Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 07-09-2007, 09:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/186.5/130

Height: 5'3

Default personal trainer or tummy tuck

I know this is kinda dumb, but after watching extreme makeover with that women who lost alot of weight but had to get the skin removed. Got me thinking when I do lose all my weight, I dont think my stomach will go back because it has so many stretch marks and it already hangs. But you never know. Im just sort of thinking way ahead hear. So hear is my question. Should I hire a personal trainer now, and spent all that money. Not knowing if Ill ever get the stomach I want. Or should I start saving my money for a tummy tuck, and breast lift that I will know I need. Maybe if I start saving now I can afford it down the road.
staciec878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/ticker/110

I would definitely save for the surgery!!!
You can exercise by yourself but you canīt take the skin or strech marks by yourself.. I also think that if you have in mind the surgery thatīs a big motivation for eating healthy...

SAVE UR MONEYYYYY and go to DR REY LOL!!!
Rafaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:42 PM   #3  
I See Less Every Day

My vote is to do both. Hire a personal trainer that you use 1 day a week or 2work out on your own the rest of the week. Save the money that you would have paid the personal trainer for a 3rd or 4th day and use that for cosmetic surgrey down the road. Also with cosmetic surgrey there's all kinds of payment plans some are even interest free. Good Luck!
clessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:52 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I think personal trainers will give you something very different than a tummy tuck would, so I'm not sure it's a fair either/or exchange! I personally am thrilled to have been working with a trainer and am learning a lot AND making my body stronger in the process. If I ever decide to have surgery to remove skin the goal will not be about making me stronger, but doing something different to change my body.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/tickers/127

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by clessofme View Post
My vote is to do both. Hire a personal trainer that you use 1 day a week or 2work out on your own the rest of the week. Save the money that you would have paid the personal trainer for a 3rd or 4th day and use that for cosmetic surgrey down the road. Also with cosmetic surgrey there's all kinds of payment plans some are even interest free. Good Luck!
I'll echo this. One of my sisters-in-law gained a great deal of weight when she was expecting her son. After he was born, my FiL (not the nicest methods of encouragement) told her he didn't think she could lose the weight. She didn't want him to be right, so came up with her own way of losing a lot of weight in a very short time. I don't think her method was a totally sound one (almost no calories each day and exercising at home like mad). She has admitted that she had struggled with an eating disorder at that time and during the year she got pregnant.

Because of the rapid weight loss, although she was skinny and could have been probably a size 4, she had excess skin left that just wouldn't disappear no matter what she did.

She finally had a tummy tuck in early May. They removed 5 lbs of skin!! She is so dang TINY now, and I am envious, because I sit here at 5' tall and around 204 lbs, and not even close to losing all the weight I need to.

It has really made me wonder how things will be once I do lose the weight. Is surgery always necessary? If the weight loss is sensible, gradual, does the skin regain some of its elasticity? Or have 10 years of weight gain (85 lbs heavier than I was the summer I got pg. with our son...about 43 lbs heavier than I was after he was born) wreaked so much havoc on my body that I, too, will be faced with the decision of "to tuck, or not to tuck?"

If you can afford a personal trainer, I think that is a great way to start. I liked the idea of saving the money from each 3rd or 4th day to put toward your surgery. If you don't end up needing it, you can always invest in an awesome new wardrobe!!

I think a trainer is a great thing, because he/she has had training about all this and can guide you. You will likely have guidance about nutrition and healthy weight loss, along with the exercise training. My sis-in-law did it on her own, walking like crazy either outside or on the treadmill, and following exercise videos. And she really hardly ate anything, which I know is not sound. I only ever saw her eat fat free yogurts, and then a small helping of whatever was for dinner. Hardly enough calories to be healthy.

Good luck!
luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #6  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Jet, skin can never re-gain elasticity. Every year older one grows the less elastic one's skin becomes.

Stacie-- a personal trainer CANNOT be compared to getting a tummy tuck because they are two TOTALLY DIFFERENT things.

A personal trainer can help you tone your muscles and become more fit. But, a personal trainer CANNOT remove excess skin (nor can exercise "tone" or remove excess skin, that is a myth). A personal trainer CANNOT restore your abdominal muscles either. After pregnancy and/or obesity one's abdominal muscles seperate and during a tummy tuck they are sewn together (so that you have your normal pre-baby/pre-weight abs) and this way you can have a slimmer waist.

A personal trainer CAN help you develop your abdominal muscles but he/she cannot help you put them back together again. Only a surgeon can do that.

That being said, exercise should be done REGARDLESS. Exercise for exercise's sake. It is it's own reward. Exercise is healthy for your body and should be done just for that reason alone.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I would also like to make the statement that a tummy tuck does not develop and strengthen your abdominal muscles. It removes excess skin (from pregnancies and weight gain) that is hanging there, and if you need it-it sews some of the separated muscles together.

It does not strengthen the core/back/abs like exercise does. It does not give your abdominal muscles definition from developing them. Only exercise does that. I tummy tuck doesn't mean you don't have to/need to/should exercise your abs.

Whether or not you decide to get a tuck is your own decision-but ab exercise should be done regardless.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:04 PM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

I agree with aphil. If you do the exercise - work with a trainer ect - you will strengthen your abdominal muscles and core. Then you will be better prepared for a tummy tuck - if that's what you decide to do. Stretched skin and stretch marks will not bounce back - but exercise is great regardless. I've lost 94 so far and my legs and bottom are strong from all the walking on the treadmill (yucky droopy thighs). I am going to go to the Y and work with a trainer to help strengthen everything else. I doubt I will ever be able to afford the surgery and that scares me - but I want to be as strong as I can.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:05 AM   #9  

I am having a tummy tuck on Monday. I have tried every diet out, from Quick weight loss, LA weight loss, Phentermine, Alli, Colonics, The Master Cleanse for a detox. Um what else oh yeah eating 6 small meals a day......and yes workingout 4 days a week. And still did not get the results I wanted. So after debating over surgery. I chose surgery. I can get the results I am hoping for in 5 hours instead of years. I am going to continue to follow my diet and workout after my TT. I am VERY nervous but excited as well. I had my boobs done today and will have full body lipo and a TT on Monday!
Then it's back to the gym and hire a personal trainer once I recover.
So you just have to chose what is right now you! Goodluck =)
Nika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:19 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

hmmm... I didn't realize TT's were for weightloss, but more to remove skin following weight loss. Am I missing something?
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote