Old 07-26-2007, 06:27 PM   #1  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Default I'm sick and didn't even know it :(

I took my 13 year old son to the doctor's this afternoon, as his ear was hurting him and he couldn't swallow without pain (he has an ear and sinus infection with an irritated angry red throat, poor baby).

I get to the doctor's office, when the nursing assistant said it looked like I was sick, too and felt I should be checked out. So, she grabbed my file, and the nurse practitioner checked me out. I have a sinus infection, and ear infection with psoriasis (sp?) as well as a big glob of wax blocking my ear canal that she couldn't get out. I'm on Arithamyecin and ear drops with Cortizone, and next week, she will try blasting my ear with water to get the wax out. She put this long metal instrument in my ear, trying to get it out, but it wouldn't budge. She told me she wouldn't even dream of flushing my ear out today, as it would be way too painful.

That might explain why I haven't been up to exercising like my usual self the last couple of days. I did do the hula hoop for a few minutes the last couple of days and went swimming yesterday, but skipped my walking and dancing because I felt wiped out. She told me to rest up today and tommorrow, and if I go swimming, make sure I don't get any water in my ear for a few days.

How does one get sick without realizing it?
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:29 PM   #2  
Going down, my way!

Oh, and by the way, my son has lost 24 pounds since his last visit to the doctors last year for his physical. They were very proud of him- he's looking great, especially in the abs area.

I am still at 266. Probably some of it is fluid (in the head, heh heh), as I have been faithful to my diet since we got back from vacation, but as I said above, minimal exercising the last couple of days due to lack of energy. The doctor is proud of me, though, as I lost 32 pounds since May 16th.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You are doing great, hope you are better,soon.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:17 PM   #4  
ShellieTerese

S/C/G: 274/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

How can you be sick and not know it? Easy! I felt like crap for so long, that felt normal and feeling good felt wierd.
Bouncing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: tight 26/26/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelslady View Post

How does one get sick without realizing it?
Ear infections can be sneaky things. I get horrible pain with them, but my younger son has no symptoms what so ever. Once, when he was about 4, I noticed something on his neck and it turned out to be pus coming from his ear. He was in no pain, had no fever and had shown no symptoms at all. When I took him to the doctor I was told "some kids are just like that." Seems you're just like that too.

feel better quickly!
balloonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:19 PM   #6  

Aww, I hope both of you feel better soon!
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:40 PM   #7  

Height: 5'5"

Steelslady - I started on May 14, and I "unofficially" have lost 32 pounds, according to my scale today. I won't adjust my ticker until Monday, but hopefully I'll keep the loss until then. That's really cool that we are so close together. I am a swimmer and a walker as well...

I can see how you would be sick and not realize it. I bet you feel so much better on a general basis that being sick might make you just slip back to where you were before, which wouldn't necessarily alarm you. Great that you got some accidental health care, though. Hope you feel better soon.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:26 AM   #8  
Going down, my way!

Thanks, everyone. Fell asleep for about five hours, woke up sweating all over and very thirsty.

I had a not so good food day today. My son and I were hungry, so while waiting for our prescription, we got subs from the sub shop across the street. I know now I could have ordered probably something more healthier, but to be honest, my thinking wasn't very good today, and I didn't. I did, however, realize what I had done before I got halfway through eating it, and took out half of the meat/cheese and threw away the rest of the chips instead of eating it all. I also drank a lot of milk- I was craving it badly, not sure if that has anything to do with being sick or just low on calcium.

The antibiotic must be clearing some of the infection out or something, as I feel like dog meat right now. Going back to bed, now that son had his meds.

Have a great day, everyone. Thanks again.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:51 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

You can try mineral oil to get some of that stuff out of your ear. It softens its up and should come out on its own and you have to do it quite a bit though several times a day and stuff it with a cotton ball. But if the nurse has to do it, it's going to HURT or at best be very uncomfortable. I get my ears impacted quite a bit from ear wax all the time. I figured the mineral oil thing out since it's really uncomfortable depending on how bad your ear is impacted. Mine bordered on painful whenever the nurse had to do it since my ears get realllly bad according to the doctor. WTG on the scale though and congrats on your son losing weight too!
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:04 AM   #10  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

So glad you found out the reason you've not had your usual energy. Hope you feel 100% again soon.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:27 PM   #11  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloonlady View Post
Ear infections can be sneaky things. I get horrible pain with them, but my younger son has no symptoms what so ever. Once, when he was about 4, I noticed something on his neck and it turned out to be pus coming from his ear. He was in no pain, had no fever and had shown no symptoms at all. When I took him to the doctor I was told "some kids are just like that." Seems you're just like that too.

feel better quickly!

my son had the same thing he was 6 and never really had pain took him to the dr as he was not sleeping they flushed his ear, and the water was green i started gagging but looking into the ear you could not see anything wrong...sorry for being gross
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:28 PM   #12  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

PS ear candles work wonders
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote