LA Weight Loss - The Best Life Diet Support

View Full Version : The Best Life Diet Support

Amy8888
07-16-2007, 11:11 PM
Here's a new thread just to discuss the Best Life Diet, since so many threads here are devoted to You on a Diet!

I've been into Bob Greene for years but never exclusively followed his plans (I read Get with the Program, I think that's what it was called and adopted some general principles). I am trying to stick with this one. I even bought the journal and wrote out the answers to the questions at the beginning of the book. I lost weight 6 years ago on a completely different plan (kept it off too, until I had babies!) but I was finding it hard to stick with this time around.

I've completed two days already. I'm trying to stick to 1500 calories a day (even though we're not supposed to be worried about limiting food...I sort of need to do that). So far I like the bedtime rule and the no alcohol rule. It's hard not to weigh myself, but I feel pretty confident that I'll be happy with how clothes fit (especially if they're not maternity clothes).

I find the book to be not very user friendly. I wish he had integrated the recipes right into the menus. I also get that he wants it to be like real life, and so he doesn't set calorie limits for each meal, but I need that sort of structure when I'm beginning a plan. I can deviate from that once I get used to portion sizes and such, but I need something up front. So I went ahead and set up a way to structure meals based on calorie counts.

Anyone try any of his recipes? I've had the broccoli pasta peanut butter dish (I don't know what it's called off the top of my head) and the cannellini walnut wraps. Good stuff! I'm not a big fan of smoothies so that knocks out about half of the breakfasts for me.

BfL_Cat
07-19-2007, 04:21 PM
Hi Amy - the Best Life group seems to be pretty quiet these days - but hopefully you can stir up some interest again.

Feel free to join us over on the YOU: thread if you like - the plans are pretty similar - I think it's just some of the allowed foods which are different. I have the Best Life book, but have only skimmed though it - haven't tried any of the recipes yet. I'll have to try any you suggest.

Keep up the good work!
Cindy

wip
07-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Hi Amy. I was looking for a thread for best life too. I read the book this winter and am thinking of trying it. YOAD was too restrictive for me. I will try to remember to check the site. I've been off the boards lately. Good luck

Amy8888
07-24-2007, 11:08 AM
Hello! How's it going? I've already modified the plan to work for me a little better. I basically count calories and follow most of the rules (no alcohol, no eating before bed, drink enough water, etc). I have had some alcohol while out with friends and I plan to continue to do that, but in moderation. I don't get out much so that shouldn't be a problem!

I've lost 5 pounds in the first week (but that included period water weight loss). I'm happy with how it's going and I'm proud that I've been able to commit to something, finally.

tomandkara
07-28-2007, 09:50 AM
Hi gals! I got The Best Life Diet at the library and was just skimming through it. I was very impressed with Oprah's forward, and the principles of the diet seem to be pretty solid. I've been following the South Beach plan for two months now, but find myself needing to count calories in order to continue to lose, so I was looking for some pre-planned and pre-calorie-counted meals to make my life a little easier.

Do any of you know if there is a good stock of vegetarian recipes for this plan? I was less than impressed with Bob Greene's website. Do you need to subscribe to get the full information or something?

Thanks for any help!

Kara

wip
08-02-2007, 02:05 PM
Yes, I think you need to "join - ie pay $$". I'm less than impressed with his marketing. I checked out the website and got daily messages inviting me to join forever! Too bad, because I do like his messages. Just not the product endorsement and money grab.

tomandkara
08-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Yeah, I'm disappointed when I find things like that. I'd like to get a little support without having to invest thousands of dollars in books and website memberships. I think I saw that there's a 10-day free trial period or something so I might sign up for that when we get back from vacation...long enough to copy all the recipes and then make a go of it on my own. It's a shame there aren't more Best Lifers on the board because we might be able to trade enough back and forth between us to make up for not paying for the membership!

Kara

BluePapillon
08-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Hi there! I am on the Best Life program, too, and really like it so far. I really agree with being less than impressed with the whole marketing thing, though.

I've lost 12 pounds so far - and I'm thrilled with that. I've really got to get better about increasing my activity level, though. Right now I do things to add extra steps in my day - like parking far away from the office door. Where I park now, I have to walk across a small lot, then a huge lot, then down 2 flights of stairs. I also park on the far end of the parking lot when I go to the store. I know I need to do more, though.

I'm glad to see other folks out here who are doing the same program. Looking forward to getting to know you and cheering you on!

Aileen

tomandkara
08-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Hi Aileen! Great job on your loss so far! Keep it up!

Kara

tomandkara
08-03-2007, 06:42 AM
How bad would it be to cheat on the not weighing in at all during the first month? I desperately want to take a peek. It's only been three days, and I actually haven't even "officially" started yet, just kind of working my way up to things, trying to keep track of the hunger scale and consciously work more activity into my day. I did order the journal. Have any of you used it? I'm expecting it to come in around Monday or Tuesday.

Kara

BluePapillon
08-04-2007, 08:43 PM
Well, I have to admit, I cheated - I am such a scale addict that my son actually had to hide it from me to keep me from getting on it. I weighed myself on day 1 and then after about a week and a half...but i was good the rest of the month (but again, only because my son hid my scale!)...

my friend at work and i started at roughly the same time but she started before me. i was kind of just going along doing my thing to "introduce" myself to eating 3 meals plus a snack and also stopping eating at 7:30... now it is like a piece of cake (no pun intended!)

i have not used the journal... i made my own book..i took a binder and made sections for photos, progress, goals, etc. and i made one section that is very special for me - the butterfly bank

i made a sheet that looks like a check register. i deposit $5 for every pound lost, 50 cents for every day i drink my water, etc. i'm determined to have a minimum of $500 in there by the time i reach my goal weight.... i keep track and then on payday, i transfer the money i'm "owed" into my savings account... loving it!

tomandkara
08-05-2007, 03:46 AM
Aileen, that is an excellent idea! Congrats on all your savings!!! What are you going to do with the money?

I have to 'fess up to weighing early, too. I am kind of in an "introductory" phase as well, really planning to start when I get the journal, and plus we're leaving Korea and flying to New Jersey for the rest of the month, so I want to get a baseline there. So many excuses... Anyway, I weighed this morning and was down a pound. I'm going to weigh the first morning we're in the States and then the morning we leave also, just to check on what's changed in the couple weeks we'll be there.

At least it's not every day, right?!

Kara

wip
08-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Hi Aileen and Kara - I've been sniffing around different ideas. I think I have some sort of hybrid b/t Best Life and YOAD floating in my head. I know I have to make lifestyle changes vs. a diet as I have over 100 lbs to lose. I have been eating well during the day and off the wagon in the evenings. Haven't weighed myself for ages - probably about 8 weeks. I'm not sure if I'm really in rev-up since I'm trying to watch what I eat but not the timing. I am trying to move more though. I do have the journal and plan to start using it. I found a picture of my thin, pre-mommy of 3 self to stick in for inspiration. Hope you keep posting.

changa
08-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Hey everyone. :) My name is Chris. I started the Best Life diet on Sunday. I have been eating well and have been able to get to the gym to do at least 90 minutes of exercise per week, so that's good. The problem is that I am still on summer break and, therefore, not really moving around as much as I would be once school starts (I'm an elementary school teacher). However, I go back to work in a week and the first few weeks are always a blur, so I'm hoping that will change soon. :)

I like a lot of Bob's common sense ideas and the recipes are helpful, but I was a little disappointed with this book. A lot of the information I was looking for (specific workouts especially) are only available on the website. To supplement, I've dug out Bob's old Get With the Program! book, which IMHO goes more in depth as to how exercise is really the key to keeping off the weight. Since both of these "diets" have the same general principles, meshing them isn't that hard to do.

I think I'll be okay with weighing myself only once a month, even though I usually do it once a week. I guess I'll see once Sunday rolls around. ;)

Has anyone tried any of the recipes in the book? The only thing I've tried that was new to me was the peanut butter/pear/honey sandwich, and it was mmm mmm good. I may get around to making some of those muffins at some point.

Hope to get to know more about everyone!

BluePapillon
08-11-2007, 07:18 PM
Hey Ladies! Sorry I have not been around lately. Things have been so crazy at work then when I get home the last thing I want to do is touch a computer. LOL

I'm happy to report that I am down another pound, so that is 13 since July 1. I'm pretty happy about that!

