Carb Counters - Weekly Chat 7/16 - 7/22

View Full Version : Weekly Chat 7/16 - 7/22

jaesueray
07-16-2007, 07:19 AM
Morning all!!

Had a very stressful week and long hours to boot....hopefull thats over and i can get back to posting like i want to.

Made myself some french toast for brekfast along with a sausage, very good and very satisfying. Since the week of my daughters wedding ive been slipping and sliding with my woe. This week im committed to doing better and to start losing again.

I found some great meat bargins yesterday. My groc store had boneless pork loin for 1.99 a pound. Thats half what it normally costs. I got a nice one, had it sliced half in chops and half in roasts. I got a nice chuck roast for the same price. I have chicken thighs marinating in the fridge for tonite. I made a salad for lunch, i will just throw a meat from the cafeteria with it and im good to go. Bought some protein bars and nuts for those days that im at work late, didnt plan on being late and get hungry. Sooooo.....i feel ready for the week!!:carrot::carrot::carrot: Wish me luck!!:hug::hug:Jae

aud
07-16-2007, 10:14 AM
Mornin' jaesueray & All!:) This will be the last time I see 8am for the forseeable future - back to night shift tonight. It's been a great 2 weeks vacation but will spend the day wearing myself out on all the little things I didn't get done around the house that I wanted to. PLUS, I've got to get to the store to stock up for this woe - don't want to fall prey to not having what I need on hand. I've got SF Jello on the list and whipped cream for snack. Anyone got any other ideas? I'm on strict induction.

lilyb - tx for the wb!:hug: We put in our garden rather late this year - can't wait for it to make. Yours sounds so bountiful - my mouth was watering for squash after reading, so put that on my shopping list!:) Did all the pups find good homes?

Weighing in officially tonight at work - hope my all time high doesn't get alltime-higher! lol!:dizzy: Sipping on my first 44oz of water with coffee - dehydrated from Camp-Out Sunburn.:cool: DID get a lot of exercise just being on the river - but gonna hit the weight room a bit tonight as well.

It's good to be back. TTYAL!

SherryA
07-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Good morning. I'm not on track, can't seem to get there. Feeling fatter than ever. Disgusted with myself, but so lacking in real motivation lately. I need a kick from somewhere. The heat makes it hard to want to spend any time shopping, planning or cooking. I'm a mess. Not trying to make excuses, just can't figure out where I'm going to find some motivation from. I hate being this fat. I lost some weight a couple of weeks ago, but have gained it back. Plus I think losing it released some estrogen from my fat cells because I wound up getting a period when I haven't had one in like 6 months or so. So that is discouraging. I want to lose weight, but at that cost? Frustrating.

Sorry I'm so negative today, just can't find what it takes to WANT it badly enough right now. You'd think the numbers climbing on the scale would motivate me, but that isn't doing it. Maybe I should just start with baby steps. Eating breakfast and drinking lots of water.

aud
07-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Ahhh Sherry - I've been where you are for months now and know EXACTLY how you feel.:hug: I haven't had a period in - omgosh - I guess its been like 16 months? I'd really freak if I had one now I think. (I'm 46) But for these months, at times, I've felt like I always did right b4 a period. Weepy - bloated - crabby - moody - down - slef loathing - self pity . . . but never getting the relief that I got when the actual period started, ya know? The only thing that has helped me is OTC Estroven - nothing miraculous mind you - but I can REALLY tell when I forget to take them! (I space them out to about 4 a day.) The other symptom I forgot to mention is forgetting EVERYTHING/Misplacing EVERYTHING/hot flashes/sweats. Was just driving me the short trip to CRAZY - Estroven has helped with that as well.

The biggest thing I've done to motivate myself though - has been to return to this m/b!:hug: You guys are GREAT!:carrot:

aud
07-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Got most of the housework done - off to the store - that pantry isn't stocking itself! LOL!:D

Have been reading around and realized I've never tried the 1 Minute Muffin - is it suitable for Induction?:?: I went ahead and put flaxseed on my list regardless.

FitinTime
07-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Hi Sherry,
Boy, everything you mentioned I have felt and still do at times, it's not fun living in that mode. I'm in the process of changing all that.
But you know, there comes a time when we have to say to ourselves, "am I going to keep living this way or am I going to do something about it!"
Because the way we talk is not going to get us anywhere except more and more in the hole.
I know that if I can do it you can! I am the biggest procrastinator, and I am the biggest giver upper too. If something doesn't work out for me, I would always say, okay that's it I quit!
I would compare myself to others and say, why can't I do that!
I guess we don't realize that everybody struggles with one thing or another.
We just have to decide for ourselves whether we want it or not.
I know once you vent, and I know the hormones could be taking too, that you will get back on track and you can lose the weight you want.
Even if it's a pound at a time, a little progress is better than no progress. Pretty soon all your progress will add up.
I know you can do it! But you also need to start speaking positive things in your life, as uncomfortable as it seems, the more we do that the easier it will be to get past this.
Here's some positive word for you: You will lost the weight you want and you will be happy, you will have peace and you will be motivated!
That is my affirmation to you.
You can Do it Sherry! :hug:

RobinW
07-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Aud!! Is that you?!?!?!! :woohoo: welcome back girly!!

Well, the stress is eating away at me. Im having an awful time getting my poop together. I was doing good, but when stuff happened that I dont have any control over, I head for the chocolate...this time I added wine! :yikes: so you know its getting serious!! :whoo:

On the plus side, we finally got internet hooked up at the shop :woohoo: So I can check in more often, and hopefully keep me on track!

Suppose I should get some work done eh? :write:

Have a great day ladies!

aud
07-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Yes its reallyreally me Robin! LOL!:D Just quickly gonna add to fitintime's positive affirmation to you:

Just think how good all that chocolate and wine was for your heart girl!:carrot:

My Big Sis is on a regimen of chocolate/wine and baby aspirin per her Doctor! (She has lupus and has developed heart trouble.:( - she also does NOT have a weight problem though!)

okokok . . . forcing myself to log OFF and GET TO IT!:dizzy:

lilybelle
07-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Hi ladies,

My son made it home from his Desert Training in California. They didn't let them shave or cut their hair that whole 5 weeks so he was pretty scruffy looking. Of course, he showered, shaved and got a haircut right quickly when he got home. LOL. He said it was VERY HOT out there but he enjoyed the training and "had a blast". Go figure.

I'm maintaining my wt. OK but would still like to drop a couple lbs. to give me a little "wiggle room". My exercise is good. My clothes all fit like they should.

I worked really hard in my garden yesterday with clearing weeds. Removed some plants that were too overcrowded. I have TOO many tomatoes and peppers. I need a good home-made salsa recipe to help use some of these up. Even after all the gardening , I still walked on my treadmill last night.

Aud, I did find good homes for all the puppies. I kept one puppy for my DD. It was a bad decision. This puppy drives me nuts. Constantly digging out of the yard and shredding / chewing everything she can find. (Including the water hose, her plastic swimming kiddie pool, her water bucket etc.). She is not able to be housetrained yet. She is WAY too hyper and pees herself with excitement. LOL. Hopefully when she gets older, she'll be an awesome dog like her mother is. We've spent the summer laying a foot deep trench of concrete all the way around our back fenced yard to try to keep this puppy in the dang yard. It's been very hard work, expensive and a PITA.

aud, I've gotten so bad about losing things and forgetting stuff that I think at tims I'm losing my mind.

Sherry, Hugs, I know how hard it is to get back on track. Coming to this forum does help me in knowing I'm not alone in my struggles. Hang in there and you'll find the motivation you need.

Jae, those roasts sound good. I got a great deal on chicken leg quarters at .48cents a lb. I bought 20 lbs. worth, so we're having chicken most every night with dinner.

aud
07-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Can't believe I asked about puppies and didn't even comment about your DS, lilyb!:o SO glad he's back safe!

Yeah, forgetting the dangdest things (time/date/watch/glasses/KEYS - you name it and I've LOST IT in the last several months!!!:mad:) . . . and then remembering things from years ago like it was yesterday! I just thought - I even remember that you Big Dogs name is Molly, right? (I cheated on that one 'cause that's my DD who will be turning 21 next month.)

I've got the pantry somewhat stocked and am on the way to hit that dreaded time clock . . . cya all in the Wee Hours!:)

lilybelle
07-16-2007, 10:45 PM
aud, I actually lost my wedding rings and haven't found them. I think I put them up somewhere but can't remember where. I've lost my keys twice, once to find them in the ignition with the doors locked. UHOH. Had to have one of DH's cop buddies come get my car unlocked for me. LOL, Quite embarassing. I've put things (like my brush) in the fridge and things such as sliced cheese up in the cabinet instead of the fridge. I definitely got it bad. Dang menopause, I am losing my mind.

Yes, my dog is named Molly and puppy is Lucy. (although Lucy should have been named PITA.)

I'm hot and sweaty after working an hr. in my garden and then cleaning up my yard and mowing it.

Big victory for me tonite. My kids made chicken and dumplins for the whole family. I didn't eat any, I ate a salad and some green beans and a fresh tomato from my garden instead.

aud
07-17-2007, 06:19 AM
We are leading parallel lives lilyb!:dizzy: Haven't lost the wedding rings yet - but it's just cause I'm too bloated fat to get the suckers OFF!:o

We also have a new pup - West Highland Terrier: Ginger . . . she's a joy and also should be named PITA - right on down to the excited urine squirts. Trenches? Hmmmmm . . . hadn't thought of that.

Had a great OP day and already have the dry mouth . . . actually lost 3lbs on the beer guzzle vacay - Here's to you Mr. BudLight Inventor!:hug:

SherryA
07-17-2007, 11:17 AM
Lilybelle,

Good salsa recipe. Lots of chopped up tomatoes. Two or three jalapeno or serrano (hot) peppers. About half a red onion (or more depending on how many tomatoes you use). Two or three stalks of cilantro chopped up with scissors. Salt to taste.

Stir it all together and if you feel like it part of it can have some avocado chopped into it.

It isn't really a recipe obviously since I didn't give you real proportions, but you just add the ingredients until it looks right, colorful and tastes right. With fresh tomatoes from your garden? It is wonderful.

You can make it into a dip by layering salsa, avocado, sour cream and cheese into a caserole. If you are into it some refried beans can be one of those layers. I've served it with potluck events and it is always a hit.

I'm thinking of trying something semi vegetarian. I just can't get into all high protein meals in this heat of summer. Vegetables sound much more appealing, and they should be low cal if I keep everything else out of the way. Atkins always works for me, but for some reason once I've stopped it, I have a really hard time going back to it. There is a lot of negative thoughts in my mind about it. Things like dehydration (which I'm prone to) and constipation, and having a hard time finding something without bread, but meaty to eat for lunch. I think if I start thinking of myself as being on a vegetarian (mostly) diet, then I won't go looking for high protein, can eat lighter, eat fewer calories, but have the focus be on living foods rather than meats. When I'm doing Atkins I don't really limit my consumption of vegetables (except the really starchy ones) anyway, so I think the diet will wind up nearly the same, but maybe feel easier to think of and do by focusing more on light vegetable type foods. I'm not saying I'll give up meat, maybe just limit the quantity of it and other higher calorie or higher fat foods. Sort of do Atkins with much more veggy emphasis rather than meat/protein.

Anyway thanks everyone for the support. I am getting sick of this fat, plus I do think I've had more mental confusion lately. Harder to focus on anything. So maybe it is just menopause. I'm 51 so it certainly is time!

lilybelle
07-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Sherry, I find that now I'm calorie counting, I have days when I have very little protein. I just log my food each day in Fitday and don't really care much about the ratio's. As long as I stay around 1400-1500 cal's a day, I consider it a success. Of course, I still have the occasional 3000cal. day. OOPS. My biggest trouble with switching to this new way of eating is that it seems like Nothing is off limits and I overdo it sometimes. Then I'll drop to 1200 cal's for a while and take off any gain and start the whole process all over again. I guess, I suck at maintenance. I'm more the 5 lb. princess. LOL, with all the wt. fluctuation that I have going on. But, I do still weigh twice a week and if I gain, I set out to take it right back off. I know that exercise really helps me to maintain or regain control when needed.

Thanks for the salsa recipe. I am going to try it and I'll let you know how it turns out. DH and DS are asking for fresh salsa.

I'm taking the girls to the pool today. My sunburn is healed. I've got quite a "farmer's tan" going after all the yard work yesterday. LOL.

aud
07-17-2007, 02:31 PM
mmmmmm salsa . . . double mmmmmm: avocados! YUM!

