Exercise! - Excuses Excuses

View Full Version : Excuses Excuses

ShyShy19
07-13-2007, 12:21 PM
What is up with me?

Hubby bought me Tae-Bo, I dont really like it because I find the team to be annoying with all the yelling and IMO the music sucks

Hubby bought me yoga dvd. I dont use it becasue its from Denise Austin and I can't stand her, she talks soooo much in this dvd and I thought yoga was supposed to be relaxing.

Hubby bought me pilates set, I like it but I still dont seem to use it much like I should

Hubby bought me new walking shoes so I could start going for walks in the morning and guess what................. I don't do it. Why? becasue it's too hot outside and in the early morning when its cool out I don't do it becasue I don't want to have to wake my 3 year old up to go with me.

I have an excuse for everything.

How do I get put of this rut?:?:

baffled111
07-13-2007, 12:49 PM
You gotta just get out there and do it!

The thing with exercising is that if you sit around waiting to feel motivated, you'll never get started. Instead, you need to make a commitment to yourself that you're going to exercise whether you feel like it or not. If you don't like the dvds, fine, go for a walk. Start small. Today is the day you take a 20 minute walk. You don't have to run or speed walk for 3 hours--just 20 minutes, whether you feel like it or not.

Eventually you're bound to come to like it, but for now, you need to understand it as fulfilling a promise you've made for yourself. It's about commitment, not motivation.

Now go on! Go!

nelie
07-13-2007, 01:13 PM
When you say "hubby bought me ...", do you mean you asked your hubby for something and he bought it or he just bought you something out of the blue?

Maybe if he bought it for you without you asking, then maybe you need to find out what you would like to do?

Also, if you want to try exercise DVDs, you can try getting a blockbuster or netflix subscription, to see if you can find an exercise DVD that you like and are willing to buy?

krissyg
07-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Ugh, Denise Austin.

I hear you on that one though. No wonder why I coulnd't stick with working out the million times I tried... all I had were Denise Austin videos!!

LisaMarie71
07-13-2007, 01:50 PM
I spent years making excuses not to work out. Some of them may have been valid, as some of yours seem to be (like the heat -- it is pretty miserable out there, and if I couldn't run in the morning I'd have to do it all inside). I didn't stop making excuses until I just made the commitment to stick to exercising no matter what. Then I got hooked on it, and I don't make excuses anymore. In fact, I always notice that when little things happen that I COULD use as an excuse, I don't let them sway me. Forgot my socks for the gym? I go buy new ones or work out without socks. Cramps? Oh well..the exercise will make it feel better. (That was an excuse I could've used today, but I ran 11 miles instead).

You'll get there. At first it's a commitment, then it becomes a habit, and then you love it and you don't want to make excuses. You do, as Nelie suggested, have to find what YOU like, though.