Support Groups - Join Us: 1000 minutes in one month challenge - 5% Club and Friends!

FitandFine
07-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Hi Everyone, Shorty has suggested a BRILLIANT idea to get us all moving as we head to midsummer. Starting today, July 10, the goal is to get 1000 minutes of exercise in by August 10. Can you do it? Can you beat it? Can you do the best you can?

The reason this is brilliant is becuase in addition to any regular workouts we do, we can LOOK for extra little brisk walks to take and grab some dumbells during a free moment and add the minutes. That is the energy that makes the difference in how we live our healthy lives - the energy that makes the energy, so to speak!

I hope we can get a few folks from the other groups to join us. It is so simple!

I'm Juno, and have been in the "5% club" since it started in (gulp) June 1998! And the 5% Club and many wonderful friends :hug: and 3FC are still here helping me stay healthy and young.

I'm ready. Are you? I'll be checking in tonight with my minutes!

Juno

ohmanilovegod
07-10-2007, 03:10 PM
It's so hot today!!! This is a wonderful idea because I need more motivation!! I got on the bike today and went around the track a few times. Two and a half miles in 20 minutes might not sound like much but considering the heat and the usual workout (none), it's a lot for me!

20 minutes down, 980 to go!!

Shorty
07-10-2007, 04:12 PM
I'm in! :D

Today I did 60 minute walk/run to preschool and back. Gotta love that double stroller. But man...my quads are crying from the lunges yesterday.

I'm going to the water park with moms and kids this afternoon. I'll fit in some stretching then. Stretching counts!

practiceliving
07-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Can I join in? This sounds like just the motivation I need to get off my butt more often.

Pita09
07-10-2007, 09:25 PM
This is just the exercise challenge that I need! I restarted losing weight July 1st and went back to Curves yesterday. I also bought an exercise ball for home workouts.

Count me in! :strong:

FitandFine
07-10-2007, 10:51 PM
This is so cool - Welcome Ohman, PL and Pita - and Shorty a bit shout to you and thanks for the idea for this terrific challenge. I have my younger daughter enlisted too! For me it was the first Body Pump class in a few (ahem) weeks. I did not count the cooldown so counted 45 mins toward my 1000, so 955 to go! Somehow this idea has gotten me a burst of energy and resolve. Good one!

Would you believe I just had to make myself a little Excel spreadsheet to keep track of it all.

Good for you Ohman for making it happen in the HEAT. Drink your water!
Way to put miles on the stroller Shorty! I think I'll be a little sore from today - shouldn't be too bad - tomorrow will be cardio...
PL I love the Martha Graham quote.
Pita congrats on Curves - and the ball is fun. I have one but sort of forget I have it? Now I can rack up extra minutes with it!

Anyone who joins late can just adjust down the number of minutes to make it right.

Great job!

Juno

SAB 5%
07-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Thanks for starting the thread Juno & excellent idea Shorty!!!

60 on 7/10 & 25 so far today = 915 to go :)

I have no idea how to make those rulers!!! At one time I was so tech savvy but this job gives me no time. Need to play a bit more on here!

miradoblackwarrior
07-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks, Shorty and Juno! Yes, I would like to join in as well. I'm starting today, 'cause this is the first chance I've had to read these posts.

Gosh, a whole 1000 minutes. Can I make it?

practiceliving
07-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Got in 60 minutes last night - my softball game was 90mins, but I was only actively playing for 60, while the rest was spent sitting on the hill in between at-bats. 940minutes to go!

Juno - I've got a spreadsheet for all my weight loss stats - weight, exercise, measurements. I'm a big nerd and darn proud of it! ;) And that Martha Graham quote is part of a longer quote that I *love* and is a huge motivation for me.

Everyone - what types of exercise will you be using for your 1000mins?

Pita09
07-11-2007, 09:03 PM
30 more today at Curves :smug:

Sheryllynn
07-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Oh, this is excellent - I don't even have to keep track manually since I joined the YMCA, and am in their "Fitlinxx" program. I log all my activity on their network which I can access from the web, with the incentive of free stuff that I don't need!

Today's the 11th, so we started yesterday, right? I have 120 minutes down already! Yesterday I did my first Pilates class ever (60 minutes of exquisite torture, oh yes, I'll be back), and today another hour of a more conventional workout. Now that the weather is cooling off here, tomorrow I'm planning a hike in a hilly park near my house, the dog will love that.

I have heard for years, and even experienced in the distant past, how much excercise helps your mood. Well, I have been happier in the last month or so than I have been in years (once I got over the "this is killing me" hump). I wish I had started this long ago, but I've started now, and "that's a good thing," in my best Martha voice. :cool:

FitandFine
07-12-2007, 01:20 AM
Hi everyone! Way to go -

I did another 45 mins today, 40 mins on the treadmill and 5 mins of abs. After the Body Pump yesterday I was suprised at how SORE I was this morning. I didn't think it had been that long, and I went reasonably light on the weights. I love that sore feeling so I know I did something good for myself!

I know that tomorrow is going to be nuts, so my total of 90 minutes means I can make it a bye day if that is how it works out. And, if I can carve a 10 or 15 minute workout somehow, it counts!

HOORAY Sheryl, I'm so glad you are with us. Very cool that you already are at it - I agree that exercise is wonderful for the mood and outlook. Everytime I take a break from exercise and then return I ask myself "why would I ever want to live without this great feeling?" I also sleep like a boulder when I'm getting back in shape.

Good work Pita for Curves. Curves is a great franchise. Remember the movie where they said "If we build it they will come" - well if you go your body won't have a choice, it will respond. Perfect.

PL the spreadsheet is fun. I don't have measurements on it, but I go more by how tight my jeans are etc. I can see myself tweaking it over time. Good for you with a big 60 mins. To answer your question, in summer mostly I hike (I'm a brisk walker) and go to Body Pump. I also use the treadmill, which I like to do at a walk on a 6.0 incline, and use the elliptical. I attend Body Pump classes, which is endurance weight training set to music, an excellent program in my opinion. If I do weights at home I do some sort of Joyce Vedral modified thing. At the club I can do free weights and/or machines. I'm open to other ideas. I may dust off my jogging shoes!

Mirado, welcome! 1000 is a lot of minutes, let's all aim for it - if someone ends up with less minutes then the next month the goal would be to meet or beat your minutes from the last month! Let us know how you did today.

YAH Steph. I don't know how to make the rulers either, but there is a sticky about it on the admin page. Maybe I'll make one for my minutes.

Great Work everyone. Thanks for joining, each and every one of you.

Juno

miradoblackwarrior
07-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Okay, first post--
55 minute walk yesterday--
1000 - 55 = 945 minutes to go!

Shorty
07-12-2007, 03:40 PM
So glad to have you all join us! What a perfect time of year to start something like this, too.

In our city we have another challenge called the Low Car Diet. I'm not officially doing it, but we have been trying to use our car less (and we run biodiesel in our truck). So I've been walking my 3 yo to preschool and yesterday we walked to the farmer's market. It's really for exercise, but I'm glad I'm not using gas, too.

I'm using shows I Tivo off of Lifetime for non-aerobic stuff. I really like My Workout as it's varied and fun. They had a great one on last week called The Slouch Buster, which I really need. Even walking with the double jogger I'm leaning forward a little. I also like good ol' Denise Austin because she's so perky and her moves are really solid an easy to understand.

So here's where I am:
Weights/floor exercises: total 95 minutes
Walking/running: total 140 minutes

ohmanilovegod
07-12-2007, 09:39 PM
30 minutes bike riding and 10 minutes video aerobox. I felt foolish when people walked in so... I stopped and put some pants on :)

60 out of 1000! My first hour is complete. Plan on lots more tomorrow (hopefully double)

Shorty, you're almost 1/3 done!!
impressive :carrot:

FitandFine
07-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Hi guys! Great job for day 3. As I knew beforehand, my day was out of control and hence nothing to add for Thursday. But today is Friday! I need to finish work and get through a couple of appointments but I will exercise, oh yes I will exercise! (Wayne's World voice, it's Friday and I'm punchy.)

Ohman good work. Is aerobox like boxing moves with a video? I have never heard of it. Sounds like something that would be good for arms!

Way to go Shorty, I think we will raise your goal to 2000 LOL!

Mirado good for you also. Walking to New Zealand, that is awesome - I love the little stick figures on your rulers.

Must get back to work...have a great Friday everyone.

Juno

Shorty
07-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Yeah, I look like an overacheiver but know that I have a really busy couple of weeks coming up with traveling so I'm trying to get a head start.

Today:
30 minutes walking
30 minutes video workout
10 minutes yoga

365/1000

practiceliving
07-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Wow, go Shorty! Way to stockpile those minutes!

Nothing for me yesterday, and it's looking iffy for today. I'm determined to get out for a good long walk on Saturday and Sunday, though. I learned there's a track in my neighbourhood, so I think Sat I'll walk over and find it. I'm planning on starting Ct5K on August 1st, and hoping that this track will be close enough and good enough to use for that!

practiceliving
07-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Well, I owe you all a big thank you! This morning I did NOT want to get up and go for a walk, but then I remember the challenge, and got my shoes on and got out the door. I didn't go find the track, but I did walk up to the village to pay my tuition.

So that's another 40mins for me, putting me at 120/1000.

FitandFine
07-14-2007, 04:04 PM
I'm with you PL - Last night my DH was delayed getting in from being out of town on business. He did not get in until 8 pm, and at that time I had a house full of teenagers having a party (the reason I could not get out before then) - I think without the challenge I would have bagged it. But <ahem> guess what my health club has 24-hour access!!?? I got there around 9:00 and did 45 minutes, half on treadmill and the other half on the elliptical with arm thingies (they kill me) so I'm really on track. Not sure what else I will do today, I think I'd like to do some strength. I'm happy to be at 135/1000.

Shorty good strategy on the banking up. I'll be out of town for a week in August, although I'll be at my parents' and I tend to do a lot of walking there. Still, I'll follow your lead and get ahead of the game as much as I can.

Happy Weekend everyone...

Juno

SAB 5%
07-16-2007, 10:49 AM
I think my walking partner has bailed on me! But I am not worried about walking now since it is light out in the a.m. but I hope she starts back up again as we start losing light and I don't like the dark by myself with the dog. Otherwise the dog is getting mini walks and then I will be doing my serious workouts in the a.m.

I really like the Tami Webb series...I have one that has two sessions of 15 minutes for butt, arms & abs. I have been trying to do one every day along with my regular walking & running. Today I upped the weights and did the arm routine and I could really feel the difference.

On July 12 logged in 55 and today did 70 minutes = 790 to go! I will probably have no problem with this challenge but when we do it again next month I run into vacations, start of kids school and I will have to work to not let my schedule collapse!

Have a great day everyone!

Sheryllynn
07-16-2007, 10:59 PM
Adding another 165 to my previous total = 285. Tomorrow, the killer Pilates class again...

SAB 5%
07-17-2007, 12:10 PM
I am envious of the Pilates class!! I took one a few years ago but did not have a very good instructor. This challenge is helping me because I only hit snooze once and even though I did do a short dog walk, I continued exercising rather than just slowly getting ready for work. My BIGGEST challenge over the years has been getting up in the morning but M-F I have been an early riser for 1 1/2 years now. This morning it was dog walk, ab routine and 20 minutes of a Tae Bo routine.

265/1000 HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE!

FitandFine
07-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Hi friends I am at 200/1000 but I have body pump in the wrorks for today and that will add 50 min. This is SO working for me and I am feeling the effects - both in getting tired and sleeping like a ROCK and also my clothing is not pulling on me like it does when I am in my upper range. That is GOOD. I am using my little spreadsheet and that is so helpful - also keeping cumulative calories along with daily, which is a good way to put a day's low or high into perspective re the big picture.

Steph I am not a morning person either, but I love to work out in the morning - my job prevents it alas. (Guess I could on weekends heh.) It gives you a good feeling all day. My natural tendency is definitely night owl.

Go Sheryl. We have a mat pilates on Sunday mornings that is kind of hard for me to get to but maybe I'll drop in. I do terrible on the side moves, like when your legs are straight and you balance on your side on ankles and elbows? or "plank" type moves too, I'd love a way to get stronger at those.

Must keep working here, will check in later, but my plan is for BP x 50 at LEAST.

Juno

Shorty
07-17-2007, 03:27 PM
Hello! It's raining today, the baby woke up at 4 am, the preschooler didn't wake until 8:15 and we had to be at school at 9 AM so I didn't get to walk. I would have happily walked in the rain but with funky kid schedules it didn't work out. I've also got a lot of work to catch up on today so not sure if I'll fit in much, but I'm going to try to do one 15 min video and some abs work.

Over the weekend I did the usual walking but also spent SIX HOURS scrubbing my front porch (we have an old Craftsman with a long porch). It was beyond filthy and hadn't been scrubbed in at least 2 years. I didn't do it last year because I had just had Iris and I had a long recovery.

Since it was a lot of all fours and I kept my abs tight, plus lots of arm action, I'm giving myself 60 minutes there. Anyone have any objections? I think it's important that we give ourselves credit for the physically intensive things that we do besides using machines and videos to move our bodies. Heck, half the reason I want to be in better shape is to make it easier for me to garden!

So for the last few days:

7/14: walk with stroller - 60 minutes
7/15: 6 hours of scrubbing - 60 minutes
7/16: video, abs - 60 minutes

545/1000

One thing I'm loving about all the extra weight work I'm doing is watching my body get sculpted. My shoulders are rounder and broader, I'm getting some definition in my upper back, and my quads are coming back. Oh, how I've missed my quads. Until my early 30s I always had toned, strong legs, without much trying. But after I stopped running and used my car to get everywhere, they whithered away. I'm seeing more definition and they're hard again! Woo hoo!

practiceliving
07-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Hi everyone - WOW we're all making good progress.

I'm up to 210/1000. Slow and steady. I had two walks and an hour of baseball in there, but I've got to get my butt going every day or I won't make the challenge! Eeks!

FitandFine
07-18-2007, 08:23 PM
Checking in! Just got in from a brisk walk! I am at 285/1000, which is roughly average of a half hour per day, so in essence I'm neither ahead of myself or behind. I may get more in tonight too, we will see.

Shorty good for you on seeing the results from weights. It is amazing what can be accomplished but it takes consistency. I think taking credit for physically challenging chores is definitely fine, you know if you in workout level range or not. Works the other way too, brisk walk yes, leisurely stroll, nope.

PL that little hedgehog is so cute! You are doing great. Do you have practices for baseball in addition to games?

On to the rest of my day!

Juno

SAB 5%
07-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Good morning - must admit this does push me to add a few more minutes rather than find something else to do. This challenge is at a good time because it also corresponds with my need to train harder for the 2nd 5K I am running on Aug. 12

I still need to find a few moments to add some fun graphics to my posts - mine look so blah!!

Everyone is doing a great job and the fun thing is that there is variety! Pilates, baseball, Body Works, Tae Bo, walking, running, DVD's etc :) So many ways to get in a little bit of time.

I did a 45 minutes walk and then 15 minutes of ST on Wed, and then a 45 minute walk today and a 20 minute run......I am scheduled to run tonight also but it is one of those days when you are supposed to be 4 places so I am just going to see what my mood is like towards the end of my work day. We are having company Friday so I should be going home to clean!

I am losing weight again too which is nice......

390/1000.................Only 610 more to go :)

miradoblackwarrior
07-19-2007, 03:41 PM
Uh, oh--
I'm a slacker! I confess!

However, I did get in 45 minutes this week--so far.

945 - 45 =900 to go!

SAB 5%
07-20-2007, 10:46 AM
I had to get on and update my minutes so maybe I will have motivation this weekend to exercise rather than be lazy :)

30 Minute run last night and then 45 minute walk this morning. My weekend goal will be to get in more strength training rather than cardio.

Happy Friday! 465/1000

FitandFine
07-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Hi All, I'm at 335/1000 and feel good about where this is going. This weekend I have quite a time-planning advantage, as I am walking in Relay for Life. I have a couple of hours of walking built into the weekend. It is a great cause. Just send energy to stop the rain we are having!

Mirado - 45 minutes is great - and the week is not over yet. I would challenge yourself to up minutes each week and always try to "beat your best!" My other idea is to grab a couple of 5 minute exercise breaks during the day, the minutes will add up. 5 minutes doesn't seem like much on its own, but an action taken daily will definitely be of benefit and habits are what we are after! I'm glad you are here! I love your bookworm avatar!

Steph your consistency is really inspiring! I wish I could join you in spirit on early morning walks (well, not today, it is pouring) - Keep up the good work.

Today is a nutsy day and if I am being realistic sustained exercise may not happen. I seem to just get busier and busier. I need to start a new 5% thread and kvetch about this, but for now work beckons. Here is to a weekend full of minute-logging possibilities!

Juno

starzzy
07-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Hello,

I am joining a little late...I figured that as of today, because today is already July 22, I should get in "600" minutes of exercise before August 10! :running: I hope that it is alright that I am jumping in...it is nice to have the accountability!

Will you be doing another month challenge after this one..such as from August 10 until September 10?

Thanks! :)

Sheryllynn
07-22-2007, 11:30 PM
Wecome Starzzy, love the name! And I'm really impressed by your progress!

Juno, I love the idea of "beat your best". I'm doing just that each time I work out - challenging myself. I never thought it would be so much fun! I'm amazed every day how much better I feel.

I did my Pilates class for 60 minutes, killer! That is a tough class. My instructor said I did better this week than I did last week, and I said, I'll do better next week. I told her if I can master this class, I can do anything. And I believe it!

I also did 45 mintues of swimming this morning. I found these "barbells" made out of styrofoam that you can use to work out your upper body underwater, and I got a surprisingly good workout using them. And had fun, besides!

Lastly, 45 mintues on the elliptical, 30 mintues weight training.

285+60+45+45+30=465. Almost halfway there!

FitandFine
07-23-2007, 04:17 AM
Hi Friends! Hope everyone had a great weekend. Here the rain cleared up which was perfect for the relay. It was really a beautiful night. They light luminaria at midnight. My shift was midnight to 1:00 and I walked it with my 17-year-old DD. She has inherited the "brisk walking" gene, and I'm grateful for that!

I'm at 455/1000, so almost halfway there. I did some gardening today that I did not count today, but it was a pretty active weekend! Good veggies and fruit. Our gardens are starting to look pretty fun, now that we have been in this house for almost 4 years - still a ways to go but coming together.

Starzzy a warm welcome to you! The way you figured it out, "pro-rating" the minutes to the time left is exactly what I would do. Try to hit 600 mins by the 10th, and then YES, speaking for myself anyway, I am interested in continuing our 1000 minute challenge! Congrats on your awesome progress!

Sheryl you are quite energizing to read! I'm so impressed with the Pilates. It's so challenging but so effective. There is a Sunday morning class at my club (mat Pilates) and I want to get in on it probably closer to fall. I wish it was at a better time but it's up to me to figure out a way.

Tomorrow will be cardio of some kind, then strenth on Tuesday. Still feeling great. Hope to year from the 1000 minutes buddies this week as we get a bit closer to the halfway mark! Stay healthy!

Juno

practiceliving
07-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Hey all - I'm at 305/1000... racking up my minutes slowly but surely. I've been getting my exercise in bits and pieces - 10mins here and there. Not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

Planning on ramping things up quite a bit this week, and that should give me many more minutes.

Edited to add: Woo hoo! I did 30mins of Pilates tonight. Ooof I forgot how much it kicks my butt!

SAB 5%
07-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Happy Hump Day :)

I see you have two dancing creatures Practice! Congrats! I need to work on short term goals with food.......

Welcome Starzzy! Very good work that you have made all your goals! I was so goal oriented years ago and I need to find that spot again....

Sheryl - my girlfriend and I were in the pool the other day just even exercising with those noodles. They provide quite a bit of resistance when you are in the water...

Juno - the night relay sounds fun. I know the teachers here do it but not sure if we can get involved. I might look into that for a team here at work if I can find one.

I am trying to change things foodwise here one little choice at a time but know that it might be better to do some of these things cold turkey. I pulled out pictures from when I really felt healthy and can see a big difference. I have been exercising for years and am in good cardio shape but would like the definition and thinner waist line (and not to mention that my face looked better!) My 40th is in September and I would like to feel great about entering that year!

07/23 - 65 minutes which included walking in the a.m./running in the evening
07/24 - 20 walk in a.m./20 run in a.m. & 30 min. evening walk
07/25 - 40 walk (and my walks are 4.5 or faster - think I can almost walk faster than I run!!) I am really focusing on walk/running the next couple weeks for the 5K and then will go back to more varied workout.

So I am at 640/1000........

practiceliving
07-25-2007, 02:11 PM
Starzzy - welcome!

Sheryllyn - There are so many neat things to use at the pool, eh? When I took swim lessons, I was always amazed at the things my instructor had me using!

Juno - half way! Look at you go!

SAB - thanks for noticing my little dancing guys! I'm very proud of them, and can't wait to collect more! ;)

As for me - adding in that 30mins of Pilates, and 60mins at baseball last night, I'm at 395/1000. I should be able to tack on another 60-90mins tonight - my first night at beach volleyball! Very nervous about it. :S

ETA: Well, a combination of volleyball practice and getting off the bus a stop too early gave me 120minutes today! That puts me at 515/1000 - halfway!

starzzy
07-26-2007, 11:50 AM
I am at 120/600 (I joined late). It was a little on the hot side this morning, but I still wanted to exercise outdoors.

starzzy
07-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Hello...I am at 210/600...enjoy the weekend!

practiceliving
07-30-2007, 11:46 AM
After some biking on Saturday and walking all over creation yesterday, I'm up to 635/1000. I thought my feet were going to fall off yesterday!!

How's everyone else? We're almost there!

miradoblackwarrior
07-30-2007, 07:15 PM
I'm adding 180 minutes yard/carpantry work and 30 minutes WATP = 210.

From 900, that's 690 left.

I think I gotta start relying on the day to day exercises, not the huge chunk on weekends. I hurt! Ow!

FitandFine
07-30-2007, 09:40 PM
Hi there everyone! Sorry to have been a bit MIA. I had an extra client last week and that really took up my free computer time for checking in. I did my exercise though and I'm still thinking this is the greatest idea. I'm at 657/1000 and am on track to make the goal.

Who wants to keep going after this challenge is over? Are you okay with tenth to the tenth? Or do you want to use the minutes from the first to the tenth of August as ALSO the beginning of "August" so it is easier to keep track of. Note, I would LOVE to continue.

I'm the most consistent at Body Pump as I have been in a while. There is a new teacher and she is young, innovative and challenging. Ow! But the consistency is really great. Also my daughters are doing great in wanting to go to the club and work out.

Mirado that is a great insight, doing more in the week for consistency. I sometimes have the opposite problem, if I work out well over the week I want to relax and play all weekend. One idea is to ease in: Do 10 minute sessions for example. It will be easier to make a habit out of it, and then you can add a little bit at a time. Good for you!

PL you are really doing it and doing it great! Your enthusiasm is inspiring. Keep up the great work. I STILL mean to make to Sunday morning Pilates! It is Sunday at 9:00 am, what were they thinking! It is the only day I can really sleep in...okay sounds like I am whining doesn't it?

Starzzy way to jump right in and rack the minutes! Way to work it, I can see VERY well just exactly why you are reaching your goal weights. I am glad you are here!

Steph (SAB) you are so amazing. What I like is the engagement of the brain - I do think it is a mind-shift that happens for folks who successfully change for the healthier and are able to keep the changes. The important part is between the ears and it is never ending...keep it fun and keep it up!

Has anyone noticed that better eating has followed the 1000 mins of exercise? It seems that the investment in the goal has made better choices follow.

Thanks for sharing everyone!

How are YOU going to celebrate/commemorate reaching our goal?

Juno

SAB 5%
07-31-2007, 01:37 PM
No time for a big long post but everyone is doing a great job!!
Thur - 30 minute run
Fri - 30 Walk and 15 Weights
Sat - 31 minute run, 20 walk
Sun - 20 walk, 20 Weights
Mon - 30 Run, 10 Yoga

I am at 845/1000 - It feels good to be motivated in a different way to keep track of my time. We log our exercise calories here at work and get rewards but I like the time better - makes me push more because I know how to calculate the minutes in my head!

Yes I am making much better food choices!

practiceliving
07-31-2007, 05:41 PM
Woo hoo SAB - you are almost there!

Juno - I would LOVE to keep going. This has been so motivating - I love the accountability. Plus, 1000mins in a month seems so much more... doable, than 30mins every day, in a strange way. PS: I do pilates off a DVD so there's no excuse - I can do it in my pj's if I want! ;)

As for me - no new minutes to report today, but I've got baseball tonight, and my beach volleyball league officially starts tomorrow, so those should give me some big boosts.

practiceliving
08-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Well, with softball on Tuesday night, and volleyball last night, I'm up to 785/100. Yippee!

I think the remaining 215 in 8 days is totally doable, which is SUPER exciting.

Sheryllynn
08-04-2007, 08:27 PM
This is why I don't blog - I always forget to update. What with all the computer/writing I do at work, I often shy away from the computer at home. Heck, I don't journal either, so it's not just the computer!

It's been two weeks, and I was at 465 then...

The last two Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I've spent an hour or more at the gym, mostly on the elliptical. That's 360.

One hours of swimming/water walking - 60.

Two hours of Pilates - 120.

Plus the 465 - drum roll please - 945! Tomorrow I plan to swim again for an hour or so, and that will put me over the top! Woo hoo! And I'm not going to take a break, either. I have a routine now, it's working for me, and I'm going to keep going.

Looks like everyone is doing great, also! I haven't seen anyone answer Juno's question about how you're going to celebrate reaching our goal - I'd be interested in other people's ideas. After having used food for a reward for so many years it's hard to think of any other way to reward myself. I was thinking, though, that I may go out and get my very-first-ever pedicure.

I have stayed away from the scale, and I didn't have a good idea of what I've lost in the last few months, but then yesterday I had a physical exam. I had last been to the doctor six months before, and since that time, I've officially/on-the-record lost 26 pounds. :) My doctor asked what I've been doing. I told her about giving up processed foods and how I was exercising, and she said I was an inspiration to her. I asked, oh, you're going to give up white flour and sugar? She said no, she's going on vacation! ;)

Sheryl

SAB 5%
08-06-2007, 05:29 PM
Yeah I did it :) Even with some vacations and other junk thrown in here this past month - never quit on the exercise!

Wed = 40 Run, 20 walk
Thur =40 Run
Friday = 30 Walk
Monday = 45 Walk and 30 Strength Training
GRAND TOTAL SO FAR :) 1050

We went camping over the weekend and I did make a vow to run while we were there but the paths weren't good and I figured I'd end up with a broken ankle.

I am inspired by everyone's committment this month! I don't post as often or as long as I'd like but do enjoy reading about everyone and what they are doing to keep active. I am REALLY struggling with the weight issue on this end and think my biggest problem right now is the fact that this is my first "office" job in 10 years, my body obviously hates sitting this much, and hitting the big 40 - I think I do alot of things right but one key element is missing and I can't figure out what it is. I am a horrid journaler but have been cutting back on food, making better choices, and usually exercise every day. As soon as the kids go back to school - might do short daytime workout (as I can go home at lunch) and maybe see if that doesn't help. Can't do it now as they are in my way!

Sheryl - You probably beat me to the 1000 but didn't get a chance to get on before me!!

Practice - You are doing excellent and I see that you are tracking your Aug. minutes too - is that what we are starting - making it an easier date time?? I love keeping track this way!

Juno - I hear you on the Sunday morning, probably wouldn't make it then either! I have a neighbor here who wants to run at 6 on weekends but I am up at 5 on weekdays so just want to snooze a bit on the Sat & Sunday.

We did just have a new YMCA open here in our neighborhood but I think the price is quite spendy!!! We make pretty okay money and I can't afford that much for a club unless I cut out other things.....and because the kids are in other sports too I don't want to commit when I don't even know how much we can really use it. Bummer!

practiceliving
08-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Sheryllynn and SAB - WOO HOO way to go gals!

SAB - I'm tracking my minutes for August for a challenge from the 20Somethings forum, but I'm happy to use it here too! ;)

I think I've finally found someone to buy my gym membership. I think it will be a big load off once it's sold. I feel guilty exercising at home when I'm paying for it, so I use it as an excuse not to exercise. Sheesh.

Anyways - I'm at 845/1000 after some biking this morning. Will get a big boost tonight if softball isn't rained out, and then again tomorrow with beach volleyball!

Shorty
08-08-2007, 02:57 AM
I'm back!

Whew! Vacations and a conference and visiting relatives. Wore me out! I was able to keep up with walking running, though I've slacked on weight training. But I'm still on track:

All the walking/running of the past three weeks total: 385

So, 545 + 385 = 930.

If I keep up with the preschool walking this week and add some weights (because I just have to get back into that) I'll be good. But glad I banked all that time in the beginning!

And yes, I'm very happy to keep going. This has been a great motivator for me. I walked to the grocery store with the girls in the jogger this evening just to up my minutes.

So cool to see how great everyone is doing!!:carrot:

practiceliving
08-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Well between an hour of volleyball last night, and a 3k walk home, I've hit 995/1000! WOO HOO! I've got some biking and baseball tomorrow, so I'll just make it under the wire. :D

FitandFine
08-11-2007, 04:36 AM
I have to laugh - it is the end of the day on the 10th and I find I am 8 minutes short. Close enough for me - I did not count vigorous gardening or the cool down from Body Pump so I'm going to call it a success and just be honest about it! This is just the best and I am IN for the next go round. I'll have the challenge of being out of town for a week, will hope to do a lot of walking while in Oregon. We should repost for Aug 11-Sept10.

I have lost about 6 lbs and instead of the highest end of my range I'm in hte low middle. If I can peel off 3 lbs or so this month that will be golden. Being more consistent at BP has really shown a difference - I made twice a week through our challenge. Tuesday a fellow classmate commented that my back looked different to her, I have never gotten a spontaneous comment like that.

Will start again!

Juno

practiceliving
08-11-2007, 11:35 AM
WOO HOO! Thanks to two very intense active games of baseball last night, I made it to 1115/1000!

Thanks so much for this challenge all!

SAB 5%
08-13-2007, 12:06 PM
My total up through the 10th was 1275 minutes :) August will pose challenges as we are on vacation for a week (which is a very lazy vacation!) and then I have company coming in. Will just have to stick with it!

So far for this month I've run a 5K (but had a tougher time as I got one of those horrible sideaches!!) and gotten in a few fast walks. Will probably run tonight too....

75 total at this point that includes running, walking & strength training.

FitandFine
08-24-2007, 03:01 AM
Hi friends. I have been out of town but did a lot of walking. I've been really busy since return, but if I count gardening I'm pretty much on track for our second month, just not much time to post! Did anyone start a new thread? I'm game to just stay here.

Hope you are all doing great. Will visit more after the weekend!
Juno

practiceliving
08-26-2007, 10:14 PM
Hey Juno - good on ya for the walking and gardening!

Would anyone be interested if I started a thread/challenge for September?

FitandFine
08-27-2007, 02:58 AM
I think I would in fact be interested in starting on Sept 1. I'm okay with continuing but with my vacation, then school starting for the girls, plus a big basket event I've been involved with (fundraiser for breast cancer, it was today so it is over but it has been an intense week!) I think I'd welcome the Sept 1 start again and then getting our group going by the month (easier to remember.) If you want to start a thread to "shoot the starter gun" Practice Living, go for the gusto!

Everyone else okay with that?

Oh, and I'm doing Walk for the Cure on the morning of Sept 1. How perfect is that?

Have a good week friends...

Juno

practiceliving
08-27-2007, 01:27 PM
Wow Juno, you are one busy chica! :D

I'll start a thread today for Sept 1st!