Maybe you ought to just be thinking "lighter" proteins sherry? Like fish and chicken? I love the link jrseygirl posted to Linda's LowCarb - there were so manymany "*" of salads I can have on Induction - so my plan for the week is to incorporate the salads with some "lighter" proteins 'cause its so danged HOT here in MO. There's also a section of Main Dish SALADS as your entree that have the * Induction asterisk!

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

Healthy choices - I love leaving the "processed" foods behind regardless of weight loss or gain, ya know?

lilybelle
07-18-2007, 10:07 AM
Hi everyone, I had a horrible eating day yesterday. Good news was I did have the sense to turn down a candy bar that my SD bought me while we were at the pool. I still went over on my cal's yesterday and the scale was up this morning. Dang it. It seems I'm rewarding myself with crappy food for getting in plenty of exercise. I gotta get my butt in gear and take off a few lbs. again. Lately I'm having TOO many carbs such as crackers and graham crackers which definitely move that scale right up. I've only had my morning coffee so far today, so plan is to get my act straightened up and fly right. I see my Dr. again on Sept. 5th and he's gonna be thoroughly pi@@ed at me if I show a gain. I'm really considering going and buying the Alli and giving it a try to get the scale back down. I sure hate to waste the money on it though, but it might be my last resort. I think I'd be a lot more careful of how much fat I eat, if I was on Alli. I would be too afraid of having an accident.

SherryA
07-18-2007, 12:25 PM
What is Alli?

aud
07-18-2007, 02:53 PM
A gal I work with is taking Alli and she says she has to really watch her fat intake or she just LIVES in the bathroom. (Which is a scary proposition when you work on an assembly line and can't go to the rest room immediately!:o) SO - she's watching her fat but I've noticed she still is waaaay into candy type sugar foods (I think on the theory that they are low fat?:?:)

Alli is at Walgreens here . . . kind of pricey and I think works on the absorption of the fat you eat - binding with it so it leaves the body pronto?

I've read there are issues if you take with any kind of medication . . . I also read that its just like some prescription diet pill - just 1/2 strength.

RobinW
07-18-2007, 06:36 PM
I just got my refill of alli online at cvs. 120 capsules for 59.99 and free shipping. I dont know if they still have the 10$ coupon, but they do have free shipping for orders over $50..I think. Ceck out myalli.com

Lily, I dont think its a waste of money at all, but thats just me. I like the stuff, and I think it works great.

lilybelle
07-19-2007, 01:46 AM
Thanks Robin, I may try it starting Aug. 1st if I'm not back down to my goal by then. I didn't mean to say it's a waste of money. I was talking about for me in general since I'm only a few lbs. over goal. Sorry , I should have explained that better. Also, my budget is tight with school starting next month and needing to buy DD and SD school clothes. I do think the Alli might help me to stay on plan better . I'm very happy that you like it and it is helping you

I stayed perfectly on plan today. It sure felt good and I did my walking outside of 3 miles on the steep hill. It was HOT and I came back pouring with sweat.

I layed outside to tan today. LOL, I'm sure I looked like an idiot. I had 2 pr. of glasses on (my regular ones and sunglasses for the glare) , an umbrella over my face and the sprinkler squirting my legs. I'm trying to get rid of the "farmers tan" from all the yard work. LOL.

RobinW
07-19-2007, 09:55 AM
Thanks Robin, I may try it starting Aug. 1st if I'm not back down to my goal by then. I didn't mean to say it's a waste of money. I was talking about for me in general since I'm only a few lbs. over goal. Sorry , I should have explained that better. Also, my budget is tight with school starting next month and needing to buy DD and SD school clothes. I do think the Alli might help me to stay on plan better . I'm very happy that you like it and it is helping you

No need to explain Lily, I had felt the same way....I didnt want to spend $60 on something that might or might not work. I bought my first bottle, right after we opened the store.....and money was pretty much non-existant at that time :lol:

Well, Im not doing so great with my eating. Im using food as a comfort thing. Stress is peaking at the shop....spending a big chunk of money for a new piece of equipment that is coming in on monday :eek: I really need to turn to my treadmill when Im stressed, not chocolate!!

Anyway, have a great day ladies.

Azure
07-19-2007, 01:20 PM
I think Alli's more of a psychological aid than anything else. I did the math. Alli suggests a low-fat, reduced calorie diet in addition to taking the pill--and the pill itself works to block about 25% of the fat you eat. So, I took a 2,000 calorie diet (I'm assuming most women would be eating less). Alli suggests no more than 30% of your calories come from fat--so on a 2,000 calorie diet, that's about 600 calories coming from fat. Alli blocks 25% of the fat you consume, so that's only 150 calories blocked in a day.

If you're a woman and eating less total calories and therefore, also eating less calories from fat, the calories blocked in a day is even less than 150. So, really, you could cut out 1.5 ounces of cheese a day and avoid 150 calories...or two slices of bread. Y'know?

I know a woman on Alli and she feels it's helping her--I think spending the $$ on the pill and taking a pill helps her to feel motivated. I'm glad it's helping her feel on track, but I think the actual drug benefiting anyone is pretty questionable, considering how few calories it actually blocks.

RobinW
07-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Alli suggests no more than 30% of your calories come from fat
yes, but if you are following low carb, and more atkins related diets....still only blocking 25%, but of a larger fat ratio in your day. This is especially good, when you hit a plateau, that 150 blocked calories may just be what is needed to get things moving.

So....Ive blocked 150 calories, then I get on the treadmill, and burn another 150 calories....thats 300 calories Ive burned, and I didnt have to give up my 1 oz of cheese and herbal tea, that I absolutely love to have during my evening relaxation time. So, yes for me its worth it.......for others, no, they will cut out whatever.

I think you are right in that it is mental booster. For me, its a comfort, knowing that, that much extra is working "for" me, to help me get the lbs off. That is worth $60 every 2 months.

lilybelle
07-19-2007, 02:33 PM
I'm happy to report that the scale is back down the 4 lbs. that I had gained. I went for my walk last night, then started diuresing like crazy. (Was peeing like a horse, LOL). It took me a while to realize that the big gain was most likely caused from me having my liver rash and my DR. doubling my prednisone for a week (which I finished the double dose on Monday). I guess it took my body a few days to release all the extra water I was retaining. Either way, I feel thinner today and not bloated.

I'm really tired of the gain/lose yo-yo game I've been playing. So, I'm recommitted to staying strictly on plan and maintaining now that I hit my goal wt. again.

Good news is we're going to the pool again today and I don't have that big belly bloat to worry about and try to hide.

aud
07-19-2007, 02:57 PM
"Mornin'" All!:D
Been chuckling at the phrase "farmers tan" lilyb . . . hadn't heard that one in awhile - and have had a few myself!:D DH and my FIL have permanent ones!

I did get a nice tan over the two week down time - not really intentional - just a lot of time on the river. Problem with one piece suit - my glowing white stomach when I'm undressed!:o:D

lilybelle
07-19-2007, 09:48 PM
aud, I've now got a really nice tan except my face is too dark. Of course, I wear a 1 piece suit and my belly and butt look ghostly white. LOL. SD and DD have been using a tanning bed and my DD burned her butt really bad. LOL, she just had to show it to us.

my DH and DS both have a "farmer's tan" right now. LOL. We were picking on DH about the dark tan line above his socks. LOL, he said "OK, I'm gonna wear a thong to work outside in the yard and get a tan". This might scare off any neighbors or passersby for sure. LOL. He does have a really nice butt, so I wouldn't mind if he just put on a private show for me (in a thong). LOL. Dang, I must be feeling frisky. LOL

FitinTime
07-20-2007, 11:27 AM
Hi Ladies!
How's everyone doing?
I'm starting to figure what foods are slowing my weight loss down. One of them is Breyers Sugar Free ice cream. I know it still has milk in it and the last two nights for dessert, I've had it. I noticed that before I was eating that I was losing, now I'm at a standstill.
So that's out for me.
I was also eating a little bit of walnuts too, I'm not sure if that is affecting me as well, even though I know I can have them.
I think for me, just to eat the basic food sort of like on the induction phase, but a little more veggies and salads and berries will work.
Oh does anyone have any good salad recipes involving strawberries or blueberries along with a good viniagrettes.
Let me know!
Thanks Ladies!!! :carrot:

RobinW
07-20-2007, 12:59 PM
:eek::eek::fr::fr::fr::headache::yikes::yikes:
K, Im just toooooooooo stressed out, and I really dont know what to do about it besides come here and rant :(

Im at the shop, but heading home in a little while. I think I'll take a nap, and refrain from eating the box of cookies in the cupboard!!!

