Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-18-2007, 07:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/186.5/130

Height: 5'3

Default So... I did it!!

I JOINED A GYM!!!

Is there anything I should know that the people didnt show me?? Or is it easy as it seems and just go and show up and workout. Anything I should bring?? Any and all advice, tips, etc.. PLEASE!!!
staciec878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5"5

hi stacie - i would suggest talking with a personal trainer - generally when you sign up they give you a couple sessions for free and they can help you determine the exercises and areas you would like to focus on thats a good place to start
chickadee315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Good for you!

Bring a bottle of water. And your ipod, if you have one. Otherwise, just roll in and start exercising!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:00 PM   #4  
Mel

and a towel if they don't provide towel service! (or maybe even if they do....)

Congratulations and have fun!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/186.5/130

Height: 5'3

they told me if I payed for the whole year, I would get 2 years free. And 5 hours with a trainer. But I cant afford to pay all for it at once. Which was a very good deal. ( I think) But I dont have to pay anything for about 3 weeks, and thats what I was basically looking for. Before I joined the gym I went to curves, and was going to have to pay 150, just for the first month and they are barely open the times I can go. Even the guy who showed me around showed me the weights and told me not to let those guys scare me they just a bunch of whimps. Thats what he sayed. I also liked that they was people all different shaped. There was only a couple of bulky guys, and not alot of hot girls. But yes very excited!!

I also cant wait for the free classes.
staciec878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220+/174.2/140

Height: 5'6"

I would definitely talk to a trainer on your first day so that he or she can show you the proper form on all the equipment and hand weights and possibly tailor a plan to your needs (although varying it regularly is supposed to work the muscles more and help in muscle toning and weight loss). Without proper form, you could injure yourself on equipment, so I would definitely discuss proper form with somebody.
Anna829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:25 PM   #7  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

One of the scariest things I ever did to myself was join a gym. Turns out it was the best thing I could have done at the time. It's become my quiet place where no one asks anything of me and I don't have to clean up after anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staciec878 View Post
Even the guy who showed me around showed me the weights and told me not to let those guys scare me they just a bunch of whimps. Thats what he sayed.
That's great! Have a great time and enjoy your workouts in your new gym. And make friends with the free weights! The cool thing about them is that once size fits all! Do some research though about proper form. Read a few books and talk with a trainer. You are going to have a blast! Congratulations! I hope it becomes a great place for you too.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:15 PM   #8  
prepare for the BEST time

Congratulations! I joined a big gym in April (again) and I'm thrilled to be there most of the time....i also decided I need sessions with a personal trainer to help keep me on track with weights and strength...He's very cute and young enough to be my child, but he knows what he's doing....Many trainers who work for a gym (or related contract) will work with you on the side if you approach them discreetly...no contract to lock in and you can pay as you go.

I treated myself to one of the new Ipod shuffles, it's GREAT, fairly cheap and tiny enough not to get in the way, it clips on my shirtneck and I run the earpiece wires under my teeshirt. time goes faster with cardio when you have good music.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:36 PM   #9  
Liz, Dressage Queen

S/C/G: 160/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Talking

Stacie,

It seems as if everyone has given you great advice.

I'm very fortunate that the building that I work in has a gym in the basement and its' FREE to the employees. When our office moved in here in January 2006, I went down the very first day and have been going ever since! It's a great relief and respite from the office.

So, start your routine and keep it going. Remember, you are embarking on a new lifestyle, not a diet. Not only will you see the scale go down, but your mental well being will profit, as well.
dressagequeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/149/135

Height: 5'7

Towl, water, and Ipod are my staples at the gym. And if you can afford a few sessions w/ a PT definatly do it. My PT has been a Godsend. Just knowing that someone is going to weigh me every week is enough to keep me on the right track.
Trendle is offline   Reply With Quote