Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-29-2007, 01:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Running clothes recommendation please!

I usually run in a dryfit shirt and running capris or pants, however now that it's almost August it's hot, hot, hot. I had a 5K at 7:30 this morning and by the finish line I was soaked! I'd really like to be able to wear shorts but my problem is that my thighs still rub a little so any kind of loose running shorts ride up immediately. I tried to buy a pair of compression shorts from my running store's own line of apparel but they rode up too. I don't know if they weren't tight enough or what. Has anyone found a pair of shorts they really like and would recommend? And has anyone tried the skirts with the shorts built in?
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:32 AM   #2  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Hmmm... I'm not much help, I'm afraid... I also run in a Dry-Fit top (or just a cotton Tee) and cotton/lycra capris, or a pair of cotton/lycra cycling short type things, but I only wear these on the treadmill - can't inflict THAT image on the world, and yes, every half mile or so, I do find myself tugging them down over my inner thighs I LOVE the cotton, and how it keeps the sweat off my skin.

I have heard GREAT things about Adidas running shorts, but haven't tried them myself (I am too cheap to spend the money on something that won't fit me very long as I keep losing weight! ) - but they have a fitted liner that apparently 'keeps them in place' - ??

Good luck - and if you find something awesome - PLEASE let me know!!

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:01 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

I've been running in Champion 9" compression shorts for years. Make sure they are tight, so they won't ride up. For example, I wear a size 12 (normally), so I get the M(10-12) rather than the L(12-14). Anything shorter than 7 inches for me, will ride up, and running shorts are a disaster, so hey, I look like a dork. I'm not doing it to look cute!

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

I really like a skirt that I bought for myself as a treat after I completed my first half marathon in June. It's made by Brooks, and has compression shorts underneath. They stay put for me pretty well, and having the skirt covering the shorts makes me feel less self conscious, and kinda girly too
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:36 PM   #5  

I run in "normal" shorts (elastic or drawstring waist, maybe 3-4" inseam) regardless of my thighs rubbing. After the first few runs, it doesn't chafe any more.

Your local running store should have lots of options for normal shorts at around $30-35 a pair. If you want lower cost try Target, but be sure that whatever you're looking at has a liner. (All liners are, are built-in panties made of some technical fabric.) Old Navy also has cheap running shorts this season.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Ross has deals on exercise clothes too, I've bought a lot of Nike and Reebox there about 1/2 off retail. I like Nike but I have a pair of Reebox running shorts that I really love. In this heat though you sweat through everything. I'm working out late in the evenings and no way could I run hard this time of year....
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:43 PM   #7  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityChick View Post
I really like a skirt that I bought for myself as a treat after I completed my first half marathon in June. It's made by Brooks, and has compression shorts underneath. They stay put for me pretty well, and having the skirt covering the shorts makes me feel less self conscious, and kinda girly too
Can you post a link? those sound wonderful!
onthetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Quote:
Can you post a link? those sound wonderful!
It's the Brooks Motion Skort - I bought mine at roadrunnersports.com, but I think if you google it, there are probably a number of different places you could go to buy it.
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:40 AM   #9  
hara hachi bu

I just noticed this recently, too. I started wearing shorts to the gym, and they ride up even when I go on the elliptical. About the only time they don't bother me is on the exercise bike, which I don't do that often. And I'm quite far from ever having my legs not rub together, in fact I don't think they ever did, even when I was thin.

I'm going to check out the compression shorts deal.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I'll have to go to Road Runner and check out that skort. We're members of their vip and the tri club so we get double discount. Definitely nice!

I'll also try a different pair of compression shorts like wndranne mentioned. I don't think rr carries champion so I'll be off to sports authority too.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:51 PM   #11  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I really like the Athleta Jacquard Mesh Cardio Capri. They are super light-weight and don't show sweat. I like them so much, I've considered hemming them off just about the knee to make shorts out of them (but they are so light weight as it is, that I'm not sure it's really necessary). I only wish they came in a light color (the dark colors do soak up the sun).

I also like the Athleta Too Vital Bermuda. The fabric is also very lightweight and doesn't show sweat, the wide waistband is very comfortable, and the shorts are knee-length so they don't ride up.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:48 PM   #12  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Barbara- the Racerbank Tank is just what my oldest daughter has been looking for for months for her soccer practices! Thanks so much for posting this link- I'll have to order it when she gets back from summer camp in two weeks.

I might get one myself, too. Those look comfy and appear that they would fit very well.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:52 AM   #13  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Steelslady--You're welcome! I've been pretty happy with just about everything I've ordered from Athleta.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote