Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-18-2007, 10:45 PM   #1  
Losing it and loving it!!

S/C/G: 181/See Ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Default Runners... I need help!!!

I have always had this aspiration to be an avid runner, someone who goes three or four times a week about 10 miles each time. This would be my ultimate exercise routine... yet I think I really lack stamina.
For most workouts these days... my attempt at running, I usually run for about 2 minutes and then walk for three... ugh!!!!
My question is how do I work towards my goal of being able to run 10 miles or do something like a 10K or 25K race... right now it really seems impossible to me.
BTW I am not in bad cardiovascular shape at all... I am only 17 almost 18 and have played soccer my entire life and have been a walk run jogger for almost a year on and off...

What has worked for you... how did you get started with running??
Please ladies, any advice to get me out of my rut and meet my goal would be greatly appreciated!!!
bee optimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:09 PM   #2  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Can I just say how awesome it is that I saw this post and immediately thought, "hmmm, I'm a runner, maybe I can respond" because two years ago, I was definitely NOT a runner and would never have identified myself as one. I considered running to be the most loathed of all forms of exercise.

OK, sorry, back on track now. I think you just have to keep at it. Try to get out there a few times a week with your run / walk routine. Keep at it until you feel comfortable and then push yourself to run a little longer and walk a little less. I think you'll be surprised how quickly you build up endurance. When I started exercising, a few minutes was all I could manage as well, but with exercising just a few times per week, it was only a few months before I could manage ten minutes of running without stopping.

I also did other exercises to improve my cardiovascular endurance, including the elliptical and stairmaster at the gym and swimming. The swimming, in particular, leap-frogged me forward in terms of cardiovascular endurance. Even now, every time I swim, I notice a marked improved in how long/fast I can run. If you have access to any of this equipment or a pool, you might consider trying some of it.

I did not do this, but I know others have had a lot of success with the couch to 5K programs that are available. Since you have a stated goal of running a marathon, this might be a good strategy for you. The longest I run is 6 miles and I only do it once a week. I run intervals on the treadmill a couple of times during the week, but I'm not a distance runner.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:38 AM   #3  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Work up to it slowly - 10 miles 4 times a week is quite a lot, and it would be best to start with more modest aims - say working up to a 5k then a 10k race. Not to say that you won't get to doing the longer runs eventually, but don't start out by focussing on them. Just try the couch to 5k programme to get up to 5k and decide from there whether you want to go longer as you find out what your strengths and weaknesses as a runner are. Run/walk intervals are definitely the way to go to get you up to the half hour mark, once you can do that you can usually extend your distance by running rather than using walk breaks.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:16 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I usually run 5 to 6 miles about 4-6 times a week. Some days it's less and at the moment once a week I'll go 8-10 miles.

I used to power walk every day for almost the same distance and one evening I though to myself "hmmm...I wonder if I could run to that next street"...did it and then the next and the next and before I knew it I'd run the whole circuit lol.

I DID start out a lot slower than I run now. My average pace these days is around 7.5 - 8.5 mph but it certainly wasn't that 18 months ago!

Start slow and you'll fall in love with it...running is so addicting
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:24 AM   #5  

I'm not a runner, per se, but I have been working up to it and have seen some progress. Believe it or not, one thing that really gives me energy and keeps me running (rather than walking) is good music. I consider my Ipod to be my most valuable fitness accessory. When a good song comes on, I just seem to get much more energized.
lynnm39 is offline   Reply With Quote