Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-11-2007, 10:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160.5/160.5/125

Height: 5'4"

Angry I don't get it!

I thought everything was in order.

I recently got a new job, and for about 2 months have been on a rigid schedule of 40 hours a week of work, and cardio 3-5 days a week for about an hour every time. Although my job doesn't involve any physical activity (call centre) I barely eat while I'm there all day. And by barely, I mean carrot sticks and a fat free turkey sandwich over the course of 8 hours. I only drink water (8 glasses a day), skim milk, and on occasion a Coke Zero.

So why, oh why, every time I look in the mirror do I feel like I haven't lost a pound? I have noticed an increase in my stamina and lower body strength since starting, but I just am not seeing the results I hoped for.

I've put on muscle, but lost no fat, as far as I can see. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Does anyone have any cardio suggestions that will burn fat more efficiently? Or maybe a gun so I can just end the suffering right now? (Kidding, kidding.)

Let me know, I could use some hints, tips and encouragement right now.
transatlanticism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I think you should eat a little more. Lots of people don't believe in the "starvation theory" but I do, because it matches my own experiences. If you really were in a famine situation, what would you want your body to do? Why be suprised when it actually does it?
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:38 PM   #3  
We can do it.

S/C/G: 160/127/120

I agree with Glory as I to believe in the starvation mode because of personal experience. Is there any way you can squeeze a few more snacks in? What exactly are you eating in a day? You should try to get at least a min.1200 cals in a day.
need2loseinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:35 AM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by transatlanticism View Post
So why, oh why, every time I look in the mirror do I feel like I haven't lost a pound? I have noticed an increase in my stamina and lower body strength since starting, but I just am not seeing the results I hoped for.
Have you actually weighed yourself or are you trying to judge your weight by looking in the mirror? Because the latter method doesn't work. We all have a mental image of ourselves that screws up how we see ourselves. I've lost over 30 pounds and yet, when I look at my thighs and my stomach, I swear it doesn't look like they've changed AT ALL. Yet, I know they have. I weigh 30 lbs less and I know some of that came from my stomach and thighs. I've measured and they are definitely smaller (9 inches smaller for my hips, 6 inches smaller for my waist) even if they don't look smaller to me. If you haven't already, invest in both a scale and a measuring tape.

Also, I agree with the others, you aren't eating enough and it's probably slowing down your metabolism.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:11 AM   #5  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

I have noticed that, to my chagrin, I am unable to lose weight in any specific area that I'd like to! I just generally shrink inwards, so when I look in the mirror I don't really look much different because my proportions are the same. Invest in a measuring tape. Seeing differences in inches is sometimes more rewarding than seeing the number on the scale go down, since our weight can be affected by so many other factors (salt intake, timing of your cycle, etc.).

Hope that helps!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:08 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey there! No, no guns! Wrong move!

Tell us more about what you eat in a day, typically. You must eat more than carrot sticks and fat-free turkey. List your daily menu--maybe we can give you some ideas from seeing that.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Yeah, you need to eat more.

BTW- Transatlanticism... is DCFC's best album and an all around favorite. I take it that's where you got your username from?
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:35 AM   #8  
Feeling better every day.

S/C/G: SW: 230 CW: 200 GW: 160ish

Height: 5'5"

I'd have to agree with everyone, you need to eat more. I know that sounds crazy (I'm trying to lose weight and ya'll want me to eat MORE??) But from my own experience, before I started trying to lose weight I ate no breakfast and no snacks til lunch which was usually a salad, no snacks til dinner and then I'd munch til I went to bed and I was 225 lbs! Now I eat breakfast, a snack before lunch, a small lunch, snack, small dinner and a snack before bed and I've lost 19 lbs in a little under a month. So I truely believe in the whole 'Body goes into starvation mode' if you don't eat enough. And even though I can't see a difference I know I must look a little different. Invest in a scale it's definately worth it!!
Piiper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:36 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

EAT MORE!!!!! You are not eating enough if that is it in a day. Drink lots of water....Good!!! Now then, I have to agree with others. The mirror lies!!! You must get a notebook and write down your beginning measurements (or in your case, the measurements where you are now) and then in a month, retake your measurements. You will be surprised to see them going down; even if it is half an inch here and there. And i like to measure in lots of places. I measure my neck, my upper arms, across my boobs, under my boobs, 3 places across my mid-section, my hips, my thighs, and my calves. When you lose just half an inch in all those places, you've lost at least 6 1/2 inches all over. Doesn't that sound good????? I know i like it. Also, i highly recommend taking a frontal picture (especially in a bathing suit) and a side picture and every ten pounds down, take another set. compare them. after awhile you won't beleive the changes in your body.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:18 PM   #10  

Like every one said, you need to take in more calories. Starvation mode is not going to help you lose weight. Keep up the healthy snacks, though, and the exercise...just compliment it with a healthy amount of calories. And remember, even if the numbers don't move quickly, NSV's are still pretty good, too!
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote