Support Groups - Christmas Hotties!

View Full Version : Christmas Hotties!

geneve
12-17-2001, 05:43 AM
Deck the halls, jingle those bells but ditch the pudding.
Here comes Santa...at least they haven't made him all skinny yet!

bc
12-17-2001, 11:34 AM
I couldn't find you at first! :?: But I got over it...... how creative. :D

it is a cold wet day today. Feels like the heat couldn't get warm enough, of course at the computer I am in front of windows and this is an old house. Oh well perhaps I will hop on the Precor to warm up. ;)

Geneve congrats on the loss!!!!!!!!! You are doing great!

Barb

SueMoo
12-17-2001, 02:07 PM
Just wanted to note, to any lurkers. We are all a group of women who recently had babies, trying to lose the weight - everyone is welcome to join us!!!

---------------------------------

Geneve! Congratulations!! 6 pounds - yahooooo! That is so great. What a great morning surprise - for your DH too (hee-hee, getting a little nudity in the morning...)

Barb, good for you, getting up and exercising!

Megan is still sick, poor baby. I'm taking her to the doctor this afternoon to have her tested for RSV - a serious respiratory illness that babies get. We just found out that her cousin Chloe (who is 1 month older) has it, & poor Chloe almost ended up in the hospital. Megan was around her recently. Hopefully she doesn't have it too.

How are you all doing on Christmas shopping? I still have most of it to do. Oh well. Haven't been doing to great on the exercise - I haven't done cardio in a week, but I did do my weight training. I've got to get back to the cardio. I've also been eating at the very top of my WW points range. I need to stop THAT too!

Well, better run. Hugs to you all,
Sue

249: Highest pregnancy weight
225: Date joined WW
205: Current
150: Goal

SueMoo
12-19-2001, 12:30 PM
Where is everyone?? Slow couple of days...

Not much happening here. Took Megan to the doctor, she doesn't have RSV, thank goodness. I've not been good at exercising, but have stayed OP pretty much, other than that. Today I have to bake Christmas cookies for a party - wish me luck with that - it is going to be HARD not to eat the cookie dough. I do o.k. passing up the baked cookies though. Sigh...

Well, hope you're all having a great day,
Sue

bc
12-19-2001, 02:00 PM
Just busy with the holidays and all the committments attached to them. Glad you are staying on point. This time of year that is quite impressive. :)

I am also glad Megan is fine. We for for a well baby checkup today. I think she is due for some shots but she has a cold and I think they don't give the shots if the kids aren't feeling well. Oh well I suppose I get to see that she has grown. ;)

I have been running around today. Dentist in the morning for one child and doctor in the afternoon. Just catching a few minutes of quiet time (spending it online, of course) between appointments.

I hope everyone is able to get their holiday "stuff" done. I am making many of my presents. In addition to soap I made some pillow cases for the boys and polarfleece socks.

Barb

Jen
12-19-2001, 02:50 PM
Hi all. The past few days have just been terrible, too many goodies and not enough exercise. Also yesterday my hubby had a review at work and was told he has 3 months to shape up or he is fired. What great news just before Christmas! So of course he was all miserable and depressed last night. He doesn't know what to do, he has been at this company 3 years and this is the first time anyone has told him that his work isn't okay. The company is a little screwy though, they hired and let go this one guy that was making everyone's life miserable but they haven't really hired someone to take his place so no one is really certain who is in charge of this particular department. Actually it sounds like the 2 guys that did the review don't really know much about the department, they were just going on the info given to them by someone else. Does that make any sense? Well my hubby was going to talk to a buddy of his in the same department and see if he can't get some help figuring out what to do. I told him that if he gets fired and doesn't get something else right away that he can stay home with Drake and I'll go back to work. I don't want to, I get maternity benefits for a whole year and I'd like to take all of that time but if I have to go back to work than I have to go back to work.

This is just a terrible time to try and eat healthy. everywhere you look there are chocolates, cookies, egg nog etc etc. Yesterday I was having all this anxiety over my hubby's job that I ate like there was no tomorrow. My walks have been kind of sporadic too with trying to get ready for Xmas. I just don't seem to have the ambition to do much else after I do my shopping. I hope things will get back to normal after next week.

Drake is doing very well. He is almost turning over by himself. He'll get over on his side and stay there. It is so cute! When do you know when your baby is ready to start real food? I've heard anywhere from 4-6 months, how do you decide?

Geneve - congrats on the 6lbs!!!!:) That is so great! See things are looking up.

Barb - that is a great idea to make your presents, I wish I was that crafty.

Sue - glad to hear that Megan doesn't have RSV, I hope she is better now. Were you able to make the cookies without eating the dough? I am the other way around, I don't like unbaked cookie dough but I can't get away from the finished product!

Take care all.

SueMoo
12-20-2001, 03:02 PM
Hi all. Oh Jen, that just STINKS! :( I remember once when a group of people from my old work's headquarters in another city came in and did a review/audit of the whole office. These people had NO IDEA what we did in Las Vegas, had NO IDEA what the dynamics of our economy or marketplace were, and they just ripped the office to shreds in their report, and fired the office manager, who was actually doing a great job. It was so hard on everyone, on everyone's morale, because it was all so off-base and unfair. Your poor DH. I hope that he can get it straightened out. That is so unfair... Wow, you get maternity benefits for a whole year! That is fantastic. Is that mandated by the government, or ?

About the food - I've heard you should wait till at least 4 months, but my MIL gave it to her kids from 6 weeks on. Who knows!?! Megan is almost 17 weeks and we just barely started feeding her cereal this week. I give it to her once a day. She doesn't seem to like it very much. She swishes it around in her mouth, and then pushes it out. Not much goes down the hatch. She still has a tongue thrust though, so she might not be ready yet. Hopefully she'll get the hang of it soon.

Barb - wow, that's terrific that you are making your presents. How do you find the time? How big was Isabella at her appointment? How are YOU doing, health wise?

Geneve - where are you - come back to us! :D

I decided not to do my baking on Wednesday, instead I just bought little presents for the people I was baking for. So I dodged the bullet, temporarily. I HAVE to bake on Saturday, for a family party on Sunday. We'll see how that goes. Yesterday for dinner I had 3 servings of chocolate-orange sticks. Very healthy, I know. I felt sick afterwards, so I skipped my ACTUAL dinner. Oh well! And once again, I didn't exercise. Bad me. :o

Take care all... - Sue

249: Highest preg weight/225:Joined WW/203:Current/150: Goal

geneve
12-20-2001, 05:18 PM
Hi all, i'm here and posting but my PC is playing up and keeps wiping, so quickly
Jen, big hug to you , i'm so sorry you have such a worry over xmas.
Pleased Megan O.K
I've had a big fight with my Mum and found out what was bugging ted, he was being bullied by an older child at school, but all sorted now i went and beat the kid up..only joking, but i felt like it. Letters and calls and a meeting and all should be well.
If the pC don't get fixed just wanted to say a merry christmas to you all, and I pray we will have a happier new year with peace and healing.
Never marry a sytems engineer, they break them , they are too busy to fix them and don't understand why it's so important.:dizzy:
Geneve xx

Jen
12-25-2001, 12:23 PM
[B]MERRY CHRISTMAS!!![B]

Hi all. Just waiting for the hubby to finish getting ready to go out to the parents. Hope everyone is having a good day. Talk to you later.

Jen
12-27-2001, 09:00 AM
Hi all. I just wanted to share a bit of a revelation that I had the other day. I finally figured out why I am having so much trouble losing weight. Well the thing is that I think that I previously thought I was going to lose weight like crazy once I was on maternity leave and didn't have to go to work. I figured I would have lots of free time to exercise and do other things that would help me to lose weight. so here I've been going along since the baby was born and I really haven't lost any weight. I took off most of my pregnacy weight and that was it. I know I have to give my body a chance to recover after being pregnant and giving birth and yes the baby does take up a bit of time but at this point I really do have a lot of time where I am really not doing anything, just being lazy. So my big revelation is that losing weight really has nothing to do with having all this time off work, the fact that I am not losing weight is because I haven't changed. I still have the same rotten eating habits I ever had and all the time off in the world isn't going to change that. I've put on a few pounds these past few weeks because I've been indulging way too much in holiday goodies and not exercising as much and I think I am retaining water because I am not drinking enough. I think I am finally ready to change some of these terrible habits so that I can lose some weight. Can anyone else relate to any of this?

Hope everyone is having a nice holiday with their babies and enjoying their first Christmas. Take care all.

Sue - yes the govt gives us 35 weeks of pregnacy leave and then 15 weeks of parental leave which either the father or mother can take. Also my work tops up my benefits so right now I am getting about 84% of my regular wages. I'm really glad that I'm able to take so much time off to spend with Drake. I started him on a bit of cereal last night which he seemed to take okay but he was a bit sleepy so maybe he was just too tired to put up a fight. We'll give it another try today. The hubby is okay now, he talked to some people at work and they were all really surprised that he had such a poor review and gave him some help trying to sort things out so that he will have a better review next time. A lot of the problem too is that the people that did the review weren't really qualified to do the review, they don't work in his department enough to know how well he does work, I think they were going on something someone told them about one small incident that got blown out of proportion. the whole department is disorganized and doesn't really have one person in charge which doens't help.

SueMoo
12-27-2001, 04:19 PM
That's it - I'm moving to Canada. :> Great benefits. I know what you mean Jen. I have horrible habits too. We just have to create new habits, which is SO hard.

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday. I had a great holiday with family and friends, but I've been eating out of control since Sunday. I haven't gotten back on the scale to see how much I've gained. I was going to start back up with my "healthy eating" yesterday, but DH's Christmas stocking was too tempting - too many good kinds of chocolate. So, today I started again. I'm doing o.k. so far - but I have to go to dinner with the people I work for tonight, and they are taking us to an ultra fancy restaurant. I'm not a fancy type of gal, so I'm not looking forward to it. I figure I'll stick with some kind of grilled fish... I've done enough to sabotage myself in the last couple of days without going even FURTHER off plan. I don't want to ruin all of my progress.

I haven't exercised in quite a while - maybe 2 weeks? I'm not sure. I don't know WHY I do this to myself - I feel so good after I exercise, so why can't I work it into my day? I've GOT to find time to exercise today!!

Well, everyone take care.
Hugs,
Sue

bc
12-27-2001, 05:11 PM
I hope everyone is having a nice holiday week. I realize not everyone is on vacation...still there are festivities to go through.

My friend is having a significant birthday on New Years Eve. We are trying to give her a bit of a celebration, but many of the restaraunts are closed! Yipes this is tricky. I called around and found a couple we can choose from. This is getting tricky. I hope we can pull it off.

Meanwhile I am noticing clothes that were way too big even when I was pregnant are not only snug but are too snug!!! I have to do something about this. I am not only going to watch what I eat now, but I am going to go about it thinking this will be very long term and not short term. If I fill the house with healthy choices I will do better. Before I got pregnant I was doing WW and I found I could watch what I eat in the morning and afternoon and then eat a dinner with my family. This way I could follow WW without my husband really knowing. I think I will try this again. It worked well for me and I didn't have my husband (who is naturally slender) telling me what to eat and what not to eat.

My kids are in toy heaven now. I hope this lasts a week or so.

Barb

Jen
12-28-2001, 12:25 PM
I had a really good day yesterday eatingwise. I didn't get in any exercise though. Well it is nice and sunny out today so I think we will get out for a walk. Yesterday it was just too cold and windy. I'll really have to bundle Drake up.

Barb - I hate it when other people think they can tell you what to eat. My hubby does it occasionally even though he needs to lose weight too. Good luck with WW, I'm thinking about trying it too.

Sue - Yes Canada does have a lot of great benefits but we sure pay for it with taxes. Still at least there are some things you can count on if things don't work out. did you get in any exercise? With this cold weather I have a hard time getting myself outside and I just don't seem to get around to riding my exercise bike or using video tapes. Sigh. Things will get better though, I just know it.:)

It sounds like we have all hit a major speed bump this month. I know I've gained 5lbs! Well we all have to recommit to eating better, drinking lots of water and exercising. WE CAN DO IT!

geneve
12-29-2001, 02:46 PM
Hi HAPPY NEW YEAR.
I'm afraid I've been hopeless, i'm too scared to get on the scales and my house is FULL of chocolate. I'm sure people think 'she's fat, she must love chocolate, lets get her some'. Also DH took Ted to Cadbury land (a chocolate theme park) and cam back with loads more. Do you know, in my heart of hearts I'd like to throw it all away. I really want to be thinner and fitter, and I think I want that even more than I want to eat the chocolate.
I read some place about a woman who,when her husband left her, took the wine from his beloved cellar and left a bottle on all of her neighbours steps. I could walk down the road posting bars of chocolate through the doors...and I think I might too, it would be fun and I'd feel so good if I did it. I have this idea that a lot of my sweet eating trouble comes from never being allowed them as a kid, if there is anything sweet about I feel like I have to eat it NOW, before it goes away. I should try to get it into my head that if I really want it I can go to a shop and buy it any time.
Well, I guess I know what ALL of us will be thinking of when we make our new years resolutions. But I figure we have to do it some time, so we culd do it now. Really, not just talking about it, or having good days and bad days, but change our relationship with food, and more important,learn to repect ourselves and our bodies. Tonight I feel like I could do it. If I can figure out a way to make this feeling last for another 365 days i'd be slim and fit...
Here's to a healthy and peaceful 2002 for us all.
Geneve

geneve
12-30-2001, 06:49 PM
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION: and I'm trying to be a bit more constructive then 'I will go on a diet' because heaven knows I've been on and off a diet for the past 20 years. I'm contemplating giving up chocolate. I mean, I gave up smoking, gave up riding my motorbike (that's still under review tho') and gave up dating other men once I got married, so chocolate shouldn't be impossible. And cheese too.
I tell you what , I'll give up chocolate and cheese for a month,and every day I do it I'll put a pound in a money box, then I'll be able to buy some new paint or something new to wear.
I should give up bread, but I think that really is impossible.
RIGHT, all agreed, from Jan 1st, no chocolate, no cheese.
Come on then ladies, let's hear yours.
ALSO, do any of you have any plans for another baby?
It's troubling me....dop I send DH for the snip, or do I wait and see if the alam on my biological clock goes off?
Once again, happy new year.
Geneve

Jen
12-31-2001, 10:38 AM
I have the exact same problem with chips. I could eat them forever. We had a big bag in the house and I couldn't keep my hands out of it. I'd say to myself, oh I'll just have a couple, next thing you know I was eating handfuls. I'm going to give up chips for the new year and starting right away because we are going to a party tonight. I'm certain they will have chips!

About the vasectomy, my hubby will not have one. Well we only have the 1 baby and I'm pretty certain that is all I want to have but I think we will wait until I'm at least 40 to decide what we should do about permanent birth control. I would prefer for him to have it done as it is less invasive and can be done in the doctor's office but if he refuses there is nothing I can do about that. If he won't have it done then when I am 40 (7 years) I will have my tubes tied.

Have a happy new year everyone!

SueMoo
12-31-2001, 12:30 PM
Hey there! Happy New Years Eve to you all.

Hee-hee Geneve, you gave me my morning chuckle again. That's so insightful about the chocolate. I'm the same way about treats. Often, right after I come home from the grocery store, I want to just eat all of the GOOD things right away, that same day, as if they won't be there later on. You are so right.

I think I will give up... dried cereal. I know that sounds wierd, but that is the thing I'm having a hard time with now. I start eating it between meals, without milk, because it's a farily healthy snack, and before I know it, I've eaten half a box. Very odd. As a matter of fact, I just ate a quarter of a box of fruit loops this morning, and I feel sick, sick, sick! I will also give up chocolate and doritos.

I am going to recommit to:

- drinking more water (I've always been SO bad at this)
- exercising AT LEAST four times a week
- staying with my WW point range - ww was working so well for me until Christmas Eve - I need to recommit!

We want to have three or four little kidlets, so DH won't be getting snipped anytime soon. I think when Megan is about 18 months old, we will try for another. My siblings and I were all 2 - 21/2 years apart, and it worked out great. Of course, it took us 5 years to conceive Megan, so who knows how long it will take to get the next baby here.

Well, I'd better get to work - I am only working 4 hours today, then we are off to the malls to use our holiday gift certificates. Yippee!

Have a great day and evening!
Sue

Dreamer
01-02-2002, 12:08 AM
Hello everyone, sorry I'm such an irregular visitor!

Geneve - Another baby, yep we'll be trying before too long, like sometime this year. I haven't got my period back yet though and I want to have it back and finish breastfeeding for a few months before we start trying. I really want to try and get a boy :) Charlotte is 8.5 months now and will probably breastfeed til about one. It also depends on if I get a job - I'm being made redundant in 7 weeks. If I do, I'll have to wait a while so that I acn be eligible for $ when I go on leave.

So how is everyone? Did you ahve a good Christmas? We had a wonderful one - Charlie is old enough to be able to rip paper of presents but still young enough that she doesn't realise she is meant to like the presents more than the paper. LOL.

New Years was nice too. We had a party at our house. But so much mess to clean up and someone threw up in our loungeroom - on the lounge and all and it is going to cost about $120 to get them all cleaned. Urgh!

Anwyays my resolutions include losing the rest of my weight and getting fitter. I want to be in good shape before I get pg again. Next pg I will plan, so I won't be all shocked and scared about it and hopefully that will mean I can do it much healthier than this one. Who wants to be on a diet each time they have a baby?!

Sam
179(9 months pg)/143/130

geneve
01-02-2002, 04:47 AM
Hi everyone,
Sam EEWWWW! I think someone owes you big time for the carpet...I'm forever getting the baby wee, paint and play doh cleaned out of ours, but for once it would appear to be much cheaper here! I must admit I'm a total party pooper at New year, I've spent so many kissing strangers and being sick (not at the same time I hasten to add) now I generally see if anyone wants ababy sitter! I'd rarther go out another day, although DH loves all the looking back over the year. Oddly enough his memory is always different to mine. This year he was giving himself a real pat on the back for looking after Ted while I was pregnant and 'resting'. Strangely, I though I was giving him time to be with his son before Leo arrived, while I got on with the housework,decorating etc etc...

Well,I made one day without chocolate or cheese, even tough I had to watch DH eating both. MAde me wish I wish Istill smoked so I could have one in front of him (that's what he's giving up).
Anyway, must dash baby calls!
Geneve

Jen
01-02-2002, 10:50 AM
Morning all, Happy New Year! I hope everyone is off to a good start. I went to bed with a headache last night that just got worse overnight and this morning was threatening to explode my brains! I have finally taken enough meds that it is almost gone, thank goodness. Let me put it on a pain scale you ladies can understand. With 10 being the worst pain you can imagine (which for me was being in labour, contractions about 30 seconds apart) the pain in my head was about an 8. I've been getting bad headaches with my periods since they started up again after the baby but not usually til the day before or the day of, I still have about 6 days to go. I hope this doesn't mean I'm going to have a headache everyday til then!:(

Everything is going well otherwise, my diet and exercise are getting on track. I've been walking at the mall on days that are too cold to take Drake out in his stroller. Even bundled up well I don't think he should be outside for an hour in -15C weather, don't ask me what that is in F, probably about 20 degrees. So we've been going first thing in the morning to the mall when it isn't so busy. Next week they start opening the mall at 8am for the people that want to just exercise so we'll probably go then.

Geneve - good job keeping away from the chocolate and cheese. No chips for me either. Luckily at the party we went to the hostess had shrimp cocktail and pumpernickel bread with spinach dip. I was very good and had only a tiny bit of each.

Sue - We occasionally eat Mini Wheats as a snack, I don't think I could eat Fruit Loops though like that, too sugary for me.

Well Drake is starting to fuss, his mobile isn't keeping his attention today. Take care all, talk to you later.

bc
01-02-2002, 11:27 AM
Well last night Isabelle wouldn't sleep. John got her to sleep, carried her upstairs and one of the boys said something to him and she woke up. After that I got her to sleep and carried her up and she woke when I put her in her bed. I even tried laying her down between us and she wouldn't sleep (usually she manages when snuggled in bed with us). Well it turns out she was HUNGRY! Imagine that?! I fed her some banana and cherrios and layed her in her bed without even attempting to get her to sleep........ she snuggled down and went right to sleep. I guess she has an appetite!

I don't really believe in New Years resolutions, I think these resolutions can be made anytime you decide you want a change. However this year I am making a resolution. I bet I would make it if it were new years or not... I am going to stick to WW and I am going to exercise!

Today I did ten minutes on the Precor. I know that doesn't sound like much, but I really didn't want to do much more and I figure 10 minutes is much better than nothing. I WILL build on it. I am also sitting her munching my apple and a bowl of dry Go Lean cereal. The apple is so good I might even have another. :smug: I think I can handle the extra 2 points. :)

You know if I stick to this I might even get some new summer clothes. ;)

Sam, I think someone owes you a cleaning -if they remember ;)

I hope everyone is having a good start of 2002.

Barb

SueMoo
01-02-2002, 12:09 PM
Hi everyone! It's so nice to see so much activity on the thread.

I did o.k. with eating pretty healthy yesterday. Not super terrific, but decent - I managed to stay on my WW program. I didn't exercise, but will today. We just had a very lazy day yesterday. We were going to go out and do things, but ended up just hanging out around the house.

Barb, I agree with you, I'm not much for New Years resolutions normally, but I think that, now that the holidays are over, it's a good way to start over. (Since I didn't do too well over the holidays) Sam, nice to see you again. You lucky-duck - only 13 pounds to goal! That's fabulous. Jen, hope your headaches went away.

Well, I've got to get to work now - wah! Hugs,
Sue

249 / 225 (joined WW) / 205 (current) / 155

Jen
01-03-2002, 07:50 AM
Drake slept through the night again, YAHOO!!!!!! I heard him stirring a few minutes ago so I'd better make this quick. I was on fire yesterday, I did my walk and rode the bike and did stretching exercises. Also my diet has been tons better and I actually got through 64 oz of water, a personal best!:)

Barb - I don't really believe in resolutions either, I sort of had a wake up call 2 weeks ago and that was when I really started to put a lot of effort into losing weight. I haven't weighed in yet but I know I have lost weight.

Sue - thanks my headache did go away but this muscle relaxant I took left me feeling really light headed, still it was better than the headache! good job being OP, hope you get your exercise in today.

Take care all. :wave:

geneve
01-03-2002, 12:44 PM
Let me tell you about my exciting day. This morning I found a cheque! Several hundred punds, made out to me, from my solicitors. It was stapled to a letter saying it wasmoney left over after I bought this house. How exciting, I thought and got ready to go shopping. Then I checked the date...March 1999.
So can I pay it into my bank or not? DH says no, I'm waiting to hear from the bank and the solicitor.
SO, I have changed my new years resolutions. I AM going to open ALL my mail, even if it looks like junk mail AND I'm going to tidy up my filing/paperwork!!
When I found it I was looking for DH's birth certificate, which, needless to say, I couldn't find!Ah well, kjept me out of the kitchen for a few hours:lol:

bc
01-03-2002, 02:23 PM
Jen, I hear you on the wake up call. BTW I love that personal best........think I might go for the same. ;-)

Geneve, What a find!!!!! My mother recently turned over checks she found when going through my father's papers. My father died about five years ago. Anyway she found checks us kids had given him to cash. There were checks amounting to quite a bit and he had apparently 'lost' them. One from my brother was for quite a good amount of money. He told my mother he had the account still and she could just cash it. She did.

I haven't worked out............yet. I think I will soon though. I am starting out slowly and going to build as i get use to the workout and as I get use to setting aside the time. I did eat well yesterday. I had eaten lightly all day so when my husband brought a Chinese Buffet to go for our family I could partake with a clear conscience. The buffet was a tray filled up (presumably for one person) that we all eat off of so nobody really pigs out with it.

Today I have been hungry but I am trying to make some good choices. What do they say 6 weeks for something to become a habit? We need a goal..........how about valentine's day. I don't mean a weight loss goal as much as a behavior mod goal. Here are mine.

- to work out four times a week, if only for 15 minutes.
- to drink two quarts of water (not soda or coffee)
- to document my eating at least 80% of the week.

Ok so I have three.....they aren't super big one's. ;)

Barb

geneve
01-03-2002, 02:34 PM
Barb, i think the valentines day idea is a good one, i have a big 'do' to go to just before then, and it's with my husbands new company so it's the first time they will have seen me. I HATE meeting new people looking like this...I think they will just register me as fat rather than as a person. I know it happens, i used to get a very different reaction when I was thin, now I'm invisible, even though there is so much more of me!!
Still, the family have jusy eaten pizza, and I have had soup...still no chees or chocolate and not missing it yet.

bc
01-03-2002, 02:57 PM
Geneve, sounds like a goal to me no cheese and no chocolate......

I know what you mean about being invisible. I have been invisible for years and years. My sister lost weight (she was never as large as me though) and now I am invisible even to her. ;)

Of course it DOES show you who you want to get to know, or not.

Barb

geneve
01-03-2002, 03:20 PM
Barb, you're SO right, I have certainly changed the way I judge people, although I have to say that as a painter I don't seem to view the larger body in the same way as most. If it's any consolation,I've had some models who look great with their clothes on and nothing with them off...men as well as women, much to my disappointment!

Jen
01-04-2002, 11:36 AM
Hi all. Drake slept through another night, this is 2 in a row. Dare I hope that this is a pattern? Boy I sure hope so.

I kind of felt like the dog's dinner this morning, my stomach was really upset or so I thought. I've now figured out that it is my abdominal muscles that are a little sore, they are better now that I've gotten up and moved around a little.

I've set a Valentine's Day goal with another group to lose 25 lbs. So far I've already lost 4 lbs and I think although it is a large amount I really think I can do it. the 4 lbs came off just this past week while I was really watching my diet and exercising a lot so all my hard work is paying off.

I haven't had any chips since my post saying I wouldn't have any, luckily at the new year's eve party I went to there were no chips, she had healthier snacks thank goodness. I have that feeling too when I am meeting new people that they just register me as being a fat person and don't bother to get to know me. I'm invisible a lot as well but I don't know if that is the other person or just me because when I meet new people I tend to be very shy I suppose because of my weight. I'm probably afraid that they won't find me worth getting to know because of my weight.

Geneve - I hope you get to cash that cheque or have another one issued by your solicitors. What a nice bonus!

Barb - I have heard that it is supposed to take at least 30 days for something to become a habit. I think you are very smart for starting out slowly. I can't tell you how many time I jumped into exercise programs and gave them up 2 weeks later because every muscle was screaming.

Take care all, have a great day.:D

geneve
01-07-2002, 07:02 AM
Hi everyone,
Hope all is going well for you...is it too m uch to hope that Jen slept at the weekend?
Ate some cheese yesterday, but still no chocolate...
back to the gym today, and Ted back to school so I feel like Christmas is finally over. Am I sad? Well, I was at the school 20 minutes early if that gives you an indication:D
When Leo is in the creche they give him a bottle which is a great help as he still complains if I try to give him his milk that way.Wish I could get him onto a bottle now, he is 5 months old, and I want to go out more!
Can hear him waking up on the monitor, so must dash...
geneve

Jen
01-07-2002, 08:26 AM
Hi all. drake slept through last night but was up a little earlier on Saturday morning but not too early so I still got a few hours of sleep in all at once.

Not much new here, the weekend was not great, the hubby was in a mood so that always puts me in a bit of a downer. It is always a relief when Monday rolls around. ( I know you know what I mean Geneve!)

Take care all.

bc
01-07-2002, 01:04 PM
Well I have renewed interest in doing the weight watchers, however yesterday was a bust. :(

I have been following the plan and doing fine, however on Saturday we got KFC for dinner. That was fine because I had plenty of points so Saturday wasn't the problem as much as Sunday when we still had leftovers. Did you know those wrap sandwiches are 14.5 points?! That could be half a days intake if I wasn't nursing! Anyway I didn't gorge myself but I did figure I would eat and then just start over today.

Oh yes, another setback was my husband brought home a pint of Ben and Jerry's for me........ well for me to share with him and the two boys. That means I only had one serving but still those servings are quite calorie laden. Infact the points are 7.5 points. Way too many for me to be indulging on a regular basis. Normally I would have said no, but he caught me in a moment of weakness. :cool:

The working out hasn't jelled yet, but I am confident it will. I have to approach this as a long term thing to even get close to where I should be weight wise.

My husband has started a class that will go for one calender year. He is commuting to in every Monday and will be home late. I don't mind him taking the class (work is footing the bill) but those days where he doesn't come home until late can easily turn into days where we grab a quick dinner out. I want to stay away from that. One of the most helpful things when I am watching what I am eating is to eat at home. Going out almost guarentees trouble.

I hope you are all doing well. My little darling is now eating anything I try to eat. Amazing how quickly they grow. Oh and Geneve she doesn't really take a bottle. For us the saving point was when she could eat food because my husband can feed her that himself (and I can catch a movie).

Barb

Jen
01-08-2002, 12:33 PM
Morning all. Drake is back sleeping through the night. I woke up with so much energy this morning, it is almost starting to feel normal again to sleep 6 or 7 hours straight. We went to the mall at 8am, they have a program where you can go in the mall early and walk for exercise. There were tons of people there today, more than I expected. Mostly seniors, only a handful of people under 40. I saw only 1 other lady with her baby.

I have a question about feeding. I started Drake on rice cereal, 1T with 4T of water, a couple of weeks ago, twice a day. After about 2 days he was spitting up all day and that isn't normal for him. Of course he spits up a bit but not all day. So I stopped the cereal. I bought a different brand of rice cereal and started it again yesterday. He seemed to tolerate it okay yesterday and he had one serving today after his last bottle. He's been taking 6 oz of formula but this morning he seemed to be hungry still so I gave him some cereal and that seemed to fill him up. Now my question is how often should I offer him the cereal? I started off with twice a day, should I offer him some with every bottle and when should I increase the amount of cereal? I am seeing the doctor next week for the baby's next needle so I intend to talk to her more about this but I'd just like some info from you ladies that have been through this already. Thanks a bunch!

Barb - yes it is a new day today, I hope you are a little happier with your food choices today. I don't do the WW, I honestly don't think I could do it, trying to keep track of points would drive me nuts. Why don't you just try and walk a little everyday to get started on some exercise? It doesn't have to be a whole lot, just 15 minutes a day to get yourself started. Right now I feel really weird if I don't get my walk in. Since it is so cold and windy here now I am walking at the mall as I said and we'll go outdoors when the weather is a little nicer. I've taken Drake out in 14F and he was okay. Of course I've got him bundled up and one of those plastic covers over the stroller, he stays warmer than I do!

Take care all, have a great day.

SueMoo
01-09-2002, 03:38 PM
Hi there. Feels like I haven't posted in ages. Sounds like you've all been doing really well. I've not been watching what I eat, or exercising for the past week or so - haven't been able to get back in the swing of things since Christmas.

Luckily, I lost a pound anyway. I think, even though I've been eating more in the last couple of weeks, I'm still not eating enough to maintain my weight. So many of the foods we are eating now are healthier, more low calorie, less fat. Man, I must have eaten a lot before.

I've got to start exercising. Today is the day...

Jen, I've only just started feeding Megan cereal and baby food this month. I feed her twice a day right now, and she seems to do well with that. She gets cereal mixed with fruit baby food about an hour after her bottle, and then wait an extra hour before feeding her. (If I would normally feed her at 10, I wait till 11.) When I feed her and then immediately give her a bottle, she gets a tummy ache. She gets a vegetable baby food (no cereal) at about 4:30. Same thing with the bottle. She seems to do pretty well with this. She was a little spit-uppy when she first started taking cereal, but I think this was just her digestive system getting used to solids. Drake might have been spitting up so much at first because he wasn't ready for it?

I was talking with my sister about this, because she has a baby 2 1/2 months older, and she said that when her daughter was 5 1/2 months old she was eating 3 times a day, but still taking her bottle - just a tiny bit less of it. She is 7 months old now, and pretty much only eating table food. She was telling me that I ought to start giving Megan small bits of food - mashed bananas, peas, biter biscuits. I tried giving her bananas yesterday, but she just gave me a look like I was nuts, and kept spitting it out. I don't think she knew what to do with REAL food. By the way, congrats on getting Drake to sleep through the night!

Gotta run...
Sue

249: Highest preg weight/225:Joined WW/202:Current/150: Goal

geneve
01-09-2002, 06:17 PM
Hi everyone,
Jen, i'm laughing at the thought of you going for a walk at the mall..but I remember how cold it gets...I'm very familiar with winter in colder places. I wrap Leo up, but probably not as much as most, I don't think babies should be too muffled up. We walk along the sea front, which is wild and windy most days. I think of the calories I'm burning trying to keep warm.
Made it back to the gym today, which i am really gettinginto.
I couldn't do weightwatchers. i bought the CD but I found that by the time I had time to type it all in I'd either blown it for the day or I couldn't find the right points amount.
I'm focused on exercise and trying to eat healthily, not less. I'm very very aware of the failiure rates for diets as I think we should all be. Before I ever dieted I was maybe 7lbs more than ideal weight, all I wish was that someone had told me that was OK. I'm 5ft 8 tall with huge hands and feet so I was never going to be the size or weight I aspired to.
I started Leo on rice very early as he seemed ready. I think that if you are only feeding rice or cereal they only take a little to start with, I gave Leo a few spoons for rice for a week or so to make sure he was OK then I added yoghurt made with formula milk (don't know if you have that there) and fruit puree. I used to feed him, then give him the rice, then a mid morning feed, then milk for lunch and afternoon, then rice or yoghurt in the evening with a bottle of formula at bed time. I think it's agood idea to get them eating at approximate meal times, Leo has breakfast dinner and tea now (at 5 months) but I still stick to pureed fruit and veg, although I tend to leave more lumps in now, or make it a bit thicker. I've also been adding those little pasta stars. I make my own purees and freeze them in ice cube trays then store them. Leos favourite is sweet potato with apple, and now I put in a bit of cheese too...BIG excitement!
He has milk forst thing in the morning, then a bottle in between meals and another at bed time. I give him water with his food, but if he still seems hungry I'll feed him too, this happens rarely now.
Hope that helps! As long as Drake is sleeping and growing and healthy them you must be doing something right!
Geveve

Jen
01-09-2002, 11:41 PM
Hi all, thanks for the advice about baby food. The past couple of days Drake has been getting his rice cereal as I described before about 3 times a day. Today he had it at midmorning, midafternoon and early evening. So far he is tolerating it well and is still taking about the same amount of formula. I think I will keep to this until we see the doc next week as long as he is not having any problems.

I started my period today, luckily I didn't get the bad headaches I got the past 2 months but I've been feeling kind of blue. I went to the mall for my walk but my heart wasn't really in it for a great workout. I still walked the same amount but not as briskly as usual. Oh well, I'm trying to keep it up so I stay in the habit. I know it seems kind of funny but there are tons of people that do this every day. Tuesday morning there must have been at least 75 people when I was there. It is just too cold out, if it is colder than -10C with the wind chill factor I won't take Drake out for a walk. We usually walk for about an hour and I think colder than that would be pushing it. Today was nice but too windy, the plastic covering i have for the stroller would have blown off in 2 seconds. I got some bungee cords to put around the stroller so it will stay in place so hopefully we'll get outside tomorrow.

Geneve - congrats on getting to the gym. I don't think I could stick with WW either. I don't think I could get into having to figure out how many points every food is. I had a hard time just doing a food journal never mind assigning points to everything.

Sue - did you get your exercise in today? I know it is rough to get back to a regular routine after the holidays. frankly I'd love another week or so of taking it easy! Unfortunately that isn't going to help me lose weight, probably why I gained 5 lbs over December, well I've taken them off now anyway.

Take care all.

bc
01-10-2002, 12:08 AM
WW really isn't all that bad. The points system is easier than dealing with all the calories. It is actually a mathmatical formula taking into consideration calories, fat, and fiber. It DOES make me think twice if I want to eat something or not and it does keep me accountable. I am trying to write everything down right now, but as I get more and more familiar with it I can even keep track without writing it down. I also have a program on my Palm that tracks the points too.

Jen, you have a good point about walking. I live in an area that would be easy to walk in. Sometimes I bundle Isabelle up and take her a walk to the Commons which is an shopping area. It is a downtown street that has been blocked off so cars don't go through. It is full of cute shops, cafes, and restaurants. I can always walk there and grab a cup of coffee. I try to walk there when I need something instead of driving elsewhere. I also walk the boys to the bus everyday and (sometimes, since it got colder) pick them up.

With my first child I thought about what to feed and when, with the second I did too but less so. With this child I just let her eat anything that isn't dangerous. She still doesn't have any teeth so it has to be pretty soft and pliable. Her staple is Cheerios. Today we had sweet potatoes cooked in a bit of water at dinner. I diced up some and put them on her tray. She had a grand old time picking them up and putting them in her mouth. She ate a lot that way. She is still nursing so she gets quite a bit from that too. I love when they are eating foods because then Daddy can feed them too. I can get out then too :lol:

It is funny how food issues come up with kids. On one list I am on there is quite a bit of discussion of food and the issues the people remember from it. Nobody wants to repeat what their parents did. ;)

Ok it is getting late.

Barb

Jen
01-11-2002, 01:57 PM
Hi all. Spoke too soon about the headaches. Got a wicked one last night and couldn't get rid of it til I took a muscle relaxant and tylenol#3. I feel really tired though. Drake and I had a nap together (I love doing that!).

Barb - Drake was doing okay with the rice cereal but yesterday he didn't seem to want any so I didn't push him and the same today, he took about half of what he was taking before and that was all he wanted. I didn't give him any at lunch, I was too headachey and tired to even try, we were cuddled in bed and he had his bottle and then we both had a nap. I'll give it another go this afternoon

Anybody have any terrific plans for the weekend?

bc
01-11-2002, 11:01 PM
Hey what happened to Geneves Valentines Hotties thread?

I looked back in the forum and it looks like it never exhisted.

I did well until today. Today was my husbands birthday and while I tried to be reasonable in cooking I DID have to make a special dinner. I made Paella and tried to put healthy stuff in it. Still I had wine and I know that is more points than I want to consider. ;)

Hope everyono has a good weekend,

Barb