Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-06-2007, 05:25 PM   #1  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Default Childhood fun and games CAN make you thin!

Us adults need to do more fun stuff from childhood to get in shape- I'm convinced that it's the childhood fun and games that keep you thin!

I've been hula hooping, jump roping, playing volleyball in the water, playing badminton with the kids, bike riding- all the kids fun and games are what makes you laugh, have fun, and meanwhile, you're working out! Be the end for Dodge ball- all that going up and down to get the ball and throwing it at the kids will give you a fun workout. Not to mention, once you catch one of them, dodging the ball will also give you a little workout! I'm still too heavy to play tag, but one of these days I will try it again.

More kids fun stuff during the winter that give you a decent workout- ice skating, cross country skiing, building snowforts, snowball fights, snow angels and sledding. I love to sled! That three seconds coasting down the hill makes it worth the climb uphill with the sled to go again! Cross country skiing is a blast! I use hockey skates to ice skate, because for some reason, I am very unstable on figure skates (even when I was thin years ago, I couldn't figure skate), but the hockey skates, I can move around and have some fun. I'm very slow at it, but let me tell you, I get a dar gone good workout just going around on our lake doing this, and my thighs feel it the next day!

Play some soccer with the kids, or just kick a soccer ball around in the yard. Play some street hockey (with a tennis ball, of course, heh heh). Toss a softball or baseball back and forth with one of the kids or a friend- change arms, to make sure you're working out both of them. Play a game of 21 or Around the World with a basketball. Horseshoes, croquet, Red Light, Green Light. I'm sure we can come up with a few more things to do to burn those calories.

Having fun is key for me to lose weight, and what better way than to get back to childhood games.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:21 PM   #2  
I CAN DO THIS!!

S/C/G: 360.6/335.4/140

Height: 5'7½"

Those are fantastic ideas! I don't have kids of my own (yet) but I do have a niece and nephew that love to play games. If I wasn't already the favorite aunt , I definitely would be. Thanks for reminding us that exercise doesn't have to be endlessly riding a bike that goes nowhere.
gina1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:22 PM   #3  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Great post Steelslady! Another activity my 4-year-old loves is dancing with the Wiggles or Hi-5. And she loves to do yoga with me too!
eusebius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 04:11 PM   #4  
300+ Chick

I agree Steelslady, childhood days used to play volleyball, badmition with my sister and neighborhood friends..those was the good times and now, I depend on my male friend to do outdoors stuff..which it is funny, just last week, me and my male friend talked about playing badmintion in the park. Thank you for the reminder on bringing back those childhood activties into our lives..
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 04:43 PM   #5  

Not only exercise but eating, too. I was just thinking about how I used to eat before having kids. I didn't even think about what I ate and stayed at 5 feet 4 in. and 115lb for years. It's taking me a little bit of time to remember how I did eat but I think I'm getting back there.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:41 AM   #6  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

As a kid, I hated being called home for lunch or dinner. I am still an outdoor gal, and only eat when I am hungry when we spend the day outside at a park or lake, but it's hard to be outdoors as much as I'd like with adult responsibilities, lol. Still, I get out as much as I can these days, and love every minute of it.

This week is suppose to get warmer, so hopefully, I can go swimming and play some more water volleyball and Marco Polo with the kids.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote