Veggie Challenged - vegie-phobic

View Full Version : vegie-phobic

Meredith01
07-11-2007, 11:50 PM
I need some serious help. I have a real phobia of vegetables. I'm pretty sure it's mental but nontheless I need help. I cannot eat veggies. I never have been able to. I think it's the texture of them that I can't stand. I used to not be able to eat any "veiny" fruits like watermelon or papaya, but I am eating those now. I still cannot eat any vegetable. No salads, onions, peas, green beans...nothing. I think it all started when I was a child. I remember when I was little I had a stomach virus of some sorts and my parents made me eat broccoli that night and the smell of it cooking was already making me sick but when i actually put it in my mouth I had to run to the bathroom to throw up. Ever since then my parents felt bad about making me eat vegetables and every time I put one in my mouth I would pretend to be sick and go to the bathroom and make myself throw up so I wouldn't have to eat it (horrible, I know) my parents aren't big veggies eaters thankfully, so I wasn't making myself sick every night but still...that was terrible. There are also a few vegetables my mother doesn't like and I remember at the dinner table for example, if she made peas that night she would take a spoonful and swallow them as if they were tylenol and make a horrible face afterwords. As an observing child I thought that my mother was the smartest woman in the whole world and if she didn't like peas then I sure wasn't going to eat them!
You can definately forget about eating salads! My parents and older siblings used to joke about there being bugs in the vegetables because they came from the ground and that's where all of the bugs live. Now as an adult, I know that there's not going to be bugs in the cobb salad at chili's, but I still remember as a child the crunch of the salad and the idea of the crunch being the shell of a roach (if that makes any sense).

Now....I have tried to make myself eat salads and vegetables for a month straight I ate either a salad or vegetables every day (which is a lot for me) but I always became sick to my stomach after a few bites. For example when sitting down to eat a salad it would take me about two hours to finish a side salad because in between bites I am trying to focus on not throwing it all up. I've thought about the possibilities of me being allergic to vegetales or maybe being intollerant to them BUT I can and do drink V8 in small amounts. But there's only a certain amount of V8 one person can take in a day and I would really like to be able to eat veggies like a normal person.

I really want to get over this unhealthy lifestyle but I need some serious help. I've thought about seeing some type of psychologist about it but I don't know if they can help me. It's really embarrasing at dinner when everyone else gets a salad to start out with and I'm eating bread or nothing, and at thanksgiving when everyone has greenbean casserole on their plates and I have turkey and mashed potatoes and that's it.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! Any advice you can give me will be helpful! I've tried roasting, dicing, disguising...all of that! nothing seems to work.

-M

SoulBliss
07-11-2007, 11:58 PM
I am sorry you have this issue. I would see a psychologist about this if I were you, as it seems you have a very extreme reaction-I think it's great you are considering that as an option and applaud your honesty about your severe aversion! :hug:

Meredith01
07-12-2007, 12:10 AM
thanks for the support!

Suzanne 3FC
07-12-2007, 12:31 AM
Do you ever eat foods with tiny bits of veggies in them? I know it's not exactly diet food, lol, but think of carrot cake, or zucchini bread. Oh zucchini bread is heavenly! You can't detect the texture of vegetables in it at all. Maybe if you find some healthy versions of foods like those, then it might ease you into it just a little. Cooking Light (www.cookinglight.com) has a few good recipes that aren't bad for you. I'm thinking it might convince that part of your mind that veggies aren't so bad after all. Maybe even buy a cookbook such as the Sneaky Chef, which is intended for kids, but good for hiding veggies in other foods.

I think I understand a little of where you are coming from. I ate a hamburger at a family reunion when I was 6 years old, and bit into something hard. I gagged and threw up all over the table. I couldn't eat another hamburger until I was 44 years old. Then I went vegetarian :p

I do think talking to a professional might be helpful, since you feel that this is more than just an ordinary dislike of a food. Your long term health is at stake. Vegetables contain many nutrients, including valuable antioxidants, which can help reduce your chances of cancer and other diseases.

Good luck :)

Meredith01
07-12-2007, 02:08 AM
I can eat things like the premade lasagna's if the onions are teeny teeny tiny but those lasagnas aren't good for you anyway. as far as other meals, unfortunately over the years I have been very good at detecting small veggies and I am nearly professional at picking them out (again publicly embarrasing) If I know that the veggie is on the fork it ruins the bite and sometimes the entire meal. It sounds so childish...and it is, but I can't help it. You are comletely right about needing veggies to fight cancer and other diseases..that's why I'm trying to get all the help I can to overcome this fear. In the past, I puree'd (sp?) some tomatoes and put them in spagetti, I didn't like it very much but it went down and stayed down, again I think the texture has something to do with my success rate. I like the idea of the sneak chef...i'll have to check that cookbook out. Thanks for taking the time to read my thread and responding! It means a lot to me!

-M

Meredith01
07-12-2007, 02:54 AM
after reading through some of the blogs about which veggies people like the most and the different ways to cook them, I have decided to roast some squash for dinner tonight and possibly try brussell sprouts Friday. I'll keep you all posted! Thanks again to everyone for all of the support!

-M

LLV
07-12-2007, 10:51 AM
There are also a few vegetables my mother doesn't like and I remember at the dinner table for example, if she made peas that night she would take a spoonful and swallow them as if they were tylenol and make a horrible face afterwords. As an observing child I thought that my mother was the smartest woman in the whole world and if she didn't like peas then I sure wasn't going to eat them!
You can definately forget about eating salads! My parents and older siblings used to joke about there being bugs in the vegetables because they came from the ground and that's where all of the bugs live. Now as an adult, I know that there's not going to be bugs in the cobb salad at chili's, but I still remember as a child the crunch of the salad and the idea of the crunch being the shell of a roach (if that makes any sense).

Good grief, you've been traumatized! LOL

I know exactly what you mean about textures and certain foods triggering bad memories. For example, I used to love asparagus. It was one of my favorite veggies. Well, asparagus happened to be the last thing I ate right before I got MAJOR sick with a bad flu (tossing my cookies and everything) and I haven't been able to touch it since. I can't even look at it. In fact typing about it is making me feel ill. So I fully understand those little phobias.

Another example: I love broccoli. But one time while eating lasagna that someone else had prepared, I ran into something..... well, "odd" in the lasagna, a taste and a texture I wasn't expecting. She had put chopped broccoli in her lasagna and it totally grossed me out. To this day I'll eat broccoli on occasion (although I'm not as crazy about it as I used to be) but it has to be alone or in a Chinese stir-fry, I can't eat it mixed with anything. And heaven forbid anyone make broccoli along side an Italian meal. Gross! My boyfriend's mother made chicken parmesan and spaghetti recently and made broccoli the vegetable. Even though the broccoli was stand-alone (not mixed in with anything) I still couldn't eat it. It reminded me of the lasagna incident. I have to REALLY REALLY be in the mood to eat broccoli. There are times I'll even pick it out of stir-frys. So I've got a severe case of broccoli and asparagus issues :lol:

I see by your last post you're going to try a couple of veggies. Let us know how it went!

nelie
07-12-2007, 11:27 AM
I agree that you may need to see a psychologist to work out some of your issues.

I only really had one bad veggie memory and that was that my mom loves spinach. She told me she can eat it straight out of a can or just boiled to death. Well she used to cook spinach when I was young and I hated the smell of cooked spinach. It would make me gag. It took me years to eat spinach because I always thought the smell would make me gag. I started by eating fresh spinach and then I was able to eat foods with spinach mixed in and now I'm even able to eat cooked spinach by itself. I won't say spinach is my favorite cooked veggie but it is doable. I like other greens much more and I'm not sure if it is still something mental or not.

I also was not much of a veggie eater for many years but I started increasing my veggies slowly by eating things I know I liked. I would eat grape tomatoes and carrots which are very fruit like to me. Now I love veggies and couldn't imagine not eating a meal without them. Tomatoes are still my favorite but I eat a lot of veggies when I wasn't eating very many when I was younger or they had to be drenched in cheese.

LLV
07-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Tomatoes are still my favorite but I eat a lot of veggies when I wasn't eating very many when I was younger or they had to be drenched in cheese.

Oh my love for tomatoes runs very deep! I grow my own every year and I'm currently waiting for them all to ripen. Although yesterday I pulled a green one off and "fried" it in nonfat cooking spray with a light dusting of seasoned bread crumbs and put them on a sandwich.

nelie
07-12-2007, 12:38 PM
LLV,
My cherry tomato plants are going crazy right now... I have fresh tomatoes almost every day :)

Meredith01
07-12-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm glad to see that I am not the only one that has had issues with vegetables. I wish I only had issues with one or two veggies not all of them. But I think that talking about it and understanding my fears will help me deal with it more and possibly overcome my problems. Thanks again to everyone who has posted!
-M

kaplods
07-12-2007, 01:19 PM
There may be a critical period for learning to eat a variety of foods. I remember in college we learned that rats and many other mammals that were given a wide range of foods during their lifetimes, fed their young a variety of food. Rats raised on a limited number of foods, would only bring their young those foods when presented with a variety of foods. Also rats that were given only a limited range of foods as youngsters, never learned to try new foods unless it was the only food option open to them. The theory presented was that this is an inate mechanism to prevent poisoning. We have to learn from our parents what is safe to eat by what they eat themselves and what they give us. If the food choice is limited, we become extremely picky eaters for the rest of our lives.

In human terms, I've seen and heard of cases where neglected children were only given a few items to eat (such as milk, peanut butter, and bread), and it would take months, if not years to get them to eat anything else. One little girl, left in a crib all of the time and fed only bread until she was rescued at age 4. It took months to get her to eat anything other than bread (and she stopped every three feet while walking - which is how they realized that she had never left the crib as this was how long the crib was).

This is what frustrates me about parents accepting kids pickiness. My sister-in-law once took a baby carrot out of her three year olds hands as he was about to dunk it in dip. "You don't like carrots," she said to him. I was horrified, and told her so. She justified it, by saying he would just spit it out, wasting it and making a mess. I tried to tell her that she should keep offering the kids healthy foods, even if they wouldn't eat them, and the kids should see her and my brother eating healthy foods. Unfortunately, they don't like vegetables either, so they're not very good role models.

It seems to be very difficult to unlearn food prejudices and preferences, but it can be done. A psychologist is a wonderful idea, especially one trained in cognitive behavioral therapy, and possibly even hypnosis, because you're going to need a lot of help. A dietician would be another professional that may be able to help. You're working against mental and physical patterns that have become ingrained.

phantastica
07-12-2007, 01:30 PM
I think it's a known psychological phenomenon and they call it a taste aversion. Here's a wikipedia entry on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taste_aversion

I have one to taco salad. My sister has one to bacon. I'm not sure how to handle an aversion to a full spectrum of foods, like all vegetables.

I bet a psychologist would be able to help, as most of them are probably familiar with classical conditioning.

Best of luck, and keep us posted!

Edit: Oh, and Colleen, I always love hearing your two cents on these things. I totally agree with there being a critical time in a child's life where they need to be exposed to a variety of foods. And yes, dumb action to take a carrot from a kid and tell them they don't like it. Whaaa??

kaplods
07-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Thanks Phantastica, my friends tease me that I'm a walking encyclopedia. I tell them I'm just a trivia queen, and if the information is nearly useless to me, I will remember it forever.

LLV
07-12-2007, 02:23 PM
LLV,
My cherry tomato plants are going crazy right now... I have fresh tomatoes almost every day :)

I can't wait for mine! One of my favorite things to have for lunch is a big juicy tomato stuffed with tuna salad :)

I'm glad to see that I am not the only one that has had issues with vegetables. I wish I only had issues with one or two veggies not all of them. But I think that talking about it and understanding my fears will help me deal with it more and possibly overcome my problems. Thanks again to everyone who has posted!
-M

I agree, talking about it may help. I think just maybe taking things slow, a little at a time, eating different vegetables to see if you can tolerate them.

My boyfriend can't eat strawberries. It's not that he doesn't like them, he just can't stand the texture. The texture of a strawberry in his mouth will make him puke. That too relates back to something that happened in his childhood.

I'm kind of glad for this thread, especially the stories everyone is telling about kids and healthy foods, because it's definitely telling me what NOT to do with my son. Not that I'd ever yank a carrot away from him and tell him he doesn't like it, but I HAVE, in the past, when he asked for a particular food, said, "What do you want that for? You won't eat it anyway."

Bad bad bad.

But my son has texture issues as well. If he gets a weird texture in his mouth with something within a meal he's eating, he'll stop and push the entire meal away. He won't eat anymore of it. So when I told him those things, it's because I KNEW that he'd gag over the food he was eyeballing and then wouldn't eat the rest of the meal at all. However, I always let him try what he wants to try and now if it ends up he won't eat the rest of the meal, oh well.

Like one time we went to a Chinese restaurant. He had a nice plate of different items. He got one piece of gristly chicken in his mouth, spit it out, and pushed the plate away, he wouldn't touch anything else the rest of the time we were there. So it's sometimes a matter of knowing your children's habits.

Meredith01
07-13-2007, 01:13 AM
I totally agree with you Colleen...and I can also relate to your story...not just with food but also activities that my parents didn't want to do for example the first time I ever rode a roller coaster was when I was 17 and I was terrified! I grew up in Tampa so we had Busch Gardens and Orlando nearby but my parents don't like roller coasters so they told us they were dangerous. I know everyone might be thinking that my parents are completely evil by now, but they aren't...they just have a few issues. Anyway, I went with a group of friends against my parent's advice and was scarred to death!!!! The whole day I was the "purse holder" I stood at the coaster's exit and held everyone's purses because I was too afraid to ride. Since then I have ridden a few, but I still don't enjoy roller coasters, I'll go if a bunch of friends are going but it's still not on the top of my list of things to do for fun.
I can even see my parents food pickiness when they interact with my neices and nephew. My sister will blend carrots and chicken and cellery for her 10month old son and my parents will make a face and say "that's not going to taste good to him" HE'S 10MONTHS OLD!!!!!! HE DOESNT HAVE A TASTE PREFERENCE YET!!!!

Anyway......not to ramble on but....I did try squash tonight. It was pretty gross. I must have cooked it wrong or something.
I sliced it into "chips" and sprinkled salt and pepper on them and roasted them in the oven on 300 for prob about 15 min. I wasn't sure on the time or temp to cook them so I just kept checking them. When I decided they looked as good as they were going to look, I took them out of the oven and they were really slimy on the bottom. and firm but not crispy when I bit into it. the taste wasn't terrible, just the texture. I'll have to look up some more recipes for them or maybe try squash when I go out to eat. I was going to try brussell sprouts tomorrow but I may change to peas.
Thanks again for everyone's input! It really means a lot to me.

-M

SoulBliss
07-13-2007, 06:30 AM
Anyway......not to ramble on but....I did try squash tonight. It was pretty gross. I must have cooked it wrong or something.
I sliced it into "chips" and sprinkled salt and pepper on them and roasted them in the oven on 300 for prob about 15 min. I wasn't sure on the time or temp to cook them so I just kept checking them. When I decided they looked as good as they were going to look, I took them out of the oven and they were really slimy on the bottom. and firm but not crispy when I bit into it. the taste wasn't terrible, just the texture. I'll have to look up some more recipes for them or maybe try squash when I go out to eat. I was going to try brussell sprouts tomorrow but I may change to peas.
Thanks again for everyone's input! It really means a lot to me.

-M

I think part of your problem lies in the fact that you aren't sure how to cook the vegetables properly and then they aren't as tasty as they could be! Please look up recipes and follow them carefully (in the case of the squash, turning them and cooking longer would have made them better, in my opinion, as well as seasoning them). Check out the thread here about "tried and true" recipes for those who don't like veggies.

Brussels sprouts are the lima bean of the vegetable world. If you have issues with strong flavors, aromas and textures I advise that you try another vegetable!

phantastica
07-13-2007, 08:43 AM
I might start with steamed or boiled carrots or green beans. You can add salt and pepper, or a small amount of butter if it'll help you enjoy them more. I eat mine with lemon juice and pepper on them. Yum!

Do you like corn on the cob?

Meredith01
07-13-2007, 10:53 AM
I don't like corn on the cob and grean beans are probably the last thing I would try to me they are probably the grossest veggie along with broccoli. I might try carrots instead. I've tried them raw several times and never got the hang of it but maybe i'll try them steamed.
And....as soulbliss pointed out I am not sure how to cook them. Cooking is not one of my mother's strong points. She burns almost everything.....now before I start getting hate mail...I can back that up....she burns hamburger helper!!!!!
:)

LLV
07-13-2007, 11:04 AM
I don't like corn on the cob and grean beans are probably the last thing I would try to me they are probably the grossest veggie along with broccoli. I might try carrots instead. I've tried them raw several times and never got the hang of it but maybe i'll try them steamed.
And....as soulbliss pointed out I am not sure how to cook them. Cooking is not one of my mother's strong points. She burns almost everything.....now before I start getting hate mail...I can back that up....she burns hamburger helper!!!!!
:)

LOL

I love to cook but I'm a terrible baker. I can mess up a package of slice and bake cookies :lol:

Dea
07-13-2007, 03:43 PM
I am glad to hear there are others out there who dislike veggies as much as me. I honestly thought I was the only one!!
since trying to lose weight...and coming to the realization that I need to start eating more healthy, I have made a definate effort to try to eat some veggies. I made myself a salad for the first time ever just a couple of months ago. It was just lettuce and shredded carrots with some manderine dressing, but it wasn't so bad. There are other veggies that I have tried, and I do find that method of cooking makes a huge difference in taste and texture.
I really don't have any great advice...I am in need of some, more than I can give any....but I have learned one trick.
My mother-in-law makes great veggie soup....mostly just whatever we have in the fridge (actually, I think it is the Weight Watchers recipe), and while I can't eat it with all of the chuncks of veggies, I blend mine into a creamy soup...and it really is good. She will make a big pot for dinner one night, and then have soup for a couple of days.

Meredith01
07-15-2007, 11:52 AM
soooooo...........I haven't tried any new veggies. I'm not giving up on it though. I haven't been to the store, and I haven't been alone at a meal to try them anyway. None of my friends understand my problem and if I start gagging with a mouth full of peas then they are going to think I'm crazy. I wonder if I went to a psychiatrist, if they would give me some type of anti-anxiety medication temporarily just so I can get used to the texture.

Loriannc
07-17-2007, 07:27 AM
I can so-o-o-o relate... the only green vegetables I'll eat cooked are green peppers and green onions... I grew up in a sterotypical Boston-Irish-Roman Catholic household, where corned beef and cabbage was the norm. To this day, I can't handle cooked cabbage... I can eat it raw, in a salad or slaw, but never cooked. Same with spinach... can't even get past the SMELL of it cooked, but can eat raw baby spinach in a salad. Peas, brussel sprouts, asparagus, broccoli and green beans... oh so NOT happening... but I compensate by eating a lot of salads with green vegetables I can tolerate. I love carrots either cooked or raw, and cooked parsnips aren't bad either. I'm funny about the texture of tomatoes... I'll eat them in a sandwich or a wrap, but to eat them in a salad... nope, not happening. I tried a little bit of squash this weekend with a little dab of butter and splenda brown sugar, and it wasn't bad that way. Try things a few different ways before you give up on them completely... you might be able to find a way you can tolerate those veggies!

sarah44
07-17-2007, 08:01 AM
I blend mine into a creamy soup...and it really is good.

I was going to suggest trying some blended soups - it would solve the texture problem while you were getting used to the flavor. I'd recommend starting with soups that have strong seasonings, to balance out the vegetable taste. Maybe try a carrot ginger soup? For the summer you could try a blended gazpacho - it will taste somewhat like V8 juice (but better, I think). If you can find a recipe that you like, I'd just stick with that one for a while - getting used to buying and chopping the vegetables, and not trying to introduce too many different flavors/textures at once.

I do think a psychologist would help - they would probably have good advice how to start slowly and how to adjust your thinking - so that you could approach the vegetable experiments as fun rather than unpleasant...

Brussels sprouts are the lima bean of the vegetable world.

I laughed out loud at this - it's so true! I do love brussel sprouts, but I wouldn't recommend them as initial foray into vegetables. If the reference to lima beans isn't clear, "brussel sprouts are the liver of the vegetable world" would also work as an analogy - some people love liver, but it's not everyone's favorite...

kaplods
07-20-2007, 04:19 AM
I always hated plain cooked carrots as a kid, because my mom usually made them from a can (there aren't too many veggies that I'm fond of canned). Raw carrots were ok, but I absolutely LOVED carrots or nearly any vegetable cooked with a beef roast. Seasoning is key, though as if the cooking liquid isn't highly seasoned (beef broth, bouillon or dry soup mix) the veggies and the roast are blah.

Loriannc
07-20-2007, 07:19 AM
Carrots are good cooked in orange juice and ginger... gives them a nice zing!!

femmecreole
07-20-2007, 08:00 PM
I ran across this thread and found it very interesting.
My youngest son will not eat a vegetable to save his soul, with the exception of an occasional raw carrot. If he is at someone's house for dinner and they serve him a salad, he will pick the lettuce out and eat a bit of that..oh and when he was younger, occasionally he would eat the parsley on a plate that was garnish!

He loved vegetables and would eat anything till he was about 2.5 years old. In fact his favorite food was broccoli. He would beg for "more trees". Then he got an ear infection..not major and when he recovered from that refused to eat anything but meat and fruit.(no seafood whatsoever) He will not eat any kind of pasta or potatoes..maybe a few fries, but that's it. Anything with a cream sauce gagged him just to see it. (I'll never forget the time he hurled in a restaurant when someone at another table had chowder!) He says the taste and smell is revolting to him. But, he does eat oatmeal, which is mushy!

We have always eaten a variety of vegetables and my other 2 kids love them. We never hinted that vegetables were gross and (not bragging, just fact) I'm a really good cook. His friends come over and tell him he is nuts not to eat the non-meat stuff I cook. (he loves to eat my roast or chicken, steaks etc) I was really concerned about his refusal to eat vegetables when he was little. I never forced him to eat anything as I didn't want to make food an issue.I think meal time should be enjoyable and not a battle. The doctor told me to just not worry about it, that he was healthy and would grow out of that "phase". He is now 20 and it is still a pain to deal with food-wise for meal planning. He is the only one of my kids still living at home. If my husband and I want to have fish or some other seafood, I have to make sure we either have some leftover meat or chicken..or I plan seafood on the nights that he is out with friends. Other than the food issue (which over the years I've gotten used to), he is a great person and has never given me a second of trouble..all A's in school, college scholorships etc. Now, to top it off, he has a new girlfriend, who is adorable, smart and a joy to be around...and she only eats the same stuff he does! They are both tall and skinny as rails.

luja
07-21-2007, 03:37 PM
I read through the thread and have a couple of ideas that work - juice vegetables with fruit or puree vegetables and hide them in things like spaghetti sauce - totally deals with the texture thing because they are liquid! Also - have your tried eating veggies raw? Cooked vegetables, especially poorly cooked veggies ARE gross. A nice crisp sweet pea pod may be more palatable!

elmuyloco5
07-23-2007, 09:57 PM
X

blondebritbrat17
07-26-2007, 07:17 PM
I understand your problem. I have serious issues too about veggies and the smells and the texture. I've really learned to love salads though and that is my saving grace. I eat spinach, romaine lettuce and broccoli shredded in my salads and I am experimenting with other veggies as well thrown in. I also chop my veggies very finely and shred them very finely. Growing up my mom always boiled veggies or did something gross to them to where the smell was just unbelievable or she fried them which just took out all the nutrients of the veggies and she still does it to this day. I really do get sick to my stomach just from the smell still. I'd just recommend experimenting and taking a multivitamin. If you think you need to see a psychologist then by all means do so.

Nexus6
07-28-2008, 03:28 PM
OMG this is SO ME! I can't stand veggies...their texture is horrible...the only veggie I eat is Potato, and I don't really consider that a veggie at all. But I can also detect tiny hidden veggies and will stop eating whatever I find them in. And as for sneaking food in, a la The Sneaky Chef/Deceptively Delicious, the amount of veggies is so small, I can't see getting the full nutritional value of veggies from those recipes, let alone sneak in the 2-4 cups a day one is supposed to eat for a "healthy diet." Isn't there a healthy diet out there that DOESN'T focus solely on eating one's vegetables?

Schmoodle
07-28-2008, 04:21 PM
I think there's definitely a psychological component here because the texture of veggies is so varied, if you don't like the texture of say, cooked peas, that is totally different than raw carrots, crispy and crunchy, or pureed turnip, which is smooth and creamy. It's great you're working on this by trying different veggies, and I wish you luck. Just keep trying, even if you try 50 different things and only find 3 or 4 that you like, you're better off than now! Try boiling, steaming, sauteeing, roasting, grilling, microwaving. Maybe walk through a farmer's market and pick something you've never had before that looks appealing.

I have never had a problem with not liking veggies, but when I started my plan, I did have a problem with eating the required 4.5 cups of veggies/day. Now I have no problem and regularly eat 5 or 6 cups/day, it's become a habit!

What kind of flavors do you like? Sweet, tangy, sweet and sour, cheesy, creamy, nutty, asian, citrus, hot and spicy, smoky? I'm sure we can make some specific suggestions.

FairyVickie
07-29-2008, 12:35 AM
I can commisserate with you. I understand food trauma completely, although for me it is not veggies it is soft boiled eggs.

I had no weight issues as a kid, I slightly underweight even. My mother made soft boiled eggs one morning, and wanted me to eat them. I was not going for that, I would rather have had a bowl of Trix or toast. She was a bit of a food ****, unfortunately and after sitting there and not touching them for x amount of time, she decided to take the matter in hand herself.

She took the spoon, yelled 'open' , shoved it into my mouth and said 'swallow'. Well, gang, I am sure you more or less know where this story is going.
I barely made it to the living room and then..........yep, never made it to the bathroom !! ( I am trying to make this story as little graphic as possible !! )

I hate the sight, smell and taste of eggs to this day and this story is about 43years old.
I think perhaps professional help for you maybe effective, since you have a problem with all veggies.
I wish you the best of luck, they provide so much good nutrition and fiber I would hate for you to lose out on nutrients.

:hug:

lizziep
07-29-2008, 02:25 AM
I was just discussing this with my husband the other day. i really think that my pickiness to foods in general comes from hearing constantly "you wouldn't like that" from my parents who either- didn't want to buy whatever "it" was or honestly didn't want to go to the trouble of preparing something for me that i'd whine about anyway. when i was little there were like 5 items i was willing to eat.

i am just now branching out into items of the unknown. there are a lot of fruits and veggies that i can't stand. and other things too like cottage cheese, watermelon, and creamed corn- just from a texture standpoint i cannot stomach. and anything i've ever thrown up is out of the question - so no ramen noodles, snickers, or corn dogs (this is probably a good thing).

veggies are hard - because i think a lot of it comes down to how you grew up. i hated veggies as a kid, they were gross because they all came from a can. frozen and fresh is so much better. grilling and roasting seems to bring out the most flavors. if i can't do that- i toss it in a wok. and flavoring - like garlic, or even some salt and pepper, sometimes a toss of olive oil or even tiny bit of butter can make a difference to me.

there are still things i'm picky about- i'll eat a tomato or cucumber but only if the seeds are scooped out. i still hate carrots and red peppers. i think the key is to keep trying. once in a while i'll taste something i've always hated just to see if i still hate it. sometimes i surprise myself.

and please- don't start out with Brussels sprouts! :)

AntiVeg
10-04-2008, 08:10 PM
God, Meredith, you and I could be relatives. And I also feel a lot better seeing this thread....because I am so socially embarrassed by my own picky eating.

Trouble is, for me, except for apples and apple sauce, I don't like ANY fruits, either. I will drink juices like V8 fusion (I like the berry pomegranite one).

But the veggie thing is VERY familiar. If you put it on my plate w/o completely adulterating it into something unrecognizable as a veggie, (Raw, for example, or even cooked but alone) I won't eat it. They literally make me gag. And the funny thing is that I don't remember any experience growing up that made it happen. My mom says when I was a baby I loved carrots and all sorts of veggies and fruits. But I never remember liking them or eating them.
I eat things w/ veggies in them...such as pizza (tomato sauce only, though, not the ones on top!) or spaghetti w/ a marinara sauce, but if it is too chunky I can't stand it. I do eat a lot of veggies in soups...pretty much when they are mushy and don't taste like veggies anymore (because, for example, they taste like chicken or beef broth they are soaking in!).

I have tried everything...and it is funny that you mention having to be alone to experiment. I do, too. There's something about everyone watching me, hoping I will finally change into someone who isn't a pain in the *** to go to dinner with!!! I don't know. I've got this weird thing about eating around my family because they all desperately want me not to be this picky eater and I hate letting them down. I feel really self conscious at parties and stuff because I feel like everyone is watching what I put on my plate...and that they are looking down on me for not liking a wide variety of healthy foods.

So, yeah, some counseling would be nice but I don't think there's anyone out there that can cure this taste aversion thing. I will keep watching this thread though to see if any good hints that I haven't already tried pop up.

One time I boiled all these disgusting veggies...broccoli, cauliflower, etc w/ stuff I DO like...like potatoes and carrots (again, they have to be cooked!) and I put all kind of spices I like and herbs and then I pureed it. It was pretty decent, but I still find that I can't get too jazzed about going thru all that just to get enough veggies.

InnerChild
10-05-2008, 12:51 PM
If the texture of veggies is what puts you off most then perhaps you could use an immersion blender to puree them so they are smooth, or perhaps you could even buy jars of vegetable baby food so insure you get them. What do you think?

Another thing.....you could make a large vegetable soup and then puree it so that you can sip on it, you know, kind of like tomato soup, only utilizing a larger variety of veggies at one time.

My immersion blender is my best friend. You should try one out.

kamesennin
10-17-2008, 01:42 AM
Hey have you guys heard of this show? It is called Freaky Eaters and it is about eating disorders. Most of the people they feature on the show can't eat fruit or vegetables and they get help to improve their diets. Maybe some of the tricks they use will help you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn2BOW8Iw9A

If that link doesn't work you can just search for "freaky eaters" on youtube.

PS I thought people with food aversions were just wussies before watching this show but wow, there really is a psychological component to it. I feel really bad now. :o

luvin2lose
10-31-2008, 07:31 PM
I also do not like veggies, but unlike most of you its not due to a childhood trauma...although it should be...LOL. Oh do I have stories.

The taste of most vegetables is very potent to me. Ok, so to you, what does iceburg lettuce taste like? Most people answer that with "nothing". To me on the other hand , it tastes like fresh cut grass smells...very musty and over powering to anything it is on or in. A taco bell taco can have one tiny shred of lettuce in it and I will taste it. I do like green beans and corn. I have tried asparagus in a sauce that was tolerable, but broccoli and califlower are totally unpalatable. Zucchini is tolerable with lots of butter, not so healthy when I'm on restricted calories...LOL. I actually worked with 2 people at one company that had the same taste issues with veggies.

I struggle with getting vegetables, I do like soup, but it doesn't satisfy my hunger especially without crackers. As I get older, some of the veggies don't have as strong a flavor but it is still a struggle to eat them.

I am so glad I am not the only one with veggie issues.