Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-22-2007, 08:01 PM   #1  

Default Curves and what else?

I have joined a gym that is local and like curves, I am wondering what else I should do after I go through the circuit twice. I have been using the ball to do crunches while holding 5 lbs. Also I use the ball and do some hip thrusts off the ball.

What else should I be doing after my circuit? Also should I do some extra cardio on the eliptical before I do my circuit. In the circuit I alternate between running in the spot on the board and jumping jacks.

I only signed up for two months at this gym. I think after my two months are up I will go to a regular gym. My first week at Curves I just did the circuit, my second week I decided to add my crunches on the ball, the next day my abs were sore. Same thing happened when I added my thrusts, my glutes were sore. None of the curves equipment made me sore, except for my triceps and biceps.

So I need more to add to my routine, and if you can give me number of reps and sets to do that would be good.

Thanks
toned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:32 PM   #2  

I have never joined a Curves-type gym, although I visited a local one for a possible part-time job (didn't take it). I feel the circuit routine they use is great for beginners. It's a start in the weight loss/fitness journey. However, it's limited and one can reach his/her pinnacle quickly.

Depending on your goals, a full gym is probably better. There are many choices for weight and cardio routines. If I had taken the job, I would have continued my regular workout at my regular gym.

Your choice of exercises, sets and reps is dependent on your goals. Light weights for many reps (12-20) builds endurance; medium weights with fewer reps (8-12) builds strength, and heavy weights for a very few reps (1-6) builds mass. I like a full body routine for beginners. It helps for the weight loss and builds strength in the major muscle groups. Then you can move on to the smaller muscle groups.

If your gym is like my local curves-type gym, there isn't much choice except for the ball and the cardio machines. However, there are many core exercises you can do on the ball. You can build your core and do extra cardio until you set your goals. From there you can make a decision about types of workouts and which gym to join.
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:31 AM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Curves equipment won't make you sore...unless you work it the way many of them don't show you to work it. IOW...to the max. I've been a member of 3 locations, and visited a 4th. Only ONE of them showed me the right way. They even work with you. They have you go around the circuit once, working the equipment as HARD and FAST as you can. Then the second time around, they keep a list of the number of reps you do, they have you add THREE more reps to each piece. LOL At the end, they give you a little card with your reps from the second round. You are supposed to do AT LEAST what is on the card each time, increasing when you can. This means, NO running on the resting pads, NO jumping jacks, NO nothing. You work the equipment right, you should be too tired to do anything else in between.

I would alternate my days. I'd spend a day working the equipment at my peak, then a day running, doing jumping jacks, squats, lunges, etc. in between for the cardio.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:56 PM   #4  

Thanks for that. I will follow your advice almostheaven. I have about a month and a half left, then I will switch to a local regular gym.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:04 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I quit Curves when I developed bursitis in both shoulders from the hydraulic equipment. This was after a year or so--and I was no longer a beginner. The faster you push, the harder the hydraulic machines push back, and my joints couldn't take it. Got the rest of my money back, too. So if you feel any joint pain, watch out.

A friend of mine quit for the same reason--in her case it was her hip joints, and she's still not better after 6 months or more.

I switched to the YMCA.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:07 PM   #6  

Thanks for that info Jay, I wonder if this has anything to do with my ankle pain?
Old 07-24-2007, 05:16 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

Jay, I found the same thing. I quickly "outgrew" the machines - I couldn't make the hydraulics go fast enough to be harder (if that makes sense). In any case, as soon as my membership was up, I moved to a regular gym where there are many more options. (I had other complaints, but they were with the particular Curves location and the people running it, so not relevant to Curves in general. )

That being said, I think Curves, or it's knock-offs, are a great place to start for someone who has never exercised, or is hesitant about getting overwhelmed at a regular gym.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:02 PM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

If you're experiencing pain, try to target the machine that's working that section of the body, or causing the pain, and simply skip using it. Double up on another piece of equipment to take its place. If people are on each side of you, just walk in place to keep moving and move to another piece of equipment elsewhere at the end of your circuit.

I lost my sitter with hubby's work hours so eventually had to cancel my membership. I'm planning on joining the Y myself, much nicer to be able to take my son there with me.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:41 PM   #9  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

My Curves here was great for the first 6 months and then I was just plain bored and was no longer interested in going. I needed more of a challenge and actually had to pay the $67 to let me out of my yr contract. That sucked but O'well. I agree it's great for a beginner. Curves shd only do 3 or 6 month memberships and not tie ya down to a yr. JMO.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:02 PM   #10  
Brige

S/C/G: 250/239/140

Height: 5'2

Initially I enjoyed Curves yet it became boring and I stopped going. I enjoyinh walking around my neighborhood more than Curves.
Journeytoloose is offline   Reply With Quote