Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 01:15 PM   #1  

Default 12 Week Challenge -- Week 2 -- Dec 17 - 23

GOOD MORNING CHALLENGETTES AND WELCOME TO -- WEEK 2 --

OK -- So we survived Week One, and have the week before Xmas now to deal with. I'm wondering how ya'll feel you did.

I had way too many BLT's and 'little' noches over the past week, and even with the exercise I've been doing, my feeling is that scale may not be a pretty site for me tomorrow.

We all know how tough it is enjoy and contribute to this season - without indulging at least a "bit" in the "generous" nature of entertaining, and dining both in and out. So, I'm wondering, what can we change? What can we vary a bit without totally depriving ourselves?

For me, I know I can "watch it", but quite often it's just not enough and not realistic considering the season. So I want for this week to slightly up the ante regarding EXERCISE to perhaps get my metabolism up a bit and burn a few more of those calories I'm putting into my mouth.

What would work for you? Is increasing exercise an option? If not, what other tool can you use this week? I'm looking for as many ideas as possible... for sometimes I feel I limit myself in what I can do.

Also what's your key challenge or challenges this week?
Old 12-17-2001, 02:10 PM   #2  

Default Week 2 Challenge...

Patch - I, too, have been thinking of ways to up my "exercise." I am not fond of the cold weather here in Maine, so walking and swimming is unfortuanately out. So, I am contemplating joining a gym close to work (I'm an accountant) but haven't done it yet. I am not fond of them, but, I've never been a member at my "goal" weight as I am now. I am new to this message board, so I watched this "challenge" last week and found it to be very helpful. Last year at this time I wasn't even a WW member, but now I am and I am very excited about that! I have been trying to move more and not just sit down on the couch when I come home from work. My increase in "activity" just isn't quite enough, either. So, I've been concentrating on other ways to help get through this challenging time. I think my best way is to write exactly everything down (I'm sure you've heard that one a million times before! ) which is what I've been doing for 4 days now, and I have been right at where I should be at maintaining. I went out to eat Sat. night at my fiance's company party, and I actually did well and even had 2 glasses of wine. That's what I like so I didn't deprive myself. I skipped the lovely crusty bread with butter. I chose shrimp. I thought ahead of time (and looked at the restaurant's menu on the web) and did a little planning. I drank a lot of water, too. I've been to another party with munchies, etc., and I worked on keeping my hands "busy" by keeping water with me and I clutched my little purse thing in the other. I chose only the "munchies" I'd never had before. If it's something I've already had before, I don't bother with having it again. That way, I can leave room for new stuff (I get bored easily) or the food I absolutely have to sample! I imagine myself ahead of time when I've been to these functions: what will I be eating, saying, chosing for food. I practice self-talking to get me through these challenging times. I rehearse saying "no" to some of the foods I might not really be interested in. Also, to help me with this party, I kept imagining myself in my "party dress" and tried it on during the week a few times. You know how the pounds can creep up on ya! I think, plus mental rehearsing, plus positive self-talk are what got me on track last week and has actually kept me there, so far! Today is "food day" at work, and I have actually wrote down every "BLT" and I know that I have only about 4 points left, but, that's ok! I am not going to beat myself up over it, or I will surely quit and go way in the other direction! I will NOT let myself quit, no matter what! It took a lot for me to lose 52 pounds and keep it off, since 2/13/01. I actually look in the mirror and tell myself that (I know, that probably sounds a little weird).

I even break the day down into little "time periods" to get through, when I feel overwhelmed by everything I have to get done during this busy season. That helps.

Ok, so now that I've been going on and on, I hope this has been somewhat helpful. I like reading your responses and only hope you can be inspired in return!

I will be anxious to see what others offer for advice in the exercise department!

Hang in there! That goes for everyone!

Oh, my key challenge? To get through today's food day at work, and deal with getting the rest of my shopping done...
Old 12-17-2001, 03:53 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone

Patch: I'm not looking foward to seeing what the scale reflects on Wednesday either. I didn't do too badly with the Christmas party on Friday but the weekends just generally are a tough time for me with no real schedule so to speak.

I like the question you pose about, what can we vary a bit without depriving ourselves? At Friday's Christmas party I allowed myself to have a couple of pieces of cheese (one of my absolute redlight foods) and then I moved to shrimp cocktail. I also made it a point if I wanted to try something I had just a taste rather than a whole portion. DH and I split the cake that we had for dessert, I took the smaller, skinnier piece and had the same satisfaction as having a big piece plus I felt good about doing it that way.

Increasing exericise is a challenge for me because I enjoy walking outside and the weather here isn't cooperating as it's been raining. I try to move as much as possible throughout the day rather than sitting at my desk. I also use some of my WW tools--like positive self talk, telling myself I look good/feel good, mental rehearsing is also one of the tools I use quite frequently. Generally I know what's going to be available food wise and I mentally figure out what I'm going eat, etc. and last, anchoring is another tool I use. When I go out I carry my key ring in my pocket so when I put my hands in I feel it and it gives me a little more incentive to stay in control.

