Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-07-2007, 03:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 153.5/107.5/105

Height: 5'0"

Default A few questions

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I finally got my fat butt into gear in March and started walking/watching what I eat and am down 35lbs in total since then. About two months ago I started working on running (well, jogging) and I'm trying desperately to get to a point that I can say I'm a runner. I can jog just over 1km now before having to stop to walk for a few seconds. I know, not much progress happening on the jogging, but I'm trying.

I still have about another 10 pounds or so to go, I'm not sure, I'll consider myself maintaining when my belly is flat and I can get my calves into a pair of tall boots.

At any rate, onto my questions.

Since losing the weight, some of it has come off in some places that I'm not so thrilled with...I know there's nothing I can do about my poor chest shrinking but my butt, which always used to be quite nice if I do say so myself now looks quite flat and downright deflated. Sorry if that's a bit TMI. *sigh* I've been doing some butt workouts but I don't really seem to be sore the next day after doing them. Does that mean they aren't strenous enough for me and aren't going to work? Does a person have to be sore the next day to build muscle? Will I ever get a cute little round butt again by doing butt workouts or has gravity gotten the best of me for good?

Oh and also for the runners out there....do you EVER get to a point in the running that your legs stop aching, you know...that whole muscle memory thing?
goinforthegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM   #2  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I can answer the second question if not the first - yes, absolutely. Well, within reason. I still get sore legs if I run at my limits - fast or long, but I can do my easy runs without my legs being sore at all. I remember when I trained for my first marathon I seemed to be constantly battling through the pain, but as you get more miles in your legs they seem happier and happier to put up with them and do some more.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 04:07 PM   #3  
banned

S/C/G: 176/155/135

Height: 5'7"

I feel your pain on the chest getting smaller part. Are you jogging on flat terrain? I good thing to amp up your butt routine would be to also jog uphill or maybe on stairs/bleachers, that should keep your butt guessing. Also which butt exercises are you doing and how often a week/for how long? I find in order for any difference in my butt to take hold I have to do strength training on it 4 times a week, for about 20 mins each time. If you happen to live by near the ocean, or some form of shallow water i've also found that joggin in water thats about a foot deep keeps my butt guessing.
Elegant Departure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:32 PM   #4  
Master of disaster

S/C/G: 269/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

I don't have the skinny butt problem. However, my friend has quite the bubble butt and claims it is due to squats while holding a barbell. I'm not sure of the weight, but it makes sense....

Good luck,
Michelle
michelle127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 153.5/107.5/105

Height: 5'0"

Thanks for the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YP1 View Post
I can answer the second question if not the first - yes, absolutely. Well, within reason. I still get sore legs if I run at my limits - fast or long, but I can do my easy runs without my legs being sore at all. I remember when I trained for my first marathon I seemed to be constantly battling through the pain, but as you get more miles in your legs they seem happier and happier to put up with them and do some more.
This actually has happened with my walking. I can go 10kms or more at a fairly good pace without even feeling it anymore. That's why I bumped it up to jogging...though it seems like I've been working at the jogging forever and not improving much. I guess I should be more patient since it is a great deal more difficult than walking...at least for me. Thanks for giving me some hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegant Departure View Post
I feel your pain on the chest getting smaller part. Are you jogging on flat terrain? I good thing to amp up your butt routine would be to also jog uphill or maybe on stairs/bleachers, that should keep your butt guessing. Also which butt exercises are you doing and how often a week/for how long? I find in order for any difference in my butt to take hold I have to do strength training on it 4 times a week, for about 20 mins each time. If you happen to live by near the ocean, or some form of shallow water i've also found that joggin in water thats about a foot deep keeps my butt guessing.
The terrain is fairly flat...there are a few small hills and it's a very, very slight slope down one way and up the other. I usually cheat and walk up the hills. I started doing the sample butt workout that's on the push.tv website...the first day I really felt it in all the right places, but haven't since. I worry that since I don't feel it, it's not doing anything. I've done it probably about 4 times in the past 2 weeks which I know isn't enough. I'm just not sure how much I should expect to be able to build my butt back up. Seems kinda like some sort of cruel joke to me, I've worked all this time trying to get smaller and now I have to work on getting my butt bigger. My body is just a little backwards, it doesn't realize that it's the stomach that's supposed to be flat and the butt that is supposed to be round. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle127 View Post
I don't have the skinny butt problem. However, my friend has quite the bubble butt and claims it is due to squats while holding a barbell. I'm not sure of the weight, but it makes sense....

Good luck,
Michelle
Thanks, I may have to invest in a barbell and try that.
goinforthegold is offline   Reply With Quote