Old 07-16-2007, 08:48 AM   #1  
Southside White Sox Fan

Default Core Chat Thread for July 16 through July 22, 2007

Here's a new chat thread for the week.

Good Morning Chicks! Monday again.....what a bummer for those of you who work. It's overcast here in the southern suburbs of Chicago. They are expecting scattered rain for the next 2-3 days which messes up my swimming sessions in my back yard. I haven't been able to go in for almost a week. I have WW this morning. I'm not sure what WW scale will say. It'll be a small change. I'm not sure what I'll do this week to adjust. I already exercised 5 days last week. I guess now it's time to focus on portions and switching up my breakfast. My beloved shredded wheat will have to go for a while.

Jim has a dentist appointment today right after WW. His mouthguard that he wears at night to keep the cancer from coming back broke after about a year of use. Sigh. So after that, lunch and some errands. I don't know why we should be so busy seeing as how we are retired.

I'm going to see if I can catch up with all of you before I go get ready.
Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:05 AM   #2  
Southside White Sox Fan

Lynn, Welcome! I hope you love it here as much as we do. You'll get to know us all in no time. Not being hungry and eating healthy wholesome foods are the reasons that I love Core also. Come and chat with us whenever you can. We love enthusiasm! Lynn, it does sound like you are making the best choices that you can. Jim and I eat out often too and I know I can be good if I put my mind to it....and a little effort ordering. Most people don't even try to be good.

Rhonda, I'm so proud of you. You really sound determined. The eating is now under control and you are moving on to the exercise. Good for you. I have a weakness for muffins/ice cream myself. I just have to keep it out of the house. Thanks, Rhonda. You talking about the mexicali pie makes me think of my tamale pie. I haven't had that in a million years. I make it and freeze 5 portions to have on hand for lunches. That was something I ate back in the beginning when I was losing.

Patti, isn't it wonderful to have great friends who love us enough to do special things for us? I hope you had a fabulous meal with your friends. I am trying very hard to break this cycle of emotional eating. It's not easy because it's been a lifelong habit. This week I kept it to one meal which was a huge accomplishment.....and the meal wasn't horrible. So now to just pray that all will be well.

Paula, I can't wait to hear about your weigh in this week. I just know you will have a huge loss. I wish I had gotten the weight off before I got 50, perimenopausal and ended up on beta blockers. Let me all me a lesson to you younger chickies. I'm not saying it's impossible.....just darned hard! I didn't find the Husky webkinz but then I admit that I stopped looking. I bought the Bulldog so his Mom will have to find the Husky. Instead of another webkinz I got him a Transformers Optimus helmut that has a voice changer in it that will make his voice sound like a robot. I can't wait to see him open it. I think it's perfect for a 7 year old boy!

Sandra, how was your BBQ? I'm happy to hear that Curtis is perking up. Maybe his weight was bothering him too.

Angela, you are still a beautiful woman but I certainly understand your burning desire to get that weight back off. You did it once and you will do it again. Go back to your original plan. You and I both know what we were doing back in early 2005 to help us lose. My fingers are crossed that DH gets an offer he can't refuse. I understand being derailed. I wish I had the magic cure to keep us from letting that happen to us.

Gotta go get ready Chickies. I need to leave in about an hour.

Have a great day and drink your water.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:29 AM   #3  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Morning chickies - home today w/sore throat and lack of sleep (little ds had a cold last week and I think I have finally succumbed - told him NOT to drink out of my water bottle...sigh....)

Trying to catch up with all of you! Welcome Lynn - congrats on being smoke free - how awesome for you!

Vickie - sounds like you are doing great - keep up the good work.

Paula - you also sound like you are on track! good for you.

Rhonda - I could not have bypassed the ice cream - your determination will help you reach your goals.

Angela - you still look great to me - one day or meal at a a time.

Went to couples counselling thurs - first we had to fill out these forms - some very interesting questions - but we don't get to see each other's. We told our 'stories' - I now make dh go first - our stories are pretty different - ha ha ha.

The therapist was amazed that all these problems have not poisoned our relationship totally and that we are still together (altho dh did say he would not have blamed me if I had thrown him out!) - it was very hard for me to talk about what has been going on and seriously at one point I had this overwhelming urge to just get up and walk out!!! I have never felt like that before! She was also surprised that dh was not very 'defensive' about the things I was sharing - and said that was a major obstacle with most couples - first had to work thru the defensiveness so we were way ahead in that sense.

I left there feeling very sad and emotionally exhausted (and even somewhat angry at dh when I think about the 10 years that this was going on!). He wanted to go out for dinner (downtown) I did not really want to but went along. The burger place we chose was packed so we walked a few blocks to this jamaican/caribbean place.

There on the patio were some friends of his - well actually some of the band members from his band (yes I know them too as we have socialized with them before) so we had dinner with them which was not my first choice as I was not feeling very sociable - had to turn on the froufie humor and charm to get thru the evening.

Weekend was fun tho - dh planned some acitvities for us: friday night went to see Transformers movie with little ds and sat we took the steam train to wakefield (www.steamtrain.ca) also took mil with us. Lots of fun - and great lunch in Wakefield at the old converted train station (yes smoked salmon was involved ).

Sat night we had a surprise 25th wedding anniversary party to attend - in this amazing house (in ouir neighborhood) - it was gorgeous and full of people and FOOD and drink. Yesterday we just did some errands/shopping and today I am home and hope to have a nap later.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Monday! (is that possible ?)

Frouf
Froufy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:30 AM   #4  

Height: 5' 10"

Happy Monday everyone! Hope all is well. I posted 2 new receipes today -- this month's Light and Tasty had a lot of good ones, I still have 3 I want to try. The two posted are very yummy. Enjoy!

Frouf, how are you feeling after counseling? I guess the anger and sadness is all part of it - needing to face the past to move forward. I hope things do work out for you and that you end up in a happy place, where ever that may bring you. Life is too short to not be happy.

Vickie, glad you found something for your nephew. I have to go shopping this week for my great neices 7th bday - party is on Saturday. I may get her a camera - prices out the kid digitals - a bit too steep for me, run around $70. Maybe a jr. 35mm would do. Good luck today; its important to go regardless of what the scale may say. I know for me it is!!

Angela, you do still look great. But 20 pds back is scary - I'm worried about these 8 I just can't seem to get rid of. I tried on a pair of pants this morning that I had worn last summer. I looked like a sausage! I hope you find the motiation you need to get those pounds off. Is your mom still going? She was such a help to you before. Good luck!!!

Well, off to get some work done. Need to check the weather for tomorrow. I wanted to hit the beach again, but the weather may be rainy. I do have a few errands to run and Sarah's friend wanted her to come over, just need to make a decision before too long. BBL.
blessedwithsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:35 PM   #5  
focused and aiming

hi there. i've been a naughty chickie today. i went to the doctor for my papsmear and thought that earned me the right to indulge. i know it doesn't, but i've been looking for an excuse and this is the best i can do. as to the test? all is good. i don't have to go for another for 3 years. guess i'll prob have another indulgence before then, though, with a different excuse.

vickie, the bbq went well. we had a lot of fun and ate core. curtis and i used some waps, but that's all right. he's still doing well now. i'm the one sneaking around munching. oh, well. life goes on.

frouf, you are a busy froufie for sure. i am always amazed at how many functions you attend. well, you, vickie, and rhonda. ya'll are our socialites. i'm a stick in the mud-at homer.

paula and vickie, did you go to ww for wi today? man, i dread going this fri. i'll be biting another bullet.

paula, thanks for the recipes. i'll go take a peek at them.
ontarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:50 PM   #6  
Southside White Sox Fan

I went and stayed absolutely the same. I'm not sure what adjustments I'll make this week. I already exercised more and ate less. Now I'm giving up my shredded wheat for breakfast and I'm not having any non-whole grain bread. I was using wpa's for buns and things at restaurants. I'll keep up with the exercise.

I'm grumpy. I tried really hard this week despite the stress. Everyone keeps telling me next week.....and that's what they said last week. I'm going to eat out less too. Not much else I can do but keep at it. If it doesn't work next week then I'm going back to the Doctor and asking to be taken off of the beta blockers. Apparently, they are notorious for blocking weight loss. Yeah my BP is good but what good is low BP at this weight?
Old 07-16-2007, 07:52 PM   #7  
focused and aiming

vickie, i'm grumpy, too. i'm so tired of being about the same weight. i wish i could take diet pills, but i can't. oh, well. life goes on.

hang in there. i will, too.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi All:

Sounds like a grumpy Monday! I was supposed to take some training on a computer program that is used to register, track, etc. student progress. So, I went, stayed 1/2 hour and left. I said to the trainer that I just couldn't believe that I needed to know this since there are two staff members under my direction who know it. He laughed and said that I was always welcome to come back if I changed my mind. I was a little grumpy myself today!!

I came home and took a nap. I woke up last night every three hours, and I was so tired. We had left over Mexicali pie for dinner and now I'm reading Dr. Oz's book. Need constant reminding of what this is all about. (Coco! Are you reading with me??)

Vickie, I bet if you continue to eat less and exercise more one more week, you will see some benefits. Hang in there.

Froufy...good for you with the DH...just keep going to the counsellor. You're both being brave! I hope you feel better soon.

OK, I'm going back to OZ land!

Rhonda
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/197/155

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone
Sounds like most of you had a busy weekend. Since I'm just getting to know you all, I'm just having fun reading all the post. I'll look for the new recipes ~ there are some REALLY great ones. I made vegetable soup last night with that Wylers soup starter & just loaded it with vegetable. It was SOOO good. My husband ate 2 bowls! It didn't even have any meat in it! Tonight I made cabbage rolls with ground turkey, brown rice, spices & tomato soup. YUMMY! The only thing I have trouble with is crunchy, salty things. I'm not a big sweets lover, but I do love snacks like chips. I had a real craving, so I made home made potato chip in the over. Surprisingly they were good. Does anyone have any other suggestions with my love for salties?

Vickie - You'll probably lose a ton next week. Just keep up the good work

Talk to you all later & remember.... make good choices
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:45 PM   #10  

Vickie - staying the same is good. Thats what I am hoping for this week. Take a look at the amount of protein - I find if I cut back on the carbs and increase protein I can kick start myself. Replace your cereal with yogurt and berries, cottage cheese and berries or some eggs (if you aren't restricted). Maybe some frittatas -- I got into make those a while ago - saute peppers, onions, mushrooms or what ever veggies you have and like, get them soft the add a couple of eggs scrammbled with a touch of water. Mix this around and let it sit a bit on the stove - top with ff cheese then put it under the broiler. (make sure the pan is oven safe). Very good.

Lynn, there is a polenta chip recipe that is good for snacking. I also will take the pre-cooked polenta in a tube, slice it thin, spray aluminum foil, put on the pieces and spray them. Then under the broiler for 10 or so minutes - until that side is browned, flip them over spray again, salt and cook until crispy. Good plain, but I then top them with ff cheddar cheese until that gets cooked. Very good with salsa or guac.

Well, decided on the beach tomorrow. Worse case we get caught in the rain and come home. If its cloudy we'll still have fun. I'll check in tomorrow. Bye.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:53 PM   #11  
Southside White Sox Fan

You know that I'm not grumpy with the advice from any of you. It's those darn WW employees! And my Leader who lost all of 13 pounds before becoming a Leader. Sheesh and double harumpf!

Thanks for all the love and support.

I'll be back tomorrow in the correct Chickie frame of mind. Good night from grumpy number one to the rest of her grumpie friends! Don't we all deserve a grumpy day once in a while?
Old 07-16-2007, 09:07 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 215/197/155

Height: 5'7"

I'm with you, anytime you don't gain ~ it's good, but I know how Vickie feels when you've worked so hard & not getting any satisfaction from it. I just know though that she'll be having a big loss here soon.Thanks Paula, for letting me know about the polenta chips ~ they sound great. Have you tried the vegetable chip recipe? Just wondered how they are.

The beach sounds WONDERFUL - I hope it doesn't rain for you ~ enjoy
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:37 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Anybody else awake?

I tell you, when I retire, the only thing I will let intrude on my sleep will be wondering what kind of flowers to plant in my garden!

I've not really learned to turn off my mind. I studied yoga for a long time...I know the "tricks" of not thinking but some nights, they don't work. I'm trying the hot milk routine tonight. It often works.

I think that is some good advice about increasing the protein and not eating cereal for a while. Cereal is so good though for getting the fiber. Of course, adding veggies to the eggs would increase it also.

So, to all sleeping Chickies....see you tomorrow.

Rhonda
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:20 AM   #14  
focused and aiming

i promise to not be grumpy tomorrow--or the next day --or the next --and so on. i'm ready to get back on track.

paula, have fun at the beach. i hope it doesn't rain.

lynn, right now i can't think of anything crunchy. i'll work on it.

vickie, i know what you mean about your leader's not being understanding. we're lucky here in missoula. all the leaders here are outstanding.

rhonda, i have a yoga dvd that i still haven't taken out of the box. i did a little gentle yoga last winter at the club and loved it. i need to start using this one here at home. how do you like dr. oz? i really enjoyed the book. it helped me understand my body better.

okay, i am heading for bed. night night, chickies. i'll be back tomorrow and i'll be all smiles.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:23 AM   #15  

Checked weather.com -- the beach should be 80 and sunny from 9am to 6pm!!! We are off at 9:30 and plan on being home by 4. Then I need to par-boil chicken so I can grill it. Its leg quarters - if I grill it it would be burnt and raw. Have a great day everyone.

Vickie and Sandra -- happy faces!!!