Exercise! - Start Running??

View Full Version : Start Running??

Blessed2Mothr4
07-10-2007, 08:27 AM
I think I'd like to start jogging... but how to begin? I have NO stamina whatsoever. I have about 1 hr in the morning in which I can do this... and possibly not daily.

Any tips, suggestions from those who have BTDT??

Oh! And does it damage your knees?? I've heard it can be very hard on your knees and mine already crackle when I walk up stairs!! :o

LisaMarie71
07-10-2007, 08:35 AM
I strongly urge you to go to the coolrunnings.com website and look up the Couch to 5K program. With that program, you build short intervals of jogging into your walks, and your body slowly gets used to longer intervals. Before you know it, you're running for 30 minutes straight and after that, the sky's the limit!

I'm sorry, I have no idea what BTDT is, so I can't help you there!

As for knees, if you're worried you may want to check with your doctor before you start. I started when I weighed around 250 and I did have some knee pain because I was carrying that much weight, but I didn't have knee problems before that. And the pain went away very quickly. You weigh much less than that, but if you have other knee problems your doctor would have to advise you. I've been reading lately that running is NOT really bad on your knees, that it actually strengthens your bones and joints, but I don't know for sure.

Lots of people here at 3FC have done the C25K plan. I did sort of my own version of it, and now, less than a year later, I can run 10 miles. I'm training for a half marathon! You should check out the Cool Runners thread -- lots of inspiration there.

jaxjob
07-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Hi Becca,

I'm about the same size as you and just re-beginning a running program (and have BTDT before also). There's a group called CT5K in this forum - most of the ladies are using the Couch to 5K program mentioned in the previous post. I'm not - but I'm using a similar walk/run program from a book called "The Beginning Runner's Handbook" which is a 13-week program, rather than 9. The idea is the same for most learn to run systems though, start by walking and then gradually add in running intervals, increasing the running portion and decreasing the walking. Most say you should be able to walk briskly for 30 minutes before you start - the book I have has a walking program for those who want to get to that point first. You don't need to run daily - 3 times a week is best to start. You can walk on the other days if you want to do something, or cross train, such as weight lifting. Stamina will come with time, most people don't have it to begin with, unless doing other fitness activities as intense as running.

If you are worried about your knees - first check with your doctor, then get a good pair of running shoes from a running store with knowledgeable staff. They should let you try them and watch you run in them. Getting the right shoes for your foot/running style is very important.

Another way to start is to join a learn to run group. That's what I did last year (before I moved and stopped running) and it's helpful and motivating. I followed a similar walk/run program with them, with the added help of group motivation.

Don't try to do too much, too fast, and have fun!
Jax

Blessed2Mothr4
07-10-2007, 09:21 AM
Thanks ladies! I'll check out that CT5K program. Sounds good.

I just had a physical and didn't think to ask my Dr about exercise. I'll check w/ him.

need2loseinGA
07-10-2007, 10:26 AM
The website is coolrunning.com