Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-08-2007, 09:06 AM   #1  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Default Starting a new habit this week??

I add 150 cals for 'graze' everyday to my calorie-count because I have a habit of taking a bite of what the kids don't eat. A bite of PB&J here, a few goldfish there, a bite of toast, a bite of eggroll....

NO MORE!

If it is not on my plate, then I am not eating it.
onthetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:12 PM   #2  

This is a hard one! I am a nanny, so I am dealing with food a lot during the day. Breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack... I was a grazer, for sure. Take a bite of this and that while preparing it, and if they didn't finish it all...it adds up! Since getting serious about my diet, I keep gum on me as often as I can. Before I start making lunch, I pop a piece in my mouth. Chewing goldfish with gum in my mouth is NOT appealing... It helps keep me in line, because the instinct is always there. Now, it's just a matter of remembering to grab the gum BEFORE I start.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:46 PM   #3  
Accepting who she is

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterStarzz View Post
This is a hard one! I am a nanny, so I am dealing with food a lot during the day. Breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack... I was a grazer, for sure. Take a bite of this and that while preparing it, and if they didn't finish it all...it adds up! Since getting serious about my diet, I keep gum on me as often as I can. Before I start making lunch, I pop a piece in my mouth. Chewing goldfish with gum in my mouth is NOT appealing... It helps keep me in line, because the instinct is always there. Now, it's just a matter of remembering to grab the gum BEFORE I start.
I always cook with a mint or gum in my mouth. I learned that one at WW 5 years ago. I allow myself one bite when something it done to check for seasoning instead of biting after each spice I add.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:06 PM   #4  

I'm starting a new habit this week, of putting down my fork/spoon between bites. I seriously need to slow down when my eating. I'm hopeing it will help me realize I'm full faster, so maybe I won't eat as much...
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:16 PM   #5  

I have always eaten too fast. Maybe I will try the whole "put-the-fork-down" thing.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:27 PM   #6  

I am totally with you on this one. If I could conquer my grazing/snacking and my sweet tooth, I would be thin with no problem (my meals are generally quite healthy).
lynnm39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:51 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

I only make one meal during the week and there isn't anything but a cany machine at work so grazing isn't an issue for me. I do eat too fast though. Maybe I'll try the putting the fork down thing too.

And I'm going to make sure I stay in my cal range. No more going over and no more being under 1200.
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 245/240/150

Putting the fork down is a good idea. I'm definitely going to try it. I eat WAY too fast!
MichelleOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/170/150

Height: 5'8"

putting the fork down is definitely a good idea. I may try to start that!
I've recently realized that I often eat when I'm not hungry, and I plan out all my meals to add up to however many calories for the day, and the times I eat them and whatnot.... so I thought to myself.... what if I just eat when I'm hungry and just write THAT down... I'm gonna try that for a few days!
cagesorwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:06 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 266/260/143

Height: 5"8'

So going to implement the putting knife and fork down!! I eat way to quickly and end up eating more after the meal because of this!
Thanks!
avaroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 167/126/117

Height: 5'3

Great thread!

I'm in with the putting the fork down crowd. I ALWAYS finish before my husband. I always just pass it off on the fact that he's chattier than I am, but I know that isn't the whole story. It's time to slow down and enjoy!
LeighHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:05 PM   #12  

There's seems to be a commonality here: Many people eat too fast (I'm one of them). I wonder why this is and if this is a trait common to those who struggle with their weight. I've tried the "putting down the fork" thing, but for some reason, it just doesn't seem natural. I may try taking smaller bites. If I had the courage, I'd love to videotape myself eating. I'm sure that I wouldn't like what I'd see; that would probably do more than anything else to cure me of eating fast.
lynnm39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:13 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

I think I will hop on this bandwagon and put my fork/spoon/sandwich down between bites. I'm trying to teach myself not to devour my food so quickly; when I slow down, I enjoy my food more and reach a feeling of fullness AND satisfaction at the same time more easily.
practiceliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:14 PM   #14  
Accepting who she is

I didn't start eating quickly until I had kids. I have two high-needs kids, and I just try to get through my meal as quickly as possible.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:29 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagesorwings View Post
putting the fork down is definitely a good idea. I may try to start that!
I've recently realized that I often eat when I'm not hungry, and I plan out all my meals to add up to however many calories for the day, and the times I eat them and whatnot.... so I thought to myself.... what if I just eat when I'm hungry and just write THAT down... I'm gonna try that for a few days!
ooohhh....i could not do that. That's how i operate on the weekends and sometimes it can be dangerous. Either I eat too little or i wait until i am starving and grab what ever is closest. Not that i keep that many bad for me foods around. I do best if i keep to a schedule.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote