LA Weight Loss - Luna bars

View Full Version : Luna bars

NaomiZ
07-24-2007, 01:00 AM
OK I found them the other day at hte local grocery store and they are yummy :) I just won 86 (mixed flavors)off of EBay:dizzy: then thought to myself I sure hope all flavors can be subed for lites. Tell me It's ok YIKES!!

Joni135
07-24-2007, 05:29 PM
Naomi - I don't see any specific Luna bars listed on my "substitute list"

LA Lite Bars - Lunas, Prio Completes, Kashi Go Lean bars or Chocolate PB Bliss Bar

I'm curious what the nutritional content is for the bars you got. A typical LA Lite bar (I think this was the old caramel bar) had
180 calories
4 g fat
30 g carbs
3 g fiber
17 g sugar
8 g protein

I think if you stick close to these portions (and get a bar with soy protein which is the basis of an LA lite bar), you should be okay.

bizlawchik
07-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Also remember to make sure your COD knows that you are having lunas or a lite substittue. There is a difference in plans if you do lites or you don't. Otherwise you will be consuming approximately 360 calories more per day than your COD believes you are having.

NaomiZ
07-24-2007, 10:30 PM
I am on gold w/lites, this is my last week as I only joined for the 8 week program.

JLem311
07-25-2007, 11:58 AM
i have been doing lunas only this time around and have found that there are a few flavors that have a few more calories and a few more grams of fat than some of the others. then there are a few that have a bit more sodium, less carbs, one more or less gram of protein, etc.

i just choose the ones with the least calories and about 4g of fat. sometimes i'll eat the ones higher in cal and fat, but only if i've run out and need to order more (i get mine from amazon.com--free shipping and i know they're fresh and not close to being expired.)

lizababe
07-25-2007, 02:50 PM
I just found the Lunas at the organic grocery store! Yippee! I haven't tried any yet.. I get my sweet tooth in the early morning and later afternoon at work so I'm saving it for that. I am VERY happy that these are organic and there is no corn syrup. It's very hard to find products without that anymore. I'm curious to see if this will affect my weight loss. I seem to be at a stand still already.

Marleymom
07-25-2007, 09:55 PM
I am on the Gold Plan with 2 Lites (I use the LUNA bars instead). Usually I only get in one bar a day instead of two. On days I only eat one, should I add something else, and if so what? (protein, starch????) Thanks!

Dan2112
07-26-2007, 11:11 AM
I haven't tried the luna bars yet... This week, I'm trying the Special K protein bars.

These are pretty close to the Lites as far as things go:

Cal: 190
Fat: 6g
Carbs: 23g
Fiber: 2g
Protein: 10g
Sugars:16g

They are also PACKED with all kinds of important vitamins and minerals. I've forgotten.. Do the Lites have vitamins in them?

mizzt
07-26-2007, 03:18 PM
LOVE LOVE LOVE

The Caramel nut brownie...(i buy mostly those)
The Smores (for when im camping with my boyz
and the Oatmeal Rasin...MmmmMMmm tastes like u are having a cinnamon oatmeal raisin cookie with light frosting...
I do like others but those are my MUST HAVES
not sure as to the diff..but those ones seem to be comparable to the la lights

marzbe
07-26-2007, 04:15 PM
The cookies and cream ones are pretty yummy too.

I still primarily do the Lites but I use the Lunas and the South Beach High Protein when I want some variety. I'm about 2 boxes of Lites too short come the end of maintenance, so I'm stretching and supplementing just so I have lites to get me through that last month. Though, at that point I'm hoping not to be doing the daily lite either, they've become too much of a cructch. ;)

JLem311
07-26-2007, 07:24 PM
my faves are the peppermint stick, dulce de leche and the toasted nut and cranberry (tastes like a trail mix bar)...those are my staples. sometimes i do get the cookies and creme ones or the nutz over chocolate and peanut butter cookie.

NaomiZ
07-26-2007, 09:34 PM
thanks everyone :) I am getting Chai tea, lemon zest, Chocolate Pecan Pie, and Cookies 'n Cream.

bahamadream10
07-26-2007, 10:03 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any substitutes out there for the la shakes? I was wondering if you could just use a scoop of the whey protein powder instead? Does anyone know?

CharliesHotMama
07-26-2007, 10:17 PM
I just wanted to add my .02 here :)

I conducted a hard target search of a comparable bar and found that Glucerna bars are the closest match. Plus they're GOOD! The caramel nut and chocolate caramel are the best (imho).

Here's the nutritional info from a couple of the bars:

Caramel nut/cranberry orange

Calories: 150/140
Cals from fat: 45/25
TF/SF/TF: 5-3-0/3-2-0
Cholesteral: 0/0
Sodium: 110/85
Potassium: 180/140
Total carbs: 23/26
Fiber: 2/4
Sugars: 5/9
Sugar ETOH: 7/4
Protein: 7/6

Hope this helps!

(Oh, and you don't have to be diabetic to use these.. in case anyone thought you had to be!)

Nikki

bahamadream10
07-26-2007, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the input I have to get the lowest sugar content bars, that is why I have resorted to the shakes and the hot chocolate and the key lime bars they are the lowest sugar. I will have to try the glucerna bars I didn't think to look at those. I will let you know.

space99s1
07-28-2007, 12:35 PM
I have found that the Lunas travel better than LA Lites and I do substitute them once in awhile. My favorites are the Carmel Brownie and the Peanut Butter Cookie.. :) I also like the Strawberry Yogurt and Blueberry Yogurt kinds...Suzette

stephsjourney
07-29-2007, 10:33 PM
I was just wondering this, as I do the plan without the lites as well. It would surely help me if I could add those Luna bars. I am currently on the red plan with no lites. I have only been doing this for a couple of weeks, and I have made a big deal about not being able to afford the bars. I am kind of nervous about telling them that I would like to try the Luna bars. You know they are all salespeople and they want to sell THEIR products! Are they used to people making substitutions? I could use some insight....please!

Kansas
07-29-2007, 11:05 PM
I hope you have better luck if you choose to talk to your COD about a substitute. My doctor just took me off lites (after 6 months) due to soy intolerance. The counselor was irritated because she would have to email the dietician to modify my plan. And when I asked about substituting, the counselor gave me the lecture that I would not be following program because there are no approved substitutes for the LA Lites. She was completely offended that I would even ask such a question.

I think there are alot of people here that substitute the Luna bars but they write Lites in their diaries - just to avoid the hassels.

Good Luck!!

Marleymom
07-30-2007, 12:43 AM
Yep, that's what I do- I use LUNA Bars and write in Lites in my diary. BUT, there are days I only have one bar and some days none (I am on Gold with 2 lites), what can I add in their place? My COD won't tell me. They just keep saying you MUST eat TWO lites a day or NONE! Some days I just don't need two bars, and some days I don't need any! Does anyone know what you can exchange for a bar?

curiousone
07-30-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm on the Gold plan too. A counselor at my center told me that if I don't eat the lites then I need to add 2 oz. of protein. So if I skipped two bars I'd add 2 oz. to each serving of protein. I hope this helps!

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-blue/slider-but5/lb/164.6/130/162.2/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

bahamadream10
07-30-2007, 11:02 PM
I have to tell you I only have 3 more paid boxes of lites so I have been experiementing with the different flavors of the Luna bars, I just had the Luna Sunrise this morning Vanilla Almond you have to try this flavor AWESOME!!!!!!

aguerin
07-31-2007, 09:09 AM
I have tried the Luna Bars since reading all the positive posts and they are good. My comment is to watch the calories on them though. They make several different kinds and the calories can jump up to 240 on some of the nutrition bars so you want to read the labels.