South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 05:17 PM   #1  
Allie

S/C/G: 225/210/135

Height: 5'5''

Default train food!

I have two 32 hour train rides coming up (yes, I know I'm crazy.. but I'm TERRIFIED of flying and not only is the flight more expensive, but I'd have to change planes which means that I would just get stranded in the 2nd city since there'd be no one to physically force me onto the next plane) and was pondering what I could bring to ease the cost of on-board and train station food and also keep me on plan. I really won't be able to pack a cooler, so that's going to be a bit problematic.

Also, has anyone ever been on Amtrak between Boston and Albany, Albany and Chicago, and the whole Chicago to California (though I'm specifically going to Nebraska) line? I've been on several Boston to DC trains and they all have electrical outlets at every seat, but DC to GA didn't. I just want to know how to plan for my entertainment as I'm going to be doing a lot of sitting.. and 32 hours is about 8 books worth of time. :P
Old 07-26-2007, 06:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I usually take some cross word puzzle books or something similar.You may also strike up conversations with other passengers.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:20 PM   #3  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Little baggies of Beachy food would be my friend! And lots of crosswords and Sudoku puzzles. And bottles of water, too.

Have a good trip!!!

Kara
Old 07-26-2007, 07:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

My aunt & uncle just rode Amtrack round-trip from Minnesota to Philadelphia, and their seats had electrical outlets on both trips. My aunt is on SBD, and she had packed a cooler with ww wraps, raw veggies w/dip & hummus, and fruit. She admitted to buying some of the SB bars & cookies to munch on, just for the trip, too.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 191/183/140

Height: 5'5

This reminds me of that episode of Sex and the City where Carrie takes the train with Samantha to California (because she's also afraid of flying).

Don't know if you like tuna, but if you don't have the option to keep things cool, some mayo packets, tuna packets, a red apple and curry makes a nice salad and doesn't take up much space. And peanut butter is a good take-along...goes with anything in my opinion!

Do you have an iPod? I get sick when I read while moving, so I love downloading books onto my iPod.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:04 PM   #6  
Allie

Ooo good ideas. I don't really snack much- most of my meals are rather complex, must be refrigerated and eaten with a fork type things. I like these ideas! Especially tuna- the people around me will LOVE me! :P

Sadly, I cannot focus on anything stationary on a moving vehicle, so suduko (though I honestly have NEVER finished one! :P) and crosswords are out... but I can watch movies and play the Sims 2! The Sims 2 can keep me distracted for HOURS! Days even. And I know there are water fountains which is good... because I drink like crazy.

On most of my train trips, I pack up a ton of food from the Chinatown bakeries because it's right next door in Boston- but I'm going to plant myself firmly in the station and REFUSE to give in!
Old 07-30-2007, 09:09 PM   #7  
Allie

I have my laptop, which sucks for everything except for playing DVDs since you don't have to boot up to OS to do it. I still have half of Roswell Season 1- so probably 5 or 6 hours there. I might buy Lost Seasons 1 and 2.
Closed Thread