Challenges for the week aren't too bad--a couple of friends and I are going out for afternoon tea on Thursday and I have the menu so I can figure out the points. The weekend should be fairly tame for the most part. My biggest hurdle will be being off work from Friday through Wednesday--when I don't have to go to work and stay on a regular schedule I tend to give in to BLT's. So the plan is to plan, plan, plan
Old 12-17-2001, 06:55 PM   #4  

Sounds like we're all in the same boat--trying to figure out a stategy to get thru the holidays. Tomorrow will be a challenge for me. I'm going out to lunch and I don't have any control over the menu--chicken Keiv--I have planned ahead a little and decided to throw out half before I start eating. Also bringing fruit and vegis to work to munch on before lunch--other than that I'm not sure. Been OP for almost 3 full weeks now and have only used banked points once and I do have 10 from this week that I can utilize if need be. Did start out the week by exercising an extra 15 minutes this morning--that is my personnel challenge for week 2--walking a full hour before work instead of my usual 45 minutes--hope I continue to see a loss each week until the first of the year--that would be a REAL moral booster Don't have my numbers in front of me for the week but I have banked points everyday I'll let you know how tomorrow goes--then on Wed. we're having a potluck at work but I'm ok with that--I signed up to bring vegis and dip and I did buy fat-free for myself--everything else on the sign up sheet is stuff I can have anytime--so I shouldn't have trouble passing on it--but just in case I am planning on bringing some extra sensible point food items for myself--and knowing that Thursday is weigh in day should help keep me focused!!

Jo
Old 12-17-2001, 07:52 PM   #5  
Lifetimer

S/C/G: 183.6/173/140

I think I did fairly well this week. I consciously tried to eat low (although I wasn't entirely successful at that). But it is next week that will be the real challenge. I have a Christmas party Wednesday and then I promised my son that I would bake cookies and then there is Christmas eve and Christmas dinner, both of which are total feasts in my household. Hopefully I lost enough this week and will muster enough self control next week that the damage won't be that much. I still would like to lose next week but that might be a bit optimistic.
Old 12-18-2001, 08:02 AM   #6  

Hi everyone. Less than a week left of the madness then we can all relax!

I don't know how I did it but I managed to lose 3 lbs. between weigh-in Nov. 24th and yesterday, Dec. 17th. Those were no doubt the same three pounds that I gained in November. That positions me well for the upcoming weeks of over-indulgence, but I'm a bit worried.

You see, I have done absolutely nothing to deserve a loss. I've eaten more high-calorie foods in the last few weeks than I care to admit. I've had a nasty cold which has drained me of energy, so I haven't been out for a run in over a week. You can see the problem here - I'm doing everything wrong, and am getting weight loss as a reward! Perhaps it is the cold and the energy I've expended in coughing and blowing my nose???

Myra: I saw your numbers for last week. You're doing fine. It was a minor fluctuation - nothing more.

Jo: I hear ya. This week is filled with "functions" and I'll have no control over the menu either. The only control I will have is what I choose to put in my mouth. I hope my choices improve over last week!

Melissa: We're having our weather challenges too. Today was to be the day that I finally try a run (coughing all the way); it's currently snowing and that's supposed to change to rain by lunch time. I admire all of the techniques you use for staying in control around all of this extra food. My technique of late seems to be "oh what the heck, eat it and go for a run in the morning". Trouble is, the run never seems to happen.

Chris: Again, some great tips for planning ahead. Doesn't it feel good to look back and see how well you managed a potentially difficult situation?

Patch: Good question for this week - as usual. What can we vary without depriving ourselves? For me, the answer is quite simple. I really do prefer healthy food if it's available. The trouble is that it generally takes more time to eat well and that's the one thing I don't seem to have much of these days. But you have made me think about it, and I'm sure I can do better than I have. That's my challenge for the week then - plan ahead to facilitate better choices.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 12-18-2001, 08:56 AM   #7  
Lifetimer

Great loss Seasaw. I'm hoping to join you Wed. morning. Except for one over day, I've done pretty good this week. I hope the scale shows that. I'll post my numbers after the WI.
Old 12-18-2001, 01:02 PM   #8  

Hi! It's actually snowing for real, no melting this time, here in Maine.

I really have enjoyed reading all of your posts thus far. It has been helping me to keep focused!

Seasaw - Sorry to hear how you're feeling. I'm sure it doesn't help matters any. Good luck and I'll be curious to see how you're doing with your planning ahead. Take care!

Myra - Good luck with tomorrow's WI!

Patch, Melissa, Grandma - Hope you all are hanging in there, too!

I did make it through yesterday's food day at work, but I kinda screwed up when I went home. We had a cookie swap (I made WW's Cranberry Kisses) and I came home with 31 yummy ones. I put them in the freezer. Well, I was doing ok until later when I watched a movie. I started for them (they were frozen) and ate a couple (well, like 4). But, I did stop myself (yahoo!) and I ended up eating popcorn. I did "choose to exceed my points" and that is ok since I am doing awesome today! What stopped me was my realizing and facing head on this urge to eat the frozen cookies. I said out loud (no kidding), "What the HECK are you doing? Stop it! WHY are you doing this?" and I realized I was stressed about getting my shopping done, bills, etc. Plus, I stopped to think about my dress I am wearing to our New Year's Eve Party at my house. There are people (who came last year and don't know I joined WW's) who have no idea that a Backstreet Boy jumped out of my body. I pictured people saying how great I looked in my new purple sparkly dress, and the feeling of being proud. So, that made me stop. I am back in control!

Have an awesome day!!
Old 12-18-2001, 01:07 PM   #9  

Congrats on your loss Seasaw and to do it over the holidays. My guess is you did better than you think you did. Sometimes I find when I have not exercised for a week or two the body actually losses weight. Go figure! So enjoy the loss!

Myra your numbers for last week were great - so I'm sure you'll have a good day at the scales.

I actually did get to go yesterday and gasp! posted a .4 loss gotta tell ya... I feel the same as Seasaw, that I truly did not deserve it after my non stop food fest this past week and weekend. The only saving grace is that I've gotten out a couple of days to racewalk.

Melissa, Jo and Chris you guys all rock for planning ahead. Way too many dinners and lunches this week and through this weekend. But I'm going to keep ya'll in mind when I go away this weekend to Big Bear (mountains east of Los Angeles).

Jo I thought of you at the track last night. I almost did not go, but I thought - 'I will regret this if I don't'. And Melissa I like the idea of spitting meals and desserts, I've been doing that more and more. Chris congrats on successfully getting through "food day". Mental rehearsing, tracking , and positive self talk are great tools.
Old 12-18-2001, 01:21 PM   #10  
Lifetimer

I'm so happy for you Patch. Sometimes the food gods smile on us when we least expect it. I'm sure you actually did better than you thought you did. We are all more mindful as far as what we eat than we were in the past.
Old 12-18-2001, 05:29 PM   #11  

Thanks Myra - we're all rootin' for you on your weigh-in.

Daily points so far...

M --- 22 (bnkd 3, acty 6)
T --- 23 (bnkd 2 = 5 B and 6 A)
W -- 29 - 2 = 27 (ernd 1 act = 3 B and 7 A)
Th --
F --- going away this eve skiing
Sa -- may not be able to post til next week
Su -- ditto

Last edited by patch30; 12-20-2001 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-19-2001, 12:35 PM   #12  

Angry

Hello, everyone! Hope all is well.

I wanted to share the fact that I actually went for a walk at lunch today and now I am somewhat motivated to "move more and sit less." I am not one to engage in outdoor activity when it gets cold here in Maine. So, I have been not doing so well this fall. I was not on WW last year at this time. I even stopped doing my yoga early early in the a.m.. Well, I needed to get stamps at the PO and I saw the sun shining (we had a storm yesterday, about 5" of snow) so, I decided to walk instead of drive. I feel great!
I have started an exercise challenge for myself, without even trying. Maybe it'll help with my motivation to stay as close to OP as I can!

Have a great one!
Old 12-19-2001, 12:57 PM   #13  
Lifetimer

Just got back from trying to go to my WW meeting. Because of a Christmas party tonight I decided to go to Monroe this morning instead of Greenwood Lake tonight. I got to Monroe -- over 20 minutes away -- and found out the meeting was canceled. I can't believe it! Not only was I looking forward to a favorable reading from the scale -- according to my home scale I lost about 3 lbs. -- but needed the motivation to get through next week and had to buy some 2 pt. bars so I can munch of them instead of Christmas cookies. That's life, especially my life, I guess. At least I have you guys. You are not going to disappear on me too, are you?

Anyway here are my numbers:

Thurs 24
Fri 28
Sat 23
Sun 24.5
Mon 23.5
Tue 23
Wed ? but will be over probably after the Christmas party

Range: 20-25
Old 12-19-2001, 01:21 PM   #14  

Myra - Ugh, I can't believe it was canceled this a.m. Seems like we were all waiting for your WI... hang in there, ok?
Old 12-19-2001, 03:25 PM   #15  

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone! Seems like everyone is really focusing on staying OP. I actually seem to do better when I have a challenge to stay within points...kind of like a game that you want to win.

Seasaw: Congrats on the loss! Way to go!

Adelweiss: Congrats on not eating more cookies. Sometimes it's so easy to munch without even thinking. Keep that image of the dress!

Patch: A loss is a loss in my book! Good for you!

Myra: Hang in there! I would've been equally disappointed if I had gone all that way to a meeting only to find it was canceled.

Here are my numbers for this past week:

Thurs: 23
Fri: 26
Sat: 20
Sun:24
Mon: 18
Tues: 19
Wed: ??

Weigh in: 144.0 - down .2

I cannot gain as 144 is the top of my goal range so I need to focus on making good choices. Flip side is that I'm off working Friday-Wednesday and it's a challenge for me to not graze so my goal is to make sure I eat regular meals and stay out of the kitchen.
Closed Thread