Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-23-2007, 11:31 AM   #1  

Default Cemented my decision

Hi Everyone,
Well Saturday I went to the amusement park and I couldn't get the belt buckled around me on a Go-Kart. I was a little embarrassed to have to squeeze my way out of the cart in front of a line of people, but it really cemented my decision to really do this. After my family was finished with their ride I told my Mom that I was taking the first steps for a gastric bypass. I am very lucky that I have an extremely supportive and helpful family and husband, I know other aren't as fortunate.
But then I had other thoughts and I really began to examine things. Like afterwards we went out to dinner, and when I have gastric bypass I won't be able to experience "dinner out" like everyone else. Would I be ok with that? I know for absolute certain my family would be fine with me eating a small amount and wouldn't badger me into trying a "bite" of something. But could I be ok with it? And really most of the year I think I would be, but no slabs of Christmas ham, Christmas cookies, a huge Easter brunch. My first thought was to wait after Christmas, and then I felt like an addict saying, "one more hit" and then it occurred to me that is what I am. Looking for one more hit of Christmas ham. I would never encourage an alcoholic to wait until tomorrow for help, I should hold myself in that same regard.
I know within time I can enjoy tiny portions of food I enjoy, but for know I need help, and really let others help me so I can help myself.
Did anyone mourn the "loss" of eating? How do you deal with that?
Thanks,
Michelle
mommamichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 262/218/145

Height: 5'4'

Michelle, I worried about the same things, but it is so unusual for me. Now I don't even worry about eating out and I've laughingly told my family that if I go with them, to just cut off three bites of something and even put it on a napkin. That's all I can have and trust me, that's all you want right now. My decision, now this is strictly mine, is that if I do go out to a luncheon or dinner, I'll only order tea or coffee and sip slowly and talk to everyone. I love BBQ and have worried about that, but the smell is wonderful but the wanting the food is not there. I find it so unusual for me, because I was truly a food junkie from the word go. I'm not saying it will not be hard to deal with further on down the line, because we don't know the future, but for now, I'm not having the problems that I thought I might have.
Hope this helps. It sure is fun to see the weight come off.
Lolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:37 PM   #3  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

1 thing i do is order an appetizer. its small still tastes good. or i share, get it boxed or throw my dirty napkin over the plate. . .Therefore rendering it yucky
I can still have food I like as long as I'm careful and make smart choices
eat slow and listen to your body also water with lemon is your friend
I had bypass last september.

oh at diners, I generally do breakfast so i can order 1 or 2 eggs scrambled no toast no potatoes.
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:14 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

Michelle - IT GETS EASIER over time. all the way around. honest! as long as you do the work to stop letting food control your life. just about every meal i have in a restaurant goes for at least 2 more meals for me. and that's ok. but that also means that i order something I LIKE!!!! not just something to eat.

and the real issue for me has been to sit there while everyone else is yakking and picking at the rest of the food. that's why i take my knitting with me everywhere. my hands are busy, and it reduces that nibbling action.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220+/174.2/140

Height: 5'6"

I don't know about with the surgery, but I do know that you can eat out and still eat perfectly healthy. Just order salmon or seafood, plus a plain baked sweet potato or steamed vegetables on the side. Most restaurants have a health choices portion of the menu, and if you order off of that area, you can still get some tasty food (usually fish related) and stay under about 500 calories.

When I know I will be eating out for dinner, I have a small breakfast and lunch and make sure I'm under 800 calories by dinnertime, so if I do splurge, it won't destroy my diet.

Best of luck!

And supportive families are the best, aren't they?
Anna829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:02 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 421/202/170

Height: 5'6"

It does gets easier over time, but when you start off it's best to stick to the diet that your doctor gives you. Your first priority is to lose weight, all that food will still be around when you reach your goal and you can have tastes of your favorites. I'm not at goal yet, but I'm enjoying 2-3 bites of my favorites on the weekends and it is enough to keep me on track of not indulging in the whole thing, which it is impossible to do now anyways with this lapband

Life after major weightloss is so much better anyways than that Christmas ham
tann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:17 AM   #7  
Old Cackler

tann!!!!! you're a star - a very wise one [even if your kids might disagree from time to time!!!!!]

MWA!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 385/238/145

Height: 5'11"

Tann - I'm going to steal your little quote -
Quote:
Your first priority is to lose weight, all that food will still be around when you reach your goal and you can have tastes of your favorites.
I really need to remember that they always make more food! They don't always go around making a thinner, more healthy me!

Is it ok that I snag that??
jaxnlula is offline   Reply With Quote