Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-16-2007, 07:34 AM   #1  
Mel

Default The Chat Check In, July 16 - 31, 2007

New thread! new week

It's hot and gray here with rumbles of thunder. My legs are still sore from "legs brutal" on Saturday morning, but it was a good weekend.

Dh and I went to visit ds at camp yesterday. It was staff family day and Camp Alumni day. Adult men who stay attached to scounting their entire lives are odd. Dh wore his t-shirt that the troop had made for their "Invasion of Normandy" with a list of all the battlegrounds they visited. He did have several men in their late 70's come up to him and tell him about their WWII experiences. That was kind of cool.

I survived a pigroast barbecue and only overate seedless red grapes. Being wheat intolerant really limits my ability to get in trouble outside of my own kitchen

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

Cardio done on my dying elliptical (darn! I LIKE seeing those numbers!), and chest at the gym today.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:09 AM   #2  

Default Monday is day one

Great weekend, too much food, not enough exercise, and a really good concert. In other words, lots of fun. Back to the workouts today and a lovely egg-y omlet with cheese and LOTS of water.

Though regarding the drinking, the next table at the concert was ordering rounds at a wild rate that even I was impressed. I was impressed into having one draft beer. I think it must be what scared straight feels like.

Came home to the latest Oxygen magazine, so that was nice incentive to hit the reservoir and get an UBWO done. I was able to walk 30 seconds off of my reservoir trip. Some day I dream of running two laps in under an hour.

MEL - Thinking about another protein snack other than the tofu, umh. Sorry to hear about the elliptical, sounds serious.

I am liking my exercise ball for working out. I use it in place of the platform right now and like the added workout on keeping steady. Though when I used one at the office for a seat, I tended to be very bouncy on it.

Have a great week everyone. I am really recharged after my weekend but would like to be a little closer to my vacation in August.
Sugar Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:13 AM   #3  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Hello all you LWL. Just getting around to some catch up now.

Pat – Love the new picture, glad everything seems to be going well in PT.

LynneA – That’s great that the foot is better, hope you love the new gym.

I’ve been having some kind of bizarre issues stemming from a viral illness I came down with a couple weeks ago. Thought I was getting better aside from some sluggishness and a cough, managed to get through a crazy all-day work event ok last Monday. Then the next day I started having strange sensations and weakness on the right side of my face. Turns out I have something called Bell’s palsy, it’s thought to be caused by a virus that inflames the cranial nerve controlling the facial muscles. So having half my face partially paralyzed kind of had me down and was making me self-conscious. I came down with a migraine last Thursday night, only the second one I’ve ever had in my life so I wouldn’t be surprised if that was somehow related to the inflamed nerve thing. I’ve just been in a funk and not feeling the greatest, thus the exercise has not been happening so much, just a little walking a biking when I’ve felt up to it. I’m feeling a little better and I think my facial muscles are starting to come back a little, I’ve been getting a sort of pins and needles sensation on and off for the past day or so. Anyway, I’m not sick in a way that should prevent me from working out at this point, it’s all mental. I’ve got to get back on track doing at least a little something every day this week, so I’ll be concentrating on that. Plus not eating everything in site.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:42 PM   #4  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Greetings!

I had a fun weekend. Saturday was light cardio day, so I did a 30 min wog (walk + job) in the morning, then in the afternoon took my 5-year old son to the pool. We scootered both ways -- about 2.5 miles each way -- for some added exercise, and to get out of the car.

Scootering is a blast, incidentally, and a great way to get from point A to point B if your kid isn't terribly confident on a bike yet. I never had a scooter as a kid, so maybe I'm just making up for lost time. But, I also enjoy the smiles on people's faces when they see a smallish 5-year old and his almost-40-year old mom jetting down the sidewalk on our Razors. I'm sure we (or I) look silly, but who cares!?

Sunday was back day at the gym. I'm still not anywhere near my training weight on my lifts when I was at my adult best (pre-kid), but I'm making good progress on both deads and assisted pullups. My goal is to be able to do at least one unassisted pullup again within a month.

Happy lifting, all!

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:43 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

I'm back from a lovely "camping" weekend. Mostly we drove, visited a museum, a library, and enjoyed the scenery. We did sleep in our truck back (with a shell, mattresses and sleeping bags) and eat our meals in campgrounds, but there was no campfire (or s'mores ) mostly because, hey, it's light here til midnight still. Also no hiking or fishing. I did take lots of flower photos (I make notecards from them) and we read and just relaxed.

Got back Sunday late afternoon and went into overdrive doing laundry, yard work, etc. My DH vacummed the whole house yesterday, for which I gave him lots and lots of thanks! One thing off my list! Of course, he's leaving again tomorrow morning for a fishing trip and wanted me to do all the necessary laundry and shopping to get him ready.

Work is still nuts, and will be through this month as we wind down our summer reading program. August is always a quieter, more leisurely month in the library world. Except I have 2 staff off on vacation and a 3rd will be off part of it recovering from surgery. Still, always less users in August.

I've not caught up with you all yet, but I'm off to do that now. Just wanted to say hi!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:03 PM   #6  
Mel

Shan hope you are feeling better!
Welcome back, Pat.
Hi Kaw do you switch sides when you scooter?
Liza- I don't think my Oxygen came yet I've been going through back issues for fresh ideas.

Shoulders and oddball exercises today. Lots of playing with a stability ball and a bosu The gym was near empty except for the usual mob on the cardio machines and the umpteen kids at the pools.

Mel
Old 07-17-2007, 09:57 PM   #7  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hi Everyone

I'm back from vacation! Little known fact about Hilton Head, (at least to me) it's covered with people vacationing from Ohio. If I saw one more Tressel or OSU related t-shirt while I was there it would have been one too many. We had a great time though really. I got DH out of bed each morning around 6:00am to run on the bike paths. Any later than that and it is too hot and the families on bikes will mow you down. We did run on the beach the last morning we were there. Great experience. After the Tuesday and Thursday runs I did my cardio/weight routine that my PT put together for me. This was great fun on the third floor patio over looking the condo pool. Fortunately no one was in it yet so I didn't feel too self conscious about it until one of the plates from the adjustable dumb bells fell out.

The eating stayed clean up until Thursday. DH and I went out for dinner at a place called the Frosty Frog. Yes there was chicken involved but it was covered in Marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese. I think there were a few grain alcohol drinks in there too. I almost lost my dinner though after listening to a 14 year old sing Freebird during karaoke hour.

DS2 had a great time riding his mini bicycle on the packed sand wearing his cowboy hat purchased in Savanah. He kept riding into the waves screaming Yehaw the whole time. He so does not take after my side of the family. DS1, the one more like me, just kept saying "This is so nice Mom, really really nice." as we were walking along the beach one evening before bedtime. Night and Day the two brothers are...

In retrospect I have to say this was the best vacation I have ever taken. It wasn't so much the location, although it was very nice but the state of mind I had while there. For the first time I could actually live in the moment and enjoy it. I was absolutely giddy during our morning runs and during the cool down afterward because I never imagined nor would anyone believe that DH and I would voluntarily get up to run first thing in the morning. Ever. I am just so grateful for all that I have learned and accomplished in the past 18 months that has gotten me to this level of fitness. It was worth every single moment spent researching, sweating, and lifting.

Pat: I like your new avatar! Nice to see your smiling face. Camping without smores?! Hope things slow down to a comfortable pace again soon. DS1 just finished his summer reading program hours this week too. The 300 pg book he took along on vacation helped get those hours in.

Okay. I have to get some rest now. Hope everyone has great workouts tomorrow and keep the injuries at bay!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:25 PM   #8  
kaw

Mel: My right foot is dominant, so I feel a lot more comfortable using it to balance on the scooter and kicking with the left. But, I switch it around for variety, and to give the right leg a rest. (For me, maintaining balance and the slight lunge with the non-kicking leg at each "stroke" is more tiring than kicking itself.)

Pat: I grew up in Alaska (birth to college), and still consider myself as much an Alaskan as anything else. Knowing Alaskan small towns, I can almost guarantee we have mutual acquaintances. At any rate, nice to "see" a fellow Alaskan on the board.

Kim
Old 07-17-2007, 11:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

It was kinda quiet at work this evening so I did a little reading at stumptuous.com. Krista's inspiration pages are fabulous.
3FC is mentioned!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:37 AM   #10  
Mel

Quote:
In retrospect I have to say this was the best vacation I have ever taken. It wasn't so much the location, although it was very nice but the state of mind I had while there. For the first time I could actually live in the moment and enjoy it. I was absolutely giddy during our morning runs and during the cool down afterward because I never imagined nor would anyone believe that DH and I would voluntarily get up to run first thing in the morning. Ever. I am just so grateful for all that I have learned and accomplished in the past 18 months that has gotten me to this level of fitness. It was worth every single moment spent researching, sweating, and lifting.

Wow- that sure says it all about a healthy lifestyle! Glad you had such a fantastic time! And I love "your" beach picture

Haha, I know what you mean about beaches being covered with people from Ohio! When dd and I were in Jamaica last year, I wore my OSU baseball cap on the beach. At least 3 times a day, some stranger would shout "Go Buckeyes! and come ask me where in Ohio I lived. They were usually from Columbus or Cincinatti (how do you spell that??)

Welcome back!

Mel
Old 07-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #11  

PAT - Sounds like a lovely and relaxing trip. Are you all getting geared up for HP6? DD gets home from camp just in time to settle in with a new book.

MEL - the latest Oxygen (9/06) was pretty good I think, a lot of good stuff and I am filling out the "Things to Sweat About" page, it is focused on food and eating and quality of food choices. Number one job for me is smaller portions.

After my last UBWO I had some nice soreness in the right spots, funny how much I look forward to that, blah, but it does mean my form is on track.

LYDIA - Love the new picture and I caught your push ups on the beach, you are my hero. You sound like you are in a great place mentally.

I start my HIIT workout next week, I am feeling ready for that. I have never done the workout outside before, always on a treadmill, so I know that I am going to feel it.

My summer goal of making exercise a regular activity is getting there. Last night I worked until midnight so today I am taking a rest day so I don't hurt myself as I am sort of asleep. But I have scheduled my workout for tomorrow am and have a fall back plan if it rains alot.

Off to see if I can find any of the brown rice sushi for lunch, otherwise, I think I will stick to the salad bar at WFs.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:09 PM   #12  
Working My Way Back Down

Liza (whispering), it's HP7! But yes, we are. The independent bookstore in town is sponsoring a sort of scavenger hunt (i.e. finding some sort of HP thing in various other stores) beginning about 9 pm Friday night. The library is having quidditch matches on the lawn from 8-10:30 (we're right in the center of town), which thankfully, I am not a part of!

Kim - where are you from? I'm in Palmer and have been for the last 33 years.

Lydia - your vacation sounds like it was great! I just love it when everything falls into place (even a night at the Frosty Frog). Sounds like your family enjoyed it too.

I am feeling very unsettled both with food and exercise. I need badly to reestablish a routine for both. I'm trying to decide whether going back to WW (which is how I originally lost) just for the accountability. Or maybe I should just give myself a good and start writing appointments with myself for exercise and planning meals more than 10 minutes in advance. Grrrr. I know what to do, just doing it seems to be the problem at the moment.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:08 AM   #13  

Lightbulb I need to get with the program

PAT - I am so laughing at myself, HP7 indeed, I am so out of it. Lucky I know what HP means. Now if you were talking murder mysteries (Agatha) or spies (John Le.) I would be all over that. And of course, I seem to be able to keep up with my knitting books as well and that is a whole other cult going on. In fact, I am part of an online knitting project, Mystery Shawl 3, that is taking a break during the HP7 release. thanks for setting me straight, won't sound so dopey.

You and I are in the same boat, I know what to do, I have the tools to do it, just need to do it. WW is a great program and I plan to get back to the weekly meetings once I am into the fall/school routine. The leader at the local Thursday evening meeting is a great motivator, she is perky without being too perfect. I had one leader who was a little Goth (if you can believe it) for me. Diversity is the name of the game here in Cambridge.

Anyway, slept in again, exhausted for some reason, no, I really do know the cause, just my cycle going haywire with my age. I know if I got my diet under control, I would feel better overall.

DH and I are meeting for lunch since he is working in Boston, so we are going for squid salad, at the local Portuguese restaurant.

Then we will be buckling down. We have decided to downsize two used cars to one new car, or actually a Toyota Four Runner that will be able to tow a pop-up camper our 50th birthday presents to ourselves. The single car family should get me walking more if nothing else.

Have a great day, the sun has come out, who knows for how long. Scheduling my workouts for the rest of the week, at least I am thinking about exercise.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:10 PM   #14  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hang in there Liza and Pat. I really think pulling it all together with the food and exercises becomes more habitual with each passing week. Once step at a time. Not easier mind you but less of mindful approach if that makes sense.

While on vacation I read a book that helped put many of the food issues into focus and validate some of the things I had been doing. I originally heard about the book from Libby1972 who posts in I think the Maintainers forum. "Water with Lemon" is the name of the book. I caution you I didn't think that the storyline or the characters were greatly developed but the information in the book regarding conscious eating helped me to reaffirm some of the thoughts I've had about clean eating vs convenience foods. In the beginning of the book one of the main characters infers that there is a war going on between marketers/producers of foods and those who are trying to make healthful choices. This was something that I kept tucked under my hat as I initially began to lose weight. I felt that I was better/more important than the magic muffin in the coffee shop and refused to let them win. Anyway, I think it may be an interesting read if you haven't already picked it up.

Liza: Enjoy that new Toyota! The camper sounds like a great deal of fun.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:43 PM   #15  
kaw

Morning, all!

I'm mid-way through week 3, and still keeping on track, minor "setback" with a two-faced, no-good, lying, cheating, yellow-bellied scale notwithstanding. (I posted about it elsewhere -- basically, the scale I thought was 5-ish pounds off turns out to be 15 pounds off, and in the predictable direction. Tee hee.)

All in all I've lost around 7 pounds, which isn't really even visible on my frame. But I feel 6 times better. I'll keep plugging away!

Pat: Fairbanks. Lived there from 1968-1988ish.

Kim

Last edited by kaw; 07-19-2007 at 01:43 PM. Reason: clarity