Exercise! - Inches vs weight loss

View Full Version : Inches vs weight loss

bethel
07-26-2007, 11:11 AM
The past 5-6 weeks I've played with the same 2 pounds - gaining and losing. I've been on Weight Watchers since Sept and have lost 55 lbs thus far.I track everything I eat and get in all "healthy essentials" of the program.

I've tried varying my eating patterns and adding variety. I've been eating a bit more protein and less junk carbs (i.e., processed foods, white flour) and my workout routine is more strenuous than in previous months, with an hour of cario/weight training daily. My fitness level has gone from "couch potato" to advanced. I like to challenge myself and my endurance and strength have increased.

I'm pleased with the looser clothes and muscle definition I'm starting to see, but I'm starting to get impatient with the scale number (I know, I know - success is more than a number).

Have any of you experienced this? Any words of wisdom?

Sheila53
07-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Yes, and it's frustrating, particularly when WW is all about the scale. All I can say is hang in there, and the scale will drop eventually.

broken wings
07-30-2007, 04:34 AM
I used to go to the gym and had a personal trainer. If you're losing inches still but struggling with the pounds one thing that may be causing this is the gaining of muscles and muscles weigh more than fat. That's what my trainer always said.

Heather
07-30-2007, 08:36 AM
If you are weight training and building muscle that could well be the answer. It's not that muscle weighs more than fat per se (1 pound = 1 pound), but 1 pound of muscle tissue takes up much less space than 1 pound of fat. So, if you lost 2 pounds of fat but gained 2 pounds of muscle the scale will be the same, but you will be much better off!

Measurements are great (as are how your clothes are fitting). If you had a body composition measurement done before, you could compare it to now to see your progress.

If this new routine is new, I guess it's also possible you have lost fat but your muscles are retaining more water (though I'm less sure about this...)

I think the scale is an important tool, but in many ways it is not the best way to measure FAT loss and body composition. Sounds like you're doing well!!