Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 07-14-2007, 09:45 AM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Default Intervention ~ Shocked!

I usually don't pay much attention to topics or articles on binging and purging. These disorders have never been a part of my life or my family as far as I knew/know. With the recent possible eating disorder of my step-daughter becoming more "real" to our family, I am starting to pay more attention.

I saw a show for the first time, called Intervention, last night on television. I started watching because I heard the words, binging and purging, coming out of the young women's mouth as I was changing channels.

All I can say is my heart goes out to all of you that have this nasty disorder!

Since I have absolutely no idea what causes this disorder or anything about it, there is nothing I can do but send you my prayers and wish you the best.

"Heavenly Father, I ask in your Son's name, to strengthen these girls and women as they journey through this horrible disorder. I ask that you lead them to healthy lives as they cry out for help, seek advice and comfort from you." Amen

That's all I have gals...but if you would like someone to pray for you on a daily basis, feel free to PM me...that is SOMETHING that I can do!

Gary
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

What about your step daughter, is she bulimic/anorexic?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:20 AM   #3  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Bargoo ~ my wife is up at her mom's for a few days...will be back today...step-d is spending time with a couple of college girls that came out from NY to visit....to be honest, at this time we are...Angie and I...trying to sort it all out..if it's true...or not...and proceed as needed to help Lara.

Still taking it all in right now and seeking guidance.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:21 AM   #4  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Gary - I read a previous post about your daughter. I hope things are going well with her and you are able to find out what is going on. I can tell you about my experience with bulemia. At first, it started when I was around 19 and because I wanted to lose weight. I ended up getting to the point where I was exhausted all the time. My muscles didn't want to work. No one else knew what was going on with me. I told my then boyfriend (now my DH) and he helped me to stop. It didn't go on very long, only a few months. I think this is why it was easy for me to stop without any professional intervention.

When I was 21/22 I moved. This was after joining WW and reaching my goal weight. I tried to find a center in the town I was in, but the leaders were horrible and I found myself only going to weigh in and not stay for the meetings. It was my first time not being near my family. I was stressed out because of finances and other things. I started on a new medication and it made me gain weight. The bulemia came back. I had just reached my goal weight not long before that and did not want to gain it back because of that medication. Well needless to say, some people with bulemia don't actually lose weight and I didn't. In fact, I kept packing it on because of the medication. I could see the road ahead and told DH what was happening again. He encouraged me that time to see a professional about it and I did.

What I learned was this - you can never truly rid yourself of the disease. It has been 5 years since that "second time", but I find every 4-6 months or so I will go through a couple of days where I am completely stressed out and can't control anything in my life. Including my eating. The bulemia becomes a way to control that. Its not about losing weight anymore and in a way, it never really was. It was all about control. I recently got through another few days of this and let me tell you, it was a horrible 3 days. After a day or two, I realize "What the **** am I doing?!?! I know this isn't healthy!" Then I suck it up and somehow my willpower comes back.

I'm glad that I am able to recognize now when those feeling start and put a stop to them rather quickly. It is really the thing that saved me.

If anyone would like to talk to me about their experiences, feel free to PM me.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #5  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Thank you Lori for your personal story!

Prayers for you, Gary
Old 07-15-2007, 02:28 PM   #6  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

I rarely miss an episode of Intervention on A&E - just a very well produced/informative reality tv show.
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:58 PM   #7  
Lonesome girl

S/C/G: 168/125/110

Height: 5'4

I watched that one Friday night and usually do try and watch them on Friday's if I am at home. I always focus on the eating disorder ones too because I've had one off and on for years. Mine aren't too bad compared to a lot of though girls, I'm at the point right now I can still control it before it takes over my life the way it does for them.
I really hope everything goes ok with your daughter because it really is hard to get out of. Even though I can still control it every once and a while I will binge and then starve. I've told my mom about it recently though, just so that she knows and she told me to call her as soon as I get tempted to binge and starve and I've been doing so good ever since I had a talk with my mom about it. I'm on the cabbage soup diet right now and I am eating more than I have ever and it's all healthy food. It doesn't even matter now if I lose weight the now, I'm just glad I am eating fruits and veggies now, instead of oreos, and crackers, popcorn and chips.
ashla86 is offline   Reply With Quote