Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 07-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Horrible Week

Last week was so horrible for me; it was like I was on a downward spiral I just couldn’t control. I really binged horrible last week; I honestly don’t think there was one day that I didn’t binge. I’m pretty sure I consumed a disgusting amount of calories each day, a few thousand give or take (and I’m not talking like 2,000 either). I basically sat and at junk everyday after work and didn’t even think about going to the gym (actually the worst part is that I haven’t been to the gym in over 3 weeks!).

Sometimes I feel like I’m the only one out there who can binge like this, it would be disgusting to a normal person. The only thing that makes me feel a little better is reading this thread and knowing that there are others who ahve struggled with this. I don’t know how to stop myself though because once I get on a binge it’s so hard to stop. I try not to keep trigger foods in the house but I actually went out and bought some of the things I like to binge on because I couldn’t help myself. How do you keep from starting a binge? And once you start how do you break it?
Flutterby873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:56 PM   #2  
Skinny cow in the making!

S/C/G: 193/149/126

Height: 5'4

I could binge a horrendous amount of food before I started my own low-calorie plan.

I am talking obscene amounts of food, in a day I could eat what a normal person might eat in one week. That was a horrible, terrible time for me and I understand how hard it is.

I haven't binged in almost 9 weeks. I am, frankly, shocked. This is the longest I've gone without binge-eating in my entire life (I'm 19).

I've done it by banning all of my trigger-foods. Perhaps you can do this? Throw it out, do not buy it and replace your comfort foods with healthy comfort foods.
For example, I now, if I need comfort food, have carrots with dip. I am addicted to food, so I have replaced my unhealthy addictions with healthier ones. I will always be addicted to food. I now have to become addicted to better foods.

Ultimately, to overcome binge-eating you have to be really prepared. It's hard. It's hard to say no to ice cream when I've had a crappy day. It's hard not to stuff my face with potato chips when I feel lonely, but I have to fight.
You also have to fight, you need to be ready.

I've only gone 9 weeks-it's not long. But, I feel so in control, I know I can do it. I might have a huge binge one day, but it won't make me slip into my old habits. I know you can do it too if you really mentally prepare yourself.

Sorry if my ramble is unclear or didn't help. Feel free to PM me.
Jadeybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 123kg/114kg/63kg

Height: 5ft 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutterby873 View Post
Sometimes I feel like I’m the only one out there who can binge like this, it would be disgusting to a normal person. The only thing that makes me feel a little better is reading this thread and knowing that there are others who ahve struggled with this. I don’t know how to stop myself though because once I get on a binge it’s so hard to stop. I try not to keep trigger foods in the house but I actually went out and bought some of the things I like to binge on because I couldn’t help myself. How do you keep from starting a binge? And once you start how do you break it?
You aren't the only one who can binge like this, please don't feel bad or disgusting. The way I see it, this is an illness. Don't beat yourself up about what you have eaten in the past, just focus on the here and now.

Have you made a list of your trigger foods? I find it helpful to have a clear list of 'no' foods so that if I'm tempted to binge I can look at my list and remind myself that I cannot eat what I'm craving.

I overcome the urges to binge by removing myself from the situation - I'll step outside for a few minutes and decide on a plan of action. Usually the best thing for me to do is to distract myself. A bath, a book or a film are things that I often use to pass the time. During a craving I 'talk' to myself - I tell myself that eating won't change how I feel right now and that I'll feel worse later on if I binge.

I'm a member of AA and also use the 12 steps to overcome my food addiction so if I am having a craving I can visit an AA chat room.
ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:46 PM   #4  
pan

S/C/G: 195/195/135

Height: 5 ft. 4 in.

Katie,

I am just starting out on this process too. Thanks to the other posters for all their good advice. Please don't spend this time trashing yourself because that is in the past and we all need to step forward. I do understand what you are going through - I had purchased a trigger food last night and got up at 3 AM and finished off the box!! Find out what the triggers are and then plan, plan, plan. I like the idea of making up a food trigger list and then not keeping that in the house. That is a definite keeper!

Best to all,
Pan
pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:56 PM   #5  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 261/259/155

Height: 5'5"

You are not alone and you shouldn't feel bad.

I used to be an almost daily binge eater. The thing that has helped me is eating more frequently. I used to never eat breakfast and then I'd either pig out and stuff myself sick for lunch or dinner and sometimes both. Now I never let myself get hungry. I eat 6 small meals a day and I always feel in control. I lost 20 pounds the first month just by doing that. I wasn't counting calories or worrying about fat content. I just ate every three hours. Once that got me started losing weight, then I started exercising and restricting calories.

I eat 1400 - 1600 calories a day now and I never feel deprived or out of control. In the past 6 and a half months I've had one bad day where I did eat way too much, and I've given myself a few free days here and there to eat some treats, but for the most part I've been on target.

The best part is I feel like I CAN eat this way for the rest of my life. I've never felt like that on a diet before. It's worked for me, but everyone is different.

If you do slip and overeat DO NOT beat yourself up. Forget it, put it behind you and keep moving forward. Do not let it overshadow all the good you have done. We only fail if we stop trying.

I wish you good luck. I know you can do it, because if I can lose weight anyone can!

SkiniJeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 266/ticker/160

Thank you all so much for the encrouaging words. It really helps me to know that there are other's going through the same thing and are able to get through it. I think my main thing that I have to work on is when I do feel like I want to binge I must distract myself or else I'll go out and buy my trigger foods. Hopefully getting back to the gym will help me since that's just more time I won't be sitting home or bored and thinking about my trigger foods.
Flutterby873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 258/139/105

Height: 5 ft 1

You are definitely not alone! I struggle with binge eating. When I hear some people describe their binges (and yes, I know it is not a competition), I think - are you kidding me? I can eat an entire week's worth of food in less than 2 hours. And it takes a long time to undo that damage. I have lost over 100 lbs and the impulse does not go away (at least for me). I am struggling now so I know where you are. Planning my foods, not keeping trigger foods in the house and exercising all help. Best of luck to you!
ann1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:39 PM   #8  

Planning is definitely essential - you need to be prepared, and if you plan you shouldn't be as tempted to eat whatever because it won't fall in the plan!
Kitten824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:25 AM   #9  

You definitely aren't the only one! Every day is a struggle to refuse to start, because I know if I do, it's going to get out of hand. Some days it's harder than others. The important thing is to recognize it and not to let it stop you from having a better day tomorrow.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:28 PM   #10  
Determined Loser

S/C/G: 140/140/125

Height: 5'5

Hey Katie, I know how you feel and like everyone has said you are not alone!! Kitten had a great idea, I always plan what I am going to eat for the next day. Sometimes I can be a like OCD with it, by writing out my plan then totaling the calories, and what not. I fill my list with healthy items, such as a lot of fruit. I do leave a little room when I feel like I can handle it just in case.
If you plan out your day, food-wise, then you would be less likely to stray. I know how hard it is to not binge, ans people who don't have this problem just don't understand, but we are here for you!!!

Kelly
KellyZ01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:49 PM   #11  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

I agree, I am in this three weeks now and in order for me to not go home and start craming stuff in my mouth, I have to plan, plan, plan. During the week after supper, I sit down and look through my folder of low fat recipes and I pick out some ones that I want to have for the following week. Then I make a grocery list of all the ingredients needed for each meal. So on the weekend when I go to the store for the week, I have my list with all my meals stuff on it.

The only problem I am having is to have to cook seperate food for my son and husband, who aren't eating low fat, and not to mention very very picky and close minded eaters. I sometimes try to cook a meal that all of us can eat too, but since I have switched mainly to eating mostly vegetables, they won't touch my food. But if you plan your meals out, you will be prepared and won't franticly be searching for something you can eat. Hang in there...
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:02 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 123kg/114kg/63kg

Height: 5ft 5

I've got a very fussy eater for a husband, he has limited tastes and also has a super fast metabolism so can eat exactly the same as me and lose weight!

We tend to have the same meat, but I make him mash and I have rice. I have more veggies than him, and he only has carrots and cauliflower.

I'm about to plan and order my shopping for next week, there is always something I forget though!
ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote