General chatter - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Discussion - Spoilers!!!!

jtammy
07-22-2007, 05:31 PM
Warning - If you haven't finished reading Harry Potters and the Deathly Hallows - Do not scroll down!!! There may be details that you haven't read that will spoil the book for you......

See question below.

jtammy
07-22-2007, 05:41 PM
What did you all think of the new book? I enjoyed reading more about Dumbledore. I wasn't really expecting to get much that much backstory about him. It was a huge relief that Harry Ron and Hermoine all survived. I felt like Snape was a good guy all along, so I wasn't surprised that he was.

I was glad to see Ron and Hermoine branch out on their own when they found the basilisk. In previous books, Ron has been so non-confrontational that I wondered if that also meant that he would be brave enough to assist in the quest.

One thing I didn't really understand is how Neville ended up with the Gryffindor sword during the battle of Hogwarts. I thought we last saw it with Griphook. How did Neville get it?

denialisnthappiness
07-22-2007, 06:23 PM
I can only assume that somehow bellatrix or the malfoys got the sword back from griphook?

Overall fab book. I'm glad that each of the three 'got a go' at destroying a horcrux. As said before - disappointed that it was so cliche in that harry and ginny got together and hermione and ron got together.

Still slightly confused over the whole wand thing and when it does/doesn't become the new owners rightfully - think I'm going to have to re-read!

lizziness
07-22-2007, 06:30 PM
I just finished - I read with nothing but short breaks to sleep and eat. I think it was definitely the best of all the books.

Someone in the other thread said they thought the epilogue was a bit cliche and I agree with that statement... but I do think it was a nice way to end up the series.

I felt that I was missing out on a reunion scene between Harry and Ginny.

I am wondering if Neville got the sword from the Room of Requirement? They mentioned that he had become a master of it... and also it did come to Harry in his time of need. She could have let us know that bit though...

lizziness
07-22-2007, 06:37 PM
and now that I am finally finished - I realize that I am in desperate need of a shower!!

Can't wait to hear from more people as they finish up the book.

jtammy
07-22-2007, 06:57 PM
The epilogue may have been cliched, but I'm still glad it was written in. I wanted to know that they were happy and safe.

The whole elder wand - who was the master - was confusing to me also. I think that Draco became the master of it when he disarmed Dumbledore right before Dumbledore was killed. Although Draco never picked it up or used it, he became the master. Voldemort stole it out of Dumblebore's grave, and he erroneously assumed that Snape was the master of it since Snape had killed Dumbledore. Harry disarmed Draco later, but Draco wasn't using that wand, so I'm not sure how Harry became the master of it (or was he, I'm fuzzy on that part).

Snapes memories were so heartbreaking. I really had a lot of sympathy for his character during that chapter. On the one hand, I wish Harry would have known about Snape's protection and his love for his mother while Snape was still alive. On the other hand, it makes it more poignant that he didn't know until it was too late.

On the sword, yes, he may have gotten it from the Room of Requirement. I had forgotten that comment about Neville being the master of it.

Lizziness, go take a shower. :)

jaxnlula
07-22-2007, 07:22 PM
I think that the sword just came from the hat. Dumbledore had told Harry that it comes only to a true Griffindor in time of need or something in Book 2, right?

I had to really think and re-read to understand the line of thinking about he master of the wand. - But I think Tammy has it right on.

Wasn't it soo good?

:)

As for the Epilogue, I wanted to know what Harry did for a living !!

browneyedgirl77
07-22-2007, 07:26 PM
I just finished it. It seems that a lot of people were right about the horcrux theory and Harry holding a part of Voldemort's soul.

I was also one of the believers in Snape. So to me that wasn't much of a surprise.

I also wonder how Neville got the sword. I mean it had to be the real one to get rid of the horcrux but how did he get it.

I thought that the book was a real heart string puller. I could not believe that she killed Hedwig. I actually thought out loud "that b#$%^ killed Hedwig." My DH looked at me like I was crazy. I know that JK said there would be a bloodbath but I never expected her to kill hedwig and no I don't think she is really a b-word but it totally took me by surprise. So many died it was so sad.

Overall, I'm still absorbing the whole book. I was surprised though that she left the series so open. I mean one of JK's biggest things wasn't leaving the story open so someone could continue it. The epilogue makes it totally possible to continue.

jtammy
07-22-2007, 07:28 PM
I think that the sword just came from the hat. Dumbledore had told Harry that it comes only to a true Griffindor in time of need or something in Book 2, right?

As for the Epilogue, I wanted to know what Harry did for a living !!

Yes, that's true, it came to Harry while he was in the chamber of secrets, didn't it.

I also wanted to know what Harry did for a living. Did he become an Auror or not? That's what I envisioned him doing. And what about Hermoine? She is so darn smart, I wanted to know what she did also.

jtammy
07-22-2007, 07:34 PM
Overall, I'm still absorbing the whole book. I was surprised though that she left the series so open. I mean one of JK's biggest things wasn't leaving the story open so someone could continue it. The epilogue makes it totally possible to continue.

I thought so too. Over and over I heard that she wanted to leave it so that no one could continue it, but it seemed to be left open to me.

Also, we just saw the OOTP movie last week. Did I miss it or did it show Snape's Worst Memory where Snape called Lily a Mudblood?

browneyedgirl77
07-22-2007, 07:36 PM
I never thought of that. I think I was so excited that I read over it too quickly but it does say that he pulls it out of the depths of the hat. Boy, do I feel silly.

browneyedgirl77
07-22-2007, 07:39 PM
The movie only showed the part with James, it doesn't show the part where Lily came to his defense.

lizziness
07-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Yay - I am clean now. :D

I must have missed him pull the sword from the hat too. oops.

I agree it feels like it's still open to a lot of things. But the story of Harry vs. Voldemort feels very much closed to me. The epilogue was a bit cliche feeling but it was needed and it was done well. I just want to know more about Harry's life with Ginny... or what happened to Luna, George, and some of the other characters.

Kim_Star060404
07-22-2007, 08:54 PM
I was enthralled from the beginning. I was also shocked that Hedwig died. I do wonder what the trio "are" doing for a living. I also think that Harry would've made a good Auror, but I wonder if the Ministry would see a need to reinstate that department with Voldemort and the Death Eaters gone. I mean, there would always probably be a threat of evil, but such a small one that Aurors were in the same tier as Arthur Weasley as far as Ministry importance goes. Then again, maybe the Ministry bestowed the three with millions of galleons for their services to the wizarding community and they all lived as millionaires until their deaths. :shrug:

I have to admit that I loved the fact that the epilogue was so cliche. It turned out how I really wanted it to with lots of Potter and Weasley mini wizards running around in a world of happiness. I like the cheesiness! :D

When I read the ending the first time (I read the last couple of chapters twice because there were so many twists and turns), I missed that Neville killed Nagini, so I thought the ending left that Horcrux "alive". I had to re-read it to realize Neville took care of it.

I was glad that Snape was good, but feel that his actions were mostly done begrudgingly and I didn't like that attitude. But, I guess it couldn't have been easy for him to agree to help and that would have made the story much less riveting!

jtammy
07-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Mentioning Luna reminded me of how much I loved reading the part about how her room was decorated. With the paintings of her new found friends and the word f-r-i-e-n-d around the room. Very cute! I found her character to be so charming.

tanyaf
07-22-2007, 10:05 PM
I thought Harry was the master of the elder wand because he was the direct descendant of the person who originally owned it. It didn't work for other wizards because they weren't its master, only the heir of an original owner could be its master. The idea that the master had to kill the previous owner to become its new master was just a myth.

Or did I misread that?

harrypotterybarn
07-22-2007, 10:05 PM
Mentioning Luna reminded me of how much I loved reading the part about how her room was decorated. With the paintings of her new found friends and the word f-r-i-e-n-d around the room. Very cute! I found her character to be so charming.

I'm not really what one would call an overly sentimental kind of person, but I was weeping through those passages. I'm still getting teary-eyed just thinking about it.

I mean, how much friends must have meant to her.....*sob*

sockmonkey70
07-22-2007, 10:20 PM
I'm not really what one would call an overly sentimental kind of person, but I was weeping through those passages. I'm still getting teary-eyed just thinking about it.

I mean, how much friends must have meant to her.....*sob*

I cried about that too.

I really didn't like the epilogue. It felt a little rushed to me, and didn't really give us any information besides things we would have guesed anyway (harry and ginny marry, ron and hermione marry...)

I was touched that Harry named one of his sons Albus Severus...In those final chapters after Snape's true nature was revealed, Harry didn't give much thought (or JK didn't write about it) to Snape..he went straight into thinking about Dumbledore and never really touched on Snape til the final battle. Snape's memories had me crying harder than anything..I could just feel his anguish and frustration..Heartbreaking!

Overall I think I really liked the book. I need to read it again to make sure though LOL.

jtammy
07-22-2007, 10:31 PM
I found both Neville and Luna very touching because these were not the "cool kids". These were kids that were fairly unpopular and were apt to be teased. Remember how they were the first DA members to show up at the Battle of Hogwarts because they checked their coins so frequently, hoping they would meet again.

Tanyaf, I'm not exactly sure about that. Harry was a direct descendant of the cloak's original owner, not the wand's original owner, although the cloak owner and wand owner were brothers, so maybe it didn't matter. I was and still am a little fuzzy over what control Harry had of the wand.

Kim, Snape was such a complicated character. Regardless of what he did for Harry in the end, he was quite nasty to him many times during his first six years at Hogwarts. And to Hermoine as well. I have wondered if the reason he acted like that was to keep the Slytherins from suspecting that he was actually Dumbledore's man, since the Gryffindors and Slytherins always seemed to have Potions together. That was never addressed in the book though, so that probably has nothing to do with it. Actually, I suppose we are told from Snape's memories that Harry reminded Snape of James so much that it influenced his opinion of him.

Sockmonkey, I was also wanting some type of acknowledgment from Harry about Snape in the ending. I wanted more than we got. Snape was an incredibly brave man in the end and while I appreciated Harry naming his son Albus Severus, I guess I was wanting some kind of proclamation after the battle at Hogwarts.

sockmonkey70
07-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Sockmonkey, I was also wanting some type of acknowledgment from Harry about Snape in the ending. I wanted more than we got. Snape was an incredibly brave man in the end and while I appreciated Harry naming his son Albus Severus, I guess I was wanting some kind of proclamation after the battle at Hogwarts.

Yep..I was hoping maybe we would get to see Snape once more the way Harry saw his parents and Dumbledore..but nope...

After reading Snape's memories, and thinking back to Snape asking Harry to "Look at me" in his dying breath...Just so he could see Lily's eyes one last time... **sssoooooobbbbbbbb** I think Snape is probably the most interesting character in the book for me, because he is just so tragic. Unlike with Harry, all Snape's good deeds and loyalty through immense turmoil would never bring him happiness or peace..Harry gets to atleast experience happiness and companionship. Snape is so alone...

Casandra
07-23-2007, 06:26 AM
Why 19 years later? We never knew if Harry really stepped up and took his godfather duties to Teddy, although I'm sure he would've had quite a time getting the baby off Tonk's mum.

I dont like how she just left it to the imagination. Why did we get to see anything more about what they all grew up to be? We got to find out that Neville Longbottom is teaching at Hogwarts but we dont know what, I dont recall anything about "herbology professor" being said. Maybe he teaches Defense Against the Dark Arts? who knows?!

That's what really got me sad. I wanted to have more than just "and they lived happily every after" at the end. There really isnt closure for the readers. She did say that she would never quash the possibility that she might revisit the world of Harry Potter in the future, but I was expecting a bit more out of the ending of the series I grew up with.

I'm overall very pleased with the book itself, I've read it 3 times over so far, and my sister in the USA complained that I'd read the book before she was even able to get her hands on it! lol

I didnt really burst out crying when Hedwig, Dobby, Tonks, Remus, Snape, or Fred died, but I did get a glisten and a clenching in my throat when Fred, Tonks and Remus died.

After George was injured, I figured that he wouldnt be one to die, because he's already been involved in a tragedy of sorts. I wasnt expecting Hedwig or Dobby to die, and I noticed a lady sat outside the bookstore reading the book as I left, she was sobbing so hard at the beginning of the book, I knew something bad was coming. Hedwig was Harry's first real connection to the magical world. Kept him in touch when he was unable to leave the cupboard under the stairs or his bedroom. Ah, me.

I got my hands on one of those "copies" of the book that everyone was so worried about possibly having been leaked, and it turns out that the actual book (as far as I'm aware, and I've done extensive searching) was never released online prior to actually being available for sale in the bookstores.

That was a big relief on my part, because I hate when people spoil things. Well, the best attempt at trying to be passed off as the actual book, was a cleverly written fan fiction. Very clever, I must say, but a bit too unlike JKR's writing style.

The instant I saw the phrase "felt his anatomy respond" I dismissed this as being the actual thing. JKR meant to keep this a children's story, and that's what she did. I cannot wait to pass this series onto my children (if/when I have any)!! ^-^

crazynette826
07-23-2007, 07:05 AM
Overall I liked the book, but I need to reread it again. I'm missing a few things, or they just didn't sink in yet. For example, I don't understand about the Elder wand either. I also couldn't believe how many people died. I'll admit it, I cried when Dobby died, and couldn't believe it when Hedwig died. I think my comment was very similar to Browneyedgirl's.

I also was touched by Snape's memories. I knew he couldn't be a bad guy. At first I was kind of disappointed that Harry didn't let everyone know about Snape at the end of the book, but with naming his child after him, I think that he's had to explain about Snape to everyone.

Most of it was done very well. Very action packed right from the start. And I also have to agree that I like the cheesy epilogue. It ended like I wanted it to. With everyone married, and cute little Potter/Weasley's running around, with important names. It's exactly as I imagined. I would have liked to know a few more details, like jobs? How's George doing without Fred? Who's the new headmaster? More about Teddy? More about Luna, Krum, Aberforth, etc.? Did all of the Death Eaters get rounded up, or is there still a group of them out there somewhere?

But maybe it's so we can use our own imaginations and fill in the blanks however we like.

browneyedgirl77
07-23-2007, 09:14 AM
Total tear jerker. I don't think I've cried sooooo many times while reading a book. When Harry was seeing Snape's memories I had to go to my room because my little girls kept asking me what was wrong because mommy(me) was balling.

harrypotterybarn
07-23-2007, 11:00 AM
About the wand mastery: At the top of the Astronomy Tower in HPB Draco was the one to disarm Dumbledore, so technically he won the wand then. Though he never had it in his possession, it was technically his. Then, at the Malfoy's Harry wrestled Draco's wand away from him, so now Harry was master of the Elder Wand via Draco's substitute wand. Not sure I buy that totally, but they did say wandlore was a bit complicated.

Kim_Star060404
07-23-2007, 11:12 AM
I agree harrypotterybarn, that's how I believe Harry came into possession of the elder wand. I remember somewhere in several of the books things being said along the lines of "it's not the wand, it's the wizard". I think this would SORT OF explain the idea that once a wizard disarmed the elder wand master, they became the elder wand master themselves, not because of the particular wand they were holding.

jtammy
07-23-2007, 11:18 AM
I just remembered something that I wondered about while I was reading the book. I assumed it would get answered later, but I don't think it did.

What was the "small naked child" bundle that Dumbledore and Harry saw at the place that resembled Kings Cross Station? Harry was repulsed by it and Dumbledore told Harry that he couldn't help it. I don't think it represented Voldemort because at that point Voldemort was still alive and in power. Any ideas?

ShyCammie
07-23-2007, 11:19 AM
Wow, I know I read the book fast and missed somethings that I've tried to go back for, but other stuff I seem to have picked up.
The book does describe Neville as the herbology professor (US pg 757 "I can't walin into Herbology and give him love...". I suspected Neville to be the one that became a teacher. Thought he did a great job of "growing up and taking charge" and would love to hear more about Gran now.
My understanding is: Gryffindor's sword always came to the loyal Gryffindor in time of need. All Neville had to do was think "Harry gave me the task to kill the snake, just how am I going to do that?" and it should have appeared. Griphook didn't understand the sword and will be sore that he "lost" it.
The Elder wand: Draco would have been it's master if he'd have picked it up when he disarmed Dumbledore in the HBP. But he didn't. Instead the wand was returned to the body and buried with it...leaving Dumbledore the master. When Voldemort took it, he did become the master of it...but, the wand chooses the wizard. So it's unlikely that he'd truly master it EVER if the wand didn't choose him. The wand was rightfully Harry's when he "won" it from Voldemort. Because he was a direct descendant of the Peverells, he had a connection that the wand would/should recognize. Harry, like Dumbledore, like Grindelwald, felt the power of the wand. (That incredible power repared the Holley Phonix wand because the Elder wand was won, not given to Harry.)
Draco's wand: Harry took it from Draco (by force) and therefore was the wand realigned with Harry.
The thing that I'm still missing, even after a partial re-read is from one of JKRs interviews. She said that someone (previously unable) would be able to do majic in this book. Many people were thinking Mrs. Figg or Mr. Filch. JKR said that Petunia would never be able to do it. I couldn't find anyone/anything that fit that description. What am I missing?
I'd also like to know what Harry's parents did for a living, had they acutally moved to the house they were killed in or was that Dumbledore's? What was Lilly's patronus? What do the three main charachters do for a living as adults? Did they go back to school and get a degree? Did Harry ever see the Dursley's again? Did they drive Ms Jones & Mr. Diggory insane?
As to the cliche ending, I liked it...I still miss Hedwig.

sarah44
07-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Hi all -

I read the book yesterday! Ollivander answers the question about wand ownership on pg. 494 - "the conquered wand will usually bend its will to its new master." That's why Harry had trouble using a borrowed wand after his wand was broken - he hadn't conquered the wand by taking it from its owner by force.

Dumbledore took the Elder wand from Grindelwald. When Voldemort took it from Dumbledore's grave, it wasn't as powerful as he expected it would be, and the reason was that he hadn't conquered it by taking it from its new owner. He thought that Snape had disarmed Dumbledore, because Snape killled Dumbledore, so he killed Snape to conquer the Elder wand. But in fact it was Draco who had disarmed Dumbledore, and Snape never defeated him, because they planned his death together, so Draco became the next "master" of the Elder wand.

Harry disarmed Draco, and it was his wand that he took into the last fight with Voldemort. Which is why he said, "So it all comes down to this, doesn't it? Does the wand in your hand know its last master was Disarmed? Because if it does... I am the true master of the Elder Wand." And in the end, the answer was the wand did know, because it came to Harry's hand and would not kill him.

sarah44
07-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Whoops - we all posted about wands simultaneously!

RocknRoll
07-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Does anyone else think that Albus Severus should have been named Albus Sirius? i know Snape played a huge role in the final book but I still think that Harry would associate the name Severus with the bad memories at Hogwarts

sockmonkey70
07-23-2007, 11:38 AM
I just remembered something that I wondered about while I was reading the book. I assumed it would get answered later, but I don't think it did.

What was the "small naked child" bundle that Dumbledore and Harry saw at the place that resembled Kings Cross Station? Harry was repulsed by it and Dumbledore told Harry that he couldn't help it. I don't think it represented Voldemort because at that point Voldemort was still alive and in power. Any ideas?

I didn't really get that either...

Edit: Wikipedia described it as the part of Voldemorts soul that died when Harry did.

RocknRoll
07-23-2007, 11:49 AM
The bundle was Voldemort. I got that impression when I read it. If you remember, everyone was crowded around Voldemort when Harry returned from Kings Cross. He was in the other 'world' as well.

browneyedgirl77
07-23-2007, 12:01 PM

Perhaps maybe it was the horcrux. The part of Voldemort's soul that was inside of Harry. I don't think that Voldemort would have felt it die. The other destroyed horcruxes didn't affect him. It seemed that only the destruction of Nagini did.

ShyCammie When Harry is talking to Voldemort about his mother he says that Snapes patronus was a doe like Lily's.
Right before Neville cuts off Nagini's head it says that he pulled something silvery from the depths of the sorting hat.

browneyedgirl77
07-23-2007, 12:02 PM
I think we were all posting at the same time lol.

AmandaD
07-23-2007, 12:34 PM
Great insights everyone. I loved this book but now I don't know what to do with myself because the series is over. Do any of you feel the same? I never thought I would get so into a character and story. I feel like I'm going through mourning.

I read through it so quickly I've started rereading it again slowly.

aphil
07-23-2007, 01:08 PM
I finished the book yesterday, but had not had time yet to post. :)

As far as Albus's middle name being Severus, I think it fits. :) They never really went into the middle names of other children, Lily and James, so maybe James' middle name was Sirius, to put the two best friends "together".

I also right away knew that the heap in Kings Crossing was Voldemort. Kings crossing to me, was a metaphor of the threashold between death and life, and Harry deciding which way to "go".

I also cried during numerous times in the book...especially when Snape asked Harry to look at him. I also felt for Petunia...she was jealous and felt left out, and covered it up with hatred.

Rowling put the "19 years later" in there, because it was her way of making it so the series would not go on. Voldemort was gone, and rather than just leaving it like that...she went 19 years into the future, so Harry, Ron, and Hermione wouldn't be open for an adventure a year or two later.

harrypotterybarn
07-23-2007, 01:25 PM
i wonder how long it will be until we get to see "Teddy Lupin and the Resurrection Stone" ;)

TeresaR
07-23-2007, 02:36 PM
I loved the book. I admit I cried when Dobby died and Harry dug the grave. And I loved how Neville got to show that he was courageous and ended up being the one who got to kill Nagini. I did want to find out what carrers everyone ended up with. All we know is that Neville became the herbology teacher. But I figured that Harry and Ginny would marry and that Ron and Hermione would marry. I also wanted to know more about Draco and his family at the end-as to how they were veiwed by the rest after their fall from grace with Voldemort.

KO
07-23-2007, 02:52 PM
Quick Question? Who displayed Magic that hadn't?

Kim_Star060404
07-23-2007, 02:52 PM
I wasn't able to find anyone that displayed magic that hadn't.

harrypotterybarn
07-23-2007, 02:57 PM
I wasn't able to find anyone that displayed magic that hadn't.

I couldn't find anyone either. I was sooo hoping it would have been Petunia. How cool would it have been to find out she had been living in denial since childhood.

melekalikimaka
07-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Just finished the book this morning. I kept putting it down because I didn't want the story to end. I felt bad for Snape and his memories, but actually only cried at the end when Harry's son was named Albus Severus...

I think Hedwig's and Fred's deaths were the most shocking to me :cry: I always suspected Snape would get his comeuppance for his nasty treatment of Harry, but at the end of HBP when he was deflecting the jinxs and spells Harry was casting at him, I just knew he was good guy inside. *sigh* I can't believe this is the last book. :(

mandalinn82
07-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Discussion Topic: Which deaths were the hardest for you? Which do you think were the two that JK did not intend to die but that she ended up writing deaths for, per her interviews? What about the one character she meant to have die who she gave a reprieve to?

The two hardest deaths for me were Dobby and Hedwig. These were some of the only characters that had never really done anything in the slightest negative way to Harry. Snape would have been hard, too, but I'd already resigned myself to it immediately after book 6, as it seemed really very inevitable to me.

I don't think I ever really attached to Fred, or at least, hadn't distinguished him enough through the books from George to feel like they were separate. So yes, Fred was gone, but George was still there...for some reason that made it less upsetting to me than, say, if Bill had died, or if both twins had died.

aphil
07-23-2007, 03:58 PM
As far as the person who performed magic who hadn't before...I was thinking of a couple different people. I think that when Rowling mentioned it in an interview, that everyone assumed it would be a "bigger" character and a bigger event (the performing of magic), like Petunia...but what about Ted Tonks? Her mother, Narcissa and Bellatrix's sister, was burned out of the family tapestry because she married a muggle or muggleborn or something along those lines and had Nymphadora...it might be him. I will need to check the older books and see if it could be.

Another person I thought of was Stan, the former Knight Bus worker who joined the Death Eaters...

As far as the deaths per Mandalinn's discussion:

The deaths that were the hardest for me:

Snape. Absolutely-even though I knew it was coming. Secondly, probably Tonks and Lupin, simply because they just had a baby, and left their newborn to fight against Voldemort and the Death Eaters.

The two that maybe were not originally meant to die, but she added them in (per interviews) I would guess that it would probably be either Tonks/Lupin/Fred. Simply because they were not written out as much as the other deaths...

If I had to guess at someone who was originally supposed to die, but Rowling changed her mind...I would guess either Ron or Hermione...

harrypotterybarn
07-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Worst deaths for me: Hedwig and Fred. Hedwig because it was a complete surprise and because they describe her as a little lump in the bottom of the cage, such a sad little image. Fred because it's so easy to imagine how broken George must feel, although I must admit my best guess as to who died was a Weasley twin.

Have we seen Hagrid use magic before? (memory is failing me here) I know it's implied that he does us it periodically even though he's not supposed to, but he definitely used it during the motorcycle flight.

Kim_Star060404
07-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Hagrid used magic in HP:SS when he lit the fire while talking to Harry and also when he gave Dudley the pig's tail.

sockmonkey70
07-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Discussion Topic: Which deaths were the hardest for you? Which do you think were the two that JK did not intend to die but that she ended up writing deaths for, per her interviews? What about the one character she meant to have die who she gave a reprieve to?

1. Snape..hands down. Knew he would probably die, but he seems to be, for some reason, the character I have had the most emotional investment in..And finding out he had lived his entire life for someone else..Lived a life of lies, where he knew he would be despised...All for someone else. How much more selfless does it get? His love was so great that he took it upon himself to protect a boy, who would only remind him of what he lost and cause him all the more torment. It was just an extremely intricate character for me, and those are the best kind.

2. Hedwig, because for so long that was Harry's only friend.

I was really expecting a more monumental death. The deaths of Fred, Tonks and Lupin were sad because of the effect they would have on the people left behind, but it just didn't evoke the emotion of someone like Hermione, Ron or Harry dying. The death of Fred was purely emotionless for me when I read it, so if one was written in I would guess that was it.

jtammy
07-23-2007, 05:34 PM
The death that was hardest for me would also be Snape. I was expecting it but I still found it heartbreaking. The second for me was Lupin. I was so pleased that he and Tonks had found happiness together. Lupin had had a pretty miserable existence being a werewolf. I felt like he deserved a chance for happiness with Tonks and with their baby. I also felt like Snape deserved happiness, but I don't think he would have ever moved on past his grief and his guilt at Lily's death.

I was expecting Percy to die for some reason. Of course I was wrong there. Mandalinn I understand exactly what you mean about Fred's death. I have always enjoyed the antics of Fred and George, but they had always been a pair, and I don't feel like I got to know them seperately.

aphil
07-23-2007, 06:10 PM
I think the death of Fred was emotionless to me when I read it in the book, but the more I reflect back on it, it has affected me more. Simply because of George being left behind...and the loss of a twin for the one remaining is greater than the loss of a regular sibling. They have never known life without one another, and the bonding starts in the womb...and it makes it worse knowing that they worked together as well and were partners in crime in their jokes, and now George is in it alone.

browneyedgirl77
07-23-2007, 08:09 PM
For me hands down the hardest death was Snape's I wanted him to be vindicated in life and not in death. The second like Sockmonkey is Hedwig for the exact same reason. I also did not expect JK to kill Hedwig and so quickly it was a complete shock. Dobby was a close third. He was treated badly for so long and was finally free and risked his life to save Harry.

The two characters that I thought that she decided to add to the death list is Lupin and Tonks. It seems that their deaths weren't given much thought.

The character who I think got the reprieve is Hagrid.

As for the person who never used magic before I have no clue.

browneyedgirl77
07-23-2007, 08:16 PM
OMG I just had an epiphany. Do you think that JK meant Molly? It seems that Mrs. Weasley only used her magic for housework and stuff. Maybe JK meant a display of magic not necessarily the first use of it. Molly uses avada kedavra and kills Bellatrix. Totally out of Molly's character. I don't think a strength like that has ever been displayed by Molly before.

aphil
07-23-2007, 08:23 PM
There were numerous times during the book where I cried-but not always during the scene where someone died, but here are a few of the places where I ended up bawling because I was so emotionally moved

~When they were preparing Dobby for burial, and everyone gave him an article of clothing.

~When the horcrux locket was opened up, and talking to Ron, and he was being told that he was second best to Harry, that Hermione preferred Harry over him, and that his mother was yearning for a girl when she had him (after already having so many sons, etc.).

~When the Dursleys were departing, and Dudley asked why Harry wasn't going with them.

~The description of Luna's bedroom with the mural of Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Neville painted there.

~When Kreatcher told them the story of Regulus staying in the cave, sending Kreatcher back home, the night that he switched lockets, and Harry giving Kreatcher the decoy locket that Regulus had owned.

aphil
07-23-2007, 08:25 PM
OMG I just had an epiphany. Do you think that JK meant Molly? It seems that Mrs. Weasley only used her magic for housework and stuff. Maybe JK meant a display of magic not necessarily the first use of it. Molly uses avada kedavra and kills Bellatrix. Totally out of Molly's character. I don't think a strength like that has ever been displayed by Molly before.

I don't know. It is hard to say, really, because we don't know what all her missions were with the original Order when she was in it with Harry's parents, and everyone else when they were younger.

sockmonkey70
07-23-2007, 08:50 PM
There were numerous times during the book where I cried-but not always during the scene where someone died, but here are a few of the places where I ended up bawling because I was so emotionally moved

~When they were preparing Dobby for burial, and everyone gave him an article of clothing.

~When the horcrux locket was opened up, and talking to Ron, and he was being told that he was second best to Harry, that Hermione preferred Harry over him, and that his mother was yearning for a girl when she had him (after already having so many sons, etc.).

~When the Dursleys were departing, and Dudley asked why Harry wasn't going with them.

~The description of Luna's bedroom with the mural of Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Neville painted there.

~When Kreatcher told them the story of Regulus staying in the cave, sending Kreatcher back home, the night that he switched lockets, and Harry giving Kreatcher the decoy locket that Regulus had owned.

You pretty much nailed all of mine except for Snape's memories :D

aphil
07-23-2007, 09:21 PM
Snape's memories was one of mine as well...but I assumed that it was a given. :D

I was extremely emotionally vested in him. I am so glad that his feelings for Harry, Dumbledore, and Lily, were what I anticipated. I would have been devastated if he would have really been on Voldemort's side.

lizziness
07-24-2007, 01:04 AM
I had a hard time with the scene with Harry at his parent's grave (although for some sick reason was also excited to find out that he has my exact birthday to the year!).. and for some reason I found the scene with Molly fighting Bellatrix to choke me up...not sure why really. I guess she's always been a mother hen protecting her brood.

It didn't surprise me that Fred died - so many Weasleys that they couldn't get away without at least one of them dying in the war. :(
I was however totally shocked about the Doe being Snape's Patronus... I was entirely convinced until the end that the Doe belonged to Ginny...to go with Harry's Stag.

Sakai
07-24-2007, 02:47 AM
I teared up when Dobby died and Harry wrote
"Here lies Dobby, A free Elf."
I thought I was gonna just break down. But I was able to hold it together.
I didn't start weeping until page 700

"You'll stay with me?"
"Until the very end" Said James
"They won't be able to see you?" Asked Harry.
"We are a part of you." said Sirius. "Invisible to anyone else."
Harry looked at his mother.
"Stay close to me." he said quietly.

And then harry walks to what he thinks is his death... tears were dripping on the page. It was so sad, that he had all his dead loved ones around him, thinking he would soon be with them. I thought for sure Harry was gonna die.

I Hated that Lupin and Tonks died, it seemed so needless, like JK added that just to make the reader more upset.
And I was upset when Fred died and they had to shove his body in some corner. So wrong.
Hedwig, that was the last character I thought would ever die. Why? why did she have to die? Harry could of just set her free if it was a quesstion of him dragging her along in the tent and all. I also think she just added that in there to upset readers.

I knew Snape would die and I knew he was a good guy.. (i always said that Snape killed Dumbledore on his orders.) but I was shocked to find out just how much he was in love with Lilly. friends yes...but I didn't think they were childhood freinds and that he begged for her life. it made me so mad that Harry and Snape never got to smooth out their relationship... like harry did with Dudley

Edit: Oh, I forgot to ask. why was the British version on the book 608 pages long when the US is 759 pages?

Mummy_Tummy
07-24-2007, 03:37 AM
I think Tonks and Lupin died so that the story could come full circle as suddenly, there was Harry, godfather to an orphaned baby whose parents died fighting Voldemort. I got the impression Teddy lived with Tonks' mum but visited Harry and his famiy often. I liked that he was kissing the Weasly cousin Victoire (obviously Bill and Fleur's daughter and named for the victory over Voldemort) and would more than likely be a member of the family some day.

I think Snape's death was done really well in that I would never have bought a huge emotional reconciliation between him and Harry after 7 years of dislike, suspicion and downright hatred. The fact that he named his son after him and told him it was because he was the bravest man he ever knew says alot, though. It was the same with the Dursleys. Vernon gave nothing away, Petunia wanted to say something but didn't and Dudley, just those few simple words and sentiments he expressed I felt were more touching than anything else. Likewise, I liked the curt but non-antagonistic way that Draco and Harry acknowledged each other on the Hogwarts Express platform. Obviously they were never going to be best buds but the animosity was gone.

I cried when Fred died and I had really hoped he'd turn up as a ghost at Hogwarts as that seems a very Fred thing to do.

And now we know why JK Rowling insisted Kreacher was left in the Phoenix movie when the director wanted to leave him out.

I loved that Neville took the sword out of the Sorting Hat just like Harry did back in Chamber of Secrets and also the fact that everyone had a hand in destroying the Horcruxes. I suspect I'd have been more upset at Neville's death than anyone else's except maybe Hagrid.

Oh! And the one thing that I thought was so sneaky but so well done was planting suspicion against the Order in our minds at the beginning! Can you believe at first I suspected Mrs. Weasley (Voldemort threatening her family and all) and then I suspected Hermione (thinking maybe her parents weren't really in Australia at all and Voldemort had them). I can't believe I fell into her cleverly laid trap like that, hehe. I was so relieved that it ended up being the name itself that was tracked!

I thought it was a worthy ending, I really did. And I think she deliberatey went so far into the future to assure us all was well so there's no more story to tell. I suppose spin-off books about the kids adventures at Hogwarts cold potentially be in the offing but gawd, I hope not! Let it end nobly.

Casandra
07-24-2007, 04:26 AM
Edit: Oh, I forgot to ask. why was the British version on the book 608 pages long when the US is 759 pages?

The British version of the books is much smaller than the USA versions. The covers are different as well. They can fit more print on the pages of the USA version, I assume. I've had all of the books in both the USA and UK versions.

Casandra
07-24-2007, 04:33 AM
I thought it was a worthy ending, I really did. And I think she deliberatey went so far into the future to assure us all was well so there's no more story to tell. I suppose spin-off books about the kids adventures at Hogwarts cold potentially be in the offing but gawd, I hope not! Let it end nobly.

The thing is, there was a lot more she could have told. And she never said she was through with that world. She said she was always open to the possibility of revisiting the world of magic and Hogwarts.

I was terribly upset by the ending of the book, because we never found out what really happened with Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione. I figured Hermione would go back to teach, Ron would work in the Ministry like his father, and that Ginny and Harry would've been aurors. I wish that had been cleared up, although its nice to see that Percy was either doing something at Hogwarts or the Ministry at the end. Shouting about broomstick regulations.

And as for their children? Harry and Ginny have 3 as far as we know, but what about this Victoire? She could be another child of Ron/Hermione's, or she could belong to another Weasley, seeing as Lily Potter called her their cousin, and said she hoped Ted married her so he really would be part of the family....

I actually cried once or twice in the book. When Fred died, and during Snape's memory, and when Harry was holding the stone and all the people he loved who had passed were there with him. I never expected Fred to die, I'd always had Percy pinned to do some fantastic feat and get tortured for information, but he would've never given in.

Mummy_Tummy
07-24-2007, 07:16 AM
I figure Victoire was Fleur and Bill's daughter cos it's a French name.

aphil
07-24-2007, 09:15 AM
I was however totally shocked about the Doe being Snape's Patronus... I was entirely convinced until the end that the Doe belonged to Ginny...to go with Harry's Stag.

I thought that it might have been Snape helping him find the sword, but I was a little hesitant...
I thought about Harry's patronus being a stag because his memory (from what I guessed) was of seeing his parents in the mirror from book 1. When Lupin told him to think of a happy memory to produce a patronus, he sortof hinted that it wasn't really a memory, but it was all he had. His was a stag because it involved thinking about his father. Lily's was a doe to go with James' stag...and Snape's was a doe because he was thinking about memories with her.

Before the book came out, I fully expected Snape's patronus to be something to do with alliegance to Lily and Dumbledore, so I was actually expecting a phoenix holding a lily, or something along those lines. But, before book 7, we never knew what Lily's patronus was...just James'.

I figure Victoire was Fleur and Bill's daughter cos it's a French name.

That is exactly what I concluded as well.

Honestly, the only part of the book that I was disappointed in at all, was the epilogue. Rather than having it play out in a scene showing the trio with their kids and names...I would have rather had it sorta like the end of the movie "Can't Hardly Wait", where it might have said "Neville became the Herbology professor at Hogwarts, Minerva McGonagall was headmistress for such-and-such years there, Lucius Malfoy went to Azkaban, etc.

Rather than a full chapter on the trio and their kids, I would have rather known a sentence or two about most of the remaining characters-where they ended up.

browneyedgirl77
07-24-2007, 09:38 AM
Honestly, the only part of the book that I was disappointed in at all, was the epilogue. Rather than having it play out in a scene showing the trio with their kids and names...I would have rather had it sorta like the end of the movie "Can't Hardly Wait", where it might have said "Neville became the Herbology professor at Hogwarts, Minerva McGonagall was headmistress for such-and-such years there, Lucius Malfoy went to Azkaban, etc.

I totally agree. So many loose ends. "Can' Hardly Wait" I remember seeing it in the theater with my friends. Oh, to be a teenager! lol

Kim_Star060404
07-24-2007, 09:40 AM
I agree, Aphil. That ending would have been much more enjoyable and informative for me.

I honestly hope that this isn't the last we see of Hogwarts stories from Rowling. Not necessarily more in the Harry Potter series, but I wouldn't say no to reading back-stories regarding all of the wizarding families involved in the series, or the initial rise of Voldemort up until the confrontation when the Potters' were killed. I'm not saying I want her to write more for her or my benefit, it's just that her writing has already inspired SO many people to read, something a lot of people just don't do for pleasure.

aphil
07-24-2007, 09:50 AM
Oh...I forgot!

Add another part to my list of crying episodes:

When Aberforth is telling Harry about Ariana, and he talks about how she liked him best, and he used to take her out to feed the goats.

(It must have been his fondest memory, because his patronus was a goat.)

:(

Piiper33
07-24-2007, 10:43 AM
I love, love, love, LOVED the book. I read it in 12 hours. Only stopping to sleep. I didn't even catch the fact that Nevelle used the Gryffindor sword to kill the snake until I read ya'lls comments. So, now I am a tad confused on that one. But overall I thought it was a fantastic ending to the series. I am very sad that there will be no more Harry and friends. But I thought she did a wonderful job and I wasn't disappointed. Also, she did a great job convincing me that Snape was evil right up until the end~! I was so surprised that he turned out to be not such a bad guy. I hope the next book she puts out is as easy to love as this series was.

Schmoodle
07-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Can we go back to the "bundle" Harry saw when he was at the King's Cross Station with Dumbledore? You guys thought it was the part of V's soul that was in Harry, but I didn't read it that way. When Harry meets Voldemort at the end, doesn't he tell him he's seen what he'll become if he can't find any remorse for his deeds? I thought he meant that bundle and, since he found no remorse, I wondered if that meant that there's still a piece of Voldemort somewhere in the universe. And does that mean that someday he might possible be resurrected? What do you think?

aphil
07-24-2007, 10:46 AM
I assumed that Neville got the sword of Gryffindor the same way that Harry did in Chamber Of Secrets-by showing the ultimate alliegance to Gryffindor. Dumbledore told Harry that only a true Gryffindor could have pulled the sword out of the sorting hat.

The hat appeared for Neville with the sword inside, as well-when Voldemort was giving him a "chance" to switch sides because of his pure blood status.

aphil
07-24-2007, 10:50 AM
Can we go back to the "bundle" Harry saw when he was at the King's Cross Station with Dumbledore? You guys thought it was the part of V's soul that was in Harry, but I didn't read it that way. When Harry meets Voldemort at the end, doesn't he tell him he's seen what he'll become if he can't find any remorse for his deeds? I thought he meant that bundle and, since he found no remorse, I wondered if that meant that there's still a piece of Voldemort somewhere in the universe. And does that mean that someday he might possible be resurrected? What do you think?

No, there is no bit of Voldemort left. That bundle was there at Kings Cross when Harry was-when they were both knocked out when Voldemort tried to kill Harry. They both "came to" at the same time, when Harry was playing dead. That is when both of their beings at Kings Cross both returned to their bodies, and they awoke with the Death Eaters-when Harry was playing dead, he could hear the others asking V if he was okay, etc.

Their souls were both in limbo between life and death for a couple of minutes there at Kings Cross, and then their souls both returned to their bodies. I took the flayed baby as a representation of how ripped apart V's soul was because of the Horcruxes-whereas Harry's was still whole.

Those souls were both back in their bodies when Voldemort performed the Avada Kedavra, which backfired on V and killed him, leaving Harry alive.

Mummy_Tummy
07-24-2007, 11:12 AM
I think V is truly gone, as well and I loved the way she wrote something like "Tom Riddle fell backwards and hit the ground in a very mundane way" to show that despite all his efforts, he could not cheat death in the end.

And yeah, the crying baby thing was V's soul, only 2/8ths complete, really (the part in Harry having been destroyed when he sacrificed himself, there was just the bit in Nagini and the one remaining w V). And Harry was whole. I loved the way Dumledore said he didn't have to go back, he could just get on a train and go "on". He did tell Harry once that death was the next great adventure.

jtammy
07-24-2007, 03:37 PM
When Aberforth is telling Harry about Ariana, and he talks about how she liked him best, and he used to take her out to feed the goats.

(It must have been his fondest memory, because his patronus was a goat.)

:(

Oh my, I missed this connection when I was reading it. How sweet and sad. :(

Ellen
07-24-2007, 07:42 PM
At the end of the big battle, when Harry and Voldemort were circling each other for the final time, Harry explained about the wand. He was the master of the elder wand because Draco disarmed Dumbledore, and he disarmed Draco. I guess the magic of it did not matter if it were the actual wand, or in the winner's possession. I thought it was clever that it worked that way, because when Harry went into the forest to meet Voldemort, he was in possession of, or at least master of, all three of the Deathly Hallows, which according to the legend would render him invincible. As the true master of the elder wand, there was no way he could be killed by it, so only the piece of Voldemort's soul in him was in danger. Of course, Harry did not realize that.

I liked the symbolism of using a baby for Voldemort's soul. He was kind of stunted emotionally from the way he grew up- in an orphanage, with no love. Inside, he was like a neglected baby who never grew up emotionally.

I read the book really fast, and would love to go back and re-read some parts, but my family is fighting over who has reading time with it now! I am trying to stay out of it and am just hoping they all finish it soon so I can have it back! :lol:

Andie5205
07-26-2007, 09:16 AM
I read an article yesterday about a post book release interview that J.K. did. She said that Arthur Weasley was the death that she repreived, she said she had planned to kill him in book 5 (I assume when Nagini attacked him). She also said that she is planning on writting an enclyopedia of info with all the info on the characters and such that didn't make it into any of the books. But said not to hold our breaths for it because she wanted to take a rest before doing it.
I am personally still in a Harry Potter mourning state of mind. I feel so very sad that the journey is over.
This last book, while missing a few things I would like to have seen, was extremely well written. It was emotional and action packed, just like the last book should be. I cried my way through almost all of it, lol. I am now re-reading it a 2nd time just to pick up any thing I might of missed & to prolong saying goodbye.

Kim_Star060404
07-26-2007, 09:59 AM
I just read a transcript from J K Rowling's interview with Meredith Vieira and she revealed a lot!

Harry and Ron work at the ministry as Aurors. They revolutionized the department and Harry is now the head.

Hermione is "pretty high up" in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.

It says that, "Harry, Ron and Hermione don't join the same Ministry of Magic they had been at odds with for years; they revolutionize it and the ministry evolves into a 'really good place to be.'" "'They make a new world,' Rowling said".

Luna becomes the wizarding equivalent of a naturalist. She comes to see the truth about her father, that some creatures don't exist.

Neville, it says, finds happiness in his grandmother's approval and that his job as herbology prof at Hogwarts.

paperclippy
07-26-2007, 12:54 PM
I finally finished the book yesterday afternoon! Definitely action-packed and hard to put down. I had heard the Snape/Lily theories after book 6 and was glad to see it was true, but for a while in the middle I was convinced Snape actually was evil!

I was glad to see Draco was somewhat redeemed as well. I did end up feeling bad for the Malfoys. I wish Neville could have gotten to kill Bellatrix though, that would have been appropriate.

The two deaths that I thought were hardest and most unexpected were Hedwig and Fred. Hedwig because it was a total surprise and I have a soft spot for animals, and Fred because I felt so bad for George. I mean, the two of them finished each other's sentences -- how must it feel to lose someone you are that close to?

aphil
07-26-2007, 01:46 PM
When I first read the book, I thought that it should have been Neville to kill Bellatrix, but then the more I thought about it, it would have meant that he was doing it for revenge. Even though Bellatrix did hurt his parents, it was Voldemort that put that whole thing into motion...so I think it was even more appropriate that he got to become the "leader" of the DA after Harry skipped his senior year at Hogwarts, and that he got to destroy Nagini and the horcrux inside-especially after being face to face with V, and basically telling him to screw off to his face. :lol:

The more I thought about it, it made Bellatrix's slaying into Molly protecting her family, rather than Neville killing for revenge.

sirak
07-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Breath in deep....

Finished ‘Potter’? Rowling tells what happens next (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19959323/)

Andie5205
07-26-2007, 09:06 PM
J.k. was on the front page of USA Today. They did a quick article on her and the book. Kind of a repeat of all the other interviews she has done. I picked up a copy and slipped the article into the dust jacket of my book. Its totally the ending of an era for me. *sniff*

browneyedgirl77
07-26-2007, 09:41 PM
It makes me wonder though, how long can she stay away from the world of HP if she has already thought of all this back story? She has invested so much of herself in it a lot more than most writers. What is she going to do now?

jtammy
07-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Although she has all of this back story in her mind or even written out, I have to wonder if she wouldn't be getting a bit tired of writing about the wizarding world. Of course, we all love him as I sure she does too, but after working on this same "job" for the last 17 years, I wonder if she is looking forward to writing about something else.

My favorite author ever is Agatha Christie. One of her most famous characters, Hercule Poirot, was in her books for over 40 years and is loved by many mystery fans. However, in her autobiography and in interviews, she was brutally honest in talking about she was so tired of writing about him and wished she had never created him. In all fairness, I've not held the same job for 17 years, much less 40 years, so I guess I can somewhat understand that feeling.

On another note, I had a co-worker tell me that she is a big fan, but she hasn't finished Half-Blood Prince because she is wanting to prolong and savor it, since there is only one more after it. I just thought that was interesting. I can't imagine being able to do that.

I want to re-read Deathly Hallows slowly so to see what I may have missed earlier. DH is reading it now and he isn't a very fast reader though, so it may be a while.

Andie5205
07-27-2007, 07:11 AM
It makes me wonder though, how long can she stay away from the world of HP if she has already thought of all this back story? She has invested so much of herself in it a lot more than most writers. What is she going to do now?

She did say that she has two writing projects going, one for adults & one for children, neither involving Harry or the wizarding world she has created.

While I love the books and am very sad to see them end, I do think that its best that they did. To continue writing about it now would be doing a disservice to the series. Like beating a dead horse. Its good that it ended now while the story still has its integrity.

Andie5205
07-27-2007, 07:19 AM
On another note, I had a co-worker tell me that she is a big fan, but she hasn't finished Half-Blood Prince because she is wanting to prolong and savor it, since there is only one more after it. I just thought that was interesting. I can't imagine being able to do that.

I so planned on do this with the last book. Told myself to read it very slowly before I got it so that it could last. Made a mental plan to read no more then one chapter a night. lol It didn't work. I read the whole book in about 3 days which shows some restraint (alot of people read it in mere hours) but not enough. But thats ok, all good things have to come to an end. We can always re-read the series and re-live the fantasies.

Kim_Star060404
07-27-2007, 09:48 AM
I'll have to find the article again, but somewhere JK Rowling said that she was pretty much already writing the next Harry Potter-related book which is an encyclopedia regarding pretty much everything in the wizarding world.

MaNdA22
07-27-2007, 10:35 AM
I loved the book. Although, I wish the ending had more to it. Like what did harry/ron/hermione choose as careers?? Stuff like that. But I was crying like a big dork when Harry was walking to his "death" with his parents and everyone around him.

MaNdA22
07-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Thought you guys might enjoy this lol.
Potter Puppet Pals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1XIm6q4r4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD-Huwlg2kY

Kim_Star060404
07-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Manda: I wanted to repost this for you. I'll look for the link for the article and add it in later. Okay, just go to "www." "msnbc.msn.com/id/19959323/"

I just read a transcript from J K Rowling's interview with Meredith Vieira and she revealed a lot!

Harry and Ron work at the ministry as Aurors. They revolutionized the department and Harry is now the head.

It says that, "Harry, Ron and Hermione don't join the same Ministry of Magic they had been at odds with for years; they revolutionize it and the ministry evolves into a 'really good place to be.'" "'They make a new world,' Rowling said".

Luna becomes the wizarding equivalent of a naturalist. She comes to see the truth about her father, that some creatures don't exist.

Neville, it says, finds happiness in his grandmother's approval and that his job as herbology prof at Hogwarts.

MaNdA22
07-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Manda: I wanted to repost this for you. I'll look for the link for the article and add it in later. Okay, just go to "www." "msnbc.msn.com/id/19959323/"

Wow, thanks I didn't know that :)

Kim_Star060404
07-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Thought you guys might enjoy this lol.
Potter Puppet Pals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1XIm6q4r4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD-Huwlg2kY

That is HILARIOUS! I've passed it around the office already! Thanks!

lizziness
07-27-2007, 12:11 PM
it's been almost a whole week. and i'm still pretty sad about it all being over.

read an article last night talking about how it would be perfectly normal for people - especially kids - to go through a sort of grief because it's over. i've been sad when a series ended before but this one really has me bummed out.

i think i'll have to re-read it :)

browneyedgirl77
07-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Those links are great, did you see the HP in the hood one?

Andie5205
07-27-2007, 06:26 PM
it's been almost a whole week. and i'm still pretty sad about it all being over.

read an article last night talking about how it would be perfectly normal for people - especially kids - to go through a sort of grief because it's over. i've been sad when a series ended before but this one really has me bummed out.

I feel the exact same way! I thought I was the only one who felt like they were in a Harry Potter depression, lol. I have felt sad & blah since I finished reading the book. I got weepy this morning after watching J.K. on the Today show, lol.
I re-read the whole series in the two weeks leading up to the final book coming out. So for 2.5 wks it was all about Harry. So now that its over I have this sadness. lol, sounds lame.
I am about a third of the way through reading it for the second time. I haven't cried once this time so far so I think I am healing, lol.

aphil
07-27-2007, 08:38 PM
No, I went through a couple days of "blah" after finishing Deathly Hallows, too. :(

I love the Potter Puppets-they have TONS of skits on YouTube. I love it when they go "bother" Snape...

"bother, bother, bother, bother, bother!" :lol:

lizziness
07-28-2007, 01:54 AM
Andie - I did the same thing - re-read all of the books.. took me about 4 or 5 weeks to do it so I felt like I had this nice long Harry Potter Summer and it's all over... :( I'm gonna go this weekend to see the movie and then it really will be over with. sigh.

melekalikimaka
07-28-2007, 11:47 AM
It's not "over" until the last movie is out! and until JK Rowling puts out that encyclopedia she's mulling over. Where can I get a Snape puppet??? :lol:

I'm re-reading the Chamber of Secrets and my 8-1/2 y.o. is starting the book for the first time. He's seen all the movies and we talk to him about what happens in books 6 and 7 so he's quite interested in getting through the reading himself. He actually told me yesterday that a lot of things that happened in the book, didn't happen in the movie--and that, I told him, is what makes books so awesome!

ennay
07-28-2007, 10:50 PM
One thing I didn't really understand is how Neville ended up with the Gryffindor sword during the battle of Hogwarts. I thought we last saw it with Griphook. How did Neville get it?

I am guessing this has already been answered but I believe it fell out of the sorting hat just as it had in ...one of the other books when it fell on harry's head. (chamber?)

Finally got a chance to read it and there is 7 pages of discussion...lol

ennay
07-28-2007, 11:28 PM
I thought the physical description of the crying baby was VERY similar to when Snape was in Quirrels turban...I just figured that was what a partial soul was.

lizziness
07-30-2007, 07:44 PM
finally watched OOTP - found it disappointing. I was kind of expecting to though, honestly.
It was a good movie - but I feel like you're at a real disadvantage if you haven't read the books as there are a great deal of things that are skipped over or omitted. Couldn't get a better Bellatrix, Luna or Umbridge though.

Andie5205
08-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Holy crap! This is a must read.... so much info! http://www.mugglenet.com/app/news/full_story/1156

NemesisClaws
08-07-2007, 06:55 AM
Andie5205: couldn't access that link for some reason. Shoot...

Overall, I think this is quite possibly the BEST children series ever! And believe me, I have read a lot over my time, so that is saying a lot. I must admit though, that there are a few things puzzling me...

For instance, Snape was obviously very much in love with Lily all those years. Why then did he not go after Pettigrew when he realized that the Potters had to have been betrayed for Voldemort to find them? Just seems like it would've been Snape's style to do a bit of revenge there...I also think Lily could've been much nicer to Snape while she was alive. Granted, Snape didn't always do the right thing at times, but to his credit, he did at least apologize.

The ending of the book to me was bit confusing. I had to re-read it at times just to get the new characters straight in my mind. That's the one chapter that I think Rowlings should've taken a bit more time with, plus describing a bit more of what all of the characters were doing now. To me, that would've been the perfect ending.

NemesisClaws
08-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Never mind! Managed to access the page! What a wealth of information! WOW!

By the way, was it Pettigrew or Wormtail that was the betrayer???

jtammy
08-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Nemesis, Pettigrew (aka Wormtail) betrayed the Potters location to Voldemort. I don't think Snape knew Peter Pettigrew was alive all of those years. I think he believed he was killed in the explosion where his finger was found.

MaNdA22
08-07-2007, 09:42 AM
The last 2 movies better be amazing and like 6 hours long.

FatToFitVirgo
08-07-2007, 10:33 AM
Holy crap! This is a must read.... so much info! http://www.mugglenet.com/app/news/full_story/1156

The other outstanding HP site is http://www.leakylounge.com. THIS is where to go if you really want to discuss the books and the movies! Believe me, before Deathly Hallows (DH- not referring to husbands!) came out, there were more arguments about whether or not Snape was good or bad than you could count.

And while you're at Leaky Lounge, click on to Leaky Cauldron. It, too has all the news for HP fandom. But the Lounge is where to go to REALLY discuss the books and movies in depth! "Scribbulus" is a section where various writers have penned their theories (supported by the books). I highly recommend "I Trust Severus Snape" by Theowyn. (And no, I'm not her, my user name is trust severus' spy there.)

aphil
08-07-2007, 11:26 AM
I must admit though, that there are a few things puzzling me...

For instance, Snape was obviously very much in love with Lily all those years. Why then did he not go after Pettigrew when he realized that the Potters had to have been betrayed for Voldemort to find them? Just seems like it would've been Snape's style to do a bit of revenge there...I also think Lily could've been much nicer to Snape while she was alive. Granted, Snape didn't always do the right thing at times, but to his credit, he did at least apologize.

Snape, like Lupin, Sirius, and everyone else-thought that Pettigrew was dead, when he was hiding out as a Weasley pet for many years. :) Also, like many people, he assumed that Sirius was the betrayer as well-especially since he loathed Sirius. Lupin and Dumbledore were the only two people who knew without a doubt, that Sirius would have never given up James and Lily to Voldemort.

I think that Lily was justified in her actions towards Snape. That whole situation reminded me of when I was younger and had a friend, and we had differences, and finally just had to go our separate ways. She made her choices in life, and I made mine, and we were very different in our values, beliefs, and we just had to stop being friends.

I do believe that Lily was nice to him-and she did look out for him and worried about him, and his involvement with soon-to-be Death Eaters. But, sometimes when someone is going down a path that is SO very different than your own, you have to break it off. I think that him calling her mudblood was the final straw for her. I don't think it was a small thing that he could just apologize for-it was the thing after hundreds of things that just finally "did it" for her. From the way I read it, and understood the books, mudblood would be like someone here and now using a very bad racial slur.

FatToFitVirgo
08-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Actually, Lupin did doubt Sirius, did think he'd betrayed the Potters. If you remember PoA (Prisoner of Azkaban - Book 3), the scene in the Shrieking Shack when he's followed Sirius there, he does think his old friend is dangerous. After all, as Padfoot, he'd dragged Ron into the base of the Whomping Willow, and into the Shack. It isn't until Sirius explains that it was Pettigrew/Wormtail/Scabbers who was the betrayer, not him, that Lupin says, "My old friend, can you forgive me?" and embraces him.

aphil
08-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Lupin is on guard to be safe, but I do believe that he was doubtful-especially when Harry lets him know that he saw Peter Pettigrew in the Maurader's Map.

StillTryin
08-07-2007, 12:04 PM
OK i didnt read it yet, nor did I read the posts that were made either, what I can tell you is that I finished watching the 5th movie and had to come home and read the 6th book. I am anxiously waiting to read the 7th when my son is done with it, so in the meantime I am reading all the others from 1-5 since I have only seen the movies.

NemesisClaws
08-08-2007, 03:19 AM
Aphil & others: Thanks! That really cleared it up for me. :) Sometimes, even though I read the previous books, I forget the little details by the time I read the latest book. Nevertheless, I agree that they should make the next few movies a lot longer, and lot more faithful to the books......

techwife
08-08-2007, 08:24 AM
Finally, I'm on here to comment on the book. It took me about a week to finish it, both because I kept having to do annoying things like cook for my family and laundry and because I wanted it to last a little longer than the day it could have taken me if I'd have locked myself in a closet with the book and let everyone fend for themselves.

I admit....I read the epilogue to be sure Harry and company lived before reading the book because I wasn't going to read the book if any of them died..especially Harry. It would have been too much. I mean, even in an epic like Star Wars, good wins out over evil. I was sad to see Fred die (especially with 'the last shadow of his last joke still on his face'), but it was war, and deaths are bound to happen in war. And Hedwig! :faint:

Anyhow...I loved every single page of the book. I cannot WAIT to see this film. Especially the part of where Harry goes to do the right thing and confront Voldemort, knowing it will be his demise, I just love Harry.

And how about Molly taking out Bellatrix! Who knew she had it in her...but there's nothing like the mother bear instinct to bring out the most violent in a woman :s:

Okay...times up...gotta run!!

StillTryin
08-08-2007, 08:59 AM
I finished the 1st book now and I am well on my way in the second one.. I really wish I had read them when they first came out, either that or started on them sooner. I hope I can get through all the last 4 I need to read before my son gets done with the 7th one. I have 2 down..lol

And, I am purposely not reading the posts here so I dont spoil the last book for myself, but I wanted to post.....lol

ANOther
08-29-2007, 11:17 AM
I'm a latecomer to the phenomenon, I saw the first two movies and part of Prisoner of Azkaban but hadn't read any of the books until then, and then after I saw the third film I started in with Goblet of Fire. I just finished Deathly Hallows last night: Yippeeeeee, yee-haw, hooray, :bravo: :cp: :wizard: :cheer2: For Harry's a jolly good wizard and so say all of us !

Rather than a full chapter on the trio and their kids, I would have rather known a sentence or two about most of the remaining characters-where they ended up.

I have to say I agree, it seems like in all the fray some loose ends were left untied-up that maybe some more serious Potter-heads could fill me in:

1. Above all, what became of the Dursleys? At the start of DH as they and Harry left Little Whinging to go into hiding, it sounded like they did have some grudging fondness for each other and it would have been good to know that they at least exchanged Christmas cards. (Lee Jordan's Potterwatch radio program reported the murders of an unidentified muggle family; it crossed my mind that that might have been the Dursleys, but nothing more was ever said about them.)

2. What about Mundungus Fletcher? After the Death Eaters attacked the look-alike Harrys on their way to the Weasleys, there was speculation that one of the Order of the Phoenix might be a traitor, and I thought Mundungus, who was kind of a scruffy character, would be the likeliest rat (balanced by Snape among the squadron of Death Eaters)

3. And what of Dolores Umbridge (last seen when Harry stunned her at the Ministry of Magic and seized the Slytherin locket)? Oh-h, wouldn't you have loved to see her get her butt kicked into Azkaban?

StillTryin
08-29-2007, 12:36 PM
I am 6 chapters from finishing! OMG, this is such a good book, I am anxious for the movie!!!!!

FatToFitVirgo
08-29-2007, 10:10 PM
I'm a latecomer to the phenomenon: Yippeeeeee, yee-haw, hooray, :bravo: :cp: :wizard: :cheer2: For Harry's a jolly good wizard and so say all of us !
I have to say I agree, it seems like in all the fray some loose ends were left untied-up that maybe some more serious Potter-heads could fill me in:

1. Above all, what became of the Dursleys? At the start of DH as they and Harry left Little Whinging to go into hiding, it sounded like they did have some grudging fondness for each other and it would have been good to know that they at least exchanged Christmas cards. (Lee Jordan's Potterwatch radio program reported the murders of an unidentified muggle family; it crossed my mind that that might have been the Dursleys, but nothing more was ever said about them.)
2. What about Mundungus Fletcher?
3. And what of Dolores Umbridge (last seen when Harry stunned her at the Ministry of Magic and seized the Slytherin locket)? Oh-h, wouldn't you have loved to see her get her butt kicked into Azkaban?
Okay, ANOther, first, let me say :welcome2::wizard:to the wonderful world of Harry Potter Fanaticism! Reading the books is the way to go, since Jo Rowling put so much more humor and little 'throwaways' that actually foretell a lot. So you were right to go directly to GoF in print.

The only Dursley who admitted to ANY positive feeling for Harry was Dudley. When they're all leaving the Dursley house (p.40), ...said Harry,"They think I'm a waste of space, actually, but I'm used to--"
"I don't think you're a waste of space." If Harry had not seen Dudley's lips move, he might not have believed it. Aunt Petunia (as usual) makes a big deal out of Dudley, not Harry, who shrugs it off, when told "But he hasn't said thank you at all! He only said he didn't think Harry was a waste of space!" "Yeah, but coming from Dudley that's like 'I love you'", said Harry.

So 1) I don't think that Harry and the Dursleys will ever be in touch again, with the extremely remote possibility that Dudley might look him up. JKR consistently painted the Dursleys as deliberately mean to Harry all the time, indifferent, at best. So Christmas cards?! You must be joking, right? Good pickup on the Lee Jordan broadcast, tho--it's possible it might be the Dursleys, although I don't think Jo has specified it was them.

2) Regarding old Mundungus, the last we see of him is on p.688, where Snape is confunding him, to give the plan to LV (Lord Voldemort) and his followers.

3) I myself was disappointed that we never got to see Dolores Umbridge hurt or really humiliated in the last big fight. I personally would have LOVED to have seen her be killed in the fray--she certainly deserved it. But alas, Jo Rowling left those strings--as you so well put it: untied-up.

Mummy_Tummy
08-30-2007, 02:16 AM
2. What about Mundungus Fletcher? After the Death Eaters attacked the look-alike Harrys on their way to the Weasleys, there was speculation that one of the Order of the Phoenix might be a traitor, and I thought Mundungus, who was kind of a scruffy character, would be the likeliest rat (balanced by Snape among the squadron of Death Eaters)

It ended up that nobody was a traitor. It's just that the name Voldemort had a magical trace on it so that's how the Death Eaters were able to keep finding Harry. I think Mundungus just got scared when he thought he was going to die and deserted the others but he wasn't working for Voldemort. In fact, in a roundabout way he sort of did them a favor by removing the locket from the house (albeit for his own ill-gotten gain) before the house was ransacked.

aphil
08-30-2007, 07:17 AM
I agree-Mundungus wasn't a traitor, he was simply a coward. He didn't want to be involved in the fight really, on either side.

StillTryin
08-30-2007, 09:33 AM
OK I FINISHED LAST NIGHT!!! I was only 6 chapters away and had to stay up late to finish...there was no way I was going to drag it out another day. But it did help me keep my mind of the job phone call I am waiting for...(LONG STORY)

I loved it. I wish they would have had more detail in the end. It seems to me that it skipped over some issues rather quickly and I found myself going back and re-reading several paragraphs a couple times, because I thought I missed.

I was sad when Harry went to Snapes memories..that was heartbreaking. But like was said earlier maybe he was so mean to Harry was because Slytherin had postions with them and he couldnt betray his house..?

All in all, GREAT SERIES, but now I am BUMMED that it is OVER!!!!

LeaLee
08-30-2007, 03:18 PM
I read books 6 and 7 in the span of 5 days, I was recovering from dental surgery and had lots of time on my hand....I would have gotten done faster but OMG when Snape killed Dumbledore in Book 6 I slammed it shut and cried my eyes out and boycotted it for a day lol!!!! I LOVE SNAPE so it made me SOOO mad that he did that.....Of course when book 7 showed the truth it had me in tears again! I cried SOOOO much through these 2 books.

I CRIED when in the 6th book Snape killed Dumbledore...then I cried again when I saw that he did it FOR Dumbledore. I was a Snape fan from the beginning...

I SOBBED when DObby died OMG i just teared up just typing that good grief.....and then Kreacher leading the elves to fight!!!!! I cried when Mad Eye dies....Cried when Hedgwig died and EVERYONE that died I was a basket case....I cried when Harry saw his house, when he saw his parents grave.....I FEEL like a crybaby!!!

I LOVED the books though!! I am forcing myself NOT to read #7 again I want to soo bad but have decided to share Harry with my kids so every night before bed we read one chapter of Harry together, starting with Book 1 so this time as I experience Harry I get to share it with my 6 and 7 year olds.

My son made my night last night when he begged me not to stop at the Chapter...come on mom HALF the next one...this is SOO better than the movie! AWESOME my kid loves the book too!

Now since I won't let myself read #7 again can someone please tell me IF they mention who the new Headmaster of Hogwarts is? If she didn't mention who it is I think it should have been added! So if its in there can someone tell me WHO IT IS lol......

Awesome books and a great thing to pass to my kids. Loyalty, responsibility, friendship and HONOR.

StillTryin
08-30-2007, 03:25 PM
I didnt catch that either...now I am curious!

ANOther
08-31-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the heads-up, FatToFit, MummyTummy and aphil. I tend to be a natural speed-reader and I notice that often I latch onto some detail that I am sooooo sure has to mean SOMETHING (Exhibit A, although I realize this was a VERY minor point: Rita Skeeter's muckraking book describes Dumbledore's sister Ariana as a squib -> Harry's Privet Drive babysitter Arabella Figg is a squib [planted there by Dumbledore as an added precaution] -> she's at Dumbledore's funeral -> "Ariana" and "Arabella" sound very similar -> I was SURE they would turn out to be one and the same until Aberforth, and Dumbledore himself on the heavenly Platform 9 3/4, confirm that poor Ariana did indeed die young) and miss some other bitty detail that turns out to be the key to the whole thing! Well, I know one of these days I'm going to have to go back and read the whole thing from Sorcerer's Stone 1:1, but after 6 weeks of non-stop Hogwarts I need to cleanse my palate, so right now I'm on The Devil in the Junior League

jtammy
08-31-2007, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, FatToFit, MummyTummy and aphil. I tend to be a natural speed-reader and I notice that often I latch onto some detail that I am sooooo sure has to mean SOMETHING (Exhibit A, although I realize this was a VERY minor point: Rita Skeeter's muckraking book describes Dumbledore's sister Ariana as a squib -> Harry's Privet Drive babysitter Arabella Figg is a squib [planted there by Dumbledore as an added precaution] -> she's at Dumbledore's funeral -> "Ariana" and "Arabella" sound very similar -> I was SURE they would turn out to be one and the same until Aberforth, and Dumbledore himself on the heavenly Platform 9 3/4, confirm that poor Ariana did indeed die young) and miss some other bitty detail that turns out to be the key to the whole thing! Well, I know one of these days I'm going to have to go back and read the whole thing from Sorcerer's Stone 1:1, but after 6 weeks of non-stop Hogwarts I need to cleanse my palate, so right now I'm on The Devil in the Junior League

:D:D That was quite a theory, even if it didn't work out. It could have happened, eh?

Lea, I don't think they named the new headmaster.

ih8diets
09-02-2007, 03:29 PM
i loved all the books. and what an ending!! i was so scared that they might kill off my fav character! thank god they didnt. i read the 5th, 6th and 7th book in a matter of a month. i couldnt stop!

ANOther
09-02-2007, 07:23 PM
i was so scared that they might kill off my fav character! thank god they didnt.

Who is your fav character? They killed mine (Tonks) :( I thought if JKR was ever going to spin any character off into a book or series of his/her own she would have been ideal

BrokenButterfly
09-02-2007, 08:06 PM
No, she didn't name the new Headmaster.

I love the HP books, so I got mine at midnight and had it read a few hours later. I was shocked she killed Hedwig...cried at Dobby's..BAWLED at Fred's death, and then Lupin and Tonks, and bawled when Harry was walking in the forest to his "death".

My friends and I are huge fans and had all these theories. Well, they had wild theories, the majority of mine turned out to be correct, which, means the book wasnt as surprising as it should have been, but nonetheless it packed a punch! I called Snape being "good" and Dumbledore having their agreement, that Harry wouldnt die, that the final battle would be at Hogwarts, that Wormtail would "help", that the tiara WOULD be a horcrux, that Lupin would die (I always sensed ALL of the marauders would have to die), and a few others. I know other people had these thoughts as well, but my friends were stunned that I was right on so many things.

What killed me was Fred dying. I did not want her killing ONE of the twin. And then not letting us know what happened with George in the epilogue. And TONKS. I had prepared myself for Lupin, but Tonks too? Killed me.

I think Mrs.Weasley killing Bellatrix was also a huge surprise..but a good one. She definately had the best line in the book :lol: