General chatter - What is your dream job and why

View Full Version : What is your dream job and why

shelby897
07-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Okay, my dream job is to work with disabled adults in group homes. However, I think I'm getting to old :dizzy:.

I know my weight would hinder my being able to perform this job but I think it would be wonderful someday, maybe part-time.

What would be your dream job and do you think your current weight would be an issue?

rubberlegs
07-10-2007, 10:38 PM
^ Shelby - I have your dream job. There's a lady here that is in her 80s, I think.

As for me, I think I would have made a good emergency physician: Assess, do X procedure, and ship 'em out. Yeah, I'm an ER addict. ;)

judyt
07-10-2007, 10:39 PM
If I had to do all over again I would want to work in the health and nutrition field. I find that very interesting even if I can't seem to apply it to myself.

rubberlegs
07-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Oh, and as far as your weight goes, here you just have to be able to lift 30 lbs independently. Many need help transferring from their bed to their wheelchair, etc., but some clients are classified as two-person lifts, hoyer lifts, independent, etc. As long as you don't have a bad back, you should be fine. Around here, at least, they really stress not pushing your limits (though I suspect that has more to do with avoiding worker's comp claims).

zenor77
07-10-2007, 10:46 PM
I haven't gone to school yet (very normal for my family~we get our degrees after 30. Lol.) I'm looking into a few things. Mid-wife, nutritionist, home economics teacher... Why is it, that you grow up and still don't know what you want to be???

Mermom
07-10-2007, 10:59 PM
I have been a high school teacher for the part 20 years. I know many people wouldn't think of this as a dream but I cannot imagine doing anything else. I encourage anyone who believes in young people as our future to think about teaching as a life fulfilling option.

HarpoChicoGroucho
07-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Either I want to be a travel writer (not freelance -- for Frommer's or something similar) or a film reviewer/critic (not on tv - in magazine or newspaper). I also want to write fiction -- but unless I sell my first novel right off the bat, it won't pay the bills. I want to eventually get an advanced degree and become a professor of writing or literature. If I was still at my high weight, I wouldn't even think about being a travel writer because of the airplane seats, the walking, the testing of hotel amenities (pool, gym, spa, etc.); I would just be too self conscious in too many of the possible situations. As much as I don't favor being out and about by a pool in my bathing suit, I still do it, so I doubt my current weight would be a deterrent.

nelie
07-10-2007, 11:45 PM
Before I got married, I really wanted to be someone who traveled a lot such as a travel agent who travels with clients. Of course the climate of the travel industry has changed so much in the past few years. I really enjoy traveling though and different cultures and customs.

Until my most recent home buying experience, I thought being a realtor would be fun. I feel bad for my realtor though, she is always running around and really doesn't have much time for herself or her family. I love real estate and would like to help others search for and buy their own homes.

Another thing I'd like to do is to own and operate a dog kennel. I really like dogs and I'd love spending my days with them. The only problem again would be time off unless there was a staff to cover days off.

There are other things I'd like to do as well. For now, I'm just a geek doing geeky things. I enjoy it.

beautifulone
07-11-2007, 01:01 AM
Maybe an athlete, if I found a sport I was that passionate about I think I would love it

Something where I spent my time making people feel good about themselves and encouraging them to see themselves realistically - for all of their abilities and fantastic traits - we doubt ourselves far too much. I'd like to be a mirror for people and reflect back at them how amazing they really are. I don't know what that translates into professionally.

stacylambert
07-11-2007, 02:01 AM
I have two "it will never happen but one kind dream" jobs. One would be to have my own bakery. I loooooove decorating cakes. The other would be a primatologist. But between needing a doctorate's degree, the travel, and ending up working as a professor....that's not going to happen.

However, due to my wonderful, wonderful husband I'm lucky enough that after 4 years of taking random classes in college I'm actually going now to get my kinesiology degree to become a personal trainer. I can't wait to help people make the same wonderful changes in their life that I've made in mine.

Mummy_Tummy
07-11-2007, 02:37 AM
An archaeologist who also writes best-selling novels and is a tenured professor at some prestigious University. Not much to dream about, is it? ;)

nicolen
07-11-2007, 03:42 AM
I'm working my dream job - claims supervisor for an insurance company. My job is challenging and no 2 claims are the same, even if the circumstances are similar. Nobody grows up wanting to work in insurance, but for me it fits.

My other dream job is a librarian, however that would mean me having to retrain and even so I wouldn't be earning anywhere near as much as I am now. I know money's not everything, but it's hard enough to pay the mortgage now - it would be just about impossible on that much less...

BlueToBlue
07-11-2007, 03:45 AM
My top two :cloud9: choices are:

1. Independently wealthy. No explanation needed.

2. Guitarist in a rock band. I love music, I'd love the attention and money, and I'd also love the lifestyle (I'm a night owl).

Or did you mean things that I could realistically do?

I did customer support for a software company for a year or so and I loved loved loved :love: that job. I loved solving problems for people and I loved how task-oriented it was. I picked up the phone, answered the question, and then moved on the next call. Every day I left work with a sense of having accomplished something. I really missed it when I moved on.

I have to say that my current job (I run a professional association) has a lot of what I'd want in my perfect job. I get to think about things that are very interesting to me; I do some writing; I respond to inquiries from our members; and I do some public speaking. It's also a pretty high profile position, which I enjoy. Plus I work from home full time and have a very flexible schedule. Heck, we even have our own discussion forum and when I'm in there posting answers to questions, I can count it as working. Unfortunately, there's also a lot of stress that goes along with running an organization.

Sometimes I fantasize about opening a restaurant (that serves healthy entrees in reasonable portions). I also sometimes think it would be nice to work outside, maybe at a nature reserve (but I wouldn't want to do any heavy lifting). And there are definitely days when I fantasize about being a receptionist (there's no work to take home and no waking up in the middle of the night thinking of things I forgot to do).

NightengaleShane
07-11-2007, 07:19 AM
My dream job would unquestionably be to be a full time actress, whether it's film, broadway, or both. I've been on several TV shows and an extra in a couple movies, so it's not a complete pipe dream, though my current weight HAS hindered my desire to go to casting calls and whatnot. I've gotten some offers but refused to appear because of my weight. Once I hit goal, I'll show up at nearly every casting call there is!

Being a rockstar would be nice, too. Or even just a playwright.

The bottom line is, I know I'll never be satisfied with my life until I get a full time career in the arts.

Jadeybaby
07-11-2007, 08:30 AM
My dream job-lawyer.

I'm doing my law degree now (about to start my 2nd year!) so I am getting there! Only 2 years of my degree, 1 year post grad and 2 years training to go:lol:

My weight won't affect it, most lawyers I've seen in court are fat old men so I want to be one of the few slim female lawyers:D

balloonlady
07-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Making balloon animals - and it's what I do now. If I was back in college I might choose to study marketing this time around, I really enjoy that part of running my business.

Casandra
07-11-2007, 10:48 AM
I dont know how to answer this question properly. I want to be so many things, I dont know if I can only pick one!

I am currently just a lowly graphic designer, with no day job. I have been in jobs before, but I am so much of a people person, that my last job actually had me pondering going onto anti depressants just to keep up day to day.

I am an ok musician. I can sing and play a melody of instruments. Oboe, bassoon, guitar, etc.

I enjoy sketching. Mostly naked figures of what I wish my body looked like, lol. And I love animals.

I guess I have 3 options.

1.) Beagle Breeder/Showing type person - I am very passionate about beagles. They're just so dern expensive here, but with puppies selling at $1600 a pop, having a couple litters every year with different sires/dames would make quite a bit of an income for me.

2.) Consultant - Be it design, travel, estates, or even headhunting. I want a career as a consultant.

3.) Professionally Unemployed - Part of me just wants to apply for jobs and go to interviews for the rest of my life. Maybe even give a bit of 360 feedback. This way, I would get paid for something I seem to be quite good at! Being interviewed. I never actually seem to get the job, I'm always second bested or beaten to the post, but I always get good feedback.

Sounds good to me. If I could get paid to criticize how people interview...that would be awesome.

nelie
07-11-2007, 10:54 AM
One thing I forgot to mention is I'd like to work in a good zoo with various animals. I think most zoos in the US do a lot of good work in teaching people about animals and why it is important to help our environment and save the animals. They also help preserve animal species that would otherwise go extinct.

WinterStarzz
07-11-2007, 11:14 AM
I don't know where you live, but my hubby through Hope Network. They have facilities with disabled adults, disabled youths, mentally ill adults, mentally ill youths, etc. And he's 318lbs.

As for me...I have always wanted to work at Sea World. I think that would be really awesome.

Bella2007
07-11-2007, 11:26 AM
My dream job would have to be in the fashion industry, either owning my own boutique or being a buyer. Love love love clothes!

My second dream job would be to be a professional ballroom dancer (like Dancin with the Stars). I am just mesmerized by them!

MarinePrincess
07-11-2007, 12:17 PM
My dream job would be to be an anonymous, world-famous author. Stay home and write, write, write while the world wonders who I am...mauahaha!

I'm working on my B.A. in English right now through UMUC Asia and when I get a bit closer to that, I'm going to finish my B.A. in German (which I was almost done with when the military said, "Go to Japan."). Both of which I'm working on towards my end-goal, and second dream job, of living in Germany teaching English. :cheer2:

StillTryin
07-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Well, this is a good question. My number one would be to own my own successful business and not have to work unless I wanted to..lol

But I am an elementary school teacher and love it. I just wish some of the teachers in my area that have been teaching since my husband was in school (he is 47) would retire and give some of theyounger/newer teachers a chance to get in full time. (long story in my area)

I love working with kids. I would love to put a HUGE daycare center/after school center up, with a big rec area and stations for activities. I would have to have a LOT of money for that...so if anyone reading this is a grant writer..lol

balloonlady
07-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Well, this is a good question. My number one would be to own my own successful business and not have to work unless I wanted to..lol

But I am an elementary school teacher and love it. I just wish some of the teachers in my area that have been teaching since my husband was in school (he is 47) would retire and give some of theyounger/newer teachers a chance to get in full time. (long story in my area)

My husband gave up being his own boss to become a teacher. He loves it, but I wish that the pay was better. It's a very very sad statement of American values when he made more as a professional balloon artist than he does teaching our children.

FrouFrou
07-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Actually have three...pastry chef, wedding planner or an interior designer.

OnceUponADrive
07-11-2007, 03:43 PM
I love, love, LOVE animals...so my dream jobs would be to 1) run my own animal rescue and adoption or 2) become a marine mammal trainer (dolphins are just phenomenal creatures)

No money in either of those, though. :( I need a rich hubby to support me in all my financially empty endeavors.

GatorgalstuckinGA
07-11-2007, 04:03 PM
i currently love my job...a veterinarian...but i would also love to be like the girl Samantha on the Travel Channel that goes to all these wonderful exotic locations staying at beautiful hotels and eating wonderful food and exploring cool things...i love to travel...btw...how does that women stay thin with all the food she eats LOL

changoborracho
07-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Well, my dream job is that of every little boy. A fireman. I had succesfully became one and move through the ranks to captain when my infant son developed heart problems. It was then that I stopped that job so I could be home with him EVERY night instead of just a few a week. He is 3 now and all better. I miss the job now, but I wouldn't trade that extra time with him for anything.

BoopRN
07-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Im a cardiac nurse now, you could probably say I'm living my dream. However, sometimes it seems like Im living my nightmare. Its a stressful job, some days are better than others. I guess my living my dream wasn't something that involved having people lives (literally) on my hands. I would like my new dream job to be something simple and fun (stress free) like being a cartoon voice for a tv show!

JustSharing83
07-12-2007, 04:34 AM
My dream job is to be a movie rater for the MPAA. I can't imagine a cooler job than watching movies before everyone else gets to.

StillTryin
07-12-2007, 09:19 AM
My husband gave up being his own boss to become a teacher. He loves it, but I wish that the pay was better. It's a very very sad statement of American values when he made more as a professional balloon artist than he does teaching our children.

I totally agree, I would have to go to Alaska to make any real money teaching...but oh well. If I didnt have kids, husband, ect...

Optical Goddess
07-12-2007, 09:32 AM
My dream job would to be a speaker on the optical circuit, giving classes and lectures. I love to talk in front of people and i love to learn about optical stuff. this one may actually come true. My husband is going to be taking a test in December. When he passes it, his pay will increase to a point where my working would be un necessary ( even though I will still do something.). I'm also doing a lot of learning,reading, studying,test taking of my own.... another job would be a professional animal petter. Animals are soft, and they can't pet themselves.

I've also wanted to be a writer, to write essays or social commentary.

paperclippy
07-12-2007, 04:23 PM
I have spent a lot of time thinking about this but haven't come up with a good answer yet. Here are some of my dream jobs:

- independently wealthy, i.e. no job and I can do whatever I want
- pastry chef/bakery owner
- dog daycare owner
- editor for fantasy novels
- something between librarian and professional inventory-taker

However, instead of any of these fun things, I went and got a bachelor's and master's degree in computer science and now I write software and have a nasty repetitive stress injury. *sigh* I do like my job most of the time, but it isn't my dream job.

The problem is nowadays so much education is required that you have to choose your career when you're 18. Of course I had no idea what I wanted to do back then! Not like I have much of a better idea now, though.

butterflykiss
07-12-2007, 06:47 PM
My dream job is working from home making a lot of money, just by basically sitting at my computer punching keys.:comp: ***I sound like one of those work from home commercials***:D

midwife
07-12-2007, 09:16 PM
I have my dream job. Catching babies totally rocks. That, plus I'm a mom, which is my most important job. I've also started freelance writing (published my first article this summer!) and I also have one and a half novels done. Getting one of those badboys published is my next goal.

GreatBigMonsterMomma
07-13-2007, 03:00 AM
I wanna be midwife. :D

Pita09
07-13-2007, 08:00 AM
I want to own my own coffee cafe, because I love it so!!

aymster
07-13-2007, 09:42 AM
I would love to be:

*independently wealthy so I could do good things for people/org's
*Dog Hotel/Day Care (I'd have to have the above to begin, ;))
*Jewelry designer (I do a bit of that occasionally, actually)
*Artist, esp. painting in Monmarte or on the banks of the Seine.
*Event Planner
*like Martha Stewart in my own way... :D
*motivational speaker!
*do scrapbooking for people who don't have time and make something beautiful for people to pass down through the generations....

MeredithP1
07-13-2007, 12:58 PM
My dream job, I'm doing it. Interior Designer. I'd like to be making more money doing it though. :)

charolastra00
07-13-2007, 11:38 PM
I thought my dream job would be the director of a nonprofit. However, having spent 2 months working for one, I don't think I could stand it. It's too crazy and unorganized for me to deal with.

I'd like to be an immigration advocacy lawyer perhaps if I run into a situation (ie husband, kids before I get a job abroad) where I have to stay in this country. If not, maybe working for a large international NGO like Oxfam. Also, I'm doing the Peace Corps after college, and I think I'd like to work on the bureaucracy end of the Peace Corps afterwards. Another dream job would be working for the government at an embassy.. but until I can support all of the government's actions abroad, that won't happen.

sockmonkey70
07-14-2007, 12:13 AM
My dream job is to have been born wealthy so I can be a millionaire artist and enjoy living life instead of wasting it slaving away for money. There is so much in the world I want to see...

trekkiegirl
07-14-2007, 12:40 AM
Hmmm...either a very prolific writer....or working/running an animal sanctuary, housed on a big stretch of land. Maybe do both. :p Although, I hate to see animals suffering so I would probably get my heart ripped out routinely. :(

freeqeegrl
07-14-2007, 03:34 AM
i would love to be a musician.. . .. .. www.myspace.com/neverknown you can hear me sing. although me and my bf broke up so the band kind of broke up too , but ill get back out there. I want to be a chef, personal trainer, massage therapist, um. . . . pro soccer player, writer, actress . i love everything. thats why im 20 and still not in college for a major i dont know what i want to study? weight pshhhhhhhh that only stops you if you let it :)

AriesBarb
07-15-2007, 04:01 AM
It's interesting to see how many comments were made on here about people who want to own their own business so they DON'T have to work. Maybe I'm in the wrong business, but I AM a business owner, I DO sit at my desk all day aside from the days I go to my warehouse which is only about 3 days a week for a couple hours, but the REST of the time I am on here working. There are ALWAYS things to do, if I walk away from the computer for one hour, my box is full when I return. I do have the luxury of staying home with my children and having no daycare expenses. I started out just doing what I do alone, then have slowly but surely had to hire help, each and every one needs trained. It's VERY hard to find people who want to work. Most just like getting paid LOL Anyway, I LOVE being a Business Owner, I love that I work from home, and I LOVE that my company is growing. But if anyone thinks for one second that it isn't WORK, they would be greatly mistaken. I work 14 to 16 hours a day almost EVERY day to make this happen. Just my 2 cents. Success IS out there, but in my opinion not for those who aren't willing to pay the high price.... okay, I will shut up now and go some more sit ups LOL

Barb

crazynette826
07-15-2007, 05:03 AM
I have so many dream jobs, that I don't know which I would ultimately choose. I love my current job as a NICU nurse. I get paid to rock, feed, and play with babies!! How much more dream like can I get!

However, I always wanted to work with animals. Either in a zoo or at seaworld!

And like somebody already said, a professional ballroom dancer. I'm totally in awe by them!

And probably my biggest dream job is to be a stay at home mom. Seeing as how I'm single, not anytime soon, but maybe someday!

Diana the Hun
07-15-2007, 08:52 AM
I'm currently pursuing my dream of being a recording artist. I'm a singer/songwriter and what I want more than anything is a record deal!!! It's so hard to get noticed though. My fear that I'm getting too old and won't make it keeps me up most nights. I really feel I was born to do it. You can hear my stuff at www.myspace.com/dianapascal If you like R&B check me out:)

At the moment I'm in the process of putting a singing duo together. We're going to try to get work in our local area doing gigs. I'm really keen to lose some weight so I can get onstage and really feel free to work it!!

FitinTime
07-20-2007, 02:02 PM
I know this may sound very old fashioned, but I just want to be a stay at home wife. Take care of my husband and house. I love to have dinners ready when he gets home and have the house clean.
Seriously! I know you're all thinking, "whats wrong with me". But it's true, that's what I want.
I don't care about being famous or wealthy or anything like that. I just want my husband and my health and what other blessings I get!

shelby897
07-20-2007, 02:59 PM
Fitintime -- not at all :) The sad part is I worked full time until I had my first son and thought stay at home's were pretty free to do what they want, have a very mellow day, etc. Then I quit working full time (I work part-time from home at night) and stayed home with my son and second son when he came along. My gosh -- what a crazy day to keep a house running and everyone happy. I made meals, did laundry, etc. when I worked but it's nothing compared to now. I'll admit our dinners are much better now because I have the time to prepare something nice, but the running around the kids and keeping up the house drive me crazy, especially the fact it's not a 9 to 5 day. I do enjoy having the freedom to work on whatever task I want to and not being told what to do. I wouldn't trade being able to stay home with the kids for anything but I do miss a little more adult contact!! I'm sure when they are both in school and I go back to work I'll regret that!!!

nelie
07-20-2007, 03:45 PM
I think we are all very different. I have no desires to be rich or famous, although money does help with many things :)

Personally, I really enjoy working. I couldn't imagine being a stay at home wife or mom, or even being fully retired. One reason I don't think DH and I will have kids is because he told me that he would expect one of us to stay home and take care of them, at least in the younger years. I don't think it would be him and its not going to be me so.... there is that :)

I think I have created a new goal/dream job but not sure how exactly I will execute it. My dream is to open up an animal shelter/rescue that can take care of hundreds of animals in a loving environment. I think I can make it part of my retirement plan if I work towards it so I think that I am going to at least try to see if it is possible, at least on some scale. My dream is to make it possible on a large scale but I may be able to make it possible on a smaller scale. We'll see :)

paperclippy
07-20-2007, 03:47 PM
FitinTime, I was having trouble thinking about what direction I want to take my career, or if I want to change careers, a while ago. I asked some friends for advice. I listed out all the things I enjoy doing, and asked them to come up with jobs that fit those things. One of my good friends came back and said "I think the job that fits your interests the most is mom/housewife!"

So I don't think there's anything wrong with that. :)

FitinTime
07-20-2007, 06:17 PM
Hi Ladies!
I guess what it is with me is that my first job was a hairstylist and the lifestyle that comes with that is fast. I partied more than worked. For me it was crazy, then I got out of that and worked for Honeywell at night to get myself out of that mode. Well that didn't work, it was just as bad.
So when I met my husband, I just automatically fell into the housewife role, naturally.
Another thing is we don't have children, not by choice, but it just hasn't happend.
So when I get things done at home, I'm basically free to go here and there if I want to. But most of the time, I like being at home enjoying my quiet time.
I feel organzied when my house is clean and that makes me calm, lol!
And since I've been dieting, or I should say, changing my way of eating, I have alot more energy where now I'm cooking more than usual.
So I admire you Ladies for what you do and what you want to accomplish, I think it's great. I really think it's fantastic to Nelie that you would like to open up an animal shelter. The poor animals that nobody wants it terrible to see that.
Shelby and Paperclippy, thanks for the support, I appreciate that.

trekkiegirl
07-20-2007, 10:19 PM
I thought my dream job would be the director of a nonprofit. However, having spent 2 months working for one, I don't think I could stand it. It's too crazy and unorganized for me to deal with.
I've worked for one for almost 7 years. It's a lot more work than people think. The paperwork involved when you're using various grant funds (applying for them, reporting for them, etc.) is insane...and every funder has their own set of rules and expectations. I'm not a director...I wouldn't want to be...my boss is extremely stressed, has way too much work to deal with (we all do), plus the added stress of our board of directors that are a combination of totally ignorant of what we do day-to-day, on ego trips, no credentials or experience to be in the position they're in or to offer any useful assistance, and a couple of them are blatantly and harmfully hostile. I told my boss 6 months after I started working for her that I wouldn't want her job for a million dollars. The funny thing is, that despite the craziness, the pay that is lower than what comparable jobs would pay if I actually worked in Manhattan, and the fact that there are no benefits whatsoever and I pay for my own medical, I've stayed basically because I like what I'm doing, our group works well together and gets along, it's within walking distance of where I live, I can dress casually, and there's a certain level of informality or less rigidity than I found in the corporate setting. It's actually a job that's suited my temperament, strengths and personality. And we have to wear so many different hats and do so many different types of tasks, that it's more exhausting than boring.

shelby897
07-20-2007, 10:37 PM
Nelie -- contact your local animal shelter, ours are always looking for foster homes for puppies/kittens, etc. -- I would love to do that if I had the room (I just don't know if I would ever want to adopt one of them out!!!) Just a little way to get started.