Old 07-23-2007, 06:48 PM   #1  

Default trying to determine my "healthy weight"

X

Last edited by elmuyloco5; 03-26-2008 at 02:33 PM.
elmuyloco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:24 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

As you get closer to goal, regardless of what you do to avoid it, you WILL lose some muscle. It's unavoidable. You will also not have as much water in your body. So your percentages will change. You will no longer have 144 lbs of lean weight.

Goals are not set in stone. Every person is different and it's hard to go by those online calculators. I think you should see how you look and feel as you get closer to your goal weight, whatever that may be, and then reaccess. You can stay at a certain weight for a period of time and try to maintain that and see how it feels and then you can readjust as need be. You won't know for sure til you get there.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:45 PM   #3  

X

Last edited by elmuyloco5; 03-26-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:04 PM   #4  
Meg

Katrina, I'm a personal trainer and even I can't answer the question about how much muscle you might lose along with fat -- sorry! There just isn't any way to tell at this point, though I agree with Robin that you're not going to lose 100% fat and no lean body mass.

The best way to maintain as much muscle as possible is, as you say, to lift weights. But I'd really like to urge you to ditch the idea of toning and go back to lifting as heavy as possible. Maintaining and building your muscle mass will make you leaner, tighter, and smaller in the end, and keep your metabolism running high! But you have to stress your muscles to get that result and I'm not sure that "toning" with light weights is going to do much for muscle building.

It's a shame you had to sell your equipment when you moved -- do you have access to a gym or anything where you are now?

I know it's important to have a goal to work toward, and your Onederland by Christmas goal is terrific! But I agree with Robin -- you probably aren't going to know what your ultimate goal will be until you get a lot closer to it.

For example, I picked 160 as my original goal because it was the lowest I had weighed in my adult life. But when I got there, I knew the job wasn't done. So I just kept going until my BF% was where I wanted it to be and my body said: stop! The same thing may happen to you. In any event, you'll probably be reassessing as each decade of weight drops away.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:42 PM   #5  

X

Last edited by elmuyloco5; 03-26-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:19 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Katrina, maybe you'd like to give resistance bands a try. It's a great inexpensive way to do strength training at home.

Check this link out:

reishttp://www.acefitness.org/getfit/RubrBndWkout.pdf
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote