, if you've been doing the same exercise for awhile it could just be your body needs a bit of a shake up. If you've been doing weights, it could also be that you are building your lean muscle tissue along with losing the fat but the scale wont move and that is why its really important to take your measurements while on a weightloss plan. You dont lose weight and inches at the same time, so while the scale may not be reflecting the measuring tape could be. Just dont give up!! You'll figure this all out!

We are off to the lake today. After my little poor me party I've had the past couple of days I'm going to recommit to myself. A huge part of that is going to be journalling. My goal for this weekend is to lay out the plan for myself for the week. I can do this! I know I can!

Have a wonderful day Alligators!

Hun.e.B
08-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Travellin....Hello! and :welcome: ...that is my point..I want to avoid TEs too, but I dont get them so how is that avoiding? You are so right...sugar is the devil! It spurs all kinds of nasty things. Whole foods is the way to go!

NRyker
08-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Check out this Map of Obesity in the United States over the years:
http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=877760#i

dcapulet
08-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Travellin: I often have a problem getting in the amount of fat. I wasn't tracking calories; I was following the WW points plan. I reactivated my FitDay today, and am back to counting calories.

Hun.e: Actually, I am weight training and exercising. I started about a month ago, and have been serious about it ever since. My routine has variety: swimming, walking, ellipitcal, whatever I have time for. I have lost a total of about 7.5 inches from off my body. I can see some of the changes happening, which is why the scale not moving is even more confusing!

I will not give up! Maybe tracking calories is the key. I can give it a week, at any rate!

StillTryin
08-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Well I just got back from an overnight....OMG I hope I did ok, I tried to not take in so much fat! We ate out 3 meals!!!!! Last night I ordered the cod, much to my surprise (and disappointment) it came breaded and deep fried..... so I picked off as much of the breading as I could and ate what I salvaged from the mess. I did steal my daughters side order of green beans since she wasnt going to eat them.
Today I had 1 egg and 1 sausage link, then at lunch I had a little meat loaf and about a 1/4 C of mashed potatoes.

I did eat some reeses pieces (one of my favorites) I over did it on them, but that was by accident. So I am back on the straight and narrow as of right now and looking forward to my Monday weigh in.

Tammy
08-04-2007, 08:39 PM
After I logged in at Alli.com with my weight, I started eating lower fat and continuing my walking. A few days later I weighed again, and I had lost 4 pounds, most of it was water weight I'm sure. That's the day that I started taking Alli. When I had my first official weigh in after starting the Alli, I had gained 2 of the pounds that I had lost. This isn't supposed to happen if I'm doing everything right (or nearly right), correct? On the days that I know that I have gone over on the fat for a meal, the other meals are low on fat. I am making what I believe are good choices when we have eaten out (just returned from a trip to Florida). Plenty of walking while we were there.

As I said in an earlier post, TOM should be upon me soon unless it's going to skip a month (I'm in the premenopausal stage), and that should help me lose. I think the not losing and not having those TE moments is my cause for wondering if things are working. I know by taking the pill, I have made even wiser choices than normal to stay away from the TE, but the other day when I ate some pizza, I had an extra slice just doing a little test. I know that's not what we're supposed to do, but I'm a bit frustrated here, and I'm wondering if I'll get rid of some of this weight.

GinaXOXO
08-05-2007, 12:43 AM
First, thank you Suzanne for starting this thread and your positive comments. It really means a lot to me that you think Alli can be a good choice for some people. When you mentioned it can benefit people who have trouble sticking with a diet I recognized myself as one of those people.

I first found out about Alli by reading some negative remarks on Weight Watchers about Alli. There is a small brave group of ladies who are using Alli and post on Weight Watcher’s forum. I decided to read the posts mostly out of curiosity. After I started reading them I started to research Alli online. I was actually very impressed.

I have read a lot of the Alli posts. I cannot keep track of who said what but I have learned a lot from many of you who post here. I especially like what someone said about not being preprogrammed with willpower. So true! I also had a laugh at the person who coined assplotion!

I am a very very inconsistent dieter. I stray from my well intended diet very easily and rationalize that I can start again in a few days. During that time I become frustrated and disappointed and it becomes a free for all where I eat everything I should not and nothing that I should. Then I find another diet book and start the diet full throttle and the cycle ensues.

This is only my second full day but I have already made a few observations. First of all, there have been plenty of times that if it were not for the threat of TE's I would have strayed already. Tonight we stopped at McDonald's . . . normally I would have a burger, fries, and a Dr. Pepper or I would have a salad and diet coke depending on whether I was on or off my program. Tonight I read the nutritional facts posted and choose a grilled chicken sandwich without mayo or cheese and a diet coke. I really liked it and didn't feel deprived. There have been other times that I have made good decisions based solely on the fear of TE's. To me that is the most powerful part of Alli.

I am following Weight Watcher's Flex program. Before when I went ON program I was on core. As good of a plan as Core is I really felt like I was on a diet using core. It was not a lifestyle it was a diet. With FLEX I feel so much more satisfied and I feel I am following my natural tendencies better.

I really feel good about this. I have a lot of low-fat recipes that I am looking forward to making again.

I am glad to find this group. So many of you have made such great progress and I feel so inspired by it.

Gina

bobbigene
08-05-2007, 08:26 AM
Good morning all.

I was watching Food Network last night - specifically Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives. Guy was at one place that put shredded cheese on the burger that was cooking on the grill. If it's a half pound of hamburger, they used a half pound of shredded cheese. I thought two things - OMG but that looks good and, OMG! the assplosion that you'd have if you ate that! I called a friend of mine who is also a Food Network junkie and she said I was in withdrawal. I think she's right! :dizzy: I may have to treat myself to a small burger from McDonald's, no fries, to satisfy my craving for good greasy beef. Then it's back to chicken & fish as my food mainstay.

Tammy
08-05-2007, 09:04 AM
Gina, you sound a lot like me by being an inconsistent dieter. I am the same way. I really feel that since I've started taking the Alli, I am making much better choices because of the TE fears mostly. I like the grilled chicken at McDonalds. I usually ask for a BBQ sauce to have with it. Sometimes I'll get a side salad with it.

bobbigene, that hamburger and cheese sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen as well as a nasty TE!!! I have eaten the smaller sandwiches at McDonalds and Wendy's for quite a few years now. Every now and then, I might have a Big Mac (for old times sake, lol) but I rarely finish it.

With the way I eat, my husband can't understand why I don't lose weight quickly. If I lost 1/2 a pound a week, I'm lucky. Since we returned from Florida, I have been logging my food and water intake on another site. I thought that might give me some insight into why I'm not losing. I also thought I could print it and take it to my doctor and show him when he gets on his kick of scolding me for not losing more weight.

I have been testing my blood sugar, and the highest it has been in the morning is 110. Since the doctor had told me I was diabetic (I had 2 readings of 126), I keep pretty close tabs on it. I still don't think that I am diabetic though. My BP on an average has been 120/76. My pulse is running about 67. I think I'm doing well in those areas too. It's just this stupid weight!

I've enjoyed reading all of the posts, and I am so proud of everyone who is making the effort to become healthier.

Travellin
08-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the welcome Melissa! So, last night we went out to our favorite neighborhood pub for a few beers. They also have some fabulous greasy appetizers that I can never resist and incredible artichoke and spinach dip. Well, with the Alli in my system, I am happy to say, I avoided them with no problem. Afterwards we went and had sushi.

Now that I'm watching my fat intake, I'm finding fat in things I never really thought about. I found out that in some of the sushi rolls, like spicy tuna, they add mayo. There's also a decent amount of fat in edamame. So I only had a few edamame and I ordered my sushi w/ no mayo. I haven't done that well on a weekend out in a long time.

Tammy - are you logging everything you eat? Unfortunately for me, I've found that even one splurge like an extra slice of pizza - even if I eat absolutely perfect otherwise - can often mean that I won't lose that week. People do sometimes gain back a bit of the initial water weight they lose too as their bodies equalize to the new way of eating so that may be a factor.

Tammy
08-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Yum! Artichoke and spinach dip! I'm sure that and the other appetizers would have done a number on you!! Good going on resisting them.

Yes, I'm logging everything. I took a bite of my son's corn dog, and I even wrote that down even though it wasn't much. Hopefully when I have my weigh in on Thursday, I'll have dropped a pound or two.

Travellin
08-05-2007, 05:31 PM
I'm rooting for you Tammy!

Hun.e.B
08-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Tammy...that is what I need to start doing, just writing down absolutley everything I put in my mouth.

Brightside
08-05-2007, 10:13 PM
Hi- tomorrow is the end of my first week on Alli. Other than one TE, I've done pretty well. This was the first weekend and I really found myself carefully considering my options. I've been logging everything in fitday and it's really helped! I'm watching my fat grams - I have protein and carbs at every meal so I'm taking my Alli with each meal...it's work, but hopefully it's worth it!

StillTryin
08-06-2007, 09:19 AM
Please Post On Other Thread Now, Thanks!!!!!

emmak
08-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Where is the new thread? I can never get to them without help.

StillTryin
08-07-2007, 09:19 AM
EmmaK here is the link to the new thread.... http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119770

You should only have to look for the thread with the most recent date....I try to start them on Monday morning so this weeks is 08/06/07

LisaLisaSM
08-07-2007, 12:26 PM
just curious if anyone uses CLA and promrose oil combo or just CLA while using Alli? i believe they both do different things. i was taking CLA before i started alli, but stopped since. let me know.

Tammy
08-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Lisa, I've never used them. There is a new thread for this week. Come on over there and post your question so more people will see it, Ok? Maybe someone else will have an answer.