Old 07-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #1  

Default New to LAWL

Hi everyone

I just started LAWL on July 4th (Independence from FAT day) and so far it's going pretty good. I'm down 5.6 pounds. It's amazing to me, because I've been trying to diet for the past several months - it seems like I hit 45 and the scale started creeping upwards and just kept creeping upwards no matter what I did. My husband had also put on quite a bit of weight after having a couple surgeries this past week, so he is also on LAWL and, being male, having even better results.

I've been checking out the threads here for the past week or so, and we were ecstatic to find that Luna bars are a suitable substitute for the cardboard-tasting L.A. Lites. The counselors at our COD here in the Portland, OR area weren't so thrilled that we found out about that and declined their offer that we purchase all the Lites in advance. (I'm just glad we found out before we invested all that money in the Lites!) If anyone knows a good substitution for the mushroom soup, I'd also be interested in finding a substitution for that. I like the soup, but paying $16 for a box of 7 single-serving packets isn't particularly appealing.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
Luckybustert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:59 PM   #2  
Amy- Red w/Lites

S/C/G: 286/ticker/199

Height: 5'9

Welcome Suz! Sounds like you and your DH are off to a great start!

I've never tried their soup and don't recall a substitute but I'm sure someone on here will have an idea!

Where are you from?

You should come join everyone on the Losers and Friends thread to get to know us all!

Keep up the great work!
amylou7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:10 PM   #3  
tzulover

S/C/G: 223 / 189 / 145

Height: 5'1

Default HI Suz!

LOVED your Independence from FAT day w/starting July 4th!!!!!! Good one!!!!

I don't know a good sub. for the cream of mushroom soup, other than thinking the Healthy Request Campbells soup might be close - probably lower in sodium..... If you need, I do have an old package of LA's that I could tell you the info on it so you can take it to the store. Just let me know.

And congratulations on your weight loss!!!!!!!!!

laura

tzulover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Welcome! As for the soup, there isn't a substitute, sadly. The LAWL soups actually have soy protein in them so anything available at the grocery store just isn't comparable. I do like the soups for cooking things, so maybe that will be the one thing you do buy from them.

As for Lunas, also try the Kashi Crunchy (crunchy only) and the Special K protein bars (meal bars, not snack).
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 218/218/180

Luckybustert - My husband and I are going to start the LAWL program together; I've joined before but with the centers closing down we don't dare enter into another contract. Can you offer any info on the plan they suggested for your husband?

Thanks in advance,
-Christy
ChristyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:19 PM   #6  
Deb on LAWL

S/C/G: 256.8/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Did you really say $16 for the 7 pack of the powdered lights????? That's highway robbery!! I bought them for $10 a box. I don't like it as soup by itself. I usually mix it up with milk and sour cream and use it as a creamy gravy over meat or in some creamy casseroles. Yummy.

Cassi's right, we haven't found a sub for them.
MTdebster921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #7  
LAWL Salt Police

Yeah, soup is a real problem, mostly due to all the salt that's included.. And don't be fooled by "low sodium" soups.. Even the low stuff has way to much... Your best bet is to make your own... I make the LAWL approved clam chowder and it's FANTASTIC!
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #8  

Hi ChristyLee,

They put my husband on the Red plan, same as me. He lost about 50 pounds since July. I've only lost about 15. So today I'm rededicating myself to making this work. I was losing weight on the Red plan, then they changed to the numbered plans and my weight loss came to a screeching halt and never did get started in the right direction again. Went to the COD this morning and told them the new numbered plan is simply more starch than I can handle, and that it makes me crave food like crazy, and I started back on the Red plan yesterday. My husband is also having problems losing weight on the numbered plan and is returning to the color-coded plans. Lesson learned - there is no one size fits all, and you have to listen to your body! (And to LAWL I would say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" We joined because of success others had reported with the color-coded plans, and did NOT appreciate having the plans switched on us just a few short weeks after we started....like they didn't know this was coming???)

Anyway, there's a lot of information on the color-coded plans and when to switch to a different plan on this site, so in the absence of a center I would recommend following those.

Best wishes,
Suzanne
Old 01-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #9  

Thanks Dan, I'll have to give that clam chowder a try!

-Suzanne
Old 01-05-2008, 06:51 PM   #10  

Yes, I'm serious....$16 a box! Needless to say, I don't purchase them very often. And they've stopped giving me a hard time about not purchasing their products -- there's a big bold note in my file that I don't purchase from them

-Suzanne