I really need to get into exercising, but I'm really struggling with that. I have the Slim in 6 program and I haven't tried it yet. I'm hoping to get into it this week although I'm probably going to find some excuse why I can't. I have started parking on the other side of the county when I get to work and at the far end of parking lots at stores, etc., but that isn't doing enough.

Chris, do you struggle much with getting in the exercise portion?

To answer your question, Kara, I have decided that I'm going to use the money in my butterfly bank to buy new clothes when I reach my goal. I can't take credit at all for the idea. Someone else was doing it and she called it the piggy bank. i couldn't bring myself to call it that because I'm not a piggy. LOL so since I believe a butterfly is my, for lack of a better word, "symbol," I opted to call it my butterfly bank because I'm working to transform myself.

Sherri, i am right there with ya, girl. i have 77 more pounds to go. Sounds like an awful lot, but ya know, i figure that the next year is going to pass by whether I'm working on losing the weight or not, so I might as well work on losing it. I see what you mean about the hybrid idea - i'm just trying so hard to eat well and not give in to temptation too often. My husband asked me today if I wanted a bite of red velvet cake.. I was like yes i do...but I'm not going to... LOL

i decided recently that no one is going to take care of me for me. I'm 41 and I don't do anything for myself. I'm always doing for everyone else in the family. Well, my oldest son is off in the Marines in Iraq, so he is on his own. My middle son is in his second year of college (he left today), so he is on his own. My daughter is 13 and we are very close, but she is the only one I really have to do anything for anymore. So I decided now is a good time to take care of Aileen for a change.

I cut off all my hair, colored it back to my normal color of dark ashe blonde, had dirty blonde highlights put in (okay, I have never in my life EVER paid that much for a haircut before. I could almost have made a truck payment for what I paid for it....but I think I'm worth it! well, i'm working on believing it anyway) and I got my nails done and had a pedicure. I bought all new makeup and am just going to have fun being me for a change.

What are you doing for you that makes you feel beautiful/sexy/happy, etc?

changa
08-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Aileen, it sounds like you had a nice day of pampering! I bet you look as great as you feel. :) I just went out and bought new work clothes today (40% off sale at Lane Bryant), and that made me feel pretty good. Not that I'm in the size I want yet, but at least I'll look pretty stylish as I work my way towards my goal!

The exercise is easy to work into my schedule...so far. The problem is once school starts, I often have to stay late or things come up, and then I can't get to the gym. I could go with my husband after he gets home from work, but he doesn't come back until around 7:30 and we'd be eating dinner way too late. I'm really going to have to force myself to leave work no later than 4:30 so that I have time for me to meet my exercise goals and get things done at home, too. It'll be hard to do, especially in the beginning of the year, but I have witnesses that I'm gonna try like heck to do it! ;)

BluePapillon
08-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Well, I had every intention of starting exercise this week but ummm <cough> yeah, well... let's just say I haven't started yet. I really need to kick myself in the butt and get moving... literally...

Ohhh a 40% off sale! Girl, you have to tell us all about what you bought! I want to go shopping but I keep putting it off..the old 'oh i want to lose a few more pounds' thing... knowing me, i'll have clothes tied in knots around my waist before i go shopping... i tend to make sure to take care of everyone else first... i need to break that habit! LOL

cdmoree
09-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Hi everyone,
I`m new to the forum.My name is Debbie.I have been doing a low carb diet for about 2 yrs.I have had some success at it.But,can`t seem to stick to it.So, I bought the best life diet book.It should be here in about a wk.I can`t wait to read it & get started.So, any advice or tips you can give me would be great.Looking forward to my new way of eating,& talking to new people.

Have a great weekend!!!
Debbie

Gogirl008
09-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Another newbie here, at least to this section. Hi Debbie and everyone! :wave: I've been floating around 3fc for awhile. But I am really in need of yet another "fresh start". I'm a die hard calorie counter.
I just got the best life book at the library, and after skimming through it I'm really thinking I can apply this stuff so much more realistically. I know I can up my activity. I like the idea of starting with activity THEN focusing on food. One thing at a time. I hope you all are still having great success, and BluePapillon and changa- now I want to go shopping!

Musicgal
11-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Hi all. Did anyone see Oprah on Wednesday? Her and Bob Greene are doing this million viewer challenge. I believe it will start in January sometime but sign ups are now. It doesn't matter if you have 5, 10, 20 or more pounds to lose. The show was very inspiring. People lost hundreds of pounds (not all on Bob's program though). However, I find his plan fairly easy to follow and I like the idea of a contract. It is also a good one for those that are already exercising because you challenge yourself physically. Just wondering if anyone is thinking of doing this.

practiceliving
11-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Hi Musicgal - I signed up, but now I'm debating whether to get the book (under $20) or sign up for the website ($50something for 3 months). I'm stoked to start 2008 off right!

Musicgal
11-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Hi, Marianne. I've had the book for quite some time now and have been following the program, although I made some poor food choices over the last month (with leftover Halloween candy, a family birthday and Thanksgiving. I have about ten more pounds to lose and keep off for good! I looked at the Best Life website and was considering signing up but am just doing the program on my own with the book for the moment. But I did sign up for the Million Viewer Challenge and maybe there will be a support group here for it. You can do this Marianne. Good luck to you and everyone else!

BfL_Cat
12-01-2007, 09:45 PM
I think I'll sign up as well. I'm following YOAD, but it still fits into the principles of Best Life (I believe it's a bit stricter).
Cindy

Bev
12-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Did anyone sign up for the million viewers challenge? I just signed up and would love to have a support group.

Bev

BfL_Cat
12-04-2007, 08:56 PM
I just signed up - thanks for the reminder!
Cindy

Bev
12-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Has anyone tried Bob Greens website?

Bev

practiceliving
12-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Hi Bev - I haven't signed up for the site you pay for, but I've poked around at the free content you get if you sign up for the million viewer challenge.

I've set my start date for BLD as next Monday - the day of my last weigh-in for the Biggest Loser challenge. That'll give me a perfect gap to do the "no weighing for 4 weeks" of Phase 1 before the next BL challenge.

Is it weird that I'm nervous? I've been thinking about the three big questions, and it's been enlightening, but also really really HARD. Gosh, this does all go much deeper than I had realised. So I'm nervous about working on all the "head stuff", and I'm nervous about not weighing in for 4 weeks, especially the 4 weeks including Christmas. Eeeeeek.

How are things going for you other chicks who started recently?

practiceliving
12-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Any BLDers around?

I'm working my way through Phase 1 slowly, and realising that I think I'll need to stick with it for 6-8 weeks, rather than just the minimum 4 weeks. I need more time to make these habits stick before moving on to the next steps.

Kimana
12-27-2007, 10:12 PM
I'm here practice, I'm in week 4, I had 2 successful weeks and 1 not successful one. I started a journal this week, (not a food journal, I already have one of those) so I can start working on the inside changes I need to be successful at changing my lifestyle. I'd love to get a BLD chat moving. I, too, will probably stay in phase 1 for 2 or 3 more weeks, but it depends, I'll decide at the end of 4 successful weeks.

practiceliving
12-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Kimana - congrats on 2 successful weeks!

I'm at the end of my 4 weeks, but I think I'm going to keep going for another 2 weeks to really get these changes down, and then move on to phase 2. I've not lost any weight during Phase 1, but that didn't really surprise me.

hellsbelle
01-15-2008, 08:01 AM
Hi, everyone. I am completely new to this program and am now just trying to gather information, prepare meal plans, etc. I joined Bob Green's website and am trying to incorporate some of the main principles of the program as I work on planning things out a little better. I could really benefit from a support system, so it was nice to find this thread.

Meshell

practiceliving
01-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Hi Meshell! I'd love to see this thread more active, so I'm glad to see another new face!

Kimana, Bev, and Musicgal - how's it going for you?

I started Phase 2 this week, and so far it's going... okay. I'm not doing well with getting rid of white flour, but that should improve later in the week. Everything else, I think, is going fairly smoothly. I'm reading labels again to avoid those pesky trans fats (sheesh they are EVERYWHERE), and it's going well.

I hope Phase 1 goes well for you, Meshell - it was emotionally challenging for me, working through the big three questions, but otherwise I found it very straightforward.

hellsbelle
01-15-2008, 03:29 PM
thanks for the warm welcome. The hardest part is going to be not stepping on that scale all of the time. I am determined to make this work, though. It is time for me to give myself the gift of good health :-)

Meshell

practiceliving
01-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Oh my gosh, Meshell, I cannot even TELL you how hard that was for me, except to say that I totally cracked and weighed myself frequently. I'm not beating myself up over it, though.

RPIDriveStick
01-15-2008, 08:04 PM
For those of you who have signed up for the million view challenge, and have access to the free stuff, is there anywhere there I can get help with the recipes? I posted a thread in here about my problems.

practiceliving
01-20-2008, 12:48 PM
I haven't tried any of the recipes yet, sorry RPI!

There are some BLD recipes on Eat Better America, too, so you might look there to see if there are reviews or anything.

RPIDriveStick
01-20-2008, 08:15 PM
I haven't tried any of the recipes yet, sorry RPI!

There are some BLD recipes on Eat Better America, too, so you might look there to see if there are reviews or anything.

I flipped through the book that was at Wal-Mart, and the recipe that I have in my book is not in the version that's on sale now! There's a different recipe, for pumpkin bran muffins, and it had about 4 times as much liquid in it. I'm going to try to tweak the one in my book, but I copied the one out of the Wal-Mart book as well.

practiceliving
01-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Let us know how the recipes turn out!

PaulaM
01-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Hi everybody! I just signed up on this website. I recently bought the Bob Greene Diet after seeing him on Oprah. It's weird cause I had already started walking for 30 minutes a day and had been for the last month. So I'm guess I'm starting out in Phase Two already. I gave up Diet Pepsi, which I never thought I could do. Cut out fries about two months ago. I have a ton of weight to lose to get back to my "real" figure. About 100 lbs worth of it. Hope we can all encourage each other to stick with it. Portion size is probably going to be the hardest for me.

BfL_Cat
02-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Hey Best Lifers - how are you doing with your program? Things have a been a bit quiet here lately....
Cindy

PaulaM
02-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Very good actually. It's getting a lot easier. I find I'm not starving all the time. I don't miss the Diet Pepsi at all, which I am stunned by. How about you?

RPIDriveStick
02-05-2008, 08:15 PM
I emailed the best life people a couple of weeks ago, and I finally got a reply:

"Thank you for contacting the Bob Greene's Best Life Customer Service Team. Unfortunately, we cannot provide nutrition, weight loss or exercise advice to non-members.

Please take the tour of the site at www dot thebestlife dot com. Some of the features the site has to offer include:

1. Message boards where you can talk to and get support from other Best Life members.

2. An "Ask the Experts" component where you can reach out to Bob's nutrition and fitness teams for additional guidance -- think of it as a way to ask the book questions!

3. Daily and weekly meal plans based on your weight-loss goals, Activity Level and food preferences -- plus, the ability to swap meals for others you prefer and print shopping lists.

4. Articles and recipes.

5. A powerful site experience that based on Bob's 3-Phased approach. You check in daily to log your progress, and at the end of each week, the site serves you a weekly progress report card telling you how you did. If you score well, it's counted as a successful week within the Phase (after 4 successful weeks in a Phase, the site moves you to the next Phase of the program).

The weekly progress report card also include tips and links to articles for each area you might need help in, and congratulates you in areas where you did well. There's also a "My History" page that let's you go back and look at weekly progress reports for each week within each Phase.

In other words, the site actually keeps you on track, and points out where more effort is needed -- powerful stuff.

Hope this is helpful for you -- whether you decide to sign up for the site or not, we wish you the best of luck on your road to living the Best Life!

Michael
Bob Greene’s Best Life Customer Service Team
help at thebestlife dot com"

So they published a book with at least one recipe that was incorrect and obviously untested, which I paid for, and now they want me to pay $5 a week to get a corrected recipe.

coco99
02-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Hi
Just bought the best life book. Havent had a chance to read it yet.
But that is a bummer you have to pay to get any info from their site.
At least on You on a diet. You dont have to pay.
Has anyone lost by using the best life diet. Or I should say. Lifestyle change.
I do weight watchers. But am struggling. So looking for some motivation.
thought maybe this would be it.
coco

horsey
02-14-2008, 07:27 PM
I've been semi doing the Best Life Diet and yes I've lost some weight, not fast but gradually. I lost a lot of weight quick a few years ago just to gain it back, so this time around I'm doing it differently, learning good nutrition. I think the basic concepts of this diet are good, but I also am in the mode of reading a lot of diet and nutrition books mostly from the library. I have the Best Life journal, I think it's great, it has enough room to write down foods for the day, if you didn't drink, stopped eating before bed, had your vitamins, etc. The facing page each day is blank and I'm just writing notes from this site, books and articles I read, trying to really learn about nutrition. I like that you find the Best Life symbol on some groceries and that the author gives lists of some things to buy by brand. But yes it's a bummer to have to pay for the site, I'm not going to.

schop23
06-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Hello everyone. I'm new to Best Life Diet. I hope this is working for people because I'm excited about trying it. It all seems pretty straight forward, I just hope I can keep my will power at full steam ahead. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. I'm really excited, I need to take a new direction in my life and I hope this is the right one.

LaReporter
06-24-2008, 01:35 AM
Okay. I'm just starting out here. I've roamed around a bit in the past, but something had me lingering here tonight. It might be that I bought this book and read the intro over a year ago (at.least.) and then never did anything more with it. I could use the excuse of not wanting to pay to participate, but that would be a really sorry and empty excuse.

My plan is to pull the book out (no, I haven't *yet*) and get back into it with the help of this community. I've already been working out regularly at fairly high intensities and with weights since January of this year (hence the small weight loss already experienced), but I'm not sure at what step that puts me.

Here's to more progress to all!

monique200
09-19-2008, 07:22 PM
GREAT! It seems like a lot of us are starting out new..today is my first day starting again. I am not sure which diet , i am on ..i had the bob greene book but lost it during my move, i than purchased the you on a dirt book.....i think i prefer the bob greene book more.. so i will go buy it...i still have the journal. My goal are to stay on a 1500 calorie diet, i just started taking vitamins last week. i want to start walking 30 min everyday...but i feel so ashamed (dont ask me why) i just do! I wish i had a friend in this neighborhood to walk with..all my family and friends are almost 4 hours awy.Walking with my husband is out of the question because he always wants to push me all at once...for example just walking 30 min a day is a big step for me..but he wants me to walk, run, have my hands in the air..and all kind of other things! Not to mention if we are upset with each other...well there goes my walking partner until we arent upset any more.I NEED HELP!

SST
01-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Just bought the book and the recipe book as well. Some of the things I have made are sooo yummy! I am definarely going to give this a try...

dollymayer
05-05-2009, 02:49 AM
hi

I'm dolly 22 year old girl.i want to get a good skin and look young.but i confused on my diets.i don't know what should i take in my diets.

if any1 have some ideas for me,please tell me.

BfL_Cat
05-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Hi Dolly - glad you found us here. A good start is to avoid processed food as much as possible. Try to eat things in their "natural" state - fruits, veggies, whole wheat bread/pasta, brown rice, lean protiens. Limit your sugar intake and increase your water intake.

Both Bob Greene "The Best Life Diet" and Dr. Oz's "You:On a Diet" are great books that you can learn a lot from - your local library should carry both of them.
Cindy

Momofsteel
06-07-2009, 07:25 AM
Just wanted to let you know, there is an offer for Best Life - the site - on Nestle Bottled water - purchase 10 cases and you send in the seals for 90 days free. I just bought a case at Walmart. Mom

sweetsnstuffgrl
09-23-2009, 08:58 PM
anyone here?? i have just ordered the books... waiting for them to arrive and will be starting ;) how is everyone doing? is this thread going to become active?

Morgan

Alana in Canada
09-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Hi sweetsnstuffgirl--and everyone else!

I have been following Bob Greene's Best life diet food plan since the beginning. I have interpreted it in my own way, though, based on my past success with weight loss.

He has a very sensible approach, I really like it. Breaking things down into phases was wise, I thought, and worked for me. I didn't stay a month on phase one, though, only a week! I was ready and raring to go, so I seized the moment and made up a chart based on the serving suggestions on page 122-124. Yes, it is in "Phase three" but that's OK. I put myself on a plan of 1600 calories a day and it's working so far.

I record my food intake with a chart. I've attached it below.

I went this route with Greene's material because the only other time I went on a diet and was successful (and I kept the weight off for ten years, until I got married and had kids!) I used the weight watcher's exchange plan. (This would have been in the late eighties or early nineties.) And if you look closely, you'll see that in essence, this is what his plan boils down to.

I have not used the recipes and don't plan on doing that. I do my best to work out at least three times a week. I'm looking for a weight resistence program I'll actually do, right now. If you want any more info, just pm me.