aud
07-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Been There Robin!:mad::dizzy::mad: Had Night From **** at work last nite - found myself staring into the fridge and cupboard @ 5am! I drank a glass of water and went to bed. Something I've been trying to do this time around is when I feel like that to just take off walking - did that a few times last nite. Never did get my planned walk in - but the # of times I just took off walking counted for something, I hope!:D

Hang in there girl - and throw those cookies in the TRASH!:hug:

Has Sherry been around?:?: Haven't seen her lately.:(

nasus40
07-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Hey I am back. came back today and did manage to eat OP all week. snuck 4 pbm&m's but that was it. no marshmellows no smores. no pancakes or frenchtoast or hashbrowns. I was good. I kayaked across the lake 4 miles eachway and hiked the mountain about 2 miles each way (got a blister on the ball of the foot, from wet socks) and still managed to eat OP.

(It helped that on the day I left i saw a new low for me)

I read all the posts in this thread but can not do individual posts or replies but I just want to say Hi to allyou lovelies I am glad to be back where my friends are and where people do not try to shove cookies and brownies or carbs in my face.

Bouncing
07-22-2007, 02:36 AM
Evenin' gals. Hey, I noticed something a while back, which seems to be even kore pronounced now: if I skimp ion veggies, no matter what else I am/am not eating, I want to binge at night. But if I eat plenty of veggies, I don't. Anybody else have this experience? I have a theory (yeah, yeah, I always have a theory. The highest concentration of energy is in sugar and fat. We evolved in ah environment where getting enough energy (food) was a big challenge, so those who got the most sugar and fat won the reproduction lottery. Natural selection favored those who craved sugar and fat (and salt, another thing it was hard to get enough of). The reptile brain isn't all that sophisticated. It doesn't crave, say vitamin b12, or calcium, and direct us to the appropriate foods. It just knows there's a lack of some kind, so it must be fixable with sugar/fat/salt. GIVE ME SUGAR/FAT/SALT, NOWNOWNOW! If I eat a balanced diet, including enough calories, no cravings. If I don't, cravings. There you have it, Shellie's Theory du Jour. (sp?)

nasus40
07-22-2007, 08:53 AM
Shelly what a wonderful theory. I also find if I do not eat enough to fill my stomach including vegies and fat that I too have cravings. so actually in part you are right. I did reading this week in my overly detailed but very interesting PPLP book.

at camping this week i gave my self a good read several times a day. (too much info and detailed to take in too much at one time) where they like some others that I have tread say that sugar and carbohydrates metabolize into exorphins which is a opioid substance similar to opium leaving the body craving it like opium. (this is not the first place that I have read this) and it does explain why we can not leave the stuff alone. That is why at big meals we can say no to more meat but when the potatoes come back around we take a small helping and when the cake, icecream or pie comes back out we say yes even though we are stuffed to the gills. but nobody says yes to meat. What gets me is that even those that are overweight keep asking well one piese willnot hurt. I am so addicted to the stuff that yes one piese will hurt. would you offer just one drink to an alcoholic?? or one shot to a drug addict??? NO so why flaunt the stuff in the face of a food addict??? If I say no the I mean NO!!!! (OK stop ranting)

Also in the book i was reading though the million of years ago people ate much meat they ate off the land which did not grow doughnuts or fruit loops it had grain occasionally (if they could find them), fruits when in season, and what ever it could find for vegies. according to what I was reading our digestion and body make up is made to eat meat, and vegies with some fruit. so yes your theory is correct. It sure was an interesting read. and yes I know it was givng testomony to prove the low carb WOL but it works for me. and I feel so much better on it than a low fat. If anybody wants a good read I do suggest Protien power Lifeplan book. very detailed and does explain in GREAT detail everything from the different types of cholesterol to cellular responces to the different eating ways. and what the body truely needs. it is several years old but it sure is informative.

now to the daily stuff. I weigh 214 again today not the same that I saw before I went camping but I did break the virgin fat barrier so that is coming down off my ticker. I ate a lot of salty foods so i imangine that most of my weight is water now that I may drop down a pound or two when I start to up my fluid intake.

lillie when the husband wears the thong let me know. I can use a good peek!! :lol: Prednisone is nasty stuff and I am sure glad that you are off it and have lost the fluid that hangs on when taking it.

Alli I have never hear of it until I came back here i have tried every diet trick pill and hypnosis in the book. I have had carb blockers fat blockers, and much more. that is a new one. I seem to like the metabolism boosters though I do not take them all day just in the morning. I do not drink caffiene much just sip it along the day. I will have to try it when I get stuck. I try not to eat way too much fat. so I do not think that it would be a problem with bathroom trips for me. psychological or not I need that extra boost.

aud
07-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Tx for some interesting reading with my coffee this "morning" bouncing & nasus!:hug: Just noticed that we have the same beginning weight nasus - so proud of you for all that exercise on your camp-out and your M&M restraint!:hug: Yeah, not a lot of PBM&M plants in my garden!LOL!:D

Sooooo happy that I lost 5lbs this week!:carrot:

Soooo disgusted that I caved to the usual cycle of carb binging around 4am in the Wee Hours - yes lilyb - same old trigger - chubby-loving (insecure) hub whose been out of town loaded up the fridge and cupboard - I fell for it all yet againagainagainagain ad nauseum . . .

I've got the recognition of the triggers down pat - now just need a coping mechanism . . . I had some success in the past with viewing him AND the comfort food/treats as the ENEMY . . . but always end up caving . . .

IDEAS anyone????:?:

I like the idea nasus posted about offering a drink to an alcoholic . . . how 'bout a loaded gun to someone suicidal?:(

Taking a cue from lilyb - me and the girls are off to the Pool for the day . . . ttyal!:)

nasus40
07-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Aud try to have some low carb sweets available. like cottage cheese, small curd with a pack of sweetener, squirt of vanilla, cinamon, if dryish drops of cream, mix it up and vola you have protien, fat, (just enough to fill you up and sweet enough to ward off those nasty cravings.) eat that and if in 30 min (magic number) you are still starving (key word) and can not resist them then take just one. the 30 min is the key, if you wait 30 min then you can reason your self out of that. As well as fill the tummy so it is not rumbling.

The other thing is DO NOT THINK LONG TERM GOAL it is too much and seemingly impossible. go for weekly or short term goals.

lilybelle
07-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Hi ladies, I've been cleaning house today. I've gotten a lot done, but like always, it wont stay clean for long. I even cleaned the ceiling fans. Living in the country, there sure is a lot of dust. Got all my dusting and vacuuming and mopping done. Now I'm taking a little break. I may clean our master bedroom, or may just sit on my butt and read a book. LOL.

My little watermelon and cantaloupes are growing so well. Can't wait to eat them.

Robin, I made the home-made salsa from your recipe, it is good. I got a little extra peppers in it, but the men love it.

nasus, you could have a peek at my DH in a thong. Everyone needs a good laugh once in a while. LOL.

aud, slap that hubby silly for bringing in junk. LOL. I sent my DH to get me a box of LF cinnamon grahams. He brought me a case of them (12 boxes). DUH, I don't need that many. What was he thinking? Am I a Pig? I sent half of them to my neighbors that have 3 kids.

nasus, unfortuately I have to take prednisone for the rest of my life due to my liver, but I'm not on the double dose anymore. I was on 60 mg. daily for a yr. Then 40 mg. daily for a yr. Then 20 mg. daily for a yr. Then 20 mg every other day, and 10 mg. the opposite day. Now I'm normally on 10 mg. every other day and 5 mg. the opposite day. This reduction in prednisone has certainlly helped me to take the wt. off. Bad thing though is anytime I break out again with my liver rash , the dose is doubled for a week. Makes me hungry as a bear and I swell up like crazy. I think this is the main reason I have so much trouble with the gain/lose yo-yo instead of a steady maintenance wt.

nasus40
07-22-2007, 08:38 PM
I ordered pizza hut for dinner and ordered wings (which I do not like) 2 pizza's and 2 pizones. (large family) I was good I had a salad from McD's what a good girl!!! I did nibble on a chunk of chese off the pizza and there was a small piece of attatched bread about the size of a crouton, so I am feeling awfully proud of me for not caving in on one of my favorites. I am not really even craving it.

Tomorow it is back to the grind so early to bed for me and exercise in the morning. I did bring the total gym into the living room next to the eliptical so i can work out in the morning but as I am not familiar with the routine I will have to do the gym at night and the eliptical in the morning until I am comfortable with the routine and can do it quickly for time constraints.

Lilyb I am sorry that the liver is giving you such problems and yes that is certainly what can get you in a pickel for wt loss. so give your self all the credit you deserve we have nothing on the strong pull when one is on prednisone.

Let me know when DH is in a thong!! :lol: my DS2 was groaning at the site of a older man with out his shirt on saying that is gross. I laughed and said your father goes with out a shirt and he said he is digusting and he tell him so. But the biggest laugh I got was when DS1 said that my BIL is hiding chewbacka in his shirts (lots of dark hair sticking out from his t-shirt)

ADU one time when I was having those kind of cravings I looked closely at my foods and found that I was eating some foods with fillers in. once I stoped it I was fine. (funny I walked into mini-mart for a bottle of water and kept eyeing the cookies and doughnuts. i grabed my bottle of water and turned so fast I did not see the rack of chips behind me and I almost tipped them over, and all I could think of as i was grabbing them to keep from falling was should I take some???, that was when I knew I was doing some thing to trigger the munchies and cravings. It was the seafood salad. the fake crab has starch.)

Azure
07-22-2007, 10:22 PM
I just wanted to write that for the first time in the two weeks of Induction, I caved! I bake muffins, cookies and brownies for my parents' restaurant on a weekly basis. Since starting Atkins, I haven't really had the urge or craving to "taste" while I'm baking. Tonight I don't know what came over me... I've only eaten twice today (I woke up at 11:30AM, though...had a late lunch at 12 and dinner around 6:30)--so maybe that's what triggered it?

Before I knew it, I had half a cookie, a tablespoon full of cookie dough and had licked the batter off of the brownie spoon on my way to put it in the sink. It wasn't a full-on binge, but all that sugar after WEEKS of not having sugar is making me feel a little ill. I know that tomorrow's always fresh--but I had been feeling so impervious to those old habits for so long that I'm feeling disappointed in myself for caving in. I just though I'd share my shame with you ladies.

Lilybelle--

I'm so sorry you have to be on Prednisone. Unfortunately, I had to be on it on a fairly high dosage at the age of 14 to try and control my Ulcerative Colitis. The ravenous hunger is definitely a side effect--and I also was moody, an insomniac and had a really nasty rash/zit-like things pop up on my chest and back--I was told by my Primary Care that these were "normal" side effects. After a little over a month, I switched Specialists and was told I never should have been put on Prednisone in the first place and he weened me off of it. I gained 30 pounds in the space of a month thanks to Prednisone--at age 14 :( I blew up like a baloon--and I've got inch-thick stretch-marks down my stomach and smaller ones on my arms, thighs and behind my knees as a permanant reminder. You're a VERY brave, determined woman to be losing weight while on that stuff and I have a great deal of respect for you to be doing it. *hug*

lilybelle
07-22-2007, 11:32 PM
nasus, that is great that you didn't eat the pizza. I've had pizza twice I think in the last 2 yrs. Each time I ate my salad first then allowed myself only 2 slices. (which for me is good cause I could easily eat 1/2 a large pizza).

nasus and Azure, I've been on prednisone now for 4 1/2 yrs. I was overweight to begin with but gained 50 lbs. in the first 2 yrs. on it. It definitely makes you hungry but like my Dr. said "it doesn't control what you put in your mouth". He's the one that recommended I do low-carb to be able to lose the weight. He was right and it worked.

My niece had to be put on prednisone at age 6 yrs. for Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. She was on it 2 yrs. and gained a ton of weight. She was slowly weaned off it and started playing softball and eventually lost the weight.

Azure, I really don't think I'm being brave. I was having so many wt. related illnesses such as diabetes, PCOS, , high blood pressure, super fast heart rate, shortness of breath. I was very sick. I had to lose the wt. in order to be put on the liver transplant list. So, for me it was totally medically necessary. I'm not sure if I could have done it had my life not depended on it. Now that I've lost weight , even my liver enzymes are better and it may be a while before I have to get the transplant. Losing wt. truly saved my life. Now, I work every day at keeping the wt. off . My Dr. wants me to never weigh over 150 lbs.

Azure, don't feel bad about the little tastes of cookie and cookie dough. That is not so bad. At least you didn't go wild and eat a dozen cookies or so. When I was doing strict Atkins there was a few times I made no-bake cookies and ate bunches of them. Then I'd dust myself off and get back on track. It's part of life and we will all have days that we eat something we shouldn't. My problem was that once I got that taste of sugar, I went nuts and had cravings like